• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

j0hnnix

Finished the game. Glad I took time off and just enjoyed it. Music is fantastic. God first AC game ever and I'm a fan.

Game is fun as hell and difficult due to build checks out of nowhere but I used the Arena to get a better idea on my AC fights that were to come.

Balteus was just a prick of boss design but once I saw the build I needed, putting the cool looking one aside. I walked through next boss fights with comparable build with some minor hurdles but easy compared to souls/sekiro bosses.

Chapter 4 end boss was less of a build check and more of a skill check , just keeping myself on target with those speed moves was a challenge but brute forced it with a change up kept tank build but moved to ve-60sna and dual Gatling. Used the same build for final end game boss.

Oh, and man I swear no one is playing this on Xbox or they are just bad at these type of games. 1.93% have completed it.. at least that's the achievement percentage I got. We will see later how that changes in the future.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
angry rant incoming

Fuck this game. Unbalanced piece of crap excused for "game design". I am tired of these games for streamers.
It's not hard. It's just badly balanced bs. Sure, let's give this crazy boss a shield and almost impossible rockets to avoid. And that's only first phase...
Seriously. I had the same problem with Sekiro and Elden Ring.
With Sekiro, it was all smooth sailing until the very last boss... which was terribly designed with many phases just to infuriate you. BUT OK - IT WAS THE LAST BOSS.
In Elden Ring, it was all nice and somewhat manageable (maybe outside of crucible knights but ok) but then after mountaintops of the giants, the game suddenly got so stupidly hard with bosses. Malekith, godskin duo, last boss with again bullshit phases. But again - it was the endgame. (nothing excuses multiple phases last boss fight though)
Sekiro had fun gameplay, very manageable but only bosses were hardcore ramp ups. But when I "understood" how to defeat guardian ape, the whole game clicked for me... aside from last boss. fuuuuck him.

Here in ac6, the game is manageable, maybe even easy but then bosses happen. And I am talking about Balteus here. He even has miniboss before him so if you want to get new parts, you must get by him too.
His first phase is doble but by the time 2nd phase hits, I am low on heals and it's so fkn crazy and stupid, I seriously don't care to play this anymore right now...
These bosses are twitch spectacles. Something to watch streamers fight... I play my whole life and this is bs.

Again, how is it "amazing, tight design" ? Excuse me?
You play normal/easy missions and then out of nowhere you fight crazy boss, harder than anything in any other game probably. Nothing prepared you for this and nothing will. You can't go anywhere else and return.
Is it really a good design if I have to totally change my build to beat the boss?
70$ spent. stuck on chapter1....
I am sure I will beat him later today or tomorrow. But this is not fun. There is nothing fun about repeating a boss fight over and over. And you want new gun? You must quit the chapter, farm old missions, buy new gun and then play balteus mission again, defeat salami or whatever and then face the boss again. great design...

edit: That said - the game looks and feels great. The music is amazing in contact mission. Just spectacular... only it's infuriating
I've noticed in From games there's no point in continuing to play once I go on "tilt". Put it down, come back in a couple hours. Every morning since release I've felt like I leveled up during my first morning session. In true RPG fashion, you can't truly level up without sleep. I'm stuck on Balteus too, but I know I'll crack him eventually. Game is fantastic, I'm thinking it's worth my finally upgrading the ol CPU just to get that locked 60. Need all the help I can get.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've noticed in From games there's no point in continuing to play once I go on "tilt". Put it down, come back in a couple hours. Every morning since release I've felt like I leveled up during my first morning session. In true RPG fashion, you can't truly level up without sleep. I'm stuck on Balteus too, but I know I'll crack him eventually. Game is fantastic, I'm thinking it's worth my finally upgrading the ol CPU just to get that locked 60. Need all the help I can get.
Usually when you first encounter tough boss it feels impossible and some people get really frustrated. But once you calm down and comeback with fresh mind then you see the boss is actually manageable.

GutsOfThor

I've been gaming since the late 80s and have never played any of the Armored Core series. Is this game easy to get into for someone entirely new to the series?

Gojiira

Been playing steadily since release and I have mixed feelings tbh, on the one hand it looks great, controls are good, aesthetics etc are all good. But…Its also kinda meh too in some respects. For instance customisation is nowhere near as deep as previous entries, the mission structure is dated, its basically exactly the same as the last few games just prettier, balance Im not sure yet but it feels like some missions/bosses require certain loadouts for a first time run and that is just bad design pure and simple. Luckily my critiques dont put me off the game or anything but AC really does need some competition to push some innovation, wheres the third person on foot Hangar? Wheres the NPC’s you can see and converse with? Hell wheres the one thing from Souls the game needs, boss souls, or in this case boss ‘parts’? Wheres the faction choice/routes like early games? Wheres the dual melee weapons? Why aren’t there any support systems? Yeah definitely think theres some things that would massively improve the experience.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been gaming since the late 80s and have never played any of the Armored Core series. Is this game easy to get into for someone entirely new to the series?

This is my first AC and it took a few moments to get the controls. To be fair I'm still kinda struggling sometimes (7 hours playtime) because there are 4 weapon input buttons, a dodge button, a slide button, a jump/fly button, a lock button, a heal button and of course the movement in the z-axis. And then of course all the different weapons and builds and stats. There's a lot to process.

Things can get kinda hectic during combat and there is a lot going on in the UI. Some missions are ridiculously easy and then all of a sudden the game sucker punches you with a massive difficulty spike.

In terms of lore, narrative or pretty much anything else the game is super barebones. It just drops you right in, zero explanation. I'm still not sure what is going on. I stole another mercenary's callsign and now I'm infiltrating? But not really because my handler talks to all the companies? No idea.

Overall the game feels super oldschool. Which is probably by design and a throwback to earlier AC games, but it's not always working for me.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

angry rant incoming

Fuck this game. Unbalanced piece of crap excused for "game design". I am tired of these games for streamers.
It's not hard. It's just badly balanced bs. Sure, let's give this crazy boss a shield and almost impossible rockets to avoid. And that's only first phase...
Seriously. I had the same problem with Sekiro and Elden Ring.
With Sekiro, it was all smooth sailing until the very last boss... which was terribly designed with many phases just to infuriate you. BUT OK - IT WAS THE LAST BOSS.
In Elden Ring, it was all nice and somewhat manageable (maybe outside of crucible knights but ok) but then after mountaintops of the giants, the game suddenly got so stupidly hard with bosses. Malekith, godskin duo, last boss with again bullshit phases. But again - it was the endgame. (nothing excuses multiple phases last boss fight though)
Sekiro had fun gameplay, very manageable but only bosses were hardcore ramp ups. But when I "understood" how to defeat guardian ape, the whole game clicked for me... aside from last boss. fuuuuck him.

Here in ac6, the game is manageable, maybe even easy but then bosses happen. And I am talking about Balteus here. He even has miniboss before him so if you want to get new parts, you must get by him too.
His first phase is doble but by the time 2nd phase hits, I am low on heals and it's so fkn crazy and stupid, I seriously don't care to play this anymore right now...
These bosses are twitch spectacles. Something to watch streamers fight... I play my whole life and this is bs.

You play normal/easy missions and then out of nowhere you fight crazy boss, harder than anything in any other game probably. Nothing prepared you for this and nothing will. You can't go anywhere else and return.
Is it really a good design if I have to totally change my build to beat the boss?
70$ spent. stuck on chapter1....
I am sure I will beat him later today or tomorrow. But this is not fun. There is nothing fun about repeating a boss fight over and over. And you want new gun? You must quit the chapter, farm old missions, buy new gun and then play balteus mission again, defeat salami or whatever and then face the boss again. great design...

edit: That said - the game looks and feels great. The music is amazing in contact mission. Just spectacular... only it's infuriating
Balteus claims another victim lol

All attacks are hitbox based, none of that Sekiro bullshit where some attacks would get you no matter what unless you were either extremely far away or pressed the exact button the devs wanted you to press on the correct minuscule time window. No finisher animations either, even for attacking staggered enemies or being attacked while staggered. Its all hit based, making for much more consistent fights.

Also, the game relies solely on its combat encounters and enemies to be difficult. Many earlier souls games were hard mostly because dying came at the price of annoyingly have to trod all the way back to the boss room. Not to mention you always have to manage your items to account for multiple tries at a boss so even those often didn't feel like an option.

Here you just restart from the beginning of the boss and thats it, no items to take into account, game even lets you change your build if you're having trouble. The game gives you a fair and square challenge while also not annoying you in any way shape or form. Just you and the challenge with no stoppers in between.

I'd argue thats intentional, this isn't an RPG where you make a build and stick to it. Changing builds to fit the mission is entirely part of the game.

I'll say however, i would've liked if they added a more "immersive" excuse within the game's plot for changing the build before a boss fight. Like making major bosses their own separate mission like MGSV did and then gave some plot excuse that let players change their build for the fight. But this is just a nitpick.

Farming old missions too is also clearly part of the design, given how they even only give you a rank when you play one for the second time. It is a very level-based, skill-based game, it wants you to replay missions over and over, try different builds, etc. You know, have fun with it. In a way it really reminds me of retro shooters.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Balteus claims another victim lol

All attacks are hitbox based, none of that Sekiro bullshit where some attacks would get you no matter what unless you were either extremely far away or pressed the exact button the devs wanted you to press on the correct minuscule time window. No finisher animations either, even for attacking staggered enemies or being attacked while staggered. Its all hit based, making for much more consistent fights.

Also, the game relies solely on its combat encounters and enemies to be difficult. Many earlier souls games were hard mostly because dying came at the price of annoyingly have to trod all the way back to the boss room. Not to mention you always have to manage your items to account for multiple tries at a boss so even those often didn't feel like an option.

Here you just restart from the beginning of the boss and thats it, no items to take into account, game even lets you change your build if you're having trouble. The game gives you a fair and square challenge while also not annoying you in any way shape or form. Just you and the challenge with no stoppers in between.

I'd argue thats intentional, this isn't an RPG where you make a build and stick to it. Changing builds to fit the mission is entirely part of the game.

I'll say however, i would've liked if they added a more "immersive" excuse within the game's plot for changing the build before a boss fight. Like making major bosses their own separate mission like MGSV did and then gave some plot excuse that let players change their build for the fight. But this is just a nitpick.

Farming old missions too is also clearly part of the design, given how they even only give you a rank when you play it for the second time. It is a very level-based, skill-based game, it wants you to replay missions over and over, try different builds, etc. In a way it really reminds me of retro shooters.
Maybe in a stroke of bad luck, I've noticed a huge mess in a corner of my room. A plant was overwatered and fucking dirty water was everywhere.
I cleaned it all up, returned to the game and destroyed balteus... fucking hell

SJRB

Gold Member
0exxbme6fokb1.jpg

JFC some of the moves you can pull off… the extreme levels of power and skill this game can make you feel when things go right. And the scope to fix errors on the fly is, I think, something they learned from Sekiro.

I was playing Neir Automata before this and thinking I was enjoying it but really I knew I was forcing myself through it.

This is pure, unbridled fun. It’s getting to the point where I can only play modern Fromsoft games.

Maybe in a stroke of bad luck, I've noticed a huge mess in a corner of my room. A plant was overwatered and fucking dirty water was everywhere.
I have so many little stories like this with Souls and Elden Ring lol.

Danjin44

Funny thing we went trough exact with Sekiro, people calling the game "badly designed" because it too difficult. My only advice for people if you see yourself raging and frustrated then top playing the game and take a break because you are not beating boss like that and then comeback with fresh mind and I can grantee you will have easier time.

Last edited:
Resident CG Hoe here:

Are the CG trailers in the actual game?

I know I can watch them on YouTube, but I like them when they’re in the actual game as an opening or as something you can see when you wait on the Title Screen. I was disappointed when Elden Ring didn’t have its trailers in the game.

Speaking of Title Screens, I know there’s like 10 seconds of CG trailer footage there, but is there CG footage anywhere else?

SJRB

Gold Member
Resident CG Hoe here:

I know I can watch them on YouTube, but I like them when they’re in the actual game as an opening or as something you can see when you wait on the Title Screen. I was disappointed when Elden Ring didn’t have its trailers in the game.

Speaking of Title Screens, I know there’s like 10 seconds of CG trailer footage there, but is there CG footage anywhere else?

After beating the tutorial boss there's a video with like 10 seconds of CG announcement trailer footage with some filter over it.

YukiOnna

Resident CG Hoe here:

The opening cutscene is CG like Sekiro's if I remember correctly. The Story Trailer is also CG if you never saw that

Draugoth

Gold Member
Started playing it today.

Embrace my Armored Core:

UDbt56Z.png

The game is hard, but i noticed every enemy has its individual weakness, so if you are struggling, just search on google how to cheese them.

Now For people who are stuck in the tutorial boss, you are better off asking for a refund.

angry rant incoming

Trust me. If you want to pla yan unbalanced game, try Diablo 4 on Hardcore.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member

Embrace my Armored Core:

UDbt56Z.png

The game is hard, but i noticed every enemy has its individual weakness, so if you are struggling, just search on google how to cheese them.

Now For people who are stuck in the tutorial boss, you are better off asking for a refund.

Meh i watched a walkthrough on the first boss and been fine ever since.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Embrace my Armored Core:

UDbt56Z.png

Think I got some speed. I got that guy, the cleaner and now the sea spider. The Spider took me only 3 tries… miniguns. Good.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Worth it?

MagnesD3

Did around 25 missions (was neither challenging nor fun) and started feeling genuine anxiety over how boring the game was. In the middle of an action sequence I was literally starting to think ’holy fuck what am I even doing’.

Twice in a row, has From fucked me in the ass. Both Elden Ring and AC6 bored the living shit out of me. At least now I know for certain I won’t be touching their shitty games for a long time.

And as per standard, I will post my highly accurate review-list of From games that I've played:

Demon's Ps3: 10
DkS1: 5
DkS2: 7
DkS3: 9
BB: 9
Sekiro: 8
Elden Ring: 4
AC6: 2
Demons 9.7
DS1 9.6
DS2 9.5
DS3 havent played
BB 9.5
Sekiro havent played
Elden Ring 9.8
AC6 will play this week

None of these games will be below a 9 im sure

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Worth it?
Yeah... sea spider was no problem too after that. Very effective evening haha.
All arena guys first try too.

I remember when I was a teen, I couldn't beat last mission in NFS most wanted. I woke up next morning and beat it first try.

I do have some legitimate (now out of tilt) issues with the game:
-The story and delivery through after mission messages is really not interesting at all.
-The levels look amazing but there is nothing there. It's all arenas.
-The training stuff and arena stuff is just a filler.
-Some missions are laughable. You go out, kill 4 dudes. mission done. 3 minutes.
It really is just an "arcade old style" game dressed in new way and THAT IS GOOD. Not every game need to have a crazy story and so on.

What this game does great is:
-Graphics, animations, music. the music is amazing.
-Set pieces.
-Atmosphere of a dying world
-The combat and customization is pristine of course. Just the balance is weird.

Danjin44

Some missions are laughable. You go out, kill 4 dudes. mission done. 3 minutes.
Those mission are design around you can easily replay them if you want quick bucks.

Monster Hunter games also have this type of quests. It just nature of mission base structure .

Last edited:
My only issue is that I wish the mech walked a bit faster when you only use the sticks to move. Other than that it’s perfect. So far.

zeldaring

Banned
Nothing will ever be as bad as blood vial farming.
Yea I have no idea how the game scored so high. It was a massive flaw and made me stop playing it, came back years later cause the internet kept praising it and it was worth it lol. That was a shit game design at its finest and probably made millions of people sell or return the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's almost even more inexcusable. It's vial farming again.
I personally dont that at all, it nice break form some of the more epic and involved missions, I can quickly finish those small mission make quick buck and fits with life of mercenary.

My only issue is that I wish the mech walked a bit faster when you only use the sticks to move. Other than that it’s perfect. So far.
I mean at end of the day they are giant mechs, your speed mostly comes from your thrusters.....this even true mobile suits in Gundams, they are not really fast when they are using their feet.

Only reason Eva are fast because they are not mechanical, they actually have muscles.
3Iga.gif

Last edited:
Yea I have no idea how the game scored so high. It was a massive flaw and made me stop playing it, came back years later cause the internet kept praising it and it was worth it lol. That was a shit game design at its finest and probably made millions of people sell or return the game.
I will forever be puzzled at how it has such a rabid following. Moment-to-moment combat is great but none of the bosses are particularly good and I play these games for those fights.

I go through it every now and then to try and find what I’m missing.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Those mission are design around you can easily replay them if quick bucks.

Monster Hunter games have this type quests. It just nature of mission base structure .
That and it's a nice balance because there is fun in having missions/excursions where you just rip everything apart the usual Armored Core way or go around to survey. I don't think it's good to always be alert.
Helps to test out new AC builds and get use to them if you hit a wall, too.

I personally dont that at all, it nice break form some of the more epic and involved missions, I can quickly finish those small mission make quick buck and fits with life of mercenary.

I mean at end of the day they are giant mechs, your speed mostly comes from your thrusters.....this even true mobile suits in Gundams, they are not really fast when they are using their feet.

Only reason Eva are fast because they are not mechanical, they actually have muscles.
3Iga.gif
Yeah it makes sense it’s just that I’m the guy who never uses the horse in Elden Ring. And I’ll walk through the cities in GTA. So it doesn’t mesh with my play style.

Fabieter

I like the game but after not finishing act 1 for hours even after looking up build I have to admit to myself that iam a okay souls player but ac seemingly isn't for me.

John Bilbo

Balteus beaten. Great boss, had a grin on my face while playing it.

The bubble gun with a burst rifle in the other hand melted the shield while firing 8 missiles from my back. When the shield melted, I did a double hit with the basic blade.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is there a simple way to stop boosting or flying? Is if just pull back on the stick. I feel a little clumsy and thinking it's something I'm doing wrong.

John Bilbo

I think I'm in love with this game. It took a couple of hours to click, but since I got into the customization it has been great.

I recommend checking out some cool decals people have created on the Steam community.

SpokkX

I really love this game. Expected it to be much harder though

Perhaps it gets harder late game? I am soon at the end of chapter 3 and most difficult fights just need smart loadout changes

Bartski

Gold Member
NG+ melee unlocks man, so good. Finallly the twinblade! Doing much better against minibosses with agile builds. Shame there is one OP setup in game that just melts everything and kills a lot of the motivation to experiment when getting stuck, being dual gatling + dual needle. I’m sure we’ll see nerfs in the patch notes

Fabieter

Balteus beaten. Great boss, had a grin on my face while playing it.

The bubble gun with a burst rifle in the other hand melted the shield while firing 8 missiles from my back. When the shield melted, I did a double hit with the basic blade.

Iam envy you

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Demons 9.7
DS1 9.6
DS2 9.5
DS3 havent played
BB 9.5
Sekiro havent played
Elden Ring 9.8
AC6 will play this week

None of these games will be below a 9 im sure

Everything they’ve made is a 9/10 contextually speaking. It’s extreme hyperbole to give any of their games a 2/10 because your lens is so micro focused on one aspect most likely that you don’t even consider the whole package.

You want a 2/10 game ? Try RedFall. No one would argue that score because it’s easily justifiable.

Giving AC6 a 2/10 is saying “this game is fundamentally broken.” Think Gollum game for another recent example.

Does AC6 run well ? Yes. Does it look good ? Yes. Sound design on point ? Yup. Controls well? Yes. Does it crash or have bugs ? Nope. So simply using the most basic thing that would make a game be a 6 or 7 out of 10 is checked off.

I could see an argument for 6/10 due to not liking the story presentation , short and piss easy missions , frustration from bosses, etc to say “this game isn’t for me and may not be for you if these things bother you.” Cool.

A 2/10? Fuck out of here. Makes any value you throw at any game to be taken with a giant grain of salt, good or bad. When you drop a 2/10 it better be a broken soulless product.

Top Bottom