• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentines seek peaceful resolution in Falklands, Brits says its settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Can't remember the exact story, but I think Obama's grandfather (or maybe great grandfather) was killed/tortured by the British.

No, Britain suppressed the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya and Obama's grandfather was among those tortured by the colony's regime.

I can definitely see why he would hate colonialism in general but I don't think he's assuming the Falkland Islands are the exact same situation as Kenya. I doubt he's letting what happened decades ago influence diplomatic relations right now.

What a load of bollocks, yes, the UK did terrible things in the past, but we supported America in two HUGELY unpopular wars, and backed you guys throughout the entire cold war. Is this the way Obama treats his allies? It's no wonder we're cosying up to China.

We believe that this is a bilateral issue that needs to be worked out directly between Argentina and the United Kingdom. That’s what we are encouraging both sides to do as we head towards this anniversary… we are encouraging Argentina and the UK to work this out peacefully, to work it out through negotiations.

How does this equate to us backing up Argentina?

I know it doesn't say we directly support UK claims but we know what the reality of the situation is (its british) so why risk ticking of another friend (argentina) just to show how close we are with the first.

What a load of bollocks, yes, the UK did terrible things in the past, but we supported America in two HUGELY unpopular wars, and backed you guys throughout the entire cold war. Is this the way Obama treats his allies? It's no wonder we're cosying up to China.

The reasons the UK did those things were entirely selfish and don't pretend otherwise. UK wanted to be the superpower's best buddy.

Meadows

Banned
CHEEZMO™;35064942 said:
By saying there's something to work out.

There isn't.

Yeah, there's no negotiation to be had.

The American position is hugely disappointing and I feel that we should be reluctant to help the Americans out in any future conflicts.

Meadows

Banned
I don't buy the "we did you guys a favor" nonsense. You are responsible for your own decisions in this world.

It's called being an ally you fuck.

We help you out (as we did with Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya/Yemen/Pakistan), so you help us out by conforming to the legally binding UN position that the Falklands are in the UK.

It's not hard. Jesus.

BigDes

The American position is hugely disappointing and I feel that we should be reluctant to help the Americans out in any future conflicts.

We won't of course

When Israel/Iran kicks off either this year or next year and the US jumps in we'll be right behind them

We help you out (as we did with Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya/Yemen/Pakistan), so you help us out by conforming to the legally binding UN position that the Falklands are in the UK.

It's not hard. Jesus.

nah you do things that benefit your own nation, if you are doing something else for sentimental or other reasons your leaders are fucking you over. If the US has more to gain by backing Argentina even for appearances sake then that's what we should do.

It's not hard. Jesus.
Not only is it not hard, but saying "We side with the UK" is totally free of charge. Unlike the billions the UK has spent helping the US with their wars.

Meadows

Banned
nah you do things that benefit your own nation, if you are doing something else for sentimental or other reasons your leaders are fucking you over. If the US has more to gain by backing Argentina even for appearances sake then that's what we should do.

GREAT IDEA!

You should keep alienating a country that has backed you TIME after TIME! A country that is your 6th biggest export market (Argentina is your 30th) and a veto wielding member of the UNSC

mavs

It's not hard. Jesus.

Not saying the President should be using this logic, but nothing that came from the alliance benefited either country. Maybe Libya, but that was your thing anyway. I don't think either side should be sorry to see it end, though the right will obviously use it as a club.

GREAT IDEA!

You should keep alienating a country that has backed you TIME after TIME! A country that is your 6th biggest export market (Argentina is your 30th) and a veto wielding member of the UNSC

well if you just take it and don't complain then we get to be friends with both Argentina and UK, so the US loses nothing and gains a friend in Argentina. It makes perfect sense from that point of view.

Meadows

Banned
Not saying the President should be using this logic, but nothing that came from the alliance benefited either country. Maybe Libya, but that was your thing anyway. I don't think either side should be sorry to see it end, though the right will obviously use it as a club.

Are you serious right now?

America didn't gain anything from all those years? Let me tell you, if America had been in Helmand all of those years your casualties would have been way higher.

loosus

Banned
I do think that the U.S. should back the U.K. on this.

However, I think they should back the U.K. on the premise that it makes sense to do so, not because of "payback" or whatever for backing us in those stupid wars. If the U.K. really decided to go to war in Afghanistan and Iraq because of some stupid allegiance to the U.S. and thinks they deserve payback for it, then the U.K. is truly fucking stupid. You don't go to war for those reasons.

Meadows

Banned
I do think that the U.S. should back the U.K. on this.

However, I think they should back the U.K. on the premise that it makes sense to do so, not because of "payback" or whatever for backing us in those stupid wars. If the U.K. really decided to go to war in Afghanistan and Iraq because of some stupid allegiance to the U.S. and thinks they deserve payback for it, then the U.K. is truly fucking stupid. You don't go to war for those reasons.

Yes you do?

It's almost as if the concept of an alliance has never existed, jesus.

Row

Banned
Even if the faulklands did break away from britain, I'd imagine the island would either become an independent nation or atleast affiliate itself with a country that didn't try to invade it years ago which then planted mines everywhere out of bitter butthurt when they were walloped

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

so do i, because helping the americans out in conflicts so far has involved us in two immoral and illegal wars

stupidity with respect to honouring alliances is part of what caused WW1

loosus

Banned
Yes you do?

Fuck alliances. The U.S. (and U.K.) should get in the business of doing what's right, not sucking our partners' dicks. The U.K. of all nations should realize that after Afghanistan and Iraq.

mavs

Are you serious right now?

America didn't gain anything from all those years? Let me tell you, if America had been in Helmand all of those years your casualties would have been way higher.

I don't think the occupation would have been possible. If it was initially, it would have become impossible sooner. You know we're going to lose right? Even with your help.

Anyway what we'd lose there we'd save in Iraq. And think what you would have saved.

Backing Argentina up on something they have absolutely no claim to is something else entirely. Doing his homework on the politics and history of the Falklands is something I expect a US president to do before he makes dumb statements. Simply calling them them "Malvinas" shows his allegiance and complete lack of knowledge.

He could have just abstained from the situation but he couldn't help himself.

loosus

Banned
It seems you have a mature attitude to international relations

Again, I agree that the U.S. should back the U.K. on this. Just not for any of the reasons you stated. The U.S. should not unconditionally support the U.K.. Again, the U.K. -- of all nations -- should be aware of how this can get you into trouble since they have been there again and again over the past 10 years.

Meadows

Banned
Again, I agree that the U.S. should back the U.K. on this. Just not for any of the reasons you stated. The U.S. should not unconditionally support the U.K.. Again, the U.K. -- of all nations -- should be aware of how this can get you into trouble since they have been there again and again over the past 10 years.

Hence why we're cosying up to China!

Well done America!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It seems you have a mature attitude to international relations

look at it from the US's point of view: the UK is a declining power among declining powers (europe)

argentina is a rising power among rising powers (south america)

from the US point of view, it makes sense to support the argentinians rather than the british because, putting alliances aside, there's fuck all that the british can do if the US doesn't support them, but damaging relations with south america could have severe long-term political and economic consequences

Hence why we're cosying up to China!

Well done America!

oh NO not CHINA plz anything but THAT

look at it from the US's point of view: the UK is a declining power among declining powers (europe)

from the US point of view, it makes sense to support the argentinians rather than the british because, putting alliances aside, there's fuck all that the british can do if the US doesn't support them, but damaging relations with south america could have severe long-term political and economic consequences

exactly. Being friends with argentina is a high priority if we are to continue to have influence in South America

We've been neutral for 70 plus years. But its clear whose side were on (We gave you guys stuff during the war).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_dispute#Neutral

I just don't understand your anger at the US here. Its not like were supporting the Argentinians. We just aren't coming out and saying it. Do the words matter that much?

mavs

Exactly. It's morally disappointing that Obama doesn't back the Falklands residents. I'm not sad he isn't maintaining our alliances.
And I don't have many more neurons available to be more disappointed in Obama.

He could have abstained. This case shows Obama has no consideration for actual facts and will just go along with something because it benefits him.

We've been neutral for 70 plus years. But its clear whose side were on (We gave you guys stuff during the war).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_dispute#Neutral

I just don't understand your anger at the US here. Its not like were supporting the Argentinians. We just aren't coming out and saying it. Do the words matter that much?
Yes they do matter because the islands ARE called the Falklands. To call them Malvinas validates the Argentinian's claims. There seems this perception that because of the UK's past that we are the bad guys in this situation, let me make it clear... the Argentines were the ones who originally refused negotiations, invaded and started a sequence of events that led to the death of hundreds of people. Because of their actions they have completely ruined their chances of any discussions over sovereignty. They are the bad guys in this situation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
He could have abstained. This case shows Obama has no consideration for actual facts and will just go along with something because it benefits him.

again, why would he abstain if he can build a relationship with an emerging and likely future superpower (south america)?

If the US were to support the UK in this then it would be for the right reasons, not simply because we have an alliance. Legally the islands are British. Even if we wanted to give them to Argentina the islanders still have a legal right to self determination under the UN, and we all know the islanders would choose to be British. Argentina have no valid claim, at all, for the islands.

The right thing to do would be to back back the UK. At the very least the US should back the islanders. They aren't, they're choosing to back Argentina.

Not only are they not supporting an ally, they're not supporting an ally when that ally is legally in the right.

again, why would he abstain if he can build a relationship with an emerging and likely future superpower (south america)?

He doesn't have too. And is going along with this because it will benefit him. Which is exactly what Napoleonthechimp is pointing out.

KuGsj.gif

Not sure if sarcastic laugh or not, so...

HMS Daring is the most powerful air-defence warship in the world which can detect 100s of targets out to a distance of 400 km (250 miles) and use the PAAMS missile system to guide the missiles to multiple targets at once.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
because he's alienating a much bigger, more important ally. The UK is on the UNSC, don't forget that.

firstly, my point is precisely that we're only bigger and more important at the moment; in the not-too-distant future emerging economies are going to pass us

secondly, we are on the UNSC, so what? the US has hardly demonstrated that it considers itself beholden to the UN before

the US has virtually nothing to lose by alienating the UK, but it has potentially a lot to lose from alienating south america

loosus

Banned
If the US were to support the UK in this then it would be for the right reasons, not simply because we have an alliance. Legally the islands are British. Even if we wanted to give them to Argentina the islanders still have a legal right to self determination under the UN, and we all know the islanders would choose to be British. Argentina have no valid claim, at all, for the islands.

The right thing to do would be to back back the UK. At the very least the US should back the islanders. They aren't, they're choosing to back Argentina.

Not only are they not supporting an ally, they're not supporting an ally when that ally is legally in the right.

Yes, I am aware. That's why I said I think the U.S. should back the U.K. What I am saying, however, is that our "alliance" or "friendship" or whatever other cuddly words come into play should have absolutely zilch to do with it.

dabig2

Meh, the US reaction is an expected one. It's no different from the UN chief stating how both governments should resolve their differences peacefully with dialogue. There's no need to isolate 1 ally for another in a dispute like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom