• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i guess i got to the first major boss? the big walking thing that fires blue lasers. i killed generators and got to the big shooty eye and had it down to about 1/4 health and i died.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Holy shit I just realised I could make Optimus Prime (Kinda)

fnD0e79.png

Sidenote, I kinda get a weird Death Stranding vibe with this game and I'm not sure why

It's the bleakness/solitude feel of it all 😉
To get S rank but more importantly combat logs which reward you per milestone.

There's also mech parts hidden in stages where you can use the scan function to find. Optimize it by using an AC that is fast and has large scan range.
My turn for a stupid question: do these appear on the 1st run of a mission or only during a replay ?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Nope. They are always available. None are missable.
Thanks man, appreciate it 😉

Also : Regarding the repainting of a mech, can I copy - say - the color scheme of the left arm and paste it/apply it to the right one (or any other.part of the mech) or do I have to remember the exact color code and apply it manually ?
I saw that there's a "copy" function but I can't see to apply it to other parts.

PS : any good Gundam color schemes out there ? I'm too lazy to do it.myself 😁

killatopak

Gold Member
Thanks man, appreciate it 😉

Also : Regarding the repainting of a mech, can I copy - say - the color scheme of the left arm and paste it/apply it to the right one (or any other.part of the mech) or do I have to remember the exact color code and apply it manually ?
I saw that there's a "copy" function but I can't see to apply it to other parts.

PS : any good Gundam color schemes out there ? I'm too lazy to do it.myself 😁
You can. Just make a color scheme for one part then use a copy and save function in the user presets. You can then apply it in one setting per part or the whole mech.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did around 25 missions (was neither challenging nor fun) and started feeling genuine anxiety over how boring the game was. In the middle of an action sequence I was literally starting to think ’holy fuck what am I even doing’.

Twice in a row, has From fucked me in the ass. Both Elden Ring and AC6 bored the living shit out of me. At least now I know for certain I won’t be touching their shitty games for a long time.

And as per standard, I will post my highly accurate review-list of From games that I've played:

Demon's: 10
DkS1: 5
DkS2: 7
DkS3: 9
BB: 9
Sekiro: 8
Elden Ring: 4
AC6: 2

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Did around 25 missions (was neither challenging nor fun) and started feeling genuine anxiety over how boring the game was. In the middle of an action sequence I was literally starting to think ’holy fuck what am I even doing’.

Twice in a row, has From fucked me in the ass. Both Elden Ring and AC6 bored the living shit out of me. At least now I know for certain I won’t be touching their shitty games for a long time.

And as per standard, I will post my highly accurate review-list of From games that I've played:

nonsense-transformers.gif

Elden Ring > Armored Core 6 >>> Sekiro

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Do I have this right?

65% of your time is spent getting crushed by bosses.
30% of your time is spent in garage looking at different build ideas.
5% of your time is spent cakewalking (is that a word?) through boring story missions against laughably underpowered AI.

Is that ACVI?

Where's Chromehounds?! Where is it?!

Drizzlehell

Banned
I kinda hate this game. It's simultaneously one of the most fun mecha games I ever played, and one of the most annoying ones.

And the annoyance doesn't really stem from the difficulty, because I can handle that. It's more about how every time you hit a brick wall with a difficult boss or whatever, then all you gotta do is to figure out which weapons or AC build you're supposed to be using during any given fight. And once you figure that out, every boss fight becomes trivial.

This is such a bad game design, and it breaks the flow of the game for me, especially when you have to quit out on a mission and lose progress because otherwise you can't access the parts shop and try out different AC builds. And this begs the question - WHY? Why can I swap out any owned part before I restart a checkpoint but in order to buy a new one I have to go back to the main menu? If you're letting me swap out parts on the fly then at that point what difference does it make if I'll have access to the store or not? Who the hell came up with shit?

Anyway, I played it for about 8 hours and I think I'm done. I don't have the patience for this bullshit. Which is a pity because I really enjoy the atmosphere, the setting, the visuals, and action is really tight and fun as long as you're allowed to experiment with AC builds to fit your own play style and aren't being forced to bullshit around with it every time you stumble upon a boss fight.

Guilty_AI

Do I have this right?

5% of your time is spent cakewalking (is that a word?) through boring story missions against laughably underpowered AI.

Is that ACVI?

It has PvP so it should automatically count as a good game for you

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do I have this right?

Is that ACVI?

lxMGMfY.png

Also, From:

Please don't forget to donate to our next cause in 2025!

T4keD0wN

Do I have this right?

Is that ACVI?
20% of my time was spent on the phone while waiting for the
worm boss to re-emerge

Last edited:
I kinda hate this game. It's simultaneously one of the most fun mecha games I ever played, and one of the most annoying ones.

And the annoyance doesn't really stem from the difficulty, because I can handle that. It's more about how every time you hit a brick wall with a difficult boss or whatever, then all you gotta do is to figure out which weapons or AC build you're supposed to be using during any given fight. And once you figure that out, every boss fight becomes trivial.

This is such a bad game design, and it breaks the flow of the game for me, especially when you have to quit out on a mission and lose progress because otherwise you can't access the parts shop and try out different AC builds. And this begs the question - WHY? Why can I swap out any owned part before I restart a checkpoint but in order to buy a new one I have to go back to the main menu? If you're letting me swap out parts on the fly then at that point what difference does it make if I'll have access to the store or not? Who the hell came up with shit?

Anyway, I played it for about 8 hours and I think I'm done. I don't have the patience for this bullshit. Which is a pity because I really enjoy the atmosphere, the setting, the visuals, and action is really tight and fun as long as you're allowed to experiment with AC builds to fit your own play style and aren't being forced to bullshit around with it every time you stumble upon a boss fight.

Not played this, but I guess am gonna enjoy the game for this reason. 😂

I quiet liked brick wall bosses in SMT 4 where you had to go back to reforming your party from scratch, for each boss.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

You know what brother ? I get you...
Also, that list is not bad nor wrong, I mean, I enjoyed the souls series but...DS1 I still find it incredibly overhyped , I hated most of the areas in that game and while people mock DS3 by saying that it's just a "DS greatest hits" or that it was "soulless" I found it to be the best one of the 3, something about it resonated with me better than the previous 2.
Bloodborne and Sekiro are the real FROM masterpieces due to their more focused gameplay AND aesthetics.
Regarding AC6 now, I'm only 1+ hour in so I can't judge it yet.
Elden Ring was one of the most - if.not the most - overhyped pieces of media of the last 5 years, it's literally a fucking DS game but - wait for it - open world featuring a horse, plus, that asset re-use was just fucking unbelievable, animations, sounds, textures, copy-pasted dungeons, everything really, and yet it was heralded as the savior of gaming for some reason, un-fucking-believable...I was just going through the motions after the 25 hour mark and I hate -finished it just to have my money's worth...

I really, really do get it though, sometimes the whole thing with FROM games can get exhausting , be it their difficulty, their complexity when it comes to proper builds/lvl'ing up/how to defeat a specific enemy/boss that...you really have to be in "the proper mood®" as to be able to enjoy them, shit, I still remember Isshin the sword saint in Sekiro, I just wanted to have fun during the few free hours that I have on the weekend but nope, I just kept losing and losing and losing for 2-3 hours straight, in the end I thought "nobody's paying me for this shit" and I just rage-quit for...3 weeks straight, that part made me lose all the interest I had in the game up that point.
Finally managed to beat him by cheesing him after that and that was that - until I did my 2nd and 3rd playthroughs and reached the chick + isshin combo bosses and super-charged owl respectively where I rage-quit both times, again 😁

Last night I started AC6 and after 1+ hours, I got so overwhelmed that I said "nope" and got back at playing Days Gone where I could actually have a chill session before going to bed.

Just take a break friend and get back to it later !

Cheers

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

A perfect post.

I haven't seen a single review that made your astute observation here. Bad strategy games are just rigid puzzle games in disguise. ACVI is rigid AF.

Well said Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Juggernaut done. I think I found a cheese?
Good booster, fly above him, charge linear rifle, shoot rifle from above him, circumventing his armor, bosoters charge because you stop in the air when shooting linear rifle, repeat+sword
He was super easy for me. Just get him in a corner and ride his back .. a few blade hits and he is down. The corner is the key as he can’t easily boost away.

Keihart

I mean, if you really have no problem with it and enjoy a good challenge, you can definetly push trhough with unortodox builds, may i redirect you to evidence A and B in my only melee first time playthrough?
It's the same argument with this kind of action RPG like in Elden Ring tho, you can make the game as easy or as hard as you want depending on how you build your character, i think there is some special type of fun to be found in that kind of combat that allows such a wide variety of play styles without becoming impossibly difficult.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Pls don't tell me one of these two tweets was made by you :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

F4fbojHWYAA2m6q

F4fbojFWUAAhqHx

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Did at least play with manual aim? If not, try again.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Too bad you didn’t enjoy it. I’m having a blast personally. It’s a very PS1 game in approach of here’s a level, and get through it. Repeat it to see if you can do S rank on it to become very good at it.

I appreciate it respecting my time to be able to sit down for 20 minutes and get something meaningful completed.

I find the gameplay to be very fun, and super intuitive. Bosses offer a fair amount of challenge but nothing overwhelming yet in the first 3 chapters so far.

It harkens me back to the days of going to blockbuster and having a game I could knock out in a weekend.

Just a fun bite sized game.

YukiOnna

I guess Armored Core VI already broke some people already. for me this game is up there with Sekiro as one of favourite FROM game.
Likewise, and I'm far from done. Elden Ring burnt me out along the way and I had some problems with the last quarter, but this fills the hole that was left by Sekiro ending in gameplay and the story and world are worth continuing for (although we'll see if it comes close to Wolf's journey there).

Last edited:

Montauk

Likewise, and I'm far from done. Elden Ring burnt me out along the way and I had some problems with the last quarter, but this fills the hole that was left by Sekiro ending in gameplay and the story and world are worth continuing for (although we'll see if it comes close to Wolf's journey there).

I can’t wait to get my hole filled by the girth of this game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nah, Sekiro has a couple of dumb design decisions that really drop the quality of the experience. AC6 is tight and consistent all around, probably even more than other souls games that had some annoying gameplay jank from time to time.
Agree to disagree, I personally loved both AC6 and Sekiro equally.....Masaru Yamamura sure knows how design fun combat.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
game runs great on my pc
playing with gamepad and controls are smooth
art style reminds me of mgs1 , did yoji shinkawa work on this?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Agree to disagree, I personally loved both AC6 and Sekiro equally.....Masaru Yamamura sure knows how design fun combat.
Personally i think Sekiro would've been much better if they either put more thought into or scrapped stealth entirely, as well as got rid of those kanji attacks or at least reworked them to make them behave more like actual attacks and less like quick time events.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Brah, I'm a normie, not Rain Man. We're talking about an experience that most regular people without autism will have.

I mean, if you really have no problem with it and enjoy a good challenge, you can definetly push trhough with unortodox builds, may i redirect you to evidence A and B in my only melee first time playthrough?
It's the same argument with this kind of action RPG like in Elden Ring tho, you can make the game as easy or as hard as you want depending on how you build your character, i think there is some special type of fun to be found in that kind of combat that allows such a wide variety of play styles without becoming impossibly difficult.
Those are completely different games, though. Beating an entire Souls game with one build was not only possible but very manageable. Good luck taking on certain enemies that don't have a weakness against particular type of weapon that you're currently wielding in AC. Sure, I guess it would be possible, but you'd have to be some gaming savant to try and kill a small and nimble, long range enemy armed only with a pulse gun before your ammo runs out.

Also, melee builds aren't as crazy as it sounds. Melee attacks actually happen to be one of the most powerful ones in the game. I actually managed to beat one of the mini-bosses fairly easily because my ammo ran out during the mission and I had to fist his ass. It turned out to be way more effective, lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
angry rant incoming

Fuck this game. Unbalanced piece of crap excused for "game design". I am tired of these games for streamers.
It's not hard. It's just badly balanced bs. Sure, let's give this crazy boss a shield and almost impossible rockets to avoid. And that's only first phase...
Seriously. I had the same problem with Sekiro and Elden Ring.
With Sekiro, it was all smooth sailing until the very last boss... which was terribly designed with many phases just to infuriate you. BUT OK - IT WAS THE LAST BOSS.
In Elden Ring, it was all nice and somewhat manageable (maybe outside of crucible knights but ok) but then after mountaintops of the giants, the game suddenly got so stupidly hard with bosses. Malekith, godskin duo, last boss with again bullshit phases. But again - it was the endgame. (nothing excuses multiple phases last boss fight though)
Sekiro had fun gameplay, very manageable but only bosses were hardcore ramp ups. But when I "understood" how to defeat guardian ape, the whole game clicked for me... aside from last boss. fuuuuck him.

Here in ac6, the game is manageable, maybe even easy but then bosses happen. And I am talking about Balteus here. He even has miniboss before him so if you want to get new parts, you must get by him too.
His first phase is doble but by the time 2nd phase hits, I am low on heals and it's so fkn crazy and stupid, I seriously don't care to play this anymore right now...
These bosses are twitch spectacles. Something to watch streamers fight... I play my whole life and this is bs.

Again, how is it "amazing, tight design" ? Excuse me?
You play normal/easy missions and then out of nowhere you fight crazy boss, harder than anything in any other game probably. Nothing prepared you for this and nothing will. You can't go anywhere else and return.
Is it really a good design if I have to totally change my build to beat the boss?
70$ spent. stuck on chapter1....
I am sure I will beat him later today or tomorrow. But this is not fun. There is nothing fun about repeating a boss fight over and over. And you want new gun? You must quit the chapter, farm old missions, buy new gun and then play balteus mission again, defeat salami or whatever and then face the boss again. great design...

edit: That said - the game looks and feels great. The music is amazing in contact mission. Just spectacular... only it's infuriating

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
angry rant incoming

Fuck this game. Unbalanced piece of crap excused for "game design". I am tired of these games for streamers.
It's not hard. It's just badly balanced bs. Sure, let's give this crazy boss a shield and almost impossible rockets to avoid. And that's only first phase...
Seriously. I had the same problem with Sekiro and Elden Ring.
With Sekiro, it was all smooth sailing until the very last boss... which was terribly designed with many phases just to infuriate you. BUT OK - IT WAS THE LAST BOSS.
In Elden Ring, it was all nice and somewhat manageable (maybe outside of crucible knights but ok) but then after mountaintops of the giants, the game suddenly got so stupidly hard with bosses. Malekith, godskin duo, last boss with again bullshit phases. But again - it was the endgame. (nothing excuses multiple phases last boss fight though)
Sekiro had fun gameplay, very manageable but only bosses were hardcore ramp ups. But when I "understood" how to defeat guardian ape, the whole game clicked for me... aside from last boss. fuuuuck him.

Here in ac6, the game is manageable, maybe even easy but then bosses happen. And I am talking about Balteus here. He even has miniboss before him so if you want to get new parts, you must get by him too.
His first phase is doble but by the time 2nd phase hits, I am low on heals and it's so fkn crazy and stupid, I seriously don't care to play this anymore right now...
These bosses are twitch spectacles. Something to watch streamers fight... I play my whole life and this is bs.

Again, how is it "amazing, tight design" ? Excuse me?
You play normal/easy missions and then out of nowhere you fight crazy boss, harder than anything in any other game probably. Nothing prepared you for this and nothing will. You can't go anywhere else and return.
Is it really a good design if I have to totally change my build to beat the boss?
70$ spent. stuck on chapter1....
I am sure I will beat him later today or tomorrow. But this is not fun. There is nothing fun about repeating a boss fight over and over. And you want new gun? You must quit the chapter, farm old missions, buy new gun and then play balteus mission again, defeat salami or whatever and then face the boss again. great design...

edit: That said - the game looks and feels great. The music is amazing in contact mission. Just spectacular... only it's infuriating
The mini-boss dude is vulnerable to close range shotgun and small-arms fire. Balteus is much easier if you go against him with a laser sword and bazooka, and maybe some shoulder rockets for good measure. He will take massive damage to his shields and armor from the sword alone, and heavy ordnance will provide additional firepower when the sword is cooling down.

Boosting your health with heavier armour so that you could tank damage is also a good idea but it's still doable if you use something else.

If this boss is giving you a hard time then wait until you get to Sea Spider...

GUESS YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THE INSTITUTE...

crazy-jim-carrey.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom