• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Try using Springman with standard arms (the red gloves) it's a nice way to learn the basics. Focus on making every punch hit by curving them towards where the opponent is moving, or where you think he's going to move. That's the most important think IMO, understanding that you have to make every punch count, as an attack or as a way to force the enemy to move where you want him to be. Try throwing one punch at a time and wait for the arm to return before attacking with the other one so you don't leave yourself open. Then, start dashing after you throw a punch to stay mobile. The waiting minigame in party mode and the skillshot mode are very nice to practice punch accuracy. In just a few days you'll start connecting all your punches. If you play ranked however, learning to read the opponent is very important, so you can find where he's going to move and aim there, as most people wil just dodge your punches if you throw them straight at them. You can use a combination of a straight punch to force the enemy to move followed by a curved punch aimed at where you think he'll dodge. It'll soon become second nature, don't give up!

Took your advice today and I'm making progress. Thanks :)

Is it me or the World cup level 4 is weirdly difficult ? I just want to play ranked game :(

It's very good but damn. It's not easy. At least with motions controls.

Is it me or the World cup level 4 is weirdly difficult ? I just want to play ranked game :(

Just play with the regular controls. Trust me, it's much better! Throwing punches with triggers is very satisfying as well!

The key to this game is movement and timing. Even loading help screens say it :)

It's all a question of figuring out the fundamentals. Hit the training stages to focus on specific skills if you are having trouble. I play motion-only and reliably clear GP 5 these days without much of a fuss, but the first week or so with the game was definitely a hump just on GP 4.

It's all a question of figuring out the fundamentals. Hit the training stages to focus on specific skills if you are having trouble. I play motion-only and reliably clear GP 5 these days without much of a fuss, but the first week or so with the game was definitely a hump just on GP 4.
It literally took me about 4 GPs to master regular controls to get through GP7. You guys really should try regular controls. In my opinion perfect timed hits/moves are much more satisfying than motion controls. Plus you get that feeling that each loss is your own error as opposed to not being quite under total control with motion.

Haven't played much Party Mode; didn't know you could draw a 2-vs-Hedlok. Getting paired with a grabber against a Hedlok 6 did not go well.

It literally took me about 4 GPs to master regular controls to get through GP7. You guys really should try regular controls. In my opinion perfect timed hits/moves are much more satisfying than motion controls. Plus you get that feeling that each loss is your own error as opposed to not being quite under total control with motion.

I'm more interested in working my way to GP 7 by mastering motion controls than I am in clearing GP 7 now. The same goes for climbing in Ranked. Even so, at this point so much of my game knowledge is mentally coded into motion controls (50 hours of play do that to you), I'm not convinced I would do better with sticks/buttons anyway without a significant amount of practice. Early on I thought I'd try stick controls just to make the game playable if I'm in a situation where I can only pull out the Switch in handheld mode, and I found out very quickly that it's just not how I want to play the game at all.

I know this doesn't reflect how you or many other players have approached the game, but Arms is inextricably tied to the motion controls for me, to the point that clearing high GPs and climbing ranked with motion controls is a more significant and rewarding accomplishment than just hitting those metrics at any cost.

Just play with the regular controls. Trust me, it's much better! Throwing punches with triggers is very satisfying as well!

The key to this game is movement and timing. Even loading help screens say it :)

Yeah, i like better the motion control it allow me to move a little ehhe. I mean, one hour of this standing and doing really the movement feel like going to gym.

I think it's the first motion-based game that it's really enjoyable for it's gameplay AND that work as somewhat a fitness, and not only a gimmick. I mean, i used to do WiiFit (with is obviously superior as a fitness game) and it was very boring after a while.

Yeah, i'm starting to getting a grip on it, finally arriving at the final. Thanks you both !

I've kind of given up on motion controls. I enjoy that it gives me a light workout, but I can't get anywhere near the level of responsiveness or control that I can get from using the controller. With the controller, I can throw out an Arm, Jump, Dodge, charge and throw out another arm on demand. With motion controls, I still have to think for a split second and then I'm fucked. My reactions are ok but my brain hasn't taken the motion controls as second nature. It's frustrating because I know what I want to do but can't consistently execute it.

I hate 3v3 matches, anybody have any good strategies?

Kills me that there are zero control options for this game! Super annoyed that you can't play standard controls detached from the switch (unless it's in the controller dock). Any word from Nintendo about a patch to add basic options? Or FORCE certain control options?

All that said, fun game, and my most played fighting game since SF2 back in the day.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I breezed through from GP1 to GP5 with few issues then just hit a wall with GP6.

Is plateauing like this common? Any tips?

No kidding me too. Took down GP 5 two times, but GP 6 is nuts. I've won the first two rounds but on Time Outs. The CPU is so evasive I feel like I've only had a KO once or twice.

Smasher89

Got this and played some, party mode, then after that I found the practice mode, where a mission were against ribbon girl i think (lots of jumps), and I had a hard time hitting, where is she in general punishable, and can you hit people midair without jumping yourself? Or do i need to punish some landlag?

one_kill

Getting arms is so much easier with a single joy con than it is with motion. That said, I still prefer motion for matches.

Finished my first level 5 GP yesterday. The CPU was quite challenging.

Got this and played some, party mode, then after that I found the practice mode, where a mission were against ribbon girl i think (lots of jumps), and I had a hard time hitting, where is she in general punishable, and can you hit people midair without jumping yourself? Or do i need to punish some landlag?

When she's about to land strike her. That's her immediate weak spot. Also Hydra ARMS are really effective against her.

Man after I am done with my classes I am gonna play this game tonight.

Mid-July is the last update we had. I would put money on Thursday or Friday next week.

Max Brass, plus his new arms, a new mode, and probably his stage too are expected.

I just saw on my Switch News Channel that it's coming July 12.

4iUneLfl.jpg

Murdoch

The news feature on the switch is best in class on any console. It's really informative and I enjoy switching it on just to read through the news segments. Hopefully they keep up the frequency.

God damn is ranked mode so fun lol.

Like I never felt this this much rush from a game in a long time. Feels so intense and exciting.

Plus there are people who actually block in the game.

MGrant

Yo the Blorb is 5000 times better on a controller due to being able to actually aim and arc the damn thing when you want to. I think people are catching on, too; I saw 2 or 3 fellow Blorb users online tonight. All of these ranked motherfuckers are gonna get my juice.

I'm learning how important dashing around is in this. There are arm/character combos that will straight shut you down if you don't know how to dash well and also dash after tossing an arm. Also Min-Min with permacharged Ramram is bullshit. It's a pressure tool, it's a keepaway, it's a zoning tool, it builds tons of meter, Jesus something has to give. Almost as bullshit as Ribbon Girl. Almost.

The news feature on the switch is best in class on any console. It's really informative and I enjoy switching it on just to read through the news segments. Hopefully they keep up the frequency.

Yeah so far it's been super informative without being spammy. And I'm glad to see things get posted immediately after the announcements so I'm not reading old info. :)

Pandy

As barebones as you could expect. There's nothing but a grand prix (10 battles with AI basically) for single player and 7 difficulty options for it. That's it.

I'm not saying there's a lot more, but that's bollocks. You've got the mini-games/training modes too, 1 vs 100, and such, to add a bit of variety to a longer play session.

Not a lot more, but more than "there's nothing... that's it."

backlot

I'm not saying there's a lot more, but that's bollocks. You've got the mini-games/training modes too, 1 vs 100, and such, to add a bit of variety to a longer play session.

Not a lot more, but more than "there's nothing... that's it."

I'd argue that those modes do nothing to change the value of the game if you're buying it for single player content only. It's not worth it.

Pandy

It's great, and a big improvement on the old notifications system they had for 3DS, or the pop-up notices on WiiU.

I miss Miiverse, and a lot of the kooky channels we had on the Wii, but it's nice to see that they haven't added nothing with the Switch.

Pandy

I'd argue that those modes do nothing to change the value of the game if you're buying it for single player content only. It's not worth it.

I'd argue that they make the game somewhat less 'barebones' than was described. A significant part of my time single-player time in Smash is messing about in the side-modes when I don't want to sit through a whole session of All-Star mode, or whatever.

We're not the ones making the purchasing decision, so no reason to deliberately leave out information that may or may not be relevant to the person asking.

ASIS

I'd argue that they make the game somewhat less 'barebones' than was described. A significant part of my time single-player time in Smash is messing about in the side-modes when I don't want to sit through a whole session of All-Star mode, or whatever.

We're not the ones making the purchasing decision, so no reason to deliberately leave out information that may or may not be relevant to the person asking.

You are right actually, but for single player I couldn't care less about any of these, that's why I didn't mention them. But again, I should have mentioned it.

Anyone got any tips on how to handle Twintelle w/ electric bird? I played a rank 10 player last night and was getting my ass handed to me. How do you properly punish the air slowdown? Do I just keep my distance?

BigBeauford

Having good success with Mummy in ranked. I simply keep my block up for the heals, then when they try to grab me out of it, I throw a punch with the large gloves, which knocks it down and sometimes catches them for big damage

Top Bottom