• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armillo|OT| Darkbots see me rollin, they hating, Tryin to catch me jumpin dimensions

After Nature

Neo Member
Been playin' around a bit with the game now, and tried some of the 2D special stages and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. It's nice to see such a well made and seemingly chockfull of unlockables 3D indie game. I do see some hiccups regarding the framerate but nothing that bothers me, and I have the game installed on a WD 2TB external harddrive.
So for that small price I can't do anything but recommend the game to anyone who likes good puzzle platformers. I'm certain most of us here have spent more money on worse games.

And the music in the 2D stages are ace.

Exile20

Been playin' around a bit with the game now, and tried some of the 2D special stages and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. It's nice to see such a well made and seemingly chockfull of unlockables 3D indie game. I do see some hiccups regarding the framerate but nothing that bothers me, and I have the game installed on a WD 2TB external harddrive.
So for that small price I can't do anything but recommend the game to anyone who likes good puzzle platformers. I'm certain most of us here have spent more money on worse games.

And the music in the 2D stages are ace.

After I finish shovel knight and guacamelee, I will be buying this.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Found a bug today. Someone uploaded a video of it here.

Once you get the
+30 seconds for platformer levels
upgrade from the shop the game won't give you a gold medal even though your score is high enough. Hopefully this gets patched soon.

maxcriden

Did we get any ETA on a patch quite yet? I'm not a framerate aficionado by any means but all this tech talk is making me wary of picking it up quite yet when I have so much to play already. I definitely plan to buy and play it ASAP, though. I'm happy to wait and give them the extra $2 if I miss out on the introductory price, though.

daydream

Banned
Did we get any ETA on a patch quite yet? I'm not a framerate aficionado by any means but all this tech talk is making me wary of picking it up quite yet when I have so much to play already. I definitely plan to buy and play it ASAP, though. I'm happy to wait and give them the extra $2 if I miss out on the introductory price, though.

Hm, I think you should buy it now and benefit from the discount.

Seems like a safe bet that they will put out a patch, and even on the off chance they won't, it's still totally playable and fun.

Up to you, though. :p

maxcriden

Hm, I think you should buy it now and benefit from the discount.

Seems like a safe bet that they will put out a patch, and even on the off chance they won't, it's still totally playable and fun.

Up to you, though. :p

You think I should buy it now, feel free to buy it for me. You'll get to benefit from the discount *twice* that way. Haha. But really, I'd like to keep buying games but I really need to cool that for a bit. I've bought so many this year I really should work through some of what I've already got first.

daydream

Banned
You think I should buy it now, feel free to buy it for me. You'll get to benefit from the discount *twice* that way. Haha. But really, I'd like to keep buying games but I really need to cool that for a bit. I've bought so many this year I really should work through some of what I've already got first.

Hey, I would, but Nintendo hasn't implemented a gift option, yet. :(

Nah, I understand. I only mentioned it because I thought your purchase hinged on a patch release. Also, you know I'm unreasonable when it comes to buying games. :p

After Nature

Neo Member

If it were possible to gift games I would buy it for you. I have yet to feel annoyed with the few frame rate issues there are, and I would gladly help the developer with one more first week sale.

maxcriden

If it were possible to gift games I would buy it for you. I have yet to feel annoyed with the few frame rate issues there are, and I would gladly help the developer with one more first week sale.

I really appreciate that but there's no need as daydreaming has my paypal and eagerly wants to buy it for me! ;)

Yuterald

Found a bug today. Someone uploaded a video of it here.

Once you get the
+30 seconds for platformer levels
upgrade from the shop the game won't give you a gold medal even though your score is high enough. Hopefully this gets patched soon.

I was just about to come here and post this. I'm wondering if the game just isn't factoring in the bonus? Regardless, I can't manage to even get Gold with the default abilities. It's the only bonus stage in the first set where I can't seem to get the highest score. No matter how fast I fly through the level and no matter how many of the orbs I collect I'm always a couple thousand short. =/

maxcriden

Haha. Just got the urge to find someone that has no control over their shopping impulses that I can give my PayPal account name to. :)

Heh, I don't really think he's going to buy it for me. We chat a lot via PM, so daydreaming and I know all kinds of personal details like Paypal accounts and favorite shades of the sunset and deepest fears and all that good stuff.

After Nature

Neo Member
Heh, I don't really think he's going to buy it for me. We chat a lot via PM, so daydreaming and I know all kinds of personal details like Paypal accounts and favorite shades of the sunset and deepest fears and all that good stuff.

Ah, everything needed for future blackmailing. ;)

Edit: Sorry about the derailing.

The gameplay it's really fun so far, but the reason why this game costs that low was blatant from the very first stages: graphics are bad, performance is weak even with that graphics (I get unstable 30 fps with frequent drops) and the production values are those of a mobile game. I guess it's fine for that price, I was just surprised because I didn't expect that.

tebunker

Banned
The gameplay it's really fun so far, but the reason why this game costs that low was blatant from the very first stages: graphics are bad, performance is weak even with that graphics (I get unstable 30 fps with frequent drops) and the production values are those of a mobile game. I guess it's fine for that price, I was just surprised because I didn't expect that.

I don't want to sound like I am attacking you but your post completely confused me.

What do you mean specifically by bad graphics? Cause I see a fully 3d world with some really good stuff and some other stuff that shows signs of being a small indie developed game. I have also seen a lot of neat effects, especially in later stages that are really well done. Like others have said, it initially comes off as an hd ps1 or n64 styled game, and for many that is a good thing.

Also I want to know what your expectations of indie games are? Because I have bought a lot of them, many of them for more than Armillo's normal $8 price tag that aren't anywhere near as fun or well designed.

It's hard to write a response without seeming like I am jumping on you, but like I said your comments caught me off guard. At least you are having fun with the actual game play.

I don't want to sound like I am attacking you but your post completely confused me.

What do you mean specifically by bad graphics? Cause I see a fully 3d world with some really good stuff and some other stuff that shows signs of being a small indie developed game. I have also seen a lot of neat effects, especially in later stages that are really well done. Like others have said, it initially comes off as an hd ps1 or n64 styled game, and for many that is a good thing.

Also I want to know what your expectations of indie games are? Because I have bought a lot of them, many of them for more than Armillo's normal $8 price tag that aren't anywhere near as fun or well designed.

It's hard to write a response without seeming like I am jumping on you, but like I said your comments caught me off guard. At least you are having fun with the actual game play.
My problem is that I wasn't expecting that. From the trailers I saw (maybe I didn't watch them right) in the past, when the game was first shown, I was expecting 60 fps and cartoony but clean and polished graphics, I guess I was expecting higher production values.

maxcriden

It sounds like we're still expecting a locked framerate at some point, though. tebunker, are you still in touch with the devs? I'm just wondering about the ETA on a patch.

tebunker

Banned
It sounds like we're still expecting a locked framerate at some point, though. tebunker, are you still in touch with the devs? I'm just wondering about the ETA on a patch.

I don't know anything more than the next guy about a patch, but I do know any dev still has to get an update certified by Nintendo. So that could add a couple weeks to anything we see.

maxcriden

I don't know anything more than the next guy about a patch, but I do know any dev still has to get an update certified by Nintendo. So that could add a couple weeks to anything we see.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. Here's hoping it hits soon!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My problem is that I wasn't expecting that. From the trailers I saw (maybe I didn't watch them right) in the past, when the game was first shown, I was expecting 60 fps and cartoony but clean and polished graphics, I guess I was expecting higher production values.

I'm with you about the frame rate 8I wasn't expecting 60fps, but at least 30 lokced), but to me it seems that this game has pretty good production values, in the graphic department. It is a fully 3D game, with various effects on lights and textures. Unlike the vast majority of DD games, that usually opt for 2d engines (not to blame them).

I think that both the level design, the freshness of the concept and the technical graphic aspect are very solid.
I really hope they'll patch the framerate, in any case: it is really annoying in some moment of the game.

tebunker

Banned
I am not near my WiiU and wont be for a while but has anyone checked the framerate differences between being on internal memory vs hard drive?

Also the devs are updating folks via miiverse they have a couple of official dev accounts and it does look like a patch is in thebworks via miiverse posts.

jholmes

The
Shovel Knight
cameo is a thing of beauty. I wish there was a way to tell people about it without spoiling the surprise, because right now that might even help the game's sales.

also

Banned
This game deserves way more attention than it's getting. I didn't want to post until I had finished it but this thread is kind of deserted so I may as well.

While the framerate may leave a lot to be desired, I never felt like it really hindered my enjoyment of the game because the game is not as strict as, say, DK Country Returns 3DS. That being said, I was still pleasantly surprised by how challenging the game can be; getting some of the gold medals can be pretty tough, especially in the 2D levels. Speaking of which, those are GREAT! They introduce a lot of neat concepts (
rotation, gravity change, vertical climbing, vision distortion...
) and require a great deal of precision if you want to collect all the orbs within the strict time limit (The shop upgrade is for weaklings!). Made me really wish for a strictly 2D sequel. Mind, the 3D levels are also good and they too offer plenty of variety and surprises (
eating to grow in size and smash obstacles, alternating between surface and underground, flipping platforms
), but lately I've preferring 2D games.
The story is kind of throwaway with some neat lines here and there, and the music is quite catchy.

The game is so cheap that you should definitely check it out if you are in the mood for a platformer. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

The
Shovel Knight
cameo is a thing of beauty. I wish there was a way to tell people about it without spoiling the surprise, because right now that might even help the game's sales.

Someone on Miiverse posted a screenshot and spoilt it for me :(

What a charming little game! It's like Sonic, Super Mario Galaxy and the morphball-sections of Metroid Prime in one. Played it for a few hours and having a blast with it.

I don't think the graphics are bad, they're simple but it adds to the PSX-vibes I already get from the mascotte-like main character. The framerate could be better though, it makes some boss battles harder than they really are.

Also the controls are razor sharp.

Yuterald

This game deserves way more attention than it's getting. I didn't want to post until I had finished it but this thread is kind of deserted so I may as well.

While the framerate may leave a lot to be desired, I never felt like it really hindered my enjoyment of the game because the game is not as strict as, say, DK Country Returns 3DS. That being said, I was still pleasantly surprised by how challenging the game can be; getting some of the gold medals can be pretty tough, especially in the 2D levels. Speaking of which, those are GREAT! They introduce a lot of neat concepts (
rotation, gravity change, vertical climbing, vision distortion...
) and require a great deal of precision if you want to collect all the orbs within the strict time limit (The shop upgrade is for weaklings!)
. Made me really wish for a strictly 2D sequel. Mind, the 3D levels are also good and they too offer plenty of variety and surprises (
eating to grow in size and smash obstacles, alternating between surface and underground, flipping platforms
), but lately I've preferring 2D games.
The story is kind of throwaway with some neat lines here and there, and the music is quite catchy.

The game is so cheap that you should definitely check it out if you are in the mood for a platformer. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Someone on Miiverse posted a screenshot and spoilt it for me :(

Please, pray tell me how you got Gold on Secret Level 1-2 then? ;)
The unlockable abilities that add time and such don't influence your score, at the moment...

also

Banned
Please, pray tell me how you got Gold on Secret Level 1-2 then? ;)
The unlockable abilities that add time and such don't influence your score, at the moment...

That one I haven't cracked yet. After seeing that I was always falling a few k short of the requirement I moved on. That was the first secret level I played and I figured I would return to it once I got better or unlocked a new ability.

Yuterald

That one I haven't cracked yet. After seeing that I was always falling a few k short of the requirement I moved on. That was the first secret level I played and I figured I would return to it once I got better or unlocked a new ability.

Ha, interesting. Yeah, I can only manage 16K. I wonder if they meant for you to return to some of these stages with the purchasable upgrades/abilities in order to obtain Golds. As of right now, there seems to be a bug/glitch where the Secret Levels don't recognize/take into account any of the additional passive bonuses (such as the time extender). I'm hoping someone made this known to the developers and that will be included/fixed in the patch? =/

Varg

Banned
Horrible framerate and performance issues are stopping me from continuing with the game. Had a chat with the developer on miiverse and it seems they're working on the patch as fast as they can. I'll just keep it to the side till then as I can see the potential.

maxcriden

Ha, interesting. Yeah, I can only manage 16K. I wonder if they meant for you to return to some of these stages with the purchasable upgrades/abilities in order to obtain Golds. As of right now, there seems to be a bug/glitch where the Secret Levels don't recognize/take into account any of the additional passive bonuses (such as the time extender). I'm hoping someone made this known to the developers and that will be included/fixed in the patch? =/

You should definitely post on Miiverse about it, maybe send a direct msg to the devs. Might fall through the cracks otherwise. :(

tebunker

Banned
Horrible framerate and performance issues are stopping me from continuing with the game. Had a chat with the developer on miiverse and it seems they're working on the patch as fast as they can. I'll just keep it to the side till then as I can see the potential.

Were you playing on internal memory or external hd? I would like to hear if your experience is different based on where the game is installed as I heard it can make a diff.

The Nintendo World Report youtubed their podcast segment on the game giving their impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6yiNLh1F7Q

I'm about to start the game, I was just wondering, what NNP/DDP points did people get for the game? My download code seems to have given me the points using full price as the Price Basis for Points rather than the introductory value.

Weng

I'm about to start the game, I was just wondering, what NNP/DDP points did people get for the game? My download code seems to have given me the points using full price as the Price Basis for Points rather than the introductory value.
Same.

also

Banned
Has anyone gotten the gold on 3-4 or 3-2? In 3-4 there appears to be a whole section in the dark world that I can't seem to access.

maxcriden

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/armillo_update_rolling_through_nintendo_approval_process

Update includes:

■Frame Rate issues (more to do with audio asset loading than framerate)
■3-1 missing platformer cube
■Bonus 2D levels scoring (some levels are impossible to get Gold on sat the moment)
■Progression to 100% completion items 2-3 affect this
■Some optimizations that should help when running off external USB drives
■6-1 missing cube fix

Very psyched for this!!

colon

Have any of you played it after downloading the patch? Imo, the frame rate still needs a lot of work.

Top Bottom