• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

John Bilbo

Thanks bro but i dont know how 😂
Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Dude... I think you just made Yoda sad.

He told me for him to become happy again he has to know Fabieter can beat Balteus in Armored Core VI.

Needlecrash

Seeing several reviews stating 10-15 hours for story mission, with anything more coming from re-plays and MP. Truth to this?
I'm calling bullshit on this too. I'm still on Chapter 1, doing some replays for money and getting higher ranks for missions. I can't break an S rank, but I'm getting A/B ranks.

Needlecrash

A heads up for some people:

Absolutely do the training missions. Not because you'll learn anything you haven't figured out already, but because it unlocks some really good weapons and parts.
THIS. I was just about to type this too. Doing the Tutorial missions nets you free shit. And who thought reverse jointed legs would be so useful!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Goddamn this game is fun.

If its a success for them I pray to the gaming gods they expand on the series with some coop focused gameplay.

Running 3-4 custom mechs with the boys on a big map fighting rival ACs or some giant strider sized mech would be an absolute boner maker.

Man some parts of this game just scream for coop opportunities.

What do you think is the OP build?
Not sure. Heavier build with dual wield gatling guns is really good, then pair with a high damage explosive shoulder mounter weapon, like a grenade launcher, I paired the songbird with the missile launcher that fires 10 homing missiles (fire the missiles and as AI was dodging, catch dodge with songbird grenades). Worked for most the game, and destroyed the Arena. The stun needle launcher is also really good, I swapped the missile launcher for it during final boss and ice worm. Also made a meme build just dual wielding the stun needle and dual wielding bazookas, it was surprisingly effective.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That chapter 4 final boss is why the camera sensitivity can go up to 10…

My head turned into meat spin dot com to keep up.

Arguably the most satisfying boss to overcome.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Is this something that a person in their late 40’s (diminished reflexes) can play or should I just go buy a pack of werther’s originals instead?
I'm in the same age range and I gotta be honest, it's not for me. I think this game has finally made it sink in that the FromSoftware games just aren't up my alley. I guess nowadays I'm just a tad too slow and impatient. Never could get into Sekiro, Elden Ring, Dark Souls and now this. I recognize the quality of the games as I try them, but just not clicking. That's alright, I'll admire the people that can get through them and probably check out some YT content, but there's plenty of other things for me to play rather than beat my head against this wall!

Shouta

I made the mistake of not dual wielding. 🙄 thought I’d keep the saber for as long as possible.
Melee weapons are pretty great if you're gutsy and confident enough to get in and use it. Dual wielding is usually a lot safer though, lol

Is this something that a person in their late 40’s (diminished reflexes) can play or should I just go buy a pack of werther’s originals instead?

At least in the first two chapters, reflexes aren't as important as knowing the patterns and executing the movement and plans you got. You will get hit by small fire in the game so it's just a matter of not getting tagged by big stuff. The game gives you enough time to dodge those. If there's any one thing that is very different for folks that are coming from Souls games but never played a mech one before, it's dodging last second is straight up the worst idea, lol. Always change your evasive patterns to match the type of weapons coming at you. That's something you don't need the lightning reflexes of a teen for.

Pimpbaa

I'm in the same age range and I gotta be honest, it's not for me. I think this game has finally made it sink in that the FromSoftware games just aren't up my alley. I guess nowadays I'm just a tad too slow and impatient. Never could get into Sekiro, Elden Ring, Dark Souls and now this. I recognize the quality of the games as I try them, but just not clicking. That's alright, I'll admire the people that can get through them and probably check out some YT content, but there's plenty of other things for me to play rather than beat my head against this wall!

I can handle Dark Souls, Elden Ring, and even Bloodborne. But Sekiro was just too fast for me. The multiple way to avoid attacks and how little time you had to process what to do. I found Wo Long too hard too (even tho I was OK at Nioh 1 and 2).

Arsic

I’m 35 and reflexes don’t feel necessary, but I will say my hands felt wrecked playing this because the build I use has two rifles that are single shot so I constantly am hammering the triggers in boss fights. Wrists feel awful after a long boss session.

The majority of the game though has been just changing your AC loadout after a couple failed attempts to fine tune more what works. If you’re truly stuck there’s limitless guides now to just copy/paste a build to easily destroy bosses.

Pimpbaa

I’m 35 and reflexes don’t feel necessary, but I will say my hands felt wrecked playing this because the build I use has two rifles that are single shot so I constantly am hammering the triggers in boss fights. Wrists feel awful after a long boss session.

The majority of the game though has been just changing your AC loadout after a couple failed attempts to fine tune more what works. If you’re truly stuck there’s limitless guides now to just copy/paste a build to easily destroy bosses.

Sounds doable for me, although now I’m worried it will make the arthritis in my hands to flare up if I play this lol

Arsic

Sounds doable for me, although now I’m worried it will make the arthritis in my hands to flare up if I play this lol
Did for me but I’m sure there’s builds without needing spam of single rifles.

Also game has a double beep noise before an enemy fires something at you to give you an easy audio cue to know when to dodge.

Typical souls fashion is you will lose to certain bosses until you learn patterns and make adjustments. Luckily here it seems you can often just put together some broken shit and not learn any mechanics lol.

Early game dual Curtis rifle is your friend.

Makariel

I'm an old man and am playing just a mission at a time, many don't take much longer than maybe 10-20 minutes? Perhaps a bit longer if you take your time and scan everything. And there's a lot you can do to adjust the AC to your playstyle, including saying "fuck legs, I'm a tank", which gives you great survivability. Since I found out you can change your weapon loadouts during missions, I'm not as worried anymore about taking the wrong gun to the bazookafight. So far I find it less reliant on reflexes as Sekiro was, in which you simply couldn't make a tank build or take it slow.

draliko

if there's broken builds this game gonna sucks me in soon. One of the greatest thing in from games is managing to get overpowered and annihilate the boss that gave you so many headhaches

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
pHCNeUx.jpg

Going back once you know the controls and mechanics is so nice just wrecking opponents and dodging their incoming missiles, gameplay feels fantastic.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Personally i think Sekiro would've been much better if they either put more thought into or scrapped stealth entirely, as well as got rid of those kanji attacks or at least reworked them to make them behave more like actual attacks and less like quick time events.

Sekiro just need more armour\weapon variety so you can also have actual rewards for exploration that gets you excited, the arms were hightly situational and i didn't used most of them at all.

The stealth was a recall to tenchu, just a way to cheese some bosses and enemies for the less skilled.

But yeah i prefer ac6 to sekiro, i'm just way more of a tps guy than a parry guy, but i prefer the open world structure of sekiro more, single mission structure and scores at the end is not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Brah, I'm a normie, not Rain Man. We're talking about an experience that most regular people without autism will have.

Those are completely different games, though. Beating an entire Souls game with one build was not only possible but very manageable. Good luck taking on certain enemies that don't have a weakness against particular type of weapon that you're currently wielding in AC. Sure, I guess it would be possible, but you'd have to be some gaming savant to try and kill a small and nimble, long range enemy armed only with a pulse gun before your ammo runs out.

Also, melee builds aren't as crazy as it sounds. Melee attacks actually happen to be one of the most powerful ones in the game. I actually managed to beat one of the mini-bosses fairly easily because my ammo ran out during the mission and I had to fist his ass. It turned out to be way more effective, lol.
Lol it must be extremely traumatic to enter a menu to change a weapon...

Maybe don't resell everything so you can actually do major changes while still being in the mission if a boss kills you, you can easily farm money to buy every part so it's a non-problem to stay in a mission and still change your build, if you have to close the mission then you are doing it wrong.

This is a better mechanic than making super hard bullshit bosses that you have no answer for no matter how much you change your equipment.
Figuring out the best build is part of the fun imo.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
lol I love that you can fisticuff your way through the game. This is like the Armored Core equivalent of naked runs in Souls games.
Not exactly because melee is pretty devastating in this game.

You wanna be really hardcore then go with a dual-wielded pulse gun and heavy armor build. Good luck with that, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Lol it must be extremely traumatic to enter a menu to change a weapon...

Maybe don't resell everything so you can actually do major changes while still being in the mission if a boss kills you, you can easily farm money to buy every part so it's a non-problem to stay in a mission and still change your build, if you have to close the mission then you are doing it wrong.

This is a better mechanic than making super hard bullshit bosses that you have no answer for no matter how much you change your equipment.
Figuring out the best build is part of the fun imo.
Yes, as a matter of fact, it's a pain in the fucking ass. Cope.

Also, I didn't have to farm because I'm not a noob like you and can actually afford things. I just don't go around buying out entire store inventory because some genius designer didn't think to put the store in the checkpoint menu where it's needed the most.

NG+ melee unlocks man, so good. Finallly the twinblade! Doing much better against minibosses with agile builds. Shame there is one OP setup in game that just melts everything and kills a lot of the motivation to experiment when getting stuck, being dual gatling + dual needle. I’m sure we’ll see nerfs in the patch notes
Yeah I keep using the meme tank build when I get stuck and then I feel dirty afterwards. Deffo gonna be more disciplined with using lighter builds in future playthroughs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Btw, i think i'm in the middle of chapt 3.

Double shoulder granade launcher with a nice name (bird something) are absolutely devastating, and then tetrapod to troll enemies from the sky, heavy armour and double laser sniper or double curtis, single shot rifles feel like they have the meatiest impacts.

Double gatling seems kinda broken, lucky for me i don't like gatling weapons that much.

The pile driver was a letdown, big damage but slow as hell and with bad reach, it just deosn't feel as good to use as the swords.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, as a matter of fact, it's a pain in the fucking ass. Cope.

Also, I didn't have to farm because I'm not a noob like you and can actually afford things. I just don't go around buying out entire store inventory because some genius designer didn't think to put the store in the checkpoint menu where it's needed the most.
I never farmed in this game (and i can actually prove it), i just said that you can do it since you sound so mad at the game because you have to close a mission to change build, even if you don't farm you have enough money for 3-4 pieces per part type unless you are terrible at the game or if you are an idiot that buy random stuff without a reason, 4 options per body part should be enough to try different strategies, and that is the bare minimum of options.

What the fuck is the difference between opening a menu when you die or opening a menu to change weapon before fighing a boss like you do in other games, you still have to open a menu to change equipment before another try.

I don't need to cope for something so retarded like not understanding how the game work and just calling it bad mechanic because you are a lazy fuck.

Last edited:

SCB3

This Chapter 1 boss (Jugganaught) fucking sucks for a beginner, front facing shield so you can only damage from the back, super fast and a pain in the ass to hit and also likes to spam mines and tracking missiles constantly, whats worse if you need to go back to the garage for a better weapon (assuming you don't already have one) you have to replay the first part of the mission again

GymWolf

Gold Member
This Chapter 1 boss (Jugganaught) fucking sucks for a beginner, front facing shield so you can only damage from the back, super fast and a pain in the ass to hit and also likes to spam mines and tracking missiles constantly, whats worse if you need to go back to the garage for a better weapon (assuming you don't already have one) you have to replay the first part of the mission again
If you can't just time the jump and hovering when he charge at you, just buy the tetrapod legs so you can stay in the air and manouvre around him with ease.

I didn't tried the tetrapod legs on him but by logic it should be the best build to beat him.

Or just buy super fast legs with that long evasion so you can reposition behind him easily (or the one the let you jump super high)

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Bro just jump and hover on him. He doesn’t have a shield on his head.

I’ve seen a lot of people play this like Elden Ring and forget this actually has 3D movement and not just on the ground.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I never farmed in this game (and i can actually prove it), i just said that you can do it since you sound so mad at the game because you have to close a mission to change build, even if you don't farm you have enough money for 3-4 pieces per part type unless you are terrible at the game or if you are an idiot that buy random stuff without a reason, 4 options per body part should be enough to try different strategies, and that is the bare minimum of options.

What the fuck is the difference between opening a menu when you die or opening a menu to change weapon before fighing a boss like you do in other games, you still have to open a menu to change equipment before another try.

I don't need to cope for something so retarded like not understanding how the game work and just calling it bad mechanic because you are a lazy fuck.
Try not to pop a vein because someone said something bad about a video game.

SCB3

Bro just jump and hover on him. He doesn’t have a shield on his head.

I’ve seen a lot of people play this like Elden Ring and forget this actually has 3D movement and not just on the ground.
Everytime I tried that it damaged me

SJRB

Gold Member
I wish the game was juuuust a bit more stylized than it currently is. Just a smudge.

Look at the sick lens flare effects from the reveal trailer, for example. I wish we got more visual effects like that in the game.

Not enjoying this game at all, have that horrible I’ve just wasted my money feeling. Gameplay grievances aside, it also just feels too expensive for what it is, there is no way the budget of this game is even near Elden ring but yet the same RRP. Not even any faces or character models, just basic missions and audio clips so far.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Not enjoying this game at all, have that horrible I’ve just wasted my money feeling. Gameplay grievances aside, it also just feels too expensive for what it is, there is no way the budget of this game is even near Elden ring but yet the same RRP. Not even any faces or character models, just basic missions and audio clips so far.
I feel the same, after everything I've seen so far.
Might just have been smarter and not bought it to begin with ;)

It seems to be your mech going zoom-zoom in simple, short levels until you encounter some boss and then you'll bite your teeth out on that boss until you git gud.
Seems to be a very PS2-era style console game, albeit on a very high level of quality.
Great if that throwback is what you want, but to me it just seems too simplistic and twitch action heavy to enjoy.
The writing and dialogues are also awkward AF - on purpose, so not a criticism, but that, too, is not for me.

I'm more into MechWarrior or BattleTech when it comes to mechs, that really heavy feeling, the importance of management and tonnage, etc.
Personally, I'm not weeb enough to have any strong feelings about the Gundam style of hyper-mobile zooming around with laser swords or whatever.

Last edited:
I feel the same, after everything I've seen so far.
Might just have been smarter and not bought it to begin with ;)

It seems to be your mech going zoom-zoom in simple, short levels until you encounter some boss and then you'll bite your teeth out on that boss until you git gud.
Seems to be a very PS2-era style console game, albeit on a very high level of quality.
Great if that throwback is what you want, but to me it just seems too simplistic and twitch action heavy to enjoy.
The writing and dialogues are also awkward AF - on purpose, so not a criticism, but that, too, is not for me.

I'm more into MechWarrior or BattleTech when it comes to mechs, that really heavy feeling, the importance of management and tonnage, etc.
Personally, I'm not weeb enough to have any strong feelings about the Gundam style of hyper-mobile zooming around with laser swords or whatever.
Any games you recommended?

Top Bottom