• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Depends what you need to do?

how do you make an ai vehicle actually stay on the fucking road when assigning waypoints? i've got a trigger setup that sends vehicle reinforcements once a certain objective is achieved but whenever I test out the mission the stupid ai just drives like an idiot and takes forever to get to the waypoint.

Played some co-op tonight; overall, good old Arma fun.

AI needs some tweaking. I was killed by an auto rifleman probably about 500m away, but I handily dispatched a compound full of 5-6 people, most of them getting the drop on me and firing first from 10-15m.

And they just need to get rid of that stupid run-tired-blur altogether. Shit is stupid.

Foffy

Banned
Played some co-op tonight; overall, good old Arma fun.

AI needs some tweaking. I was killed by an auto rifleman probably about 500m away, but I handily dispatched a compound full of 5-6 people, most of them getting the drop on me and firing first from 10-15m.

And they just need to get rid of that stupid run-tired-blur altogether. Shit is stupid.

I assume you'll probably get more out of these games when ACE 3 drops for ArmA III. Not sure if you've played ArmA with ACE (I'd say it's mandatory) but it makes the games far more realistic.

FGMPR

Banned
Does anyone know how to eject from helicopters? I have a parachute but the eject option never appears and pressing 'V' twice does nothing.

demolitio

If anyone wants to do any cool helicopter missions or anything really in coop, please add "demolitio2" on Steam. I've been wanting to do a good helo mission for a while.

The beta is so much better although I suppose online will still be riddled with problems such as a lot of hacking?

If anyone wants to do any cool helicopter missions or anything really in coop, please add "demolitio2" on Steam. I've been wanting to do a good helo mission for a while.

The beta is so much better although I suppose online will still be riddled with problems such as a lot of hacking?

I think they fixed that the last time when someone script hacked the servers.

I assume you'll probably get more out of these games when ACE 3 drops for ArmA III. Not sure if you've played ArmA with ACE (I'd say it's mandatory) but it makes the games far more realistic.

Yeah, I like ACE. I'm sure it won't be long for AI tweaks to come out--I used a really good pack with Arma 2. I was just hoping BI had made more progress themselves.

Does anyone know how to eject from helicopters? I have a parachute but the eject option never appears and pressing 'V' twice does nothing.

Scrollwheel to "Eject"? At least that's what you had to do in Arma 2.

Aleph

Tried the Beta for about an hour... I'm getting slightly better performance (nothing too crazy). I'm liking the stance indicator and the 3D optics, and the new vehicles, specially the Apache, which has a dedicated gunner seat.

I will say that the gunplay/shooting model in this game is 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better than Arma 2. I could already tell from the Alpha, but the 3D scopes seal it. Getting a headshot on a guy hiding behind cover 450m away after checking range and adjusting feels so good.

This is why I love the ArmA community. They always release some crazy sound mods or just sounds in general along with their mods. Guy behind the GLT F16 porting it to ArmA 3, listen to that noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wwgyi6Po0sQ - Not even hardcore flight simulators get that intense or accurate.

That is fucking glorious.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is why I love the ArmA community. They always release some crazy sound mods or just sounds in general along with their mods. Guy behind the GLT F16 porting it to ArmA 3, listen to that noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wwgyi6Po0sQ - Not even hardcore flight simulators get that intense or accurate.

franco-so-good.gif

sunnz

The new weapons and vehicles makes missions like wasteland so much better and enojoyable.
4 hours flew by quickly. So much fun.

The lighting in this game really os one of the best, as well as the foliage ( leaves, grass). So good. Just wish that grass spawn distance was large.

Really enjoying the new content.

I will say that the gunplay/shooting model in this game is 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better than Arma 2. I could already tell from the Alpha, but the 3D scopes seal it. Getting a headshot on a guy hiding behind cover 450m away after checking range and adjusting feels so good..

arma 2 just feels old as shit in general and still has tons of vestiges from the original operation flashpoint.

dammit

DrBo42

I will say that the gunplay/shooting model in this game is 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better than Arma 2. I could already tell from the Alpha, but the 3D scopes seal it. Getting a headshot on a guy hiding behind cover 450m away after checking range and adjusting feels so good.

That is fucking glorious.

My only "problem" so far is looking down an incline with a 3D scope and having the sky be reflected in the glass. Normally your head/helmet would be casting a shadow on it but now since none of that is taken into account with the spiffy 3D-ness it's super hard to get an ID on anything.

I'm completely new to Arma3. I have been playing BF3 and coming to this game, man it's heavy in content. One thing I'm trying to adjust to are the controls, any advice?

Played some more Headhunters coop last night. Mission played COMPLETELY different, as we were able to kill some guards before they got into an Ifrit. Because we didn't have to blow it, we got to use it, and the lack of an explosion let us maintain stealth.

Of course, our AI squadmates still managed to fuck it up by firing even though I gave them a hold fire command, but whatever.

My only "problem" so far is looking down an incline with a 3D scope and having the sky be reflected in the glass. Normally your head/helmet would be casting a shadow on it but now since none of that is taken into account with the spiffy 3D-ness it's super hard to get an ID on anything.

Haven't experienced that yet, but hope they find a way to fix it. I thought self-shadowing was in, so theoretically, shouldn't that not occur?

Jesus Christ.

I'm completely new to Arma3. I have been playing BF3 and coming to this game, man it's heavy in content. One thing I'm trying to adjust to are the controls, any advice?

Watch all of the community guides here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Arma3official?feature=watch

Also, play all the in-game tutorials and use "H" when prompted to get a quick look at controls. There's no "easy" way to learn it, you just have to play and get used to the keys you use.

I will say that you should make sure all mouse smoothing and acceleration is disabled in the options.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Watch all of the community guides here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Arma3official?feature=watch

Also, play all the in-game tutorials and use "H" when prompted to get a quick look at controls. There's no "easy" way to learn it, you just have to play and get used to the keys you use.

I will say that you should make sure all mouse smoothing and acceleration is disabled in the options.
I just don't see how I use page up and down effectively for range adjustments.

I just don't see how I use page up and down effectively for range adjustments.

Sorry, how do you mean?

Only certain scopes (high magnification scopes, basically) can zero. When you press page up/down, the range indicator in the upper right hand corner will change, adjusting your zero.

Of course, this doesn't take into account elevation.

To find the range, press B to take out binoculars or range finder, depending on what you have equipped, or you can "cheat" by placing a waypoint on the map where the enemy is, and use the distance reading.

Hope I understood!

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I just mean how do you get to them as needed I have to take my hand off the mouse or keyboard to go over to them. It works with grenade launchers too.

Radix

Neo Member
Are FXAA and SMAA mislabeled for anyone else?

It seems like SMAA is blurring everything and FXAA has a sharpening effect.

Sethos

Banned
Are FXAA and SMAA mislabeled for anyone else?

It seems like SMAA is blurring everything and FXAA has a sharpening effect.

They aren't mislabelled. ArmA 3 is for some reason naturally slightly smudged. SMAA won't do much to iron that out however as a lot of developers tend to do / offer is a sharpening filter with FXAA to counteract that blurring.

Basically the entire game needs a +3 with the sharpening filter.

Man, Combined Arms mission feels nigh impossible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for smaller (~10 players) coop missions or mission packs? Sethos?

I think the only issue I have so far is how pronounced the recoil is on most of the guns.

It seems really high compared to ARMA2.

Yeah, I've heard this from a few people. Hope they tone it down just a bit.

Deadstar

So how is this game? I have Arma 2 but didn't play it much. I did play a few night missions and it seemed pretty awesome. I like Battlefield 3 and get that this is more of a military sim and I'm fine with that. Could someone convince me to buy it? Seems like it would be really fun but I'm just not sure.

So how is this game? I have Arma 2 but didn't play it much. I did play a few night missions and it seemed pretty awesome. I like Battlefield 3 and get that this is more of a military sim and I'm fine with that. Could someone convince me to buy it? Seems like it would be really fun but I'm just not sure.

The community man

oh and ACRE

I have never been so immersed in a game

I think they discontinue to "lite" program they had with the Alpha, where you could try SP for free.

However, I would say watch some youtube videos from these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQEd6zRLOafX53dmxxugEoVNaJyC307fi
http://www.youtube.com/user/CHKilroy/videos

And see what you think. The main draws of Arma 3 are its community and modding capability.

With the popularity of DayZ and polish of Arma 3, I'm hoping we can get a solid Arma-GAF group going.

I think they discontinue to "lite" program they had with the Alpha, where you could try SP for free.

However, I would say watch some youtube videos from these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQEd6zRLOafX53dmxxugEoVNaJyC307fi
http://www.youtube.com/user/CHKilroy/videos

And see what you think. The main draws of Arma 3 are its community and modding capability.

With the popularity of DayZ and polish of Arma 3, I'm hoping we can get a solid Arma-GAF group going.

I fell off of DayZ GAF pretty early, what do they like in vanilla? Wasteland, AAS, Domination..?

I fell off of DayZ GAF pretty early, what do they like in vanilla? Wasteland, AAS, Domination..?

I don't know that any of DayZ GAF plays regular Arma 2. Honestly, I play with some of my friends, as DayZ GAF seems preeeetty insular (I've asked for servers and times to meet up with people, have never gotten a response), but even my DayZ friends have never played Arma 2.

Sethos

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations for smaller (~10 players) coop missions or mission packs? Sethos?

Nothing, sorry. I really don't spend that much time with the game, not fond of vanilla ArmA so it's just dabbling with it and creating my own missions for a friend and me, based on what we are in the mood for.

Can someone explain acre?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/arma-3-acre-mod/

Basically, a realistic radio system that is hooked up to Teamspeak 3 where radio power, distance, mountain obscurity, channel of the radio, type of radio etc. all comes into play. Also directional audio when speaking, static and radio clicks.

Probably need to watch a few YT videos but it transforms the game when playing in groups.

sunnz

Atlis looks ridiculously huge.

Just for perspective, Stratis is 20 sqkm and Atlis is 270 sqkm.

Chernarus vs Atlis:

a2a3comparison22.jpg

BUT the real question is, how populated is Altis? As in towns, cities, locations etc...

Chernarus looks a lot smaller, but has quite a lot of towns and cities, which is awesome about it.

Overdoziz

Banned
BUT the real question is, how populated is Altis? As in towns, cities, locations etc...

Chernarus looks a lot smaller, but has quite a lot of towns and cities, which is awesome about it.
Looking at the roads it's pretty safe to assume that there's quite a few towns and villages.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Going to try to find a video about choppers. Tried to use a 360 controller and that crashed and burned (figuratively and literally). Guess I'll try to get my joystick to work.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Anyone have any tips? I'm terrible at this game so far, any tips on guns or missions to try to get used to the game with? I've tried some of the showcases and not had much luck. Just learning the controls has been tricky.

Sethos

Banned
I'm slowly falling in love with the base game. I rarely ever play vanilla ArmA as I feel it has too many problems and the sounds are dreadful but it always gives me an insight what the modders have to build on and right now I'm getting these tingles down my spine just thinking of the game with ACE, ACRE, JSRS and what else you have -- Especially now they've sorted many of the performance problems ( For me, at least ) that not only plagued the Alpha but also the previous games in some situations.

Currently building a mission for me and a friend, basically he starts as a diver (Several start positions, meaning I don't know where he's starting) and has a bunch of options all over the map; get a squad, supplies etc. while I have a helicopter and need to seek him out (and kill him) during a clouded sundown. So it's one big game of hide and seek that can run for hours and his objective is ultimately to take out a high-value target. Can't wait for him to get home so we can try it out. Which is why ArmA is amazing, you can really play any situation and type of game you'd like.

Aerocrane

How's the flying model now that the game has reached beta? I ordered a Saitek X52 for use in DCS: A10-C and FSX, and I'd like to try flying in this game as well.

54-46!

Why can you zoom in this game? without a scope/binoculars that is, seems like a weird feature to have in a milsim.

Sethos

Banned
Why can you zoom in this game? without a scope/binoculars that is, seems like a weird feature to have in a milsim.

To mimic the close up FOV you get in real-life, like when putting your face up to a scope. The default view doesn't mimic that.

Top Bottom