• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
As barebones as you could expect. There's nothing but a grand prix (10 battles with AI basically) for single player and 7 difficulty options for it. That's it.

That's a bit misleading. Also, does anyone not have an internet connection? I would count online modes as single player.

But yeah the single player experience is not as beefy as other fighters like Soul Caliber 2, Injustice or Mortal Kombat or even Smash Bros.

Should be a fun mode.

That's a bit misleading. Also, does anyone not have an internet connection? I would count online modes as single player.

But yeah the single player experience is not as beefy as other fighters like Soul Caliber 2, Injustice or Mortal Kombat or even Smash Bros.

It will be probably be beefier in due time if they do add new modes.

Plus if there's a sequel it will most likely have much more added single player content. I understand though they did it like this because its a untested ip.

HyperHip

I'll watch top 8 at least. I have issues watching with no custom arms, since the online meta is all about that, and it is what I am invested in. I do ofc know that offline tournaments have no choice due to Nintendo not giving any viable options for unlocking arms. Basically, just a shit situation.

While personally I prefer default ARMS play, Nintendo really should make all Arms available during LAN/Local play.

Finally decided to picked this up. How badly will I get my ass kicked online?

Kind of depends on the players but yeah if you do not know the basics you will be destroyed.

That's why I advise you to go through Grand Prix and training mode as well as the versus mode. They will help give you an idea of the game. Also Hawkian made a guide that will help newcomers. Its on the front page of the OT.

If there's one important thing you should know its charged punches. They are a game changer lol.

Unicorn

Finally decided to picked this up. How badly will I get my ass kicked online?

You're guaranteed to win in Party Mode eventually. Other players get gimped if they win too much and bad players get free supers at the start. "simple" enough to pick up and play until you get a handle on combat.

DNAbro

Kind of depends on the players but yeah if you do not know the basics you will be destroyed.

That's why I advise you to go through Grand Prix and training mode as well as the versus mode. They will help give you an idea of the game. Also Hawkian made a guide that will help newcomers. Its on the front page of the OT.

If there's one important thing you should know its charged punches. They are a game changer lol.

I had the basics down enough from Testpunch. I even thought I was pretty good. Just curious how good people have gotten. Also curious what characters people are gravitating to.

I had the basics down enough from Testpunch. I even thought I was pretty good. Just curious how good people have gotten.

Party mode is filled with casual players so you should be fine although there are occasional really good players. But they get gimped in terms of health to help the bad players.

Its just Ranked is where people have gotten good.

Edit: So far its been Kid Cobra, Min Min, Ribbon Girl, and Twintelle. However, it doesn't mean other characters can't be good. For example Gore is amazing at Helix and I have seen good Spring Man players and their deflect.

Do some of you still think the Grand Prix AI is unfair on the higher levels?

I'm doing level 4 again and it is SO MUCH easier now than it was the first night I got the game. Of course weeks of playing online will make you better. Kind of embarrassed by how much I complained about that Master Mummy (legit took me 30 minutes to beat him that first night). Total piece of cake now.

Do some of you still think the Grand Prix AI is unfair on the higher levels?

I'm doing level 4 again and it is SO MUCH easier now than it was the first night I got the game. Of course weeks of playing online will make you better. Kind of embarrassed by how much I complained about that Master Mummy (legit took me 30 minutes to beat him that first night). Total piece of cake now.

I think once you understand how to maneuver in the game and know how to change up your tactics it gets easier.

SpokkX

I find the single player much more fun than other fighters

Sure it is shallow on story/extras etc but the actual fights feel way more fair than for example in tekken. A "real" challenge that is really fun to play against

Deku Tree

Thanks!

Last question, is the JoyCon Controller better than the Pro Controller for this game? I see all the competitors in this tournament going on right now using joycons in a grip rather than the Pro Controller.

Thanks!

Last question, is the JoyCon Controller better than the Pro Controller for this game? I see all the competitors in this tournament going on right now using joycons in a grip rather than the Pro Controller.

I mean it really depends on what suites your taste.

Most of the configurations work well if not all.

DNAbro

I can't play this on my shitty wi-fi connection unfortunately. Guess I have to play ethernet connected on the dock if I want to enjoy it.

maxmars

Been playing ARMS during vacations, unfortunately the connection here is only through the cell phone access point so no online for us. we're having daily tournaments in the family on a single switch and we've all beaten level 5 with a character or two. This is VERY fun, hopefully splatoon doesn't kill arms online community before we've had a chance to experience it. can't wait to join you all when I get back home.

Just beat it and unlocked ranked. I had this game pre-ordered but after reading day 1 impressions here on gaf about cheap frustrating A.I., I cancelled my pre-ordered and decided to skip on it.

I picked up the game again last week during GameStop's buy2get1 free sale cause I couldn't decide on any other game as the 3rd free one. Soooo I decided to give it a try today and it took me less than 30 mins to finish it....so did I miss something? Why was this game so hard for some gaffers?

Well I'm glad I picked up the game....very fun. Most fun I had in fighting game since smash Bros.

Got the game today with my Switch. I'm absolutely garbage at it right now, but I just wanted to say that the Party mode is absolutely amazing. I was worried that I was going to get bored of it quickly, but I can see myself playing that mode for quite some time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got the game today with my Switch. I'm absolutely garbage at it right now, but I just wanted to say that the Party mode is absolutely amazing. I was worried that I was going to get bored of it quickly, but I can see myself playing that mode for quite some time.

I feel like Party Mode, ARMS Test mode, and Ranked Mode - is enough to keep me engaged. GP is alright up to Lv 5. I found LV 6 and 7 to be impossible and not fun, the CPU just runs away constantly, doesn't really punch all that much, and most matches end up being a Time Out. I hear that upper level GP matches go the same way - but I'm only at GP 3, so I'm probably a long way away from see those strats.

Is the DKL playing in the top 8 right now a gaffer?
Yes

Hang in there DK.

Game 1 super close goes to Abadango.

Game 2 goes to DKL with a Yabuki combo.

Game 3 goes to DKL with 2 blocked rushes.

Game 4 goes to Abadango. DKL had it 2 times but couldn't capitalize.

Game 5 and the win goes to DKL after switching to Ribbon girl coming from Twintelle.

DKL is brilliant, is not just dexterity. He pulled of some big plays in there. 3 interrupted rushes and a blocked one coming out from a jump that it seemed he had no way out of.

Dyle

Just got my Switch today with ARMS. It took a bit to get the feel of the game, but I've already beaten Grand Prix level 4. Watching 2GGC, hopefully that will help me git gud quickly

phanphare

Banned
looks like whoever was talking about competitive play pre-release has been proven wrong

pretty sure someone was saying that only hyper defensive play would be viable in a competitive setting

Top Bottom