• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

AJLma

Why do I suck so badly at the campaign?

I can't get past the first mission. As soon as I get set out on my own
After your squad leader steps on a mine
, I'm shot dead no less than 10 minutes later.

Jackpot

Banned
Why do I suck so badly at the campaign?

I can't get past the first mission. As soon as I get set out on my own
After your squad leader steps on a mine
, I'm shot dead no less than 10 minutes later.

Get the TPW recoil fixes. Guns will actually be useful after that.

TheTrain

I've made some gif from the Adapt chapter, beauty of ArmA III. <3

iIuvBlRZohLe7.gif

Greyscale #1

iiIwIrpzMSpee.gif

Greyscale #2

iwv9XAr50gESo.gif

Greyscale #3

At this moment i'm stuck in some side mission, truly amazing the freedom in terms of "mission approach". Survive was only a prologue compared to this.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415

-Mod integration in Steam Workshop at the end of May
-Bootcamp tutorial coming (better late than never?)
-Separate game launcher
-Helicopter DLC, free advanced flight model (from ToH) for the base game. Sling loading, fire from helicopters touted as features.
-Marksmen DLC. "focused overhaul of shooting mechanics; simple but challenge to master" => wind affecting bullet flight mechanics?
-Expansion in 2015, new terrain. Will be true expansion, not expandalone (like Arma 2 OA)
-Seeing how to integrate a 3d editor in game.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415

-Separate game launcher
-Helicopter DLC, free advanced flight model (from ToH) for the base game. Sling loading, fire from helicopters touted as features.
-Marksmen DLC. "focused overhaul of shooting mechanics; simple but challenge to master" => wind affecting bullet flight mechanics?
-Expansion in 2015, new terrain. Will be true expansion, not expandalone (like Arma 2 OA)

Mod support is HUGE. Having an easy way to install and manage mods will get me back into this (I know about SIX and all that, just prefer something a bit easier).

Weren't we getting a proper OT?

They should really look into Oculus integration at some point. Or do they already have it and I missed that?

They said they had a dev kit and trying to get another one, something like that I read.

Alas, resolution is very important in Arma, it would be hard to hit shit at 350m if the experience is pixellated. And try to run Arma a 75-90 fps, constant is... well, challenging.

Once they somehow clear past these technical problems, yeah I think Arma VR is a great great idea. One of the first things I thought when the Oculus Rift was shown. The free camera is already implemented, even, with the altx2 key, you have a body, the neck movement is modelled, etc.

NH Apache

Banned
Mod support is HUGE. Having an easy way to install and manage mods will get me back into this (I know about SIX and all that, just prefer something a bit easier).

I agree. Six is trash and after having it installed for at least 8 months, I still have trouble working it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Yea I have been bogged down at work pretty bad :/

Hopefully tomorrow I won't be busy and can start on all the artwork because that is the hardest part.

Foffy

Banned

-Separate game launcher

I love how after a while Bohemia takes ideas from the community and offers them as vanilla. Fast roping and shooting from vehicles have been done with mods since ArmA II, so to see them in the base game is great.

Also, I do hope that the DLCs at least feature mini campaigns. I feel for the scope of Altis, Bohemia absolutely botched it, for the East Wind campaign sure as shit doesn't take the terrain into a full military scope. It never reaches the scale of Cold War Assault but clearly aspires to be that more than most of the campaigns released since the original, even if it is perhaps also the closest. Too many of the other campaigns in the series get caught in just raw infantry that when you are given these other methods, you are seldom prepared for it.

I also don't know how to feel about the expansion. If they really want to try something new, and following the potential link in the main campaign, how would that work in an
Asian setting
? Though the way they describe it seems much more expansive than their previous expansions: Resistance (Expansion to ArmA 0) added resistance warfare, Queen's Gambit (ArmA I) added PMC concepts, and Operation Arrowhead (ArmA II) focused on a very different type of terrain than the previous entries. I am very interested to see what they do with ArmA III's expansion, which seems to aim beyond those. Maybe a World War III scenario?

Longshot

What are some good AI mods? I'm so sick of getting stomped in the campaign because the enemies can literally target me instantly, I can't even get through the second campaign because of this, fucking annoying.

DrBo42

What are some good AI mods? I'm so sick of getting stomped in the campaign because the enemies can literally target me instantly, I can't even get through the second campaign because of this, fucking annoying.

I go with ASR AI. Just make sure to tweak the config to your liking. It's a cool mod, AI will take cover in buildings if nearby or deploy smoke if caught in an open area. Also includes a radio simulation so other enemy AI in a defined distance are notified and called if another is under fire.

im going through the campaign now and its indeed pretty good, a lot better than what little of played of harvest red in arma 2. what really cheeses me off is how many shots it takes to kill enemies, makes shit really hard.

Longshot

anyone still play arma 2? thinking of going back to it for multiplayer action given how godawful arma 3 runs online.
I think most regular groups still play Arma 2 just for the content and stability. How badly does Arma 3 run for you online? It's runs fine for me, I think I actually get better performance on Arma 3 than I do Arma 2.

I go with ASR AI. Just make sure to tweak the config to your liking. It's a cool mod, AI will take cover in buildings if nearby or deploy smoke if caught in an open area. Also includes a radio simulation so other enemy AI in a defined distance are notified and called if another is under fire.
Thanks for that, I'll check it out, hopefully it'll make the campaign more enjoyable.

yeah fuck the ai

no reaction to suppressing fire yet they can reliably shoot you in the dark from 800 m away

this combined with the fact you almost never can drop an enemy in one hit unless its a perfect headshot (was not the case in the old armas)

*sigh*

I think most regular groups still play Arma 2 just for the content and stability. How badly does Arma 3 run for you online? It's runs fine for me, I think I actually get better performance on Arma 3 than I do Arma 2..

one reason i want to return to arma 2 is because of the content (i only have arma 2 vanilla which i got for free from gmg during some promotion, are the expansions aside from operation arrowhead good) because i don't remember the ai being as op but in invade and annex mp games with 20+ people my framerate just crawls

Longshot

no reaction to suppressing fire yet they can reliably shoot you in the dark from 800 m away
For some reason I read that as: shoot you in the dick from 800m away haha, not like that isn't possible here.

this combined with the fact you almost never can drop an enemy in one hit unless its a perfect headshot (was not the case in the old armas)
I hear this is an issue with how the body armour system works, it's still a bit fidgety, try pop them at least 3 - 4 times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There was workshop support last night when I played Breaking Point.

And regarding Breaking Point, it already feels better than DayZ. Less jank and bugs.

LiquidMetal14

I just wanna say that a fellow gaffer sent me a PM to the Arma 3 Breaking Point mod and it absolutely delivers in my book. I was blown away at not only how good and functional it was but how well it ran. I took some screens of my Breaking Point escapades as well as the awesome 50p co op I did today which was the most realistic and exhilarating shooter experience I've ever had. BF or anything of this type wishes it could be like this. Pic explosion incoming...

Breaking Point
arma32014-05-2922-32-52sp7.png

arma32014-05-2922-40-ttsa1.png

arma32014-05-2922-47-7ysji.png

Arma 3
arma32014-05-3018-59-russt.png

arma32014-05-3019-05-2ls8n.png

arma32014-05-3019-05-7ys2k.png

arma32014-05-3019-20-ossab.png

arma32014-05-3019-27-ecsce.png

arma32014-05-3019-29-fvsk8.png

arma32014-05-3019-29-w0s0z.png

arma32014-05-3019-34-88shu.png

arma32014-05-3019-36-udsbr.png

arma32014-05-3019-37-n5scn.png

arma32014-05-3019-37-pxs3b.png

The night time lighting and action is incredible. I was blown away.

RedSwirl

This is the closest thing to an OT I can find one the game so I'll just ask about the SP here.

I have a sinking feeling ArmA 3 is gonna be on the low during the Steam sale next week, and I'm almost done with all the official ArmA 2 SP content. Thing is, I have no intention of playing ArmA 3 multiplayer. I know this game already has a ton of fan-made SP stuff, but what's the actual campaign like compared to ArmA 2's campaign?

I actually really liked ArmA 2's campaign, or at least the idea of what it tried to do. Jankiness, broken scripts, and its general strain on my hardware notwithstanding, it attempted a lot of really cool things you just don't see in mainstream shooters. Does ArmA 3 at least feel more polished or what?

LiquidMetal14

They really dropped the ball with day z. It is already too late for that game.

It's not too late but damn if the contrast isn't stark compared to how updated and feature rich BP is.

It sucks that GAF hasn't jumped on this due to whatever reason or DayZ being a darling and being around longer but hey, when you have a competitive mod/game out and it spanks you then it deserves to be said.

And I've been one of those who loves DayZ and have been there since early on mod and own the stand alone.

Everyone who has played and loved DayZ should play Breaking Point.

Not only that but the huge improvements in Arma 3 make BP play and feel better. It also runs more stable than DayZ/Arma 2 while absolutely killing it visually.

Cross post because BP deserves more attention as well as Arma 3. It's amazing in co op with the non BP/mod stuff. And karts are a nice addition.

Foffy

Banned
This is the closest thing to an OT I can find one the game so I'll just ask about the SP here.

I have a sinking feeling ArmA 3 is gonna be on the low during the Steam sale next week, and I'm almost done with all the official ArmA 2 SP content. Thing is, I have no intention of playing ArmA 3 multiplayer. I know this game already has a ton of fan-made SP stuff, but what's the actual campaign like compared to ArmA 2's campaign?

I actually really liked ArmA 2's campaign, or at least the idea of what it tried to do. Jankiness, broken scripts, and its general strain on my hardware notwithstanding, it attempted a lot of really cool things you just don't see in mainstream shooters. Does ArmA 3 at least feel more polished or what?

As someone who has played all of the ArmA campaigns, I can try and answer this. The best way of looking at ArmA III's campaigns is literally in the episodes it was released in. Survive is sort of the introductory phase; you're often ordered around by an AI leader to do you objectives and there's not a lot of wiggle room. Adapt is where the campaign shines, as now you have full reigns in the game; you control the AI, can scout on mini-missions in between main missions, and really craft more of a style you want. It also has one of the best opening missions seen in the series, even if it's fucking brutal. Win is a bit of a disappointment, for it goes back to what Survive did, though you now have AI to control. Gone is all of the freedom and even in-between mission bits, making the last act looked rushed.

Compared to ArmA II's core campaign, there are no levels I can think of that match that sort of sandbox style. In fact, you don't control vehicles at all in ArmA III's campaign, as it's all heavily, heavily, heavily focused on infantry. As such, the game has focus and isn't really broken as previous campaigns, but the problem is it sort of blurs itself after a while, but this is perhaps if you take into account all three campaign episodes, you are talking about a 60 hour military shooter experience, practically unheard of for this sort of sub-genre.

I know I'm late, but I'm sure for a few others, maybe this is an interesting perspective. The story actually has a bit of interesting intrigue to it as well that makes the future element of it plausible.

I just wanna say that a fellow gaffer sent me a PM to the Arma 3 Breaking Point mod and it absolutely delivers in my book. I was blown away at not only how good and functional it was but how well it ran. I took some screens of my Breaking Point escapades as well as the awesome 50p co op I did today which was the most realistic and exhilarating shooter experience I've ever had. BF or anything of this type wishes it could be like this. Pic explosion incoming...

I've always wanted to get in on these huge co-op missions. Did you just land in a pub server or join up with a group?

LiquidMetal14

I've always wanted to get in on these huge co-op missions. Did you just land in a pub server or join up with a group?

Yes, it was random but the people were nice and gave me instructions on a rescue op since the previous group which went into enemy territory lost their tank so we had to chopper with 8-10 of us and attempt to extract.

That wasn't even the mission. We were picking them up to take back to base camp but instead of that, we learned from the few surviving players that we only needed to take out 2 tanks for mission success. We died from enemy flanks though

zugzug

heh, bought this on steam getting 9-13 fps on Altis life server.
yep shoulda bought my new CPU/MB and memory first.

Longshot

That is true, but I play on Altis Life and I know others who have beast systems that get 20 FPS on a good day on Altis Life servers, especially if it hasn't been reset in a while.
I can attest to this, I jump on a life server with 50+ people and the game runs like shit, but I play Breaking Point with even more people and I get close to 60fps.

its been an incredible week for ARMA 3 add ons. the MANW contest really helped extend the life of the game.

Steam Workshop
FC-37 Thunder (F35 with a different name)
F/A-18X Black Wasp
PAK FA

RHS Escalation (Armed Forces Of The Russian Federation and the United States)
vehicles
infantry
aircraft
tanks

SOCMOD
uniforms
helmets
vests

hunchback

Wow.This game looks amazing. I wish I could play but my computer would laugh at me if I tried. It is a 5+ year old build.
This game has come so far since 1999. I'm really happy Bohemia stuck with it. If anyone is interested I can have my wife post my 1999 review for Operation Flashpoint, for laughs and giggles.
I will have to build a new PC in January. I need to get back to this style of shooter. Seeing the screen shots and listening to everyone makes me miss playing this style of shooter.

People, if you like single player Arma, you should really try the MERCS campaign. It's one of the best I've played, and believe me, I played hundreds of hours of sp since Ofp in 2001,

red731

People, if you like single player Arma, you should really try the MERCS campaign. It's one of the best I've played, and believe me, I played hundreds of hours of sp since Ofp in 2001,

Perfect. Thanks man. I need something to hone my skill - other than VR or straight jumping into BR or the likes.

Top Bottom