• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

ggx2ac

Based on my experience, motion controls are much more fun and it's how the game is intended to be played, but pro/traditional controls are much more precise and you'll play better in general

Motion controls > Party Match
Pro > Ranked

More like, it's whatever you are use to.

After doing the grand Prix rank 4 with motion controls, I went to do a versus match with the Pro Controller and lost because I couldn't get use to the controls even though I tried them a bit during the test punch.

I didn't even like that I couldn't move and throw my punches in directions independent of my movement.

So I rematched, switched back to motion controls and won easily since I had better control of my punches.

jdstorm

Banned
Thanks, just beat it.

The game doesn't track which training games you've cleared right? Seems weird.

Anyway, what's the best way ou people have found to deal with rapid punches during rush? Best to hold block or try to move around them?

Either/or. Its a risk/reward scenario.

Blocking means you take chip damage and the situation resets to a neutral encounter.

Dodging allows you to counter attack either with a free grab or your own combo. However you risk getting hit by the rush combo if you dont time your dodge right.

Edit: it will vary between characters. For instance not sure Master Mummy is going to be doing much dodging while Ribbon Girl is almost impossible to hit.

maxmars

Got the game at lunch time, inadvertently started an online match as a first thing. Very fun and (since the game's just out, skills are still forming) quite balanced. I like that you can play it in short burst, even more so than Mario Kart.

The number of character + arms combinations seems enough to keep the game fresh for a while. So far I like it a lot!

Have Nintendo mentioned if part of the upcoming ARMS DLC will feature new modes? Or is it just characters and levels?

From the direct: https://youtu.be/hY2_Xu3f8Bc?t=18m20s

T1MVWlC.png

Chauzu

Have Nintendo mentioned if part of the upcoming ARMS DLC will feature new modes? Or is it just characters and levels?

In the ARMS direct new modes weren't mentioned, but during Treehouse they claimed new modes would be added and we are indeed getting a new mode this month in spectator mode. So let's hope!

Fuck I think I just spent an hour trying to beat Headlock to finish up my level 4 Grand Prix. The normal matches were difficult enough particularly in the beginning, but Headlock is a whole other beast. When it finally went down for good I felt a huge relieve. That was a truly laborious win. The biggest problem being that there's no time limit anymore. I managed quite a few matches before just by evading and saving my health advantage until time's up. That strategy doesn't work anymore. Anyway, I think that was pretty much it for playing Grand Prix, I don't see a reason to subject myself to that ever again. Online play is where it's at.

T.O.P

Banned
Finished Gran Prix at lvl4

Game is everything i wanted it to be, such a blast to play, tonight i'm going in on some ranked :)

eRonin

Beat difficulty level 4 in grand prix! My arms are way too sore to even think about hitting ranked online now...that'll have to wait for tomorrow. Interesting way to gate the ranking system; I can see myself just kicking it at the bottom of the rankings given how difficult I found level 4 difficulty. Some matches took me half a dozen tries to beat.

krpiper

I played level 3 to warm up a bit thinking I would walk through it as spring man.

Mummy rekt me. I'm scared for level 4 :p

-Mikey-

Is this like punch out for a newer generation?

Seems I preordered this months ago on Amazon. It'll arrive later today.

Chauzu

Is this like punch out for a newer generation?

Seems I preordered this months ago on Amazon. It'll arrive later today.

Nah, it's more like Virtual On. Punch-Out is about learning habits and reaction time, this is more a normal fighting game with baiting and reading and spacing, with the extendable arms gimmick.

Robiin

Either/or. Its a risk/reward scenario.

Blocking means you take chip damage and the situation resets to a neutral encounter.

Dodging allows you to counter attack either with a free grab or your own combo. However you risk getting hit by the rush combo if you dont time your dodge right.

Edit: it will vary between characters. For instance not sure Master Mummy is going to be doing much dodging while Ribbon Girl is almost impossible to hit.
Didn't realize you take chip damage while blocking. Can you counter a rush by hitting arms before they reach you, or (I assume) do the rush attack have priority?

Figuring out a fighting game is so much fun. I've not watched more than the reveal trailer and a bit of the Yabuki fight after the invitational before purchasing so I am truly trying to figure out everything from zero knowledge.

Man, level 4 in grand prix is really, really hard. Despite being crap in grand prix, I've been having a blast playing 2 player online mode with my girlfriend using motion controls. Also, I thought I'd hate the unlock system, but I really dig it. Glad I bought it.

deoee

This game is super super hard.

I really struggle with the controls playing for the first time but just finished the Grand Prix @2 with Ribbon Girl and man...

I feel grabs are too powerful :D

Also it's way too hard to punch forward, I tend to angle the Joycons and so my punches fly all over the place :D

KodaRuss

Yellow joy cons should arrive tomorrow. Thought I was going to have to wait until Monday. Going to pick up the game at lunch and be throwing arms all night tonight.

JJShadow

Have you guys tried having gaf lobby/group?

How is it?

We had a party going on during last night and this morning (UK time), tons of fun. Was gonna suggest you to join the Discord server but just noticed you already did it lol

What's the general consensus?

Most fun I've ever had in a while, and definitely my favourite fighting game ever (I also suck at traditional fighting games). It's on the short side in SP content, but if you're into multiplayer you're in for a blast

random25

It's tense whenever the fight goes last hit both sides below 10 seconds left. I had a lot of clutch wins and losses so far.

Then I fought a Japanese Twintelle at rank 5. I got perfected lol.

krpiper

How many ranks are there in ranked or how does that work exactly?

Is it like league wherr we have tiers and seasons?

DjRalford

yeah it's just a huge step up.

You really need to know how to dodge/counter.

I've found 4 quite easy, I went straight to it and skipped 1-3, but
the hedlok battle is kicking my ass, I've won almost every round on the way to him but I can't even get him past 50% health

Listonosh

The difficulty levels sort of put me off in this game. The outrageous jump from 2-3 and 3-4 are outright ridiculous. And there are 7! I mean I know it's a matter of "git gud" but I also can't fathom how you guys beat it using motion controls. The ONLY way I was able to scrounge my way through it was using the pro controller.

Pastry

Banned
Which fights do y'all find difficult on 4? I lost some but was able to beat the whole Grand Prix in about an hour last night with Master Mummy.

Sounds like you're all having a lot of fun! I'm a little burnt out on fighting games, so I'm going to wait a few months for more ARMS dlc to release before I purchase.

JJShadow

My girlfriend is also digging the game a lot and would love to play with her, but these joy-cons are so damn expensive lol

Which fights do y'all find difficult on 4? I lost some but was able to beat the whole Grand Prix in about an hour last night with Master Mummy.

In my first Grand Prix (level 4) I found the fight against Byte & Barq the most difficult one (I think it was stage 7 or so)

DjRalford

I don't really get the Seekie arm. It doesn't really seem to home in, at least it does in a weird way.

80% of the time I threw punches with ninjara they either missed completely or were dodged and countered, so I spent the majority of my time waiting for them to commit and going for grabs. Took me about an hour to get to
hedlok
on level 4 Grand Prix the and now I've given up for the time being as he's kicking my ass.

akashhhhh

Having fun with it. But should one be standing for motion controls? I've just been sitting and my movements aren't super exaggerated, so I'm wondering if I'm playing it differently than all those saying their arms hurt. I wish the movements were a tad more precise with motion controls...but again, maybe it is just that I'm sitting.

CJY

Banned
Zerk was very annoying to watch. He was shit. And a sore winner to boot. Treated it like it was some grand competition. Come on, no disrespect to the game as an eSports title, but it's not even out yet, so it's basically a promotional event.

He didn't even shake hands with the competitor.

Loved watching Mr. yabuki own that guy straight away. Small time douche.

Edit: Oops, my apologies, he did shake hands.

TheTeacher

Neo Member
Ranked is brutal. I've just beat unlocked it and 3 matches in, not a single win. I didn't even win one bloody round - I was close, but my opponents always had the last laugh.

Still, the game is so much fun.

PS: Does this guy remind you guys of another VG character? From a Sony exclusive series.. I instantly thought of him the moment I saw this guy.

8srNtJM.jpg

Top Bottom