• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Finding the game too hard with all your fancy weapons? Pffffft. One replay mission I spent exploring the map from top to bottom and ran out of gatling gun ammo, quite enjoyed punching the crap out of a couple of enemies after softening them up with missiles but this is next level lol

POKEYCLYDE

Beat the game earlier tonight. The two final bosses go full anime in the best way possible. Epic music and fights.

New game plus took less than a hour for chapter 1. Some nice surprises in it.

Game is a blast!
I've read there is new content in NG+, and even more content in NG++

Don't know that I'm going to be doing all that. I got by some of those bosses by a hair. Not sure that I could do them again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I've read there is new content in NG+, and even more content in NG++

Don't know that I'm going to be doing all that. I got by some of those bosses by a hair. Not sure that I could do them again.
I mean if you’ve been using new parts and weapons then going back to do any of these bosses is a cake walk. I didn’t have access to dual laser drone shoulders and dual harris guns for chapter 1. It makes every encounter a joke.

The two new encounters had some challenge to them though.

I think for me if I knew the “hardest” boss is only able to be fought via full completion then I’m in. If it isn’t then who cares ?

Pimpbaa

Jesus christ dude its a video game not a physical sport.... Get Good, you should be appreciating the challenge as you get older.

I was good, I can’t get good again because reflexes simply get worse as you get older...plus I smoke a lot of weed for medicinal purposes. But that’s irrelevant for this game as people have told me, as your build matters more.

YukiOnna

Beat the game earlier tonight. The two final bosses go full anime in the best way possible. Epic music and fights.

New game plus took less than a hour for chapter 1. Some nice surprises in it.

Game is a blast!
I only started Chapter 4 on 1st playthrough today, but I'm still amazed by the many moments in Ch 3. Several bosses in that, especially the last 2, were straight up Mecha anime. Looking forward to it.

YukiOnna

3uhl32rfqqkb1.png

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've been playing with a controller, but my batteries died tonight and I tried with M&K.

Is it me, or is M&K the better option for this game?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Never had a real problem with any site game but this first helicopter boss made me rage quit. What the hell? :-D

I’m getting my ass kicked by the first boss. 10 attempts in and close to nailing him but yeah, I suck at this game so far 😂
I can now S rank the first mission in less than 10 minutes. Game is so fun at making you feel super powerful when you have a bit more practice. I was atrocious in my first hour or two.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Jesus christ dude its a video game not a physical sport.... Get Good, you should be appreciating the challenge as you get older.
Especially reaction time slows down as you get older.
AC6 is basically 90% about reaction time.
Reaction time is physical, since it depends on your brain & muscles.
What deteriorates with age? Brain & muscles.

Now, I don't think a person in their 40s couldn't do it, but late 50s and 60s is definitely an age where you can expect many people to not be able to play such a game anymore physically.

SCB3

I've been playing with a controller, but my batteries died tonight and I tried with M&K.

You can turn MUCH faster on Mouse which is a major advantage, if I didn't have bad carpel tunnel I'd play on Mouse and Keyboard myself

killatopak

Gold Member
Especially reaction time slows down as you get older.
AC6 is basically 90% about reaction time.
Reaction time is physical, since it depends on your brain & muscles.
What deteriorates with age? Brain & muscles.

Now, I don't think a person in their 40s couldn't do it, but late 50s and 60s is definitely an age where you can expect many people to not be able to play such a game anymore physically.
My guy, you’re playing a modern Fromsoft game. Expect a modicum of reaction time needed. Besides, once you get boss patterns down, it’s a matter of execution rather than reaction time.

Honestly, I feel AC is even more forgiving than Souls. Souls expect you to stick to a single build. AC gives the flexibility for build customization on the fly. I would go as far as to say that Souls is more reactionary than AC. AC rewards more critical thinking.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Besides, once you get boss patterns down, it’s a matter of execution rather than reaction time.
Doesn't matter, both relies on the same things that deteriorate with age.
You can't argue with simple physics and biology. People don't have much of a choice in this matter.
Of course you'll always find people even in higher ages (let's say 50-60+) who can play these games, but you'll find increasingly more who can't even if they used to be able to.

Honestly, I feel AC is even more forgiving than Souls. Souls expect you to stick to a single build. AC gives the flexibility for build customization on the fly.
I wouldn't say one is more forgiving than the other. One expects you to have some easier and some tougher fights based on your build, the other expects you to have a tough time with everything unless you adjust your build - and both of course become increasingly difficult independent of build as you go through the game.

I would go as far as to say that Souls is more reactionary than AC. AC rewards more critical thinking.
You probably mean reaction-based (reactionary is political in meaning).
I'd strongly disagree with that.
The speed you zoom around in AC by reacting to shots fired at you is probably 3-4x as much/fast as you do in ER (and ER is already the fastest of the Soulsgames combat-wise). If not more. You'll barely find even 10 seconds in AC6 when you are continuously not dodging/jumping/flying to evade attacks.
And you have a lot less time to react as attacks are telegraphed much less if they are telegraphed at all.
Meanwhile, you can play through Souls games fatrolling, or hell, not dodging at all.

Both are reaction-heavy games, but AC6 is just drastically faster in every way (you move faster, you attack faster, and both applies to enemies as well) = more demanding when it comes to reaction times.

In addition to that, builds in Souls games strike me as a lot more different from each other.
In ER (and I'd say in other Souls games, too, maybe except Bloodborne), you can be a fully ranged mage or archer, a fatrolling tank slow AF that uses a double shield, use summons to do big parts of the job, a melee dagger or fist build always glued to your enemy, etc.
In AC6, every build I've seen so far is zooming around like in the best of animes, no matter the "legs" used. They may differ in how much punishment they can take and how fast/flexible they are exactly, but I haven't seen a build yet that'd be drastically different from everything else.
I've mostly seen early-mid game played so far, though, so idk, maybe something totally different unlocks later in the game?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Doesn't matter, both relies on the same things that deteriorate with age.
You can't argue with simple physics and biology. People don't have much of a choice in this matter.
Of course you'll always find people even in higher ages (let's say 50-60+) who can play these games, but you'll find increasingly more who can't even if they used to be able to.
True but on the original post the person was asking if the game was appropriate for his age. That is something only he can answer for himself based on his experience with action games. That is why I said to go in with the assumption that you NEED a modest reaction time based on the catalogue of the devs. There are ways to mitigate that but that option only opens up after the first intro boss with customization.
I wouldn't say one is more forgiving than the other. One expects you to have some easier and some tougher fights based on your build, the other expects you to have a tough time with everything unless you adjust your build - and both of course become increasingly difficult independent of build as you go through the game.
Not exactly. It’s more like you have easy fights and tough fights on BOTH games based on your build. The only real difference is the on the fly customization. However, the way difficulty sways is more apparent on AC because the stat difference on parts is big. This is because there is no concept of leveling in AC. Also because of that, it can either be extremely hard or extremely easy which can make the whole game easy if you abuse it. I mean the same can be said for ER in particular because of summons but I find that feature to be frowned upon by hard core git gud audience which is weird.
You probably mean reaction-based (reactionary is political in meaning).
I'd strongly disagree with that.
The speed you zoom around in AC by reacting to shots fired at you is probably 3-4x as much/fast as you do in ER (and ER is already the fastest of the Soulsgames combat-wise). If not more. You'll barely find even 10 seconds in AC6 when you are continuously not dodging/jumping/flying to evade attacks.
And you have a lot less time to react as attacks are telegraphed much less if they are telegraphed at all.
Meanwhile, you can play through Soulsgames fatrolling, or hell, not dodging at all.

Both are reaction-heavy games, but AC6 is just drastically faster in every way (you move faster, you attack faster, and both applies to enemies as well) = more demanding when it comes to reaction times.

In addition to that, builds in Souls games strike me as a lot more different from each other.
In ER (and I'd say in other Soulsgames, too, maybe except Bloodborne), you can be a fully ranged mage or archer, a fatrolling tank slow AF that uses a double shield, a melee dagger or fist build always glued to your enemy, etc.
In AC6, every build I've seen so far is zooming around like in the best of animes, no matter the "legs" used. They may differ in how much punishment they can take and how fast/flexible they are exactly, but I haven't seen a build yet that'd be drastically different from everything else.
I've mostly seen early-mid game played so far, though, so idk, maybe something totally different unlocks later in the game?
Sorry, English isn’t my native language.

I dunno about requiring faster reaction times but I don’t agree with faster movement equals faster reaction times. I feel like because you are fast, it requires even less reaction time personally. My slow as molasses character in Elden Ring needed more reaction time from me because not only was I slow, the enemies are fast in comparison. I think people have a hard time dealing with AC because there are no iframes. Just stay out of range. It’s SO much easier because I’m faster. Not only that, most normal enemies just stand still or just walk even. Like how are you getting hit. Even then it’s not like they deal tons of damage. Most that do, missiles most likely, move slow and are very telegraphed.

But the same can be said for AC though? You can have tank builds in AC at the sacrifice of mobility. Literally even. You can even fine tune your build to be great for dealing with specific attack like energy, explosive or kinetic. Decrease the amount the stagger gauge fill ups and such. Literally like fat rolling. You can do this as early as chapter 1.

I can agree that builds in Elden Ring can feel more unique or numerous as I attribute that to the amount of special attacks that are possible in the game which you can completely make a build out of or even the consumable items that can be used as a weapon. In comparison we have like 5 special attacks in AC6? We’ll see, I‘ve yet to see the depths of AC6 as I’ve only just finished chapter 2. I feel like there more it with with all the load outs you can use like dual wielding and even the weapon bay OS upgrade.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The only big flaw of this game is that missions are usually a cakewalk and the only challenge are SOME bosses (many of them melt like butter).
Even the arena is piss easy 99% of times, just beated all the b grade first try. (And i'm not even using the tank legs double gatling build)

Now i understand why people said this was the easiest fromsoft game.

I know there is a new game plus mode but people should not be forced to replay a game to have a constant challenge.

The gameplay is too good to only have challenge every couple of hours.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Sorry, English isn’t my native language.
Same, I feel you.
How long I believed that priorization was a noun related to priorities...
It's a mess of a language, too, that doesn't help.

I dunno about requiring faster reaction times but I don’t agree with faster movement equals faster reaction times. I feel like because you are fast, it requires even less reaction time personally. My slow as molasses character in Elden Ring needed more reaction time from me because not only was I slow, the enemies are fast in comparison.
Well, in the end, it's maths.
1: The time from the attack about to hit you when you can dodge successfully vs the time before and after when it is too early/late. Due to no iframes and the longer durations during which attacks can hurt you (such as burst/volley attacks), this time span is radically smaller in AC than souls games (where such longer duration attacks are fairly rare).
2: The direction of the attacks. In Souls games, you'll usually have one enemy and its attacks on the screen - in some rare occasions you might actually have another thing from off-screen. In AC, being surrounded by either enemies or attacks or both seems to be the norm. That's why you have the hud showing incoming attack directions and sometimes you get these sound alerts to tell you "maybe dodge now". It is much harder to focus on multiple directions at once than one.
3: The frequency of the attacks. In Souls games, you'll generally face one attack from one enemy at a time. In some circumstances a few more. But in AC, you are basically being assaulted at all times from multiple attacks all coming in extremely close proximity to one another.

And that is only attacks, movement comes in addition. You move a lot more (as in, pushing the buttons) in a lot less time in AC. You also move a lot speed-wise, which means a lot more camera adjustments (= harder to focus). And in AC, you have an extra dimension to worry about - don't think I need to tell you how adding an extra dimension makes calculations more complicated, and that very much includes "calculations" happening in your head, even if it is instinctive to some.

All of that combined, I don't see any even theoretical possibility how that can be considered less reactions and longer reaction times for AC compared to Souls games.
It might be Souls games require more precision (eg you might need to stand in more precise locations at given times), but you'll basically always also have a lot more time to get that precision right and focus on only that attack.
Meanwhile, AC has advanced auto-aim and for good reason, because imagine you'd have to aim everything manually as well as doing everything else you already do at the same time :messenger_beaming:
Precision is not the same as reaction, though, so my point remains.

But the same can be said for AC though? You can have tank builds in AC at the sacrifice of mobility. Literally even.
That's not the same, though. A tank in ER can just facetank enemy attacks standing perfectly still and not care due to shields. It's why such a build is considered among the easiest - you can mostly just stand there and wait (it will totally suck against certain enemies, though). It plays entirely different than some other builds.
Armor isn't actually important (confusingly, a tank in Souls games doesn't have to wear armor): it can make you take somewhat less damage, but the total difference is maybe you can take 1 or 2 more hits than a character wearing rags. Except for DS2, armor is mostly just fashion in Souls games - that's one part where I think DS2 is just flatout better than the other games.

In AC, from what I've seen, you'll still be doing the same things no matter the build. Zooming around dodging, cause if you don't you will die.
Maybe you will die less fast and can take more hits, but does the gameplay change drastically? I doubt it.

I'd say the movement / HP / damage output sliders are a lot bigger in AC compared to Souls games so it allows greater flexibility within that kind of gameplay.
But I don't think you can get out of that gameplay as much as you can in Souls games.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I had to turn the camera sensitivity up to 10 on the last boss fight because it kept dashing behind me. I'm pretty good with controller aiming but I bet most people would find that easier with a mouse.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
my controller keeps cutting out when playing this. doesn't happen in any other game. had to learn the keyboard/mouse controls while fighting a boss lol. they are actually quite good so i think i'll stick with kb/m :)

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, got to talk about the end of chapter 3 because that was *fucking awesome*

the 4 AC's boosting across the snowy battlefield, the worm making it's appearance, breaking it's shield, ORC cannon an orange glow in the distance, all sound seeming to cut out when it fully charges, Rusty: "I won't miss" BOOOM the thunderous impact, worm reeling, squad unloading everything they've got, banter between the characters throughout the fight, everything was god-tier! Don't care about the "gimmick" aspect, that's now a FROM staple with each game having a boss with some gimmick, as long as it's well executed I'm all in, what a way to close the chapter!

Just blazed through the A ranks in Arena, playing around with some of the new toys that unlocked. Got to say, Songbirds have been a staple ever since I unlocked them and though I experimented a bit with the tank I went back to my tetrapod set-up, vastly prefer the mobility options and overall aesthetic. Napalm is underrated, can be used to devastating effect, Flamethrower found in a chest during the Honest Brute mission (such a cool level) has great utility too. Energy Lance that just became available in the shop is super dope 👌

SCB3

I'm not sure this is for me, at the Chapter 1 end boss now and I'm not enjoying the combat as much as I should and the fact I then have to replay a good chunk of the mission again to get here after buying some new weapons(as once again the fucking boss is immune from the front) and even as a Tank class I seem to die so quick, though I may reconsider going back to a quicker bipedal mech instead

I dunno I may revisit it later, its a great game I can see that but its on me completely

Last edited:

Arsic

Anyone saying this game is hard doesn’t realize there is pure broken builds for every boss to make them a joke. Plus you get the nicest checkpoints ever in a fromsoft game.

You get stuck at any point in the game try these guns:

Dual Curtis rifle
Dual Harris rifle
Dual Zimmerman shotty
Dual Gatling gun

Shoulders once you get the vertical plasma launcher use them, then later use dual laser drones, finally do the laser drones that shoot 6 out at once that spawn right on the enemy.

Generally will melt any opponent. Reactions ? Bruh I take most melee hits if they get close , and only dodge moves that give me the beep beep warning.

This game once you break it down is even easier than magic builds in souls games… like WAY easier.

The only bosses that are hard are chapter 1&2 final boss because you don’t have access to enough broken stuff.

killatopak

Gold Member
I just done fucked myself over.

I missed a battle log because I did a mission first before that one with 2 PCA at the end on the wall map. Couldn't do the battle log and the end fight cause I kept losing ammo mid fight. I thought I'll just do it later and did the big tank boss first. It skipped me to the next set of missions fml.

Dunno if there's a trophy for all battle log or if requires all of them to get all the reward parts but shit. Guess I'll just do it on NG+

It's times like these I wish modern Fromsoft has manual saving.

Last edited:

Arsic

I'm not sure this is for me, at the Chapter 1 end boss now and I'm not enjoying the combat as much as I should and the fact I then have to replay a good chunk of the mission again to get here after buying some new weapons(as once again the fucking boss is immune from the front) and even as a Tank class I seem to die so quick, though I may reconsider going back to a quicker bipedal mech instead

I dunno I may revisit it later, its a great game I can see that but its on me completely

??? Checkpoint system is incredible. When you die to a boss wait for the failure screen, then go to assembly button to tweak mech, then go right back in to fight him again. Can spam it quite easily.

If you’re stuck there’s YT videos out now of easy ways to tackle any boss without much thought.

Arsic

I missed a battle log because I did a mission first before that one with 2 PCA at the end on the wall map. Couldn't do the battle log and the end fight cause I kept losing ammo mid fight. I thought I'll just do it later and did the big tank boss first. It skipped me to the next set of missions fml.

Dunno if there's a trophy for all battle log or if requires all of them to get all the reward parts but shit. Guess I'll just do it on NG+

Go go sortie, go to replay mission.

John Bilbo

You can replay any mission in this game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This is one of the finest mech games I have ever played. Extra missions in NG+ and NG++ and so much weapons and combinations that are possible.

The sound design in particular is exceptional.

Arsic

That's the thing. I haven't finished the mission so I can't really replay it.

Was it a choice mission ? Had almost like a cord icon in the lower right ? There are certain missions in game where you have option A or B. Once you do that you can’t do the other one until new game plus.

aoDUikK.jpg

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Was it a choice mission ? Had almost like a cord icon in the lower right ? There are certain missions in game where you have option A or B. Once you do that you can’t do the other one until new game plus.
There's something like that? That's cool.

Well I don't know if it did. I usually don't read the mission description because the briefing usually covers it. The only notice that is apparent to me is the chapter ending mission because it's in bright red font.

If it is a choice mission then that makes feel a lot better.

Arsic

There's something like that? That's cool.

Well I don't know if it did. I usually don't read the mission description because the briefing usually covers it. The only notice that is apparent to me is the chapter ending mission because it's in bright red font.

If it is a choice mission then that makes feel a lot better.

Yep there are a couple choice missions throughout the story. Just look for that icon I posted into the photo above.

Later in new game plus you’ll get decisions within the actual mission itself that changes it.

SCB3

??? Checkpoint system is incredible. When you die to a boss wait for the failure screen, then go to assembly button to tweak mech, then go right back in to fight him again. Can spam it quite easily.

If you’re stuck there’s YT videos out now of easy ways to tackle any boss without much thought.
Not if you need the store at all

Arsic

Not if you need the store at all
This is true.

My best tip is to farm fast money do the kill the rookie AC mission fast. He’s $80,000 and it takes less than a minute to do.

Spam that a few times, buy all of what you want, and you’re set for the whole chapter.

First chapter one boss I forget what you have access to, but dual Curtis rifle spam should help, and shoulder missiles to spam.

Otherwise quick check YT if you’re banging your head against a wall on him too hard.

Naked Lunch

Goddamn this game is fun.

If its a success for them I pray to the gaming gods they expand on the series with some coop focused gameplay.

Running 3-4 custom mechs with the boys on a big map fighting rival ACs or some giant strider sized mech would be an absolute boner maker.

Man some parts of this game just scream for coop opportunities.
They already made that game: Armored Core Verdict Day.
Pretty much no one bought it and most of the fanbase hated it because of the forced co-op. It was a cool game though imo.
If you want a more "arcade-like" Mecha game, you can try Zone of the enders 2 which, to me, is still the best Mecha game out there - you do lose on the pseudo-sim building aspect of the AC games but you gain on the action bit (plays like any normal action game basically).
Solid recommendation - personally, ide go with Virtual On Oratorio Tangram for best mech game, especially arcadey.

Also would throw the Front Mission series in the mech game recommendation pool. From what I understand the original Armored Cores were created as a sort of homage to the Front Mission series.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone playing this on pc and also constantly running into an audio bug where after a load the game is super muffled?

I need to alt-tab like 15 times for the audio to come back. Happens at least once every time I play.

Super bizarre.

killatopak

Gold Member

41.6% wow (that's balteus)

Balteus is fine once you know how to dodge things but Sea Spider. That thing took me a while. Like more than a dozen of tries. Ibis too.

Currently stuck on a mission defending a building. Like do I realy have to memorize spawn times here? This is hard.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Done. Finished.
Difficulty was fine after chapter 2.
I never died in the arena and only couple of times in next chapters bosses.
My strength build was crazy effective.
I did had to sweat a bit but this is the build I found and game allowed me to do it.

Man. What a game. Great spectacle, terrible story and storytelling. I don’t understand anything as usual. But I felt attachment to some characters. Rusty my best guy. We need a sequel to learn how he ended up!

Edit: according to trophy list, only 6,7% of people finished the game so far… or at least this ending

Last edited:
Top Bottom