• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hasney

Ugh, I shouldn't save money when Amazon have money off vouchers. Should be here within the next 4 hours but the wait is killing me.

Durden77

I've had pretty good success using it. You have to try to keep your distance though, or else it won't be as efficient.

The only thing is that I find that the Seekie results in laying out the opponent more than stunning them, which is usually my intent when using electric based arms. Thunderbird seems more viable in that category, unless your up against a heavy like Mecha or Master Mummy, in which case the Seekie will stun just as well.

Yeah I noticed this too. The little explosion with a charged Seekie is nice, but I would rather stun the opponent not knock them down.

The elemental stuff worries me a little in general, because it seems like electric is obviously the best. Fire is pretty good, but wind seems damn near useless compared to electric and shit. Ice seems ok.

ARMSGAF Friendcode Spreadsheet:

To facilitate the sharing of Switch friendcodes, I made a spreadsheet that you can get on by filling out a simple form. So only GAF member can can access the form, it is inside EMAIL tags at the beginning of this post AND at the top of the OP. Just hit quote then copy and paste the link to be taken to the form.

Here's the spreadsheet where all the data goes.

Have fun!

Once Splatoon 2 is out, will you be adding these?

Yeah, although I don't think we need a 5th grip lol :p

I'm kind of happy the pro controller dpad is defective in a way. The grip works great and you always have the option to detach.

Plus the colours are great fun. Mixing in the Splatoon colours also I don't even want to know how many different grip combinations there are!

atr0cious

So, as someone on the fence about this game, what do you guys think? I played the Testpunch and loved the actual gameplay, but I was scared the full game would just be the testpunch over and over. It was fun, bit the same 4 min gameplay loop times infinity isn't worth $60 to me.
Just like every other fighting game, if the base mechanics don't interest you, and don't have any urge to improve your proficiency in utilizing them, don't bother. These games aren't for everyone, there's a reason fighting game install base usually drops off a cliff after the first month.

Robiin

Rounds are a bit short in my opinion. Never really let me get a feel for the game and my opponent.

Might be because I'm getting smacked over and over, but still. Even when I win I feel like I just got started. I like the Smash format, where there are multiple stocks. I feel like I spend equal time waiting for the next game vs actually playing.

Drame

As others have noted the game is pretty tough on single player and sometimes a chore even. That makes it quite interesting that I find it really fun to play against other player on party match. Quick, light hearted fun. Though, I would prefer if you could only fight 2vs2 or 1vs1, not a fan of the mini games neither in single or multiplayer.

About the controls, I feel that using the pro controller to play is much more easier, at the start at least. I feel like I know what I'm doing with the pro controller as with motion controls even slight hand movement could slam out a punch. Maybe I'll just need more practice with the motion controls, but for now using the pro is way to go for me.

Yeah I noticed this too. The little explosion with a charged Seekie is nice, but I would rather stun the opponent not knock them down.

The elemental stuff worries me a little in general, because it seems like electric is obviously the best. Fire is pretty good, but wind seems damn near useless compared to electric and shit. Ice seems ok.
Yeah, electric definitely feels like the best element. Not only do you inflict damage, but you get a free grab or rush afterwards. Wind is good if you can follow up with a juggle. Ice is the weakest in my opinion, especially when you're up against an experienced player who has no problem using their arms to block your incoming attacks while frozen.

jwk94

I think the heavy characters are probably more difficult to play, maybe try someone lighter and once you're better use a heavy in Grand Prix?
That's the thing though. I was using Mechanica as my main during the Testpunch and mopping up fools. It's weird I suddenly can't use her. Regardless, I'll take your advice. Thanks!

Just stop attacking first. Let the AI attack first, dodge, then counter attack.
Might have to try that. Thanks!

You can access minigames freely. Just put some target practice running for my kid.

You can?? How?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
You can?? How?

Versus mode, pick single player. All the known minigame plus a horde mode and a mode where you try to build a winning streak where it gives you different random ARMS to use in each match (even ones you haven't unlocked yet). You still earn coin and it makes for good, concentrated practice.

Robiin

1v2? Do you mean 1v1v1? I've never lost one of those
They're so fun and easy. Opponents are dumb and easily manipulated

They are not fun when both opponents decide that YOU ARE GOING TO DIE FIRST.

And they are not fun when you just stand there waiting for the other two to battle it out, then you go in on the survivor who has half health from the previous battle and you win.

Not fun.

Dreweyes

I made a design mashing together ARMS & PUNCH-OUT! What do ya folks think? :)

EYWUX2R.jpg

I don't own a Switch.

I'm just popping in to say LOL @ the thread title. Looking forward to seeing this show up on the front page for a while.

Somnia

So how does it play with a pro controller? I have no desire to do the motion controls, but am really interested in this.

Galava

The AI must read inputs. The speed of reaction and the perfect counters are absurd.

Exactly what I was thinking. Too obvious that the AI counters the instant you press buttons. Feels like cheats instead of higher difficulty. Strategies are worthless if whatever you do, the AI will counter.

Durden77

When I'm playing with the joycons seperated, the game keeps trying to switch me to motion controls. Sometimes mid-match. Fucking annoying. Is there anyway to stop this?

Ohnonono

First impressions are that it looks great, fun to play. That computer is pretty good though, lol

I really like the unlocks and stuff, cant wait to play more and play online some. Still trying to feel the game out and get a feel for mobility.

Nightii

Banned
When I'm playing with the joycons seperated, the game keeps trying to switch me to motion controls. Sometimes mid-match. Fucking annoying. Is there anyway to stop this?
That is probably a result of the game detecting you move the joy-cons separately and thinking you are trying to use motions, so unfortunately your only solution is probably using the grip or learning to keep your hands still.

Top Bottom