• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

For their sake I hope they are working in a sizeable campaign with lore and gives you a reason to give a fuck about the characters

I just wish interactions like these were actually in the game in some way:

UkmAEfG.gif

gIUlQTq.gif

For their sake I hope they are working in a sizeable campaign with lore and gives you a reason to give a fuck about the characters

Lol I think they are working on new characters, stages, ARMS, and modes.

Although who knows they may add some lore. There was one interview that talked about this if I am not mistaken.

Seeing the developer play with motion controls with ease at the tournament says otherwise.

Agree to disagree, as I feel stuck and stiff while playing with non motion controls. I feel much more free and comfortable with motion. Also, motion is what's so great about this game, and what makes it the surprise of the year. Anyone is able to pick up and play the game and not be at a large disadvantage. The immediacy of the meta really works in favor of the motion controls, where once you know the basics, you can focus on the things that matter.

Motion controls give you more flexibility over your punching, specifically when it comes to launching two at once. Requires an adjustment in tactics, certainly, and I personally get on better with buttons and sticks, but that's mainly down to my playstyle. I've watched a few top players who use motion (including a couple of Rank 15s) and evidently they don't find it a hindrance at all.

I don't know if we are playing the same game LOL. With motion controls even beating level 1 Grand Prix felt random and somewhat difficult specifically because of lag/delay of punches/moves. With regular controls level 7 GP is kind of easy. Also I'm pretty sure I can tell who is playing with motion controls (the actually manage to do a lot of blocking because on regular controller that's difficult to do) and beating those people is piece of cake.

And the fact that developer can play with motion controls doesn't really tell me anything. My issue with motion controls is that they make this game even more difficult to master and it's already a tough game to learn.

I don't know if we are playing the same game LOL.

I often feel that way when people have issues with the motion controls to be honest. I don't find blocking or moving or much of anything particularly difficult on them, at least not after the initial 10 minute learning curve the first time I used them :eek:
That just makes it all the better that we got the option to use whatever suits us best though :D

zroid

Banned
I've been playing with the Pro Controller so far, but mostly out of laziness. The motion controls seem fun and good. I did try them during the testpunch and at the Switch demo tour.

i always had the feeling the game was going to cut corners in some way, after the Direct i just knew it.

What i thought about as an easy way to flesh out the characters and the single player a bit better without the need to invest hughe amounts of time and resources was implementing the Punch Out molde. Using cinemtic introductory sequences and closing ones after the fight. Something like this could have been outsourced to other studio even while the main team remained working on the game.

bumpkin

Can I just say that fighting a Min-Min with the dragon laser arm and the round spinning disk arm (sorry, I suck at the names) is obnoxious?

I was in a ranked match and after ending up in a 1-1 tie, when I fell behind in the rubber match, I just stood still and stopped playing. I was irritated and my fingers were exhausted. lol.

Can I just say that fighting a Min-Min with the dragon laser arm and the round spinning disk arm (sorry, I suck at the names) is obnoxious?

I was in a ranked match and after ending up in a 1-1 tie, when I fell behind in the rubber match, I just stood still and stopped playing. I was irritated and my fingers were exhausted. lol.

Springman's deflect is good for this.

Man fuck headlok. Cheap as hell. Game is becoming more frustrating than fun.

The key to fighting headlock is to attack him when he tries to buff up that's his biggest weakness. You need to capitalize on it.

Once you understand his movement it starts to click. He seems frustrating at first but man once I understood how to beat him it felt so satisfying.

I really wish that Nintendo had trophy/achievement system. One game that I'm actually good at and there's nothing to show for it! :( I haven't lost a single game in ranked mode and got to rank 6 and I can't even look at my stats :)

Ogodei

Spring Man was definitely tough to use online, but that was with the default loadout.

Had an easier time with Ribbon Girl, but i went off-loadout so it's hard to tell how much of my difficulty was self-imposed.

Had one clean-sweep match as Ribbon Girl in B-ball against a Kid Cobra though. Jump-grab, jump-grab. It's fun when you luck into a player's blindspot like that.

atr0cious

I don't know if we are playing the same game LOL. With motion controls even beating level 1 Grand Prix felt random and somewhat difficult specifically because of lag/delay of punches/moves. With regular controls level 7 GP is kind of easy. Also I'm pretty sure I can tell who is playing with motion controls (the actually manage to do a lot of blocking because on regular controller that's difficult to do) and beating those people is piece of cake.

And the fact that developer can play with motion controls doesn't really tell me anything. My issue with motion controls is that they make this game even more difficult to master and it's already a tough game to learn.
Sounds like your joycons may be defective. I'm taking my time through the levels, but I can tell where I'm messing up and what I need to do to fix it. Then I work on that and succeed. I feel the investment is worth it.

Sounds like your joycons may be defective. I'm taking my time through the levels, but I can tell where I'm messing up and what I need to do to fix it. Then I work on that and succeed. I feel the investment is worth it.
Maybe... Don't know if I care at this point. Got pretty good with the Pro controller. This is honestly one of the best games I played this year and I feel that those motion controls just made getting into this game that much more difficult. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't write it off as OK game and just moved on.

He seems cheaper than most fighting bosses. I'm doing level 4 with mummy. I've beaten him with a couple of people. He's just cheap lol
I'm 99% sure the AI cheats.

However, once you find a viable strategy with your character (it can be a pain in the butt, try different arms), you should be able to cheese him. I've had more problems with the champ on higher difficulties than Hedlok...

kewlmyc

Same here. It's what missing from the game. Every character is just like a single word and that's it. All we have to go off of is designs.

hatchx

Banned
Maybe... Don't know if I care at this point. Got pretty good with the Pro controller. This is honestly one of the best games I played this year and I feel that those motion controls just made getting into this game that much more difficult. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't write it off as OK game and just moved on.

I am the opposite, I wanted to get into the traditional controls but couldn't. I'm now getting pretty good with motion and I just don't think I can go back! Not only that but there is something extra satisfying about winning with motion, and I can't help but feel this is the best use of complex motion controls in a video game...well...ever.

With that said, maybe you can help me? I want to be able to play with traditional controls but I can't grasp how to bend the punches. How do you move to the left and punch to the right? One of my main strategies is parrying on way and punching the opposite (example : parry left and throw a right punch to the right). How does one accomplish this with buttons?

Have had a strange first 24 hours with this game. Got it with my Switch which shipped last night and I've tried various modes both with motion and traditional. Motion seemed fun when I tried that first, but the more I play and switch between control schemes the more I feel like this game is really really fucking hard. Like I would spend an entire match just not connecting a single punch, even if I'm punching straight ahead without attempting a curve. I know different arms can swing differently but it verges on frustrating especially when I'm past just learning introductions. I'm curious to see how long it takes before the mechanics start making sense coz once I think I have it down the next match will come around and my arms refuse to touch my opponent once, lol. This is the only Switch game I'll own til Splatoon so I'll have more time to spend with it. Curious to hear from others on how long it took them to get comfortable with these mechanics. Right now I just walk away from the game whenever I have one of those inexplicably terrible rounds coz I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. :/

Have had a strange first 24 hours with this game. Got it with my Switch which shipped last night and I've tried various modes both with motion and traditional. Motion seemed fun when I tried that first, but the more I play and switch between control schemes the more I feel like this game is really really fucking hard. Like I would spend an entire match just not connecting a single punch, even if I'm punching straight ahead without attempting a curve. I know different arms can swing differently but it verges on frustrating especially when I'm past just learning introductions. I'm curious to see how long it takes before the mechanics start making sense coz once I think I have it down the next match will come around and my arms refuse to touch my opponent once, lol. This is the only Switch game I'll own til Splatoon so I'll have more time to spend with it. Curious to hear from others on how long it took them to get comfortable with these mechanics. Right now I just walk away from the game whenever I have one of those inexplicably terrible rounds coz I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. :/

It took me a few days for it to completely click Lol.

It feels so satisfying when you understand the game.

correojon

I had some matches against an obnoxious Cobra Kid using Slapamander and Hydra. He would just run away the whole match throwing punches at the air. He beat me and conceded a rematch, so I used his tactic against him: hit him once and then backed away. The guy would just stay on the other side of the arena waiting for me to go after him for the whole match even if he had less health! I conceded some rematches to see if he would change his tactic, but after beating him 3 times (6 matches) I got bored and moved on to another rival. I hate it when people play this way.

Try using Springman with standard arms (the red gloves) it's a nice way to learn the basics. Focus on making every punch hit by curving them towards where the opponent is moving, or where you think he's going to move. That's the most important think IMO, understanding that you have to make every punch count, as an attack or as a way to force the enemy to move where you want him to be. Try throwing one punch at a time and wait for the arm to return before attacking with the other one so you don't leave yourself open. Then, start dashing after you throw a punch to stay mobile. The waiting minigame in party mode and the skillshot mode are very nice to practice punch accuracy. In just a few days you'll start connecting all your punches. If you play ranked however, learning to read the opponent is very important, so you can find where he's going to move and aim there, as most people wil just dodge your punches if you throw them straight at them. You can use a combination of a straight punch to force the enemy to move followed by a curved punch aimed at where you think he'll dodge. It'll soon become second nature, don't give up!

hatchx

Banned

It took me longer than expected. Not to grasp the controls, but to grasp the mechanics.

I had to start with GP1, GP2, and work my way up. GP4 still gives me a really hard time.

Plainsong

Play GP1-GP4 or just play party mode for fun. Learn how to charge your arms. Spring Man or Ribbon Girl are good starters. GP3 and 4 will certainly test you but it all gets much easier once it clicks.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is there a ressource somewhere with write-ups for the different characters? I've been playing Ninjara in ranked but I'm still using the default load out so I wanted to get some perpective on the metagame.

Been playing dirty keepaway games so far and made it easily to rank 2.

Is there a ressource somewhere with write-ups for the different characters? I've been playing Ninjara in ranked but I'm still using the default load out so I wanted to get some perpective on the metagame.

Been playing dirty keepaway games so far and made it easily to rank 2.

On the front page Hawkian made a reference guide for players on the different ARMS, characters, and strategy in the game.

I suggest using it because its a well made guide from one of the gaffers.

Why does every Ninjara i play against online only do grabs? So annoying

Its so satisfying when you punish them.

It feels so rewarding.

heringer

Wide grabs are reeeeally tough to pull off with controls. That's one advantage motion has.

I can play both ways, but also prefer using the buttons simply because moving around with motion controls doesn't feel precise enough.

I am the opposite, I wanted to get into the traditional controls but couldn't. I'm now getting pretty good with motion and I just don't think I can go back! Not only that but there is something extra satisfying about winning with motion, and I can't help but feel this is the best use of complex motion controls in a video game...well...ever.

With that said, maybe you can help me? I want to be able to play with traditional controls but I can't grasp how to bend the punches. How do you move to the left and punch to the right? One of my main strategies is parrying on way and punching the opposite (example : parry left and throw a right punch to the right). How does one accomplish this with buttons?

One of the things that I realized when I switched to Pro controls is that curving your punches is not very helpful. It's much more efficient to quickly move around and throw straight punches which reach the target faster. Moving and timing (including taking a pause before throwing your other punch) are much more important than curving the punches.

Sure there might be unbelievably good player that could make curved punches work to their advantage, but so far I didn't need to curve punches to get through level 7 GP and to be pretty good at ranked mode.

Wide grabs are reeeeally tough to pull off with controls. That's one advantage motion has.

I can play both ways, but also prefer using the buttons simply because moving around with motion controls doesn't feel precise enough.

Wide grabs are not very useful at harder difficulty. At that point they will be interrupted with a punch anyway unless you time it very well (at which point even small grab will do the job)

The Hermit

I've been playing with the Pro Controller so far, but mostly out of laziness. The motion controls seem fun and good. I did try them during the testpunch and at the Switch demo tour.

I am getting my ass kicked by my GF, she using motion, me pro.

Doorman

Hopefully I plan on playing this for a few hours tonight after work, would be fun to finally get some rounds in with some fellow ARMSGAFers. It would help if we had more folks that were as bad at the game as I so we can have an even playing field. :p
Either way, I may try and put some more testing work into a setup that I never expected to try using, but actually have had some fun with in GP and random party matches. Since sure, the world could use some Blorb-Ninjara.

backlot

Hopefully I plan on playing this for a few hours tonight after work, would be fun to finally get some rounds in with some fellow ARMSGAFers. It would help if we had more folks that were as bad at the game as I so we can have an even playing field. :p
Either way, I may try and put some more testing work into a setup that I never expected to try using, but actually have had some fun with in GP and random party matches. Since sure, the world could use some Blorb-Ninjara.

Fight me.

Nightii

Banned
Fight me.

No, fight me.

Is there really absolutely no punishment for rage quitting? In fact it doesn't even count as a win if somebody rage quits on the other side! This is ridiculous! It kind of makes ranked mode feel like a waste of time :)

Nightii

Banned
Is there really absolutely no punishment for rage quitting? In fact it doesn't even count as a win if somebody rage quits on the other side! This is ridiculous! It kind of makes ranked mode feel like a waste of time :)

The ragequitter loses rank equal to a loss.

Ogodei

Party Mode seems to count a D/C as a win for the one who remains, but i haven't seen ranked mode to know if they treat it differently.

I'm amused by how this game treats ties, incidentally. Everyone does their lose animation. Everybody loses!

It sucks when I play someone really good, send them a friend request, and want to tell the "good games" but I can't communicate in any way...

I'm shocked that Splatoon 2 is 2 weeks away and we have no idea when this smartphone app is going to release

Top Bottom