• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Ballistic's Sandbox is awesome. Me and my friends got on Altis and just messed around, flying jets, doing whatever, (nitro boost ftw) and it was so much fun. Steam workshop integration is so good.

I'm really enjoying this game, glad I got it in it's alpha stage for cheap!

Fair enough about performance if people are having such issues, but the rest of those "issues"?

Steam forums are gaming's version of the youtube comments sections...

singleplayer was the premise when buying alpha, then they backtracked on it. don't expect everyone to know.

Jackpot

Banned
So are we out of beta yet?

36056_A21_B69_A92_C498_DBD8_D3_F68198044_BF99773.jpg

BB499_C1953507_F92_EB042042_CF864_A5_AA35_EAD3_D.jpg

Great use of PhysX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T34LlLT2fc
It's also possible to stick your gun through the tank and shoot the people inside.

Arma 2 assets cut and pasted into Arma 3, even with some of the very first A3 vehicles revealed:

Prboably explains why no one had the enuthsiasm to make an OT.

Anyone got any worthwhile single player missions to share? Been playing Whole Lotta Altis and it's good, but not good enough to be a placeholder for a real Arma 3 campaign.

Orgun

The AI retains a max knowsAbout value (4) for targets even after going prone and losing line of sight. It can spot an enemy easily through the edges of a bush, go prone behind that bush, then very accurately engage through the dense base of the bush, killing the target without ever being visible to the victim. They will then report that they have killed the target even though they have no way whatsoever to know this. When viewing this behavior through the AI's "INTERNAL" camera, it's clear that the AI is keeping full position and movement knowledge even when it clearly has no line of sight.

The result is that in gameplay against AI set to Regular difficulty, players commonly experience 'dying without ever seeing the enemy.' This isn't because the players aren't perceptive enough. It's because the enemy was *actually* never visible as they engaged -- bullets were coming through bushes with lethal accuracy. Many mods have increased AI dispersion to try to resolve this, but this problem is much deeper than that.

The video I have put together below shows this issue in a variety of circumstances on Altis. I am using Regular difficulty and all editor AI sliders are set to 0. No mods are used. I have an i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbwndKjjIHA

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14905

Please go vote this UP, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

the newest update for the F/A 18 add on has been released. amazing improvements

F/A-18 E/F VERSION 1.2 RELEASE

DIRECT DOWNLOAD

bzda.jpg

Change Log:
v1.2 - Updated 9-29-13
- new weapons added to built in missilebox
- UI for arming menu added
- UI for custom skin selection added
- 19 custom HD skins added [in separate PBO, not mandatory to use mod]
- small bug fixes/code optimization
- action menu entries tweaked to make sure pilot/WSO have the right ones
- classname for F version changed [new one is JS_JC_FA18F]
- WSO camera tweaked
- Other small optimizations

Erdem

Banned
I'm very disappointed with ArmA 3. The devs ignored the long awaited yet simple feature requests (deploying/resting weapons, switching weapons on the move, better vehicle AI, a more user friendly editor, simple FCS for tanks and helicopters, a better interaction menu, better mod handling . . . ) and focused solely on graphics and new animations.

They did a half-assed job on content as seen above and completely banked on the community. Vehicles are all the same, boring types. There are only ONE weapon in each category(AR,LMG,DMR etc) and some of them even are shared between factions. Still, wherever you mention the content you'll be swarmed with "BUT THERE WILL BE TONS OF MODS" apologists. I feel pity for mod makers, they are forced to redo their work between every BIS games to implement simple features or fix problems ever present because BIS is too stubborn to fix them themselves.

The legacy engine limitations still present since OFP are still incredibly frustrating. Like your FPS being limited by the performance of the server in multiplayer, wonky netcode with still constant red and yellow chains, JIP(join in progress) still affecting server stability.

Another point; the lack of an "official" public PvP mode. The multiplayer is infested with Wasteland, Domination, Evolution and all sorts of zombie mods again. You can't even find a populated decent vanilla PvP server anymore(remember Blitzkrieg?) and players who want PvP are either forced to join serious gaming groups which require serious commitments or not play at all. It just baffles me that BIS can't look at what PR did with BF2 and think what they can achieve with something like that in their own engine. It would be the very best next thing after DayZ.

/rant over. You get the point. I'm sick of BIS focusing on graphics and ignoring the rest in yet another iteration. They won't get my support the next time. Too bad they don't have a decent competition to drive them forward.

They won't get my support the next time. Too bad they don't have a decent competition to drive them forward.

Bohemia interactive needs to create an entirely new engine. But I don't think that will happen because they are still using the same core engine that they started with 10 years ago with improvements. These guys NEED competition...

Foffy

Banned
I'm very disappointed with ArmA 3. The devs ignored the long awaited yet simple feature requests (deploying/resting weapons, switching weapons on the move, better vehicle AI, a more user friendly editor, simple FCS for tanks and helicopters, a better interaction menu, better mod handling . . . ) and focused solely on graphics and new animations.

What's strange with switching weapons is the engine they use to make the ArmA games naturally supports it, but this feature is not in any of the ArmA titles. Their simulation product of the engine feature it, and I'm talking the build that was made as early as the original ArmA release. Very strange to see a product that looks like ArmA I support it but it's something not even introduced in II or III.

The worst thing of all is they still haven't put the classic Arma face shot wound back in! But seriously, really don't understand the rush to "release" this. I imagine it was for scores but the ones they've got are decent but no where near what it might have gotten had they waited just a few months. Game just feels barren. The improvements to the general flow and movement are great but the content is almost nonexistent, particularly in regards to weapons and vehicles, and multiplayer performance on Atlis still completely screwed. Still enjoying my time with the game though.

Orgun

Hard OCP - ARMA III Video Card Performance and IQ Review

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/02/arma_iii_video_card_performance_iq_review/1

We will be adding Arma III to our gaming suite used in reviews. We will be using Arma III in the upcoming AMD GPU launches this month, and moving forward. Arma III will be a great game to truly stress and test the graphics performance of next generation video cards.

Arma III is what I want as a graphically forward looking game. This game should be the benchmark currently for all others to exceed in terms of visual quality. The single player campaign missions will be out in free DLC format this month. We may follow-up with performance and IQ article in those campaign missions as those may be more complex and demanding than the showcases.

shuri

Banned
thanks god reviewers are removing away from those lame ass games nobody play for benchmarks. Finally, benchmarks for titles that require balls

ARMA 3 dev branch update includes new weapons and characters that tie in with the single player campaign. The update also includes rain improvements.

Bohemia Interactive released a screenshot of one of the two free jets coming to ARMA 3.
BWH9IvSCEAAXIj6.jpg:large

Foffy

Banned
it always looked amazing

Yes, but I've noticed the lighting from Alpha, which was always fine, take a massive, megaton leap in the builds closer to the present. The Showcase where you have to steal the car looks like it had the entire skyline redone due to the upgrade in the lighting, for example. Before the sun was there, but now it bleeds into the environment.

Jackpot

Banned
Yes, but I've noticed the lighting from Alpha, which was always fine, take a massive, megaton leap in the builds closer to the present. The Showcase where you have to steal the car looks like it had the entire skyline redone due to the upgrade in the lighting, for example. Before the sun was there, but now it bleeds into the environment.

It happened in late beta. They added god rays, let clouds be affected by lighting and some other stuff.

DrSlek

First episode need 2 hours to be "completed"? o_O
I tryed it today, so much epicness in the first hour.

The first mission reminds me so much of the mission in Operation Flashpoint where you're stuck on your own in enemy territory and need to make it to an evac zone....only more frantic as you watch all your evac zones and bases get fucked up from a distance, while trying to run to safety.

It was glorious.

DrSlek

Sorry for double post.

Completed the first episode. I'm pretty pleased with it. Took between 4-6 hours to complete. Ends on a nice cliff hanger.
Much better voice acting, dialogue and animations than any of the previous ArmA/Op Flash games.

Still a few bugs, but nothing major. The most glaring one I came across was every now and then an enemy shooting at me on burst fire/full auto from only a few metres away, and hitting the ground a few feet in front of me.

Getting a 1.4gb update for the game right now. I'm not on the dev branch so I assume this is the official release of the campaign.

Well, I upgraded from a 6950 to GTX 770. My FPS hardly changed. I'm still in the high 20s. Both my CPU runs around 10-20% more than my GPU, but nothing bottlenecks. What gives.

Cragvis

any impressions of the campaign? i'm about to start it up right now.

Ive played every arma and op flashpoint game.

my computer just would not boot arma 3 up until last night.

now that I spent a good 5 hours playing it last night I have to say. WOOOOOO

game runs on all max settings with view distance at 3k and im getting great frame-rate, game looks out of this world.

Im just starting the campaign and its MUCH better than the other games. I love how they made iron-sights feel much tighter, more like a real FPS, yet still have the same sim type of gameplay arma is known for.

I am loving it a bunch right now. Multiplayer works great too, I can fly choppers with ease Like I used to back in the day as a transporter.

Ive played every arma and op flashpoint game.

my computer just would not boot arma 3 up until last night.

now that I spent a good 5 hours playing it last night I have to say. WOOOOOO

game runs on all max settings with view distance at 3k and im getting great frame-rate, game looks out of this world.

Im just starting the campaign and its MUCH better than the other games. I love how they made iron-sights feel much tighter, more like a real FPS, yet still have the same sim type of gameplay arma is known for.

I am loving it a bunch right now. Multiplayer works great too, I can fly choppers with ease Like I used to back in the day as a transporter.

finished the campaign a few weeks ago and it was great. good voice acting and the missions were really fun to play. can't wait for the second part to come out.

Finster

I thought the point of op flashpoint was hyper-realism. I fail to see how cookie cutter vehicle design (between different manufacturers) and tank clipping issues even comes close to living up to that legacy.

And if they're selling additional vehicle DLC after people have to shell out $60, that stinks like Forza 5.

I was thinking about picking this up in the steam sale but after reading through several pages of this thread, there isn't any amount of percent off that would convince me to download this steaming pile.

The fact that a LOT of praise in here (not all) is touting the graphics over the gameplay says a lot.

Forsete

Started playing this game a few days ago.

God damned that cheating AI. I really really hope they fix this.
AI spots you in 1 second then puts a bullet through your head from 300-500 meters, sometimes with the first shot.

I want this game to be good, but it really isnt. :/

54-46!

I keep hearing about "Tactical Battlefield", is it any good? does it have a decent sized player base?

I'm coming from the PR:BF2 side of things.

I keep hearing about "Tactical Battlefield", is it any good? does it have a decent sized player base?

I'm coming from the PR:BF2 side of things.

I haven't had time to play it in a while, but yes "Tactical Battlefield" is a very dumbed down way of looking at it.

Think the old Ghost Recon games, but on a much larger scale.

The Project Reality team actually released a version of their mod for Arma 2...not sure if they're doing the same for Arma 3.

Top Bottom