• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Any games you recommended?
Mech-specific?

While Mechwarrior 5 on its own is really not that good, it's a solid foundation and there are many mods to fill it with more missions, variants, weapons, bugfixes, etc.
Heavily modded, I definitely recommend it.

Tactics-games, I'm afraid there isn't much except BattleTech.
But that game, too, is heavily flawed - insane loading times and unskippable transition cutscenes broke me, for example :LOL:
And again, lots of mods around to put more meat on the bare bones.

But there a few mech-related indies like the very recent Mech Engineer.

It's definitely a niche field, I'm afraid.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
"Cinder" Carla in the Arena 😯

Pretty sure this is the best mech game ever made but keep the metallic tears coming boys, it's delicious 😆

Edit: all of Rank B Arena clear, love these battles, reading the lore entries for each mech and getting their cool emblems upon defeat, good stuff. 90% of these I beat on my first attempt, let's see what A (and S?) rank will bring.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Any games you recommended?
As far as JP mech games go, two you could take a look at are DAEMON X MACHINA or Xenoblade Chronicles X

DXM is more similar to Armored Core and even has people who worked on the series on its team. It does have "faces", customizable character, cutscenes, more dialogue, etc; and a generally slower gameplay, however i often hear the plot is very average.

XCX plays like an MMO rather than fast paced real time action game. However you do get a large open world, the ability to exit the mech and play as your characters, a really big cast of characters with you even being able to do side missions for them, party system, etc. Problem is, first its an Wii U exclusive so you either set up an emulator or get your hands on a Wii U. Secondly it takes reeeeeeeeeeeeally long for you to get inside a mech, so you'll play for quite a while just as your base character. Its an insanely big game in general, both in terms of content and scale.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No man, we were not discussing. You were having an unhinged episode over there and I won't have this kind of back-talk in this bitch.

get-out-slap-dpd3u40zt5owwgxi.gif
Nah, i always talk like that, if you can't handle some light jackassery (after you told me to cope and that i'm a noob) them i'm gonna turn down a notch but i can assure you that i wasn't mad in the slightest, don't play the victim here, we are all adults.

Never enter the graphical fidelity topic if you can't handle some light jokes :lollipop_squinting:

killatopak

Gold Member
Everytime I tried that it damaged me
Obviously, you need to keep moving as well. Maybe you can play the long game and just play from afar if need be. Use impact weapons. Like missiles. Personally, I just used a linear rifle and a shoulder missile. And when I can occasionally do it, I jump over it and land on the back to deal melee just to speed up the stagger gauge. I also had a laser cannon on my other shoulder to increase the damage output while staggered.

I think the key here is playing aggressively during phase 1 when you still have the companion. I timed it enough that I staggered it a second time and dealt 2/3 of its health before the companion mech leaves. It’s just a matter of staggering it for the third time to kill it. Can even finish the boss without ever using a single repair kit due to that.

SCB3

Obviously, you need to keep moving as well. Maybe you can play the long game and just play from afar if need be. Use impact weapons. Like missiles. Personally, I just used a linear rifle and a shoulder missile. And when I can occasionally do it, I jump over it and land on the back to deal melee just to speed up the stagger gauge. I also had a laser cannon on my other shoulder to increase the damage output while staggered.

I think the key here is playing aggressively during phase 1 when you still have the companion. I timed it enough that I staggered it a second time and dealt 2/3 of its health before the companion mech leaves. It’s just a matter of staggering it for the third time to kill it. Can even finish the boss without ever using a single repair kit due to that.

Yea I took a few hours away and beat it first try on a re-attempt just now, its a rough boss but maybe its a good teaching tool for this combat, you really do have to be in the air constantly on it,

Bry0

Mech-specific?

While Mechwarrior 5 on its own is really not that good, it's a solid foundation and there are many mods to fill it with more missions, variants, weapons, bugfixes, etc.

But that game, too, is heavily flawed - insane loading times and unskippable transition cutscenes broke me, for example :LOL:

MechWarrior 5 has had pretty good support, and the dlc has done a good job fleshing out different aspects of the game content wise, while patches paired with each dlc release improve some fundamental aspects of the game for everyone.

It’s not perfect and I wish they had a bigger budget and more technical chops, but I think PGI has done a good job with what they have. It will be getting another dlc campaign and patch later this month too. I mean they are the only ones who managed to fit melee into a mechwarrior game so that’s pretty sweet.

As for AC6 beat it last night and started a little ng+. But yeah dual Gatling guns and the worm needle back weapons feels pretty busted. I almost feel like I need to rush through ng+ before they nerf it or something. Lol

Last edited:

SantaC

Not enjoying this game at all, have that horrible I’ve just wasted my money feeling. Gameplay grievances aside, it also just feels too expensive for what it is, there is no way the budget of this game is even near Elden ring but yet the same RRP. Not even any faces or character models, just basic missions and audio clips so far.
Quick cash in for the real fromsoft games.

Fun game. Been getting beat by chapter 1 boss for a bit, but feel myself getting better, and enjoying trying different builds.

Game plays great, unique, good challenge. Still working on BG3 and Starfield come Thursday. But like this as something a bit different, love how fast a session can be with the short missions and high replayability.

Makariel

Was beaten by the flying mobility scooter a bunch of times until I transformed my AC into a tank with double plasma and lascannons, then I've been attacked by a roomba from hell for which I effectively needed to turn into a helicopter, and now I beat up a giant spider on my second try with dual shotguns. 10/10 game, would buy again. Also perfect match for the steam deck, if some of the font were just a tiny bit larger.

SJRB

Gold Member
Gentlemen, it is with great sadness to inform you that I fucking suck at this game. Similar to Sekiro I just can't seem to get the "rhythm" of the button presses down. I'll keep crunching but with Starfield coming this Friday things aren't looking good for my boy 621.

nikos

This game's camera and movement are horrible, some of the worst I've ever experienced in a game. Couple that with EN management, which probably gets better with upgrades, and it feels very tedious to play. That's the only reason I'm not enjoying it so far.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This is my first mecha game, and I'm in love. Taking my time with it, as I don't want it to end.

Are the previous installments similar gameplay/controlwise?

Pretty much , although their budget /presentation is way lower than this latest installment which received some extra love due to all that souls moneyz.

Also : AC4 and 4 Answer are even faster than this one/more and more "chaotic" if you will but at the same time they're still methodical in their approach to missions...
AC5 is more online focused.

If you want a more "arcade-like" Mecha game, you can try Zone of the enders 2 which, to me, is still the best Mecha game out there - you do lose on the pseudo-sim building aspect of the AC games but you gain on the action bit (plays like any normal action game basically).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
dumb comment of the month. congrats.
Whole meaning behind "quick cash" is the game easy to sell but AC are very niche, its actually vey risky to make games like these but FROM love this series.

I can no longer tell if people joking making this type of comments or are they that dumb.

GrayChild

Whole meaning behind "quick cash" is the game easy to sell but AC are very niche, its actually vey risky to make games like these but FROM love this series.

I can no longer tell if people joking making this type of comments or are they that dumb.

Hopefully we'll get even more of these quick cash grabs, as so far this is my GOTY.

This game just makes me... happy.

SCB3

I'm loving the Arena battles so far, they've been a joy to play, the Timed Intel mission however was a miss, I failed it for not getting enough Info once and then beat it by getting the same info??? Ok I guess?

YukiOnna

7 years spent on domestic national treasure. Quick cash.

I don't care if you don't like it, but don't be a loser about it.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Mech-specific?

Mechwarrior 5 is fantastic, especially after all the DLC and refinements. So is Armored Core. Different games that scratches different itches.

Took me 40 tries to beat that fucking helicopter lol.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Is this something that a person in their late 40’s (diminished reflexes) can play or should I just go buy a pack of werther’s originals instead?

Jesus christ dude its a video game not a physical sport.... Get Good, you should be appreciating the challenge as you get older.

you know, after FFXVI and Diablo 4 disappointed me it’s so nice for hype to be justified.

Been playing this for like 7 hours today. Not one moment hasn’t been fun. Praise the sun!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok so I just got into chapter4 and achieved rank A in the arena.
I’ve not died in whole chapter 3 aside from last mission and never in the arena since the beginning.
Turns out just being a minigun tank is great. .. well at least for me. I always play strength .
Balteus really was the hardest part of the game so far.
I am hoping it stays this way…. But I won’t get my hopes up :p

Alex11

Gentlemen, it is with great sadness to inform you that I fucking suck at this game. Similar to Sekiro I just can't seem to get the "rhythm" of the button presses down. I'll keep crunching but with Starfield coming this Friday things aren't looking good for my boy 621.
I'm in the same boat, minus the Sekiro part, that game it's my all time favourite FromSoftware one. Here I can't even put a dent in the tutorial boss, lol, think I could play it for a week and still not beat that boss, think this game is not meant for everyone, and it's nothing wrong with that.

Killer8

Are people really struggling on the first helicoptor boss? I did it on my second try... All you do is use the L3 boost to get close, slash it a couple of times and then hit it with missiles on the descent after you run out of energy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fun game. Been getting beat by chapter 1 boss for a bit, but feel myself getting better, and enjoying trying different builds.

Game plays great, unique, good challenge. Still working on BG3 and Starfield come Thursday. But like this as something a bit different, love how fast a session can be with the short missions and high replayability.

the tank build with laser blasters looks like it would be fun against the chapter 1 boss. I saw it on YouTube.

IMG-9138.png

Beat Chapter One boss my third try getting back to it today. Fun as hell. Nobody does boss fights, and the thrill of victory, as well as FROM. Even with the rest of this game feeling nothing like their other games I've played.

Everything that unlocked in the shop afterwards had all my endorphins going.

Very good video game.

Top Bottom