• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane founder opens up about having the Prey name forced on his game, and why he left the studio afterwards.

PanzerCute

They also made a small dev changed the name of their game because it was too close to Prey, even tho the games had nothing in common.
"Prey for the gods" had to become "Praey for the gods". Asshole move too.

And going back on the masterpiece that Prey 2017 was, I am pretty sure the name hurt it a lot sales wise, people were very angry about the whole situation.

So yeah, fuck you Bethesda for all that happened surrounding this name.

Last edited:

SHA

Sadly, in reality, game journalists and buyers care a whole lot what a game is called, and the story of the brand and how other popular games in the genre did things, and care very little if a game is good or not.
This is no longer the case, if 90 percent of what we see don't interest us then a good game matters anyway.

And going back on the masterpiece that Prey 2017 was, I am pretty sure the name hurt it a lot sales wise, people were very angry about the whole situation.

So yeah, fuck you Bethesda for all that happened surrounding this name.
Who was angry? Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, who (a) actually played Prey 2006 and/or (b) knew about Prey 2's cancellation? I feel like we're in a major echo chamber here, because I don't recall Prey 2006 selling huge numbers. It's just fondly remembered by hardcore gamers. Popular on the Internet =/= popular in the real world.

Again, I really don't think the name had anything to do with Prey 2017 bombing sales wise. It bombed because of its genre and the publisher's outlandish sales expectations for an immersive sim.

Last edited:

Doczu

What? The horrible Native American FPS alien invasion Prey game was 2006, the way over rated horror/FPS game with the forced title was 2017. Neither were great by any means, and the only Prey that ever looked interesting was the canceled bounty hunter game.
Run

I Will Find You GIF

Mhmmm 2077

Not only it's not a sequel or remake of original Prey, it also forced indie devs to change the name of their game to Praey for the Gods

#NotMyPrey

PanzerCute

Who was angry? Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, who (a) actually played Prey 2006 and/or (b) knew about Prey 2's cancellation? I feel like we're in a major echo chamber here, because I don't recall Prey 2006 selling huge numbers. It's just fondly remembered by hardcore gamers. Popular on the Internet =/= popular in the real world.

Again, I really don't think the name had anything to do with Prey 2017 bombing sales wise. It bombed because of its genre and the publisher's outlandish sales expectations for an immersive sim.
I remember it was talked a lot on gaming message boards at the time, and Prey being an immersive sim I think it had quite an impact as these games are typically not mainstream product. It was also talked quite a bit in the press.

Maybe I am exxagerating things as it was like 7 years ago.

And then I agree with you: what mostly killed the game was the absence of marketing from Bethesda and the way they communicated about the game. I remember understanding that the game was a pure immersive sim only by watching a video they released just a few days before launch.

But still, I think the whole naming situation hurt sales, even tho it was not the biggest factor.

Top Bottom