• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armillo|OT| Darkbots see me rollin, they hating, Tryin to catch me jumpin dimensions

tebunker

Banned
Okay, I'll make one. Thanks man.

Also, I read the Destructioid review. I found this excerpt interesting:

This is kind of an interesting point of contention for me. To me the best a game like this has to offer is usually found in the post-game where you're trying to find all of the game's content and 100% it. This review makes it sound as though the reviewer still has quite a bit to do in the game, so I wonder if the score is less accurate because of this. It's like playing 3DW and not
playing the bonus worlds
before writing your review.

Well it is Wednesday so I am just going to say it.

First you can play through all the main worlds fast and beat the game easily.

However there are power ups that you can buy that unlock areas in previous stages that unlock more things to collect and more secret stages.

The secret stages are the 2d styled worlds that are more Sonic like than anything else in the game.
There are as many secret stages as there are full stages. There is a lot to do in this game.

You will get your $6 worth out of this.

69wpm

Ah, cool. Thank you. Now that the embargo is up, how did you like the game?

Well, I got my copy yesterday and only played a few levels so I'm not be very vocal for now. I did like the first levels, the music is really awesome and you can feel how much effort was put into creating a fitting mood.

tebunker

Banned
All the giveaway is updated and no one needs to re-enter, good luck to everyone!

Can't wait to post more impressions when I get home.

I want to unlock more of the secret stages as I really enjoyed them the most

maxcriden

All the giveaway is updated and no one needs to re-enter, good luck to everyone!

Can't wait to post more impressions when I get home.

I want to unlock more of the secret stages as I really enjoyed them the most

Awesome, thanks man. I'll look forward to reading more of your impressions in the meantime.

Really looking forward to this. Picking it up on Thursday. These guys were smart to only charge $6 for it....makes this is a very easy purchase for me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds interesting, I'm a huge fan of games like Kororinpa and Super Monkey Ball... would you folks say this is similar?

tebunker

Banned
Sounds interesting, I'm a huge fan of games like Kororinpa and Super Monkey Ball... would you folks say this is similar?

There are elements. I haven't played it with tilt controls yet but I could see it even more with them.

There is a kororinpa/marble madness vibe in sections, but you can jump and dash and fight enemies and there are power ups and 2d levels and a whole lot more.

It really is an amalgamation of a lot of game styles to become unique.

maxcriden

Is the game very similar to Sonic in the 2D sections? I saw some video of the 2D segments for the first time this afternoon and I was surprised how Sonic-esque they appeared.

maxcriden

US WiiU Eshop Code 1| -- MB-E84C5BE0D7E889D0 - Taken by sheaaaa. 13 entrants total.
US WiiU Eshop Code 2| -- MB-47C4AF7A6AA0E12C - Taken by MigueelDnd. 11 entrants total.
Eu WiiU EShop Code 2| -- MB-CA9204AF4535F9EE - Taken by Weng. 7 entrants total.
EU WiiU Eshop Code 1| -- MB-9FFD87F9A34955A6 - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 7 entrants total.

Congrats guys!

tebunker

Banned
US WiiU Eshop Code 1| -- MB-E84C5BE0D7E889D0 - Taken by sheaaaa. 13 entrants total.
US WiiU Eshop Code 2| -- MB-47C4AF7A6AA0E12C - Taken by MigueelDnd. 11 entrants total.
Eu WiiU EShop Code 2| -- MB-CA9204AF4535F9EE - Taken by Weng. 7 entrants total.
EU WiiU Eshop Code 1| -- MB-9FFD87F9A34955A6 - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 7 entrants total.

Congratulations to the Winners! Thanks for everyone who entered. I know Fuzzy Wuzzy is still giving away keys on other social media channels.

I have PM'd everyone who won the link to register for the code. Let me know in PM when you have registered and I will email Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Thanks again to Fuzzy Wuzzy for giving out 4 keys to the Neo Gaf forum members.

Banner's up on /r/WiiU. Big thanks to you guys for the assets.

BrmM-u8CMAExXRn.png:large

Wow I finally won a modbot contest when there was more than one entrant. Guess modbot does not hate me after all...a nice surprise to wake up to in the morning. Congratulations to the other winners and thanks to Fuzzy Wuzzy Games and tebunker for making the contest happen.

daydream

Banned
Played a bit of it, seems like a fun game.

Sadly, the performance issues were reeeally noticeable, think I'm going to wait for the patch before venturing further.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just played the first two levels and I like it. There are some obvious slowdowns in framerate. Not unplayable, but I hope they fix it soon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just played the first two levels and I like it. There are some obvious slowdowns in framerate. Not unplayable, but I hope they fix it soon.

I agree
game is nice and fresh, you can feel the value thete, but the framerate must be fixed

Yuterald

I haven't been following this game, per say, but I've had my eye on it over the past few months. I didn't quite like the way it looked/played from screenshots and trailers, but I downloaded it on a whim an hour ago and I REALLY, REALLY like it. This is TOTALLY an N64-era quirky 3D platformer through and through. It's a collect-a-thon city, for sure, but the stage design/mechanics are extremely competent on their own. As far as unique, exclusive quirky-alternative platform adventure games go on the Wii U, I think I may even prefer this game (having only cleared the first world) to Scram Kitty (which I also really dig).

Regardless, I hope we continue to see more stuff like this on Wii U. This system has a great library as it is (especially the first party stuff), but to reach the heights that the original Wii achieved for me, I need more stuff like this! (I'm talking Elebits/Dewy's Adventure/The Munchables-like shit o the Wii U). These weirdo platform games are still very much a guilty pleasure of mine!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I haven't been following this game, per say, but I've had my eye on it over the past few months. I didn't quite like the way it looked/played from screenshots and trailers, but I downloaded it on a whim an hour ago and I REALLY, REALLY like it. This is TOTALLY an N64-era quirky 3D platformer through and through. It's a collect-a-thon city, for sure, but the stage design/mechanics are extremely competent on their own. As far as unique, exclusive quirky-alternative platform adventure games go on the Wii U, I think I may even prefer this game (having only cleared the first world) to Scram Kitty (which I also really dig).

Regardless, I hope we continue to see more stuff like this on Wii U. This system has a great library as it is (especially the first party stuff), but to reach the heights that the original Wii achieved for me, I need more stuff like this! (I'm talking Elebits/Dewy's Adventure/The Munchables-like shit o the Wii U). These weirdo platform games are still very much a guilty pleasure of mine!

Yeah, I second that, the levels that I played are well designed, nicely combining the mechanics of the game. And played them both with normal controls and motion controls and it works with both.

Thanks for the impressions; the game sounds really interesting.
I think I'm gonna download both this Armillo and Guacamelee!

Played a bit of it, seems like a fun game.

Sadly, the performance issues were reeeally noticeable, think I'm going to wait for the patch before venturing further.

Exactly. Frame rate is very disappointing right from the start. I'll wait for the patch and hope it improves the performance.

maxcriden

Better than Scram Kitty, whoa. High praise, and we do tend to have similar tastes, so that definitely increases my hype level. Thanks for the impressions! How were the framerate issues for you?

ETA: BTW, Elebits has been on my radar but I'd never heard of the other two games you mentioned. Amazing there are still neat Wii games out there that I never heard about! All three of those sound great.

jholmes

What's the dish guys? Reviews are nice but I'd like some more GAF-pressions.

To copy my response elsewhere on the Internets: It's not bad. If you've got a real love for N64-era 3D platformers and really like Super Monkey Ball-esque rolling gameplay, give it a shot. If you have a kid, it's probably worth the $6 right there. If those points don't persuade you, though, probably best to sit this one out. It's fun but sort of indistinct in a lot of ways. With all the top-notch indies out on the system right now, the only things really separating Armillo are that it's largely in 3D, it clocks in at a really good price and it's more kid-friendly than something like Scram Kitty, Guacamelee or 1001 Spikes.

That being said, I apparently do have some nostalgia for that sort of mid-tier N64 3D platformer because this game is scratching a bit of an itch I didn't know I had. Set your expectations closer to Bomberman Hero than Super Mario 64 and you'll have a good time.

ohlawd

just bought it to support the introductory price thing.

bad news is I'm gonna wait for Shovel Knight to go on sale now >_>

Yuterald

Better than Scram Kitty, whoa. High praise, and we do tend to have similar tastes, so that definitely increases my hype level. Thanks for the impressions! How were the framerate issues for you?

ETA: BTW, Elebits has been on my radar but I'd never heard of the other two games you mentioned. Amazing there are still neat Wii games out there that I never heard about! All three of those sound great.

The game definitely has some stutter/hiccups here and there, but the framerate isn't the worst I've ever seen. I honestly feel like the game runs/performs fairly well. It's certainly not unplayable or anything like that. Yeah, I mean, Scram Kitty is a different kind of game, for sure, but from what I've played, Armillo is more my style. I'm honestly quite surprised how well designed the levels are and how tight the controls/mechanics feel. I will echo the sentiment, however, that the 2D Bonus/Secret stages don't feel as good/control as well as the core 3D stages.

With that said, the stages are very concise and packed with lots of neat ideas. I've come across some interesting/varying floor tiles (like icy patches) that alter your rolling/movement speed/direction as well as fog of war-like zones that need to be traversed carefully in order to navigate/pass hazards and such. The stages are short and sweet too, but can be replayed in order to collect previously missed collectables. There's also an attempt at a scoring/ranking system, but it seems pretty easy so far to get the best rank (which I believe is Gold). Regardless, as many have already mentioned, there's quite a bit of content/bang for your buck here.

Yeah, man, the original Wii has lots of odds & ends very few people have probably played. Your mileage may vary on a few of those games (I don't think Dewy or Munchables are very popular, ha!), but one man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

I suppose I'll look into this game at some point. Still have no idea what it's about, or what the actual goal of the game is. Kinda like it like that.

just bought it to support the introductory price thing.

bad news is I'm gonna wait for Shovel Knight to go on sale now >_>

ohlawd indeed

jdw_b

Bought this last night with some left over DDP credit

Looking forward to playing it but I have waaay too many other games to finish first :)

Yuterald

Do you run the game off the internal drive? I'm under the impression it runs worse from an external hdd.

Downloaded to my internal drive. Yeah, I really don't think the game runs that poorly. I'd like to see footage of those who are saying it's unbearable to the point where they have to wait for a patch.

daydream

Banned
Downloaded to my internal drive. Yeah, I really don't think the game runs that poorly. I'd like to see footage of those who are saying it's unbearable to the point where they have to wait for a patch.

Huh? I mean, of course it's not unbearable, but it is pretty stuttery and 'framey' and chuggy, not only during gameplay but especially in transitions from gameplay to cutscene, and just overall camera movement. Very noticeable, for sure (coming from me, who didn't really notice any framerate issues in Chibi-Robo for the 3DS recently, while everyone else did). I have enough on my plate as is, so I choose to wait for the patch to have the best possible experience.

Weng

Congratulations to the Winners! Thanks for everyone who entered. I know Fuzzy Wuzzy is still giving away keys on other social media channels.

I have PM'd everyone who won the link to register for the code. Let me know in PM when you have registered and I will email Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Thanks again to Fuzzy Wuzzy for giving out 4 keys to the Neo Gaf forum members.
Thank you Fuzzy Wuzzy Games and tebunker! Congrats to the other winners.

Yuterald

Huh? I mean, of course it's not unbearable, but it is pretty stuttery and 'framey' ad chuggy, not only during gameplay but especially in transitions from gameplay to cutscene, and just overall camera movement. Very noticeable, for sure (coming from me, who didn't really notice any framerate issues in Chibi-Robo for the 3DS recently, while everyone else did). I have enough on my plate as is, so I choose to wait for the patch to have the best possible experience.

Yeah, I hear ya. I was just a little curious as to what people were seeing/feeling. Worst FPS I've experienced from a console game was Bayonetta on PS3. Even after that game got a patch I still found it hard to tolerate, ha!

TheChits

Downloaded this last night and am excited to play it today. Shame to hear about the performance issues though :/

ohlawd

just finished the first system. hahahah amazing end

first world was horrible in performance but the others were a lot better

Yuterald

I just played some more of the System 2 levels and I'm just now noticing the performance issues. Definitely had one of those significant freezes during a stage along with a more than usual amount of stutter. Seems really inconsistent across the board. Regardless, I was able to nearly 100% the first world. I think I need to get further in the game to unlock an ability for back-tracking purposes. Seems you can't 100% a few of the levels until you unlock certain moves from the shop.

Dark-VIII

i just need a small push to buy this game? is it worth it GAF?
i have 9.66$ and don't know when i'll be able to recharge so what do you think?

jholmes

It's certainly a lot of game for $6. Do you miss those old 3D platformers -- not the wide-open collectathons but the more linear type? If so, sure. There's a lot of content and the game is fun.

Tripon

Depends, is there any other eShop games you're looking at? I'd say do it since the only other 3d platformer coming up is Sonic Boom.

After Nature

Neo Member
Never had much interest in this title but reading some of the reviews and all of yours impressions I think I'm gonna bite. The EU intruduction price is a nice bonus.
I'll post my thoughts later.

69wpm

If you run Armillo off an external drive, copy it to the internal flash memory. Apparently the game runs way better this way. At least until we get a fix.

drotahorror

So this game is actually amazing. Really diggin it after not being so sure I'd be into it. Can't wait to unlock more special stages. Those side scrolling ones seem cool. Of course the main stages of the game are awesome too, some really good level design here.

I'm seriously thinking this should be one of those games recommended for every Wii U owner.

I had a hard lock playing this when I died at the same time a cutscene triggered.....unlike the famous wii u locks where you have to unplug the system, I was able to power off the system with the power button. That combined with the split second hitches makes me hope they are working on a patch. Game itself is cute but unremarkable. At the beginning of the second last world with 2:08 on the clock.

Top Bottom