• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Performance Thread

Sethos

Banned
banner9tsh4.png

0introw0rv5.png

Bohemia Interactive today announced their plans for the upcoming PC-exclusive tactical military shooter game, Arma 3™. From next week onward, Tuesday March 5th, all are welcome to try out the authentic military gameplay and assist in the game’s development by participating in the Arma 3 Alpha. The Alpha will feature a limited amount of playable and sandbox content, receive regular updates and remain accessible until Arma 3’s Beta starts – which is expected in the second quarter of this year. The full and final version of Arma 3 is scheduled for release in Q3 2013.

Featured in the Arma 3 Alpha are four showcase missions (Infantry, Vehicles, SCUBA and Helicopter), a limited subset of weapons and vehicles, two multiplayer scenarios, the powerful scenario editor and modding support. The 20 km² island of Stratis, which is positioned right off the coast from Arma 3’s main destination ‘Altis’ (270 km²), will form the backdrop of the Arma 3 Alpha.

To participate in the Alpha, people can purchase the Arma 3 Alpha (24.99 EUR/19.99 GBP/32.99 USD) or Arma 3 Digital Deluxe Edition (39.99 EUR/34.99 GBP/49.99 USD) on Steam. Extras in the Digital Deluxe Edition include a digital soundtrack*, digital maps*, digital tactical guide*, and a Steam Gift of Arma: Cold War Assault (formerly known as Operation Flashpoint™: Cold War Crisis). Both versions include access to the Arma 3 Beta plus a digital copy of the complete game upon release. The price of each edition will increase once the Arma 3 Beta and final game become available.

Those who would like to sponsor development further, also have the option to purchase the Arma 3 Supporter Edition (69.99 EUR/59.99 GBP/91.99 USD) from Store.bistudio.com. Besides the additional Arma development support, this edition ships with all the extras from the digital deluxe edition, a Steam Gift of Arma X, all future Arma 3 DLCs, a special forums medal and the opportunity to have their names featured in the game’s credits. The full overview of editions, and their conditions, can be found on Arma 3’s new website.

Last but not least, Bohemia Interactive also intends to release a free, limited version of the Alpha, named Arma 3 Alpha Lite. The Alpha Lite will be available one week after the initial Alpha release, on Thursday March 14th, and does not include a multiplayer component and modding support. Access to the Alpha Lite is invite-only and can be obtained from people who have purchased the Arma 3 Alpha. Invites will also be randomly distributed via the Arma 3 social channels and as giveaways by selected media outlets. The Arma 3 Alpha Lite expires on June 15, does not provide access to the Arma 3 Beta and does not include a copy of the final game.

The Alpha has been announced and yet again we go to war, both in-game and trying to get the game running smoothly. Some people had massive performance issues with ArmA 2 whilst others had very few. The engine does suffer from a lot of performance issues however the users also have a few misconceptions regarding the performance issues like seriously underestimating how CPU heavy the game is. Hopefully we can work out most of the issues and help people get a pleasant experience.

The thread will run through the Alpha, Beta and then we should have some solid experiences to work from come retail release in Q3 2013.

Enjoy.

1sysreqzpirg.png

2sysreqminjkelf.png

CPU: Intel Dual-Core 2.4GHz / AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

GPU: Geforce 8800GT / Radeon HD 3830 / Intel HD Graphics 4000

GPU Memory: 512 MB

DirectX: 10

RAM: 2GB

HDD: 15GB

HDD ( Alpha ): 10GB

Other: Internet connection and Steam account to activate

3sysreqrecd2erd.png

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 / AMD Phenom II X4 940

GPU: Geforce GTS 560 / Radeon HD 7750

GPU Memory: 1GB

DirectX: 11

RAM: 4GB

HDD: 25 GB

HDD ( Alpha ): 20 GB

Other: Internet connection and Steam account to activate

4opti5rief.png

Game is extremely CPU intensive and Steam can take up a few CPU cycles, here's how you squeeze more out of your CPU;

about performance drops caused by STEAM and how mitigate them

from my own experience this is what eats most CPU from highest to lowest

1. STEM friend-list (even while online, just closing friend-list saves most CPU usage)
2. STEAM chats (the more of them active the worse the overall load)
3. STEAM updating (as uses checksums it needs some CPU and I/O, so make sure nothing is updating)
4. STEAM overlay
5. STEAM IM (switch yourself to OFFLINE for lowest CPU usage)
6. STEAM website (if you keep website open and minimize, it still keeps playing the flash animations for example, so ideally you visit e.g. your profile page as last)

+ then set STEAM to lower priority than arma3.exe

Potential performance fix for some:

This is not guaranteed to work for everyone. For me personally it gave me a nice 10-15FPS boost on average, others also report a 10FPS boost while some don't see any difference.

On my 3930k, my performance in the main village went from 30-40FPS to locked 60 and a slight dip when looking at the airfield. It also removed my stuttering when doing quick turns. It didn't work on my friend's i5 2500k.

So I'd like some feedback on the fix, which CPU, is HT enabled and did it help the FPS at all.

Disable CPU Parking: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Restart PC.

Try the game.

How to install ArmA on a RAMDisk: ( Thanks to BadTaste105 )

Game does a lot of loading off the HDD, which in some cases can cause stuttering or LOD thrashing - If you don't have a RAID / SSD setup, a RAMDisk might be a solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CKbbqOpeIE

• Recommended System Memory - 10-12GB+
• ArmA 3 must already be installed on one of your HDD's

Other performance suggestions:

- View distance is the game's biggest killer. A touch of the slider can mean the difference between 60 and 40FPS. A good tip is to find a spot where you can see lots of mountains then open the Video options and drag the slider down to a view distance you find acceptable. Those massive view distances are rarely ever used, as they are far beyond engagement ranges. That will net you a nice FPS boost.

- Lower some of the options that has to do with the island itself, ground detail etc. just a notch or two. The difference is minuscule in some cases but will net you a nice 3-5FPS. Remember you can find a nice view and tweak the options 'live' as in settings change immediately.

- Don't lower the shadow detail. In some cases it can actually cause a performance hit.

5links1qd5g.png

Official ArmA 3 Site

Screenshot Gallery

Video Gallery

BIS Forums

Buy the Alpha (From BIS - Do that, they see maximum amount of the profit and you get a Steam key!)

Alpha Hub ( Place where the update information regarding the Alpha, patch releases etc. )

Revisions:

1.1 Added white stroke on text for NeoGAF Dark Theme users

Nibel

uMLUt0V.jpg

Love the sky. It's quite cool to see what a modern military shooter can look like without dozens of filter!

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, they did an amazing job of keeping the game clean. No filters, no lens dirt, none of that. Just pure, beautiful skies and sunlight.

I can't wait to see the rain ... The awful 2D curtains of the old games were annoying.

n0n44m

will it have a benchmark "scenario" like ARMA2 ?

screenshots look great so far, bring on tomorrow !

DTKT

I fear that those "Recommended settings" are bullshit and that the game runs like shit no matter your system.

I fear that those "Recommended settings" are bullshit and that the game runs like shit no matter your system.

This is my fear too. I did read in the PC Gamer interview that they've made improvements in the auto detection so that should help.

I'm hoping that they've been able to optimize a lot from all they learned from ARMA 2.

DrBo42

Looks incredible. I think I may have to put together a desktop for this. My i7 laptop with a 650M is going to scream.

BadTaste

i7 920 3.8Ghz, 7850 2GB OC'd.

I'll run it at a fairly decent performance I think.

Was thinking of buying another 7850 to crossfire but I think the CPU may bottleneck it..

Sick! Will post back when I get Alpha running.

Oh! Sethos you should recommend RAMDisks in the optimization part. It really helped me a lot with ArmA2

Dr. Light

Is there a way to order a physical version of the game? I'm willing to pay more for it, but if there's only a download I'd just get the cheapest version.

Luckily I don't have to be worried and will be enjoying the game at 60FPS :p

Arma 2 runs in the TEENS on my high-end rig (especially once you start playing around with the editor). It's completely CPU bottlenecked and impossible to get decent performance. Is Arma 3 any different?

BadTaste

Sick! Will post back when I get Alpha running.

Oh! Sethos you should recommend RAMDisks in the optimization part. It really helped me a lot with ArmA2

Good point :p A3 will sit comfortably in your RAM if you have like 12GB.

A tutorial would be nice too, I know there's different versions of RAMDisk out there.

Sethos

Banned
Arma 2 runs in the TEENS on my high-end rig (especially once you start playing around with the editor). It's completely CPU bottlenecked and impossible to get decent performance. Is Arma 3 any different?

What kind of broken PC do you have? My ArmA 2 runs 60FPS locked at maxed out settings, 2560x1600, SMAA Medium and 4k view distance. I've been able to maintain that for the last 3 builds.

Added a snippet about it, won't be doing any tutorials or anything. Maybe if someone writes something up I can add it.

What kind of broken PC do you have? My ArmA 2 runs 60FPS locked at maxed out settings, 2560x1600, SMAA Medium and 4k view distance. I've been able to maintain that for the last 3 builds.

Yeah, it's been fairly easy to get good performance since a few months after launch, when they released a couple of patches.

So, to get the Alpha do you have to preorder it through Bohemia's website and they'll send you a key? Or are preorders going up on Steam tomorrow? For a game that's been so big on why its a Steam-exclusive its odd that its not even on Steam's "Coming Soon" tab.

Sethos

Banned
So, to get the Alpha do you have to preorder it through Bohemia's website and they'll send you a key? Or are preorders going up on Steam tomorrow? For a game that's been so big on why its a Steam-exclusive its odd that its not even on Steam's "Coming Soon" tab.

You can do it both places. As I said, do it via BIS' store as it might be up there sooner than the Steam update plus they see 100% of the profit. And yes, through BIS they will send you a Steam key.

And it's an Alpha, don't see the need to go all media crazy with an alpha on Steam.

Waaghals

Luckily I don't have to be worried and will be enjoying the game at 60FPS :p

It is the alpha version of a Bohemia game, it won't run on any configuration they don't already have at their office. As a result you and your two titans are SOL :p

Seriously though, they have a history of weird compatibility problems and sub par performance at launch. I don't dare to think about how the alpha will perform, it is the main reason I'm holding off.

sunnz

I just REALLY hope all the animations and interactions are smoother, quick and fluid ( climbing up ladders, changing guns, going prone, entering vehicles, picking something up etc...)

I don't it to be instant, i just don't it to feel like my character is 50 years old and takes his time.

Vossler

Was always intrigued by this series. Going 670 SLI should help me quite a bit with it. Trying to decide if I want in or not.

If I order from BiS will I get a key at midnight or immediately? Or worse, indefinitely :D Really excited though, hope my I5 3750K and 4GB 670 will be enough to run comfortably at max. Alpha so not too hopeful, one can hope this one will be smoother though.

Edit: as a clarification just at 1080P and without crazy AA. Sethos, do you still down sample given the game has built in 3D resolution options that go to 4K?

Smokey

You know I think I may bite on this. Very curious about it and the state it's currently in. I have the Arma games on steam but never got around to them.

Besides something needs to make my Titans sweat. Based on what I read about a2 even those may not be enough :p

BadTaste

Creating a RAMDisk would you use FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS?

Edit: After some researching it appears NTFS is better for files 4GB and above.

Longshot

I could barely play Arma 2 on I5-750 @ 3.7 with my 670. Maybe it was the settings, but arma 3 will most likely be only playable with tri sli and 6 cpus.
I'm running an i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz with an HD 5850, did you OC your CPU? Wondering if its actually worth it.

Love the sky. It's quite cool to see what a modern military shooter can look like without dozens of filter!

This. After Crysis 3, it would be great to go back to a shooter with a clean look to it where the player does not have dirty contacts on.

vocab

I'm running an i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz with an HD 5850, did you OC your CPU? Wondering if its actually worth it.

I did. Some games made a difference, but there's some games that give me problems (Every Crytek game and almost every UE3 game run random for me except Mass Effect trilogy and mirrors edge. Alice is unplayable.)

Arma 2 ran like ass on my old rig, unsurprisingly. Had a low end dual core with a 4890. Now have a 3570k with 7850 8 gb. I would think it would run Arma 3 ok, now I'm not so sure what with all these reports Bohemia isn't so good at optimizing out the gate, and what with this being an alpha no less I'm more wary to bite the pre order bullet. May wait and see your guys' performance before deciding.

Animator

Arma 2 runs like ass on every system. I am hoping Arma 3 is coded better. From the videos it looks like it runs fine but I will wait for comments before I take the dive as well.

BadTaste

Well, that RAMDisk software I linked is incredibly easy to use. I created a 4GB RAMDisk using NTFS and benchmarked it. Pretty good results.

I'll create a Youtube tutorial for ArmA 3.

A6RkCGi.jpg

Top Bottom