• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argonaut to go Buh-bye

no more crappy games...
JerrySeinfeld.jpg

"Thats a shame..."

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
You know, it's sort of a shame that a lot of British software houses are going under, but -- at the same time -- it's not like any of the good ones are, yet.

ferricide

huh, a PR dude showed me an argonaut game that's due to ship next september (yes, next september) this week. wonder what's up with THAT then!

SFA_AOK

I feel bad because Vivendi screwed them around with Malice. I wonder what would have happened if it had made it out as an Xbox launch title?

Sirolf

Does anyone here know "Starglider"??
One of the best shooter ever made on the venerable atari ST...
Shame to see one of the oldest developper die like this :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's sad.

Argonaut also need props for SuperFX. They were a major technology partner of Nintendo's back in the SNES days.

element

doh!

I wonder what this will me for the other companies that Argonaut owns like Particle Systems and Just Add Monsters.

WarPig said:
Catwoman was Eurocom, so there's one thing you can't blame Argonaut for.

We can blame England in general, though.

DFS.

Sorry, David. Catwoman was developed by Argonaut under a 9 month PD schedule. There is another title ending in "man" being developed by Eurocom however...

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
MassiveAttack said:
Sorry, David. Catwoman was developed by Argonaut under a 9 month PD schedule. There is another title ending in "man" being developed by Eurocom however...
Aw, man, EA isn't giving enough TLC to its licenses again!

Renegade

Banned
ANY videogame company that goes under: I feel for them. I see that as a bad thing because, although the industry is growing, it appears as if consolidation is unavoidable. I admit: I am a semi-fan of Argonaut. they've had a string of good games throughout their company life. Malice seemed to be in a bit of malice and turmoil, though. this is BAD news IMO, nothing for the *USUAL CROWD* to go "Oh, they deserved it".

WarPig

MassiveAttack said:

Catwoman really was Argonaut? Well, I feel silly. My fault for aggressively trying to avoid any exposure to the game whatsoever.

DFS.

pilonv1

The people talking shit about Carve have never played it outside of the demo. It's not BRILLIANT but it's not Daikatana either.

Damn straight. It's got the best online code I've seen in almost ANY Xbox Live title, and it's a budget game. It's good simple fun.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
If they had a part in Stunt Race FX, then they made the greatest racer of the 16 bit generation. I waited years for my Stunt Race 64....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just finished reading their chapter in Kohler's Power Up book, and am doubly saddened by this news.

But it's not like the people that so helped to make Argonaut successful are still there anyway.

snapty00

Banned
Sp3eD said:
If they had a part in Stunt Race FX, then they made the greatest racer of the 16 bit generation. I waited years for my Stunt Race 64....
From everything I can gather, unlike Star Fox, Stunt Race FX was pretty much a Nintendo-only project.

B E N K E

It's been in the cards... They haven't been able to get their new projects signed and haven't had any success in sales for a long while. The funds had to run out sooner or later.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Stunt Race FX was programmed by Nintendo Co., Ltd (Masato Kimura, Kenji Yamamoto) and by Nintendo/Argonaut (Colin Reed, Giles Goddard). It is unclear what their side was at that time.

Star Fox was programmed by Argonaut staff but the theme, characters, music, level design, and polygon modeling was done by the NCL staff working with the Argonaut programmers in Kyoto (Dylan Cuthbert mainly).

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
MassiveAttack said:

Eurocom? Making a "*.man" game?

Oh no.

*crosses Batman Begins from 'Licensed Titles That Have A Chance Of Being Good' list*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
According to the Power Up chapter on Argonaut...

Goddard was asked to head up development of Wild Trax FX due to his prior racing experience. For his work on Days of Thunder, his unnamed and incomplete Atari ST stunt car racer, and even in the early days of the FX Chip, before Starfox, he was "halfway through" a similar project. Apparently, he went back to that code when he was asked by Nintendo to work on a FX Stunt Racer.

Top Bottom