• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Foffy

Banned
Why can you zoom in this game? without a scope/binoculars that is, seems like a weird feature to have in a milsim.

Mods tweak this. ArmA II had a mod called TrueMods (which is being planned for ArmA III) that reconfigured the zoom to be more of what it would look like if you slightly leaned your head forward, as well as making iron sights more realistic in their view. It makes finding enemies far harder without scopes.

If it irks you, wait for the mods to roll out. I plan on not even really digging into ArmA III until ACE, ASR, and TPWCAS are out. Those are the most essential mods I use.

Why can you zoom in this game? without a scope/binoculars that is, seems like a weird feature to have in a milsim.

As Sethos said, it's related to the FOV you have in real life (much smaller in the game, limited to a square in front of you, the monitor), and also the easiness we have to look around with small eye movements.

Think more the zoomed in view is not a "zoomb" but the normal focused view of the soldier, and the zoomed out normal view ingame is in comparison the bigger peripheral vision.

Yeah, barring Oculus Rift integration, there is no way to represent the actual FOV and situational awareness you have in real life vs in-game. Zoom helps that.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Yeah, barring Oculus Rift integration, there is no way to represent the actual FOV and situational awareness you have in real life vs in-game. Zoom helps that.

Speaking of Oculus Rift, I talked to Bohemia (Project Lead Joris-Jan van't Land) last week, and they said they are "exploring" Oculus Rift support and think it would "fit very well."

Here's the quote from the post:

We have at least one development kit available to us and we agree Arma 3 would fit it very well. One key reason is the full body simulation. We are not using a detached floating camera and when you look down, you see your whole body. This makes it a good match with devices like Oculus Rift. As soon as some of our programmers have time, it’s something we’d like to explore.

I also asked him about PS4/Xbox One versions, etc. The actual entire thing is set for this week just in case anyone's interested. :)

DrSlek

Speaking of Oculus Rift, I talked to Bohemia (Project Lead Joris-Jan van't Land) last week, and they said they are "exploring" Oculus Rift support and think it would "fit very well."

Well all the ArmA games and the Original Op Flash had free look bound to Alt. I imagine the Rift could be integrated into ArmA III quite well by simply binding free look to it.

Sethos

Banned
Well all the ArmA games and the Original Op Flash had free look bound to Alt. I imagine the Rift could be integrated into ArmA III quite well by simply binding free look to it.

or just make it an accessory option like TrackIR, no need to bind anything.

Orgun

Should have a trackir soon to try with the game. Seems like a very cool accessory for it.

It is, I have gotten so used to it that I now expect it to be in everything - it's awesome. I turn my head even when playing something like BF3 and expect to be able to look around.

Gruso

It is, I have gotten so used to it that I now expect it to be in everything - it's awesome. I turn my head even when playing something like BF3 and expect to be able to look around.
This reminds me of when I'm watching Arma videos on Youtube, and I try to freelook with alt.

I watched this Dslyecxi video this morning and decided I can't go on without head tracking. I've spent tonight playing with FreeTrack (and a bunch of components I happened to have laying around) and then FaceTrackNoIR. I had more success with the latter, but not enough success. I think I'll save myself some pain and buy the real thing.

Sethos

Banned
Haha, noticed the sitting stance now has a movement animation - Not sure when that happened but it's both awesome and it looks hilarious.

12gssy9.png

This is why I love the ArmA community. They always release some crazy sound mods or just sounds in general along with their mods. Guy behind the GLT F16 porting it to ArmA 3, listen to that noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wwgyi6Po0sQ - Not even hardcore flight simulators get that intense or accurate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m79y3SpT4g
When you're traveling above Mach 1, if the camera is in front or to the side of the jet, you can't hear anything, only if it's behind it are you able to hear again

FGMPR

Banned
I play DCS and no, that game doesn't have many impressive sound mods. Not even close to the extend of the ArmA community. A majority of the sounds in that game are pretty dull and rubbish.

I might as well ask you Sethos. Do you know/recommend any compatible sound mods with JSRS for Arma 2? The gunfights sound amazing but other than a couple of modded in planes (like the Eurofighter), the aircraft don't quite have the same... intensity.

edit: That guy has strong heels lol. There's no way I could do that in RL.

Sethos

Banned
I might as well ask you Sethos. Do you know/recommend any compatible sound mods with JSRS for Arma 2? The gunfights sound amazing but other than a couple of modded in planes (like the Eurofighter), the aircraft don't quite have the same... intensity.

Not a lot of soundmods going on, seen one that was quite rubbish. Good news however, JSRS is already hard at work with ArmA 3. Example of the P07 with the distance script, at various distances; http://jsrs-studios.com/team/downloads/P07 Distance Tests.mp3

And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIKaNrxYWw -- Still needs work obviously but has tons of potential.

Though I wouldn't expect too many soundmods or even high-quality mods being released for the Beta. Both the constant changes in code and the fact that few major clans / mod makers seem to be actually playing the Beta.

FGMPR

Banned
Well, that's good. I hear a few mod teams might not be returning for A3 (ACE and CWR2), so I'm glad the modder/s responsible for JSRS are coming back, though I was actually asking if you knew of/could recommend any mods on top of JSRS for Arma 2. The link you provided for the A3 jet WOP was amazing, and from what I can tell, JSRS doesn't seem to provide much of that. It could just be that the jet's I'm always flying around in are downloaded ones and therefore don't have any JSRS style sounds implemented (I honestly can't remember what jets are what and from where anymore; I don't know anything about military hardware and I have over 100gigs of mods loaded). I've been looking around but its surprisingly hard to find an answer for without opening an account and posting a new thread in the BI forums, so I figured I would ask you since you seem to regard the sounds as particularly important.

edit: that last vid is awesome. I love the way the bullets crack.

As an aside, I love the beta so far; the core improvements are great so far, and the difference in polish even at this stage compared to A2's launch is staggering, but its kind of hard to play it when A2 has so much content, as well as stuff like JSRS, Blastcore, JTD Fire and Smoke, ASR AI, TPW Line of Sight and Suppression that add so much to the immersion factor as well as make your AI companions competent. The thing that will pull me across more however, are top quality scuba missions; once more of those hit I'll be playing a lot more than I am currently.

edit edit: I've just seen the download link on that first video you posted that was added, and have downloaded it, as well as the f-16 arma 2 sounds mod. What's funny is I deleted the F-16 because of an error, and now I've gone back to try again and that same error has been fixed because it was reported by.... you.

You get around lol.

Sethos

Banned
ACE should be returning to ArmA 3? Haven't heard otherwise. CWR2 was just released months ago, they probably couldn't get anything out the door before A4 is out.

As for JSRS not matching that WIP jet then yes, his plane sounds aren't super great but I'd argue his soundmod is the best and most intense you can get, most of his sounds, design and scripts are unmatched.

EDIT: Yeah ACE is coming : http://wiki.ace-mod.net/ACE_future_plans_and_ARMA_3

At some point we will be planning and working on ACE for ARMA 3,
and will try to deliver you the ACE experience as close to ARMA 3's release as possible,
as you have come to expect from us.

More info will be given, when it becomes available.

We hope to meet you again in ARMA 3!

Longshot

I'm sort of concerned that deploying a bipod and rappelling from helicopters aren't in the main game yet, these are really essential features that make the ACE mod awesome...

So far the only problem I have with this beta is the framerate. Gets so bad at times. Was down to 7 FPS earlier and it was torture.

I was just playing Arma 3 a second ago, I couldn't get the butt scooting boogie to work. Do I not just go to a sitting stance and just move? I should ask my dog how she does it.

Roland1979

I was just playing Arma 3 a second ago, I couldn't get the butt scooting boogie to work. Do I not just go to a sitting stance and just move? I should ask my dog how she does it.

Haven't installed it yet (game rig not finished) but from what I remembered reading it is not a crouch but a prone movement. A alternative prone/second prone. No doubt you can Google it. I could be wrong though and that there are 2 alternatives. One he went from prone to lean back but was staying much lower.

Sethos

Banned
I'm using the dev branch, in case it has been patched in there.

And yes, just sit down and move. Doesn't work with sidearms.

IMACOMPUTA

I love mine. It just plain works, frees up a key press and greatly improves situational awareness while adding immersion.
Where have you been, krappa? Expected to see you around when the beta dropped..

And Anton - I'm "DayZ gaf" and we play vanilla arma sometimes. I'm down!

I'm using the dev branch, in case it has been patched in there.

And yes, just sit down and move. Doesn't work with sidearms.

That must be a dev branch addition. I was trying to scoot with my primary.

Oh well, I can wait! I was thinking about moving to the dev branch, but I don't know how many MP servers run it, too.

Where have you been, krappa? Expected to see you around when the beta dropped..

And Anton - I'm "DayZ gaf" and we play vanilla arma sometimes. I'm down!

Awesome! I'm down for playing today/this weekend.

Longshot

New interview out with the developers, thought this was pretty interesting. A new 3d editor would make the mod community explode.

PE: Will there be mod support for the game’s final version?

BI: For sure! Both the Alpha and Beta have already had modding and the concept is key to us as a developer. We have not been able to support modders as much as we’d like by way of releasing updated tools, but this is something high on the list. Similar to the way we’ve tried to smooth out the experience of the game itself, doing this for new modders will ultimately benefit everyone. A few of our developers have already released some pretty extensive documentation on the Community Wiki.

http://pixelenemy.com/arma-3-qa-with-bohemia-interactive-mods-console-ports-and-a-lot-more/

Top Bottom