• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

It's actually quite good tbh. It's really not bad and it works.

It's not gimped.

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm still iffy on the game, not the gameplay, but the amount of content, but the fact it has splitscreen and splatoon has....nothing, is making me consider it.

Got a gift card to burn and I need to make a decision.

Wurst

Wasn't sure about getting this but finally caved in since i've had a great time during the testpunch.

Decided to go full motion controls. My god do i get my ass kicked on Level 4. I've won 1 Match so far and feel like a complete loser. :D I was way better with traditional controls but i feel like ARMS is meant to be played that way.

It is still fun, but it's really frustrating too..

Do some of you still think the Grand Prix AI is unfair on the higher levels?

I'm doing level 4 again and it is SO MUCH easier now than it was the first night I got the game. Of course weeks of playing online will make you better. Kind of embarrassed by how much I complained about that Master Mummy (legit took me 30 minutes to beat him that first night). Total piece of cake now.
Maybe some guys spoke too soon before practicing enough? Probably a bit of everything.

What is true is that is possible to beat the highest difficulty level by playing cautiously and smart withotu resorting to cheese. Some of these guys are average players and managed to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBoYlN6Lts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeWSwveMVvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCxchECdUnQ

In those videos the AI doesn't seem too unfair, on the contrary, it looks like a competent human player.

backlot

Maybe some guys spoke too soon before practicing enough? Probably a bit of everything.

What is true is that is possible to beat the highest difficulty level by playing cautiously and smart withotu resorting to cheese. Some of these guys are average players and managed to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBoYlN6Lts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeWSwveMVvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCxchECdUnQ

In those videos the AI doesn't seem too unfair, on the contrary, it looks like a competent human player.

The AI definitely reads inputs sometimes but it isn't impossible. After playing ranked for a week I went back and beat the level 7 AI without too much difficulty.

MGrant

When the other guy also doesn't use the beyblade:

25a4b390-34ca-0133-5b55-0aecee5a8273.gif

When the other guy also doesn't use the beyblade:

25a4b390-34ca-0133-5b55-0aecee5a8273.gif

Yesterday on ranked I was beating someone quite decisively on the beyblade the first round. He hopped off, I obliged and took the round. We started the next round on foot, but as it became obvious I was winning pretty easily, he jumped on his board and tried to take me out afterwards. Back to the beyblade and finished off the match. xD

It seems like your records will get updated in future updates like version 3, 4, and so on. Basically your records will be your chronicle of growth. You can see your previous records, but you can't change it. Aggregate of Content is included as well in these updates.

Its all from the Twitter.

RRockman

Banned
Details from Eurogamer about the update tomorrow.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-11-arms-new-mode-allows-you-to-play-as-hedlok

Talks about the Hedlok mode and seems like they are applying a nerf to Kid Cobra. I just got into using him too lol. His base arms are my fav out of all the characters.

They specifically call out Kid Cobra with the Bubb, so arm girth for that (and Buff probably) will probably drop.

How the heck do you control all the Arms i wonder? Hmmm..

Hedlok never punches out one arm specifically. It's either all left or all right.

Doorman

Think of Hedlok as working kind of like the Revolver arm does; you punch once, and three fists are fired out in sequence. Except this time, all three attacks are individual arms and not just three light bullets.
Please don't use all-Revolver as Hedlok, we do not need 18-bullet spams thanks.

As for the balance changes, they mention not wanting to specifically nerf characters, so I'm starting to wonder if they may not change Cobra directly, but make changes to some of the game's overall mechanics that just happen to help Cobra more than others. Perhaps a shift in how arm girth affects rush-charge or something, instead of simply shrinking Cobra's girth.

Think of Hedlok as working kind of like the Revolver arm does; you punch once, and three fists are fired out in sequence. Except this time, all three attacks are individual arms and not just three light bullets.
Please don't use all-Revolver as Hedlok, we do not need 18-bullet spams thanks.

As for the balance changes, they mention not wanting to specifically nerf characters, so I'm starting to wonder if they may not change Cobra directly, but make changes to some of the game's overall mechanics that just happen to help Cobra more than others. Perhaps a shift in how arm girth affects rush-charge or something, instead of simply shrinking Cobra's girth.

Yeah Kid Cobra's ARM girth is incredible lol.

Doorman

Yeah Kid Cobra's ARM girth is incredible lol.

It is, but given that they made it a specific point in the direct to mention how large his arms are, I imagine it's meant to be one of the central features of his character set and not something they'll be too willing to suddenly dial back on.

ksamedi

Are there any good players as Master Mummy? Maybe in the compeitive scene even. Id like to improve wih Master Munmy and it would be fun to watch some vids of good players in action.

ITSMILNER

I would like them to add a tournament mode, proper bracket style system.

Also hope they add some lore stuff to flesh out the characters, I really like ARMS and want them to stuff it full of goodness

Not sure why, but this game is incredibly hard for me. I mean, it's fine when you are playing the incompetent cpu or some casual scrub that's just trying to throw, but fighting someone who plays technically it's another level of fuckery in here. It's a lot like Smash, in that regard. It's cool playing with your friends, but you stand literally zero chance. Coming from multiple fighting game backgrounds, I thought I'd be able to catch on quickly enough to at least not be terrible, but that isn't the case.

Amazing game, but damn does it call for some serious reads on your opponent.

Not sure why, but this game is incredibly hard for me. I mean, it's fine when you are playing the incompetent cpu or some casual scrub that's just trying to throw, but fighting someone who plays technically it's another level of fuckery in here. It's a lot like Smash, in that regard. It's cool playing with your friends, but you stand literally zero chance. Coming from multiple fighting game backgrounds, I thought I'd be able to catch on quickly enough to at least not be terrible, but that isn't the case.

This game relies on positioning and reflexes a lot more than most traditional fighters.

This is my exact feeling about the game. Really like it, want to do better, but goddamn it is rough out there.

I wish unlocking more ARMS wasn't such a struggle either.

Are there any good players as Master Mummy? Maybe in the compeitive scene even. Id like to improve wih Master Munmy and it would be fun to watch some vids of good players in action.

There have been a few Master Mummies that would block/heal so when I attack them they would bait me like crazy.

They were a pain in the ass lmao.

I want to love this game but I'm having a really hard time getting good at it. Even on level 3 I get wrecked sometimes.

Managed to beat level 4 with Ribbon Girl to unlock ranked but don't think I'll be jumping into that for a little while.

DNAbro

This game relies on positioning and reflexes a lot more than most traditional fighters.

It feels so good. I had a match earlier this morning where I was getting pretty badly beaten at long range while I was playing Ninjara against a Spring Man. So after losing a round I decide to just stay as close to him as possible and get quick shots in, not even teleporting around. Guy didn't have the reflexes to dodge my attacks yet I could dodge his more consistently. Won the next two rounds pretty soundly.

It feels really different from Smash because I very much unconsciously play it. Everything is kind of second nature in that and I don't think about any of my moves. I feel like I'm decent at it but I also never truly got into the competitive scene.

Booted the game for the first time. Wanted to look at the arms and it said I needed 30 coins. No problem. Went online to wreck some fools. 5 seconds in I'm being hit by a super. What in the fuck.

B00TE

So hyped for Max Brass! New mode looks cool, think it'll be fun with friends. All kinds of fuckery in Party mode lol. Be fun to see what gets changed regarding balance.

Booted the game for the first time. Wanted to look at the arms and it said I needed 30 coins. No problem. Went online to wreck some fools. 5 seconds in I'm being hit by a super. What in the fuck.

Party mode gives players on a losing streak a free super at the start of a match on occasion (or constantly until they win, I don't remember).

The feeling of Grand Prix level 4 being so challenging in the beginning but then slowly getting to grips and then dominating it is amazing. Then you have your first ranked match against someone of a similar level and it's like the rush of your first real fight after spending your whole life in the dojo and it's exhilarating!

Party mode gives casual players an edge especially the ones who aren't as good.

Like Supers for example.

Neoxon

Party mode gives casual players an edge especially the ones who aren't as good.

Like Supers for example.
Speaking of, I faced someone this morning who willingly sacrificed his/her free super just to even the playing field. I definitely need to friend the guy/gal.

DMONKUMA

So I know two of Max's arms are explosive types but what does the one with purple flames do? Is it just another flame based arm just recolored.

Speaking of, I faced someone this morning who willingly sacrificed his/her free super just to even the playing field. I definitely need to friend the guy/gal.

Damn I wish I could find people like that in the game lol.

Its even worse in Snake Park when people pretend they are gonna be on the ground and they end up tricking me.

Symphonic

LOVE the game so far. Pumped for updates.

2 negatives, curious your guys' opinion:

- 1v1v1 is dumb for this game. One person is always off doing nothing and it just seems the game isn't built to be able to track 2 people at once.

- The moving platforms on Snake Park are silly and take any sort of competitive spirit and throw it out the window. I main Helix so it's especially frustrating because on the platforms his jump and duck feel almost broken, making movements random while any other character is flying around like they're on a UFO

DrDogg

Arms producer Kosuke Yabuki said:
One thing I definitely think about, and that I'm not a fan of, is when it's possible to win using one technique over and over again, repeating the same thing and winning like that. That's something, in terms of the game balance, that we're thinking about and trying to adjust it so that's not possible.

This is definitely not what I want to hear. It's basically the opposite of high level play in traditional fighting games. I'll reserve judgment until I see full patch notes, but this sounds like something Sakurai would've said back in the Melee days.

Uh... what? Almost every traditional fighting game requires better positioning and reflexes than Arms. Not that Arms doesn't require those things, but not on the level of most fighting games.

Doorman

- 1v1v1 is dumb for this game. One person is always off doing nothing and it just seems the game isn't built to be able to track 2 people at once.

- The moving platforms on Snake Park are silly and take any sort of competitive spirit and throw it out the window. I main Helix so it's especially frustrating because on the platforms his jump and duck feel almost broken, making movements random while any other character is flying around like they're on a UFO
1v1v1 can be fun, but it requires a lot on the part of the players. Everybody has to know what they're doing (i.e. know how to manually switch targets and have some fundamental awareness), and everyone has to follow the same general strategy of trying to keep the match somewhat even. If two players decide to gang up and get the third out of the way, there's not much joy to be had.

This is definitely not what I want to hear. It's basically the opposite of high level play in traditional fighting games. I'll reserve judgment until I see full patch notes, but this sounds like something Sakurai would've said back in the Melee days.

Er, so.....you'd prefer that the high levels of the game resort to spamming a particular tactic or arm-set without any push to adjust or spread choices out more evenly? What he's describing just sounds like the sort of mindset most any designer would take when balancing a game. They want more things to be viable.

1v1v1 is just straight up mind games.

mas8705

No doubt that a three man free for all is dumb if you have two people focusing on one guy the entire time before turning it into a 1v1. Honestly though, I have played a few games where it was actually quite engaging since the three of us were all going after each other and I was able to barely manage to win by time over when I was close to getting killed off. Still, it would be nice if we can specify what kind of matches we could have rather than it be random and then it starting a 1v1v1 in an attempt to ensure that everyone plays.

As for the moving platforms at Snake Park, I think it would be fair to say that it would probably be one of those stages that would be banned at the competitive level. Other stages have their own special gimmicks, but it isn't like they affect the actual gameplay much like the boards do that not only give a speed boost to whoever is on it, but makes it all the more annoying to actually try and hit people.

Top Bottom