• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

DrBo42

Game runs much better now, framerate is much more stable ... this bodes well for the full release.

The stealth Blackhawk is awesome.

Running an i7 3610QM and a 650m...hope this update helps me squeeze some more performance out of my poor notebook card. Just running it medium on 1080 is dodgy at times.

Sethos

Banned
Beta still is in Stratis :(

Of course they won't release the main island for the Alpha and Beta stages. However anyone suffering from island fatigue, just download the hundreds of ArmA 2 islands and mess around with those.

sunnz

Of course they won't release the main island for the Alpha and Beta stages. However anyone suffering from island fatigue, just download the hundreds of ArmA 2 islands and mess around with those.

Yea that the other map wont be till launch, I remember them saying a while back beta would be when they introduce Altis, but I guess problems occur and it is still alpha after all.

Also, yes there are many other maps I can potentially download... but pretty much all of these maps will be SP based and be very hard to find in multiplayer.

I mean I wouldn't mind if Stratis wasn't so meh.

I mean the airport is awesome, the town near it is awesome... but it is 90% of nothing behind that medium sized town, Chernarus has many towns for example.

DrBo42

Messed around with the new choppers briefly before work. The BLUFOR gunship is fantastic.

- Nice sleek look borrowing from the angles of the B-117/F-117.
-The missile/rocket bays actually fold outward from the body when cycled to.
-DAGR air to ground rockets have at least a 1km range on locked targets.
The only thing I'm bummed about is that the main cannon can take down radio towers with about 20-50 rounds.
Gunner can cycle through multiple FLIR vision modes and the ranging seems to automatically update BEFORE the shot goes out instead of a tab input or fire -> range setup from the past.

The ghosthawk is another beast. Same fold in/out technology for the gear with the consistent stealth appearance. The sound is completely different from that of a normal chopper. While I was only able to experience it from the pilot's seat, I imagine it's a very unique sound from the ground.

As for FPS or performance increases I did see a slight increase for my 650m and the new sliders and live FPS count in the video options are huge improvements.

Sethos

Banned
Yea that the other map wont be till launch, I remember them saying a while back beta would be when they introduce Altis, but I guess problems occur and it is still alpha after all.

Also, yes there are many other maps I can potentially download... but pretty much all of these maps will be SP based and be very hard to find in multiplayer.

I mean I wouldn't mind if Stratis wasn't so meh.

I mean the airport is awesome, the town near it is awesome... but it is 90% of nothing behind that medium sized town, Chernarus has many towns for example.

I don't remember them saying they would introduce Altis the second the Beta started. It has nothing to do with problems or bugs, it has to do with not just slapping the entire game in the Beta and call it a day. They need to pace themselves and introduce everything they want to test in stages. You are already calling island fatigue, wonder what would happen after a few months in Altis? So when the game releases they are all just boring islands.

Stratis is not a primary island. Stratis is the ArmA 2 equivalent of Utes. It's a small map for smaller missions or missions that encompass the entire island which Utes was perfect for an introduced some great modes. So if you want to draw ANY comparisons it should be with Utes, not Chernarus.

And why are they SP based? They can be used online and if people made a mission in the island, they can host it.

Sethos

Banned
Is that an option or a shortcut key?

Under difficulty settings, there's an entry halfway down I believe to disable it - Among other things.

And yes, you can pretty much turn off most of the HUD from the difficulty settings. Not sure about the ammo counter, haven't checked.

Also, remember to press escape and hit the "Camera" button - That's how you take screenshots these days.

sunnz

I don't remember them saying they would introduce Altis the second the Beta started. It has nothing to do with problems or bugs, it has to do with not just slapping the entire game in the Beta and call it a day. They need to pace themselves and introduce everything they want to test in stages. You are already calling island fatigue, wonder what would happen after a few months in Altis? So when the game releases they are all just boring islands.

Stratis is not a primary island. Stratis is the ArmA 2 equivalent of Utes. It's a small map for smaller missions or missions that encompass the entire island which Utes was perfect for an introduced some great modes. So if you want to draw ANY comparisons it should be with Utes, not Chernarus.

And why are they SP based? They can be used online and if people made a mission in the island, they can host it.

Yea, I guess that makes sense.

On another note, at max I seem to see an increase e of like 5 FPS, not much but it seems more stable too which is awesome ( less fps drops than before)

The new vehicles, especially the heli's, are so awesome and fun.

Anyone know of any servers/ missions that have an all out team v team battle with most vehicles in? Like a massive TDM but with full vehicles and use most of the map? can't seem to find any.

Dennis

Banned
Under difficulty settings, there's an entry halfway down I believe to disable it - Among other things.

And yes, you can pretty much turn off most of the HUD from the difficulty settings. Not sure about the ammo counter, haven't checked.

Also, remember to press escape and hit the "Camera" button - That's how you take screenshots these days.

Yep, figured it out - you can turn off all HUD elements.

Dennis

Banned
Dennis I apologize if this has been asked a million times but what are your specs?

Nothing much by todays GAF standard, a couple of GTX 580s with 3GB VRAM.

What are people on now, GTX780? Time just flies, why, it feels like only yesterday I.....

Sethos

Banned
1) What the hell did they do to the sounds? Now they are pitch based and it sounds AWFUL! Their slight rework of some sounds is equally bad. Man these guys can't do audio for shit.

2) Anyone know how to get the 360 controller working with Splendid Cam? Nothing seems to work.

1) What the hell did they do to the sounds? Now they are pitch based and it sounds AWFUL! Their slight rework of some sounds is equally bad. Man these guys can't do audio for shit.

2) Anyone know how to get the 360 controller working with Splendid Cam? Nothing seems to work.

not sure i follow about the sounds, what do you mean exactly

R1CHO

I made a couple of screenshots trying the camera mode for the first time, really like the night lighting.

ibuQaagSJZHV0H.png

ibevOQYRIKW3j5.png

ibmoyQR5IwAWMa.png

i84UCSLGdSoPB.png

izuDjGW7Cy5mN.png

Boogdud

Messed around with the new choppers briefly before work. The BLUFOR gunship is fantastic.

- Nice sleek look borrowing from the angles of the B-117/F-117.
-The missile/rocket bays actually fold outward from the body when cycled to.
-DAGR air to ground rockets have at least a 1km range on locked targets.

I don't have the game, but this sounds like the RAH-66 Commanche. Is the Commanche in the game?

Sheesh I might have to pick this up

CMDBob

I just love the detail that BI have added, with all the panels opening and stuff swinging out and such. Shame that the cockpit doesn't actually have a door when you get in, you just phase through the glass somehow, heh. Still, plenty of time for improvements, I suppose.

Going to ask again because I'm still having issues. Black levels seem to be getting crushed at 1080P and below, everything in the night level looks really washed out. Turning the resolution up and downsampling fixes this, but of course Arma is a demanding game so it's not always reasonable. What's the issue at hand, this wasn't the case before. Nvidia driver issue?

My other question is for the RGB Full Range toggle , it crashes every time I try to use either option. Does that mean my tv doesn't support full range or is it a Windows 8 issue? Would really like to set my tv at full range is possible.

R1CHO

I made a couple more "photos", very fun to make simple encounters on the editor and watch it from the camera mode.

Going to ask again because I'm still having issues. Black levels seem to be getting crushed at 1080P and below, everything in the night level looks really washed out. Turning the resolution up and downsampling fixes this, but of course Arma is a demanding game so it's not always reasonable. What's the issue at hand, this wasn't the case before. Nvidia driver issue?

Could it be the fatigue effect? After running for a bit, the soldier gets blurry vision, it's kind of dumb imo.

Odd. Nice screens by the way, although shouldn't you resize them to 1920x1080?. The lighting really is amazing in this game, love how the lighthouse's beam affects smoke.

Yeah, i am really liking the lighting.

About the screenshots, i though that it was ok as they are quoted, but will resize in the future.

I made a couple more "photos", very fun to make simple encounters on the editor and watch it from the camera mode.

Could it be the fatigue effect? After running for a bit, the soldier gets blurry vision, it's kind of dumb imo.

Nah, everything is just blown out color wise. Blacks are gray and everything is lit, almost like the gamma has been turned up too high. Oddly enough, I went to go take a picture with my phone and the issue doesn't seem to remain. I was messing around in the Nvidia Control Panel and with the Full RGB app listed above so perhaps it finally worked?

Odd. Nice screens by the way, although shouldn't you resize them to 1920x1080?. The lighting really is amazing in this game, love how the lighthouse's beam affects smoke.

This is the first Arma game I've really played. Trying to like it, but I'm having a terrible experience with it.

1) Frame rate is utter garbage. It goes for about 2 seconds and then stutters all the damn time. If someone gets the first shot off on me, 99% of the time I'm dead since I can't react fast enough when my frame rate is stuttering. Put everything to low, lowered the resolution to 720p, but still runs like crap.

2) How can I tell who are enemies and who are friendlies? Rarely can I actually figure out what the hell my objective is supposed to be, so I just follow everyone else. Last time I found my way into a house, was waiting there and a helicopter showed up. I hovered my mouse over it and the nametag was red. I let loose 2 RPG's to blow it up. Apparently they were my friendlies? Does Green = friendlies, Red = Enemies not apply to this game? Because I definitely saw friendlies being highlighted as green, but this helicopter's nametag was red. I then got booted off their server for being an asshole apparently even though I tried to tell them I didn't know what was going on.

*sigh* So frustrating...

friday

Just bought in before the price increase. I really enjoyed messing around with alpha lite, so I am excited for MP and co op stuff.

RulkezX

Yeah. Green/Blue is friendlies and Red is enemy. Should probably be checking the map at all times to avoid that.

Unless he was playing on a ppv game type ?

When I choose opfor my team mates always show as red squares.

Beta has now rolled out in Europe it seems , though the Dev branch is still a newer version (.71 vs v.70 for stable)

Zeth

If I only have the Alpha Lite do I just buy the new beta when it expires through steam? I'm guessing that doesn't give me access to the opt-in?

If I only have the Alpha Lite do I just buy the new beta when it expires through steam? I'm guessing that doesn't give me access to the opt-in?

You don't have to wait until it expires your alpha lite. That's basically just a private demo. You only have to buy the game whenever you want. That includes "past week" or even "now". But mostly now. :)

Nice screens R1cho. Your name sure is familiar...

SpyGuy239

guys, I just realised I still have some Alpha ?keys? available. If you want it drop me a PM or something. I have no idea how to go about gifting it...assuming it's still of any use at this point?

Top Bottom