• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

LegendX48

Ribbon Girl's pretty fun to play.

Also, is there an estimate of how long the battery will last while playing this in portable mode?

Somebody mentioned that no other fighting game has clicked like ARMS since Smash Bros. Melee... And I have to agree. The playability is top notch, and I want to get better. This just might be my jam until they announce a new Smash!

Coxy100

Banned
Buying a Switch soon... how do you do 2 player local co op on this ... I know it's split screen - but will I need to buy another pair of Joy Cons?

1upsuper

Why on earth is no one talking about Min Min? She's the character I'm most looking forward to playing when I get my copy.

mojo2

Neo Member
Right now, I would say no. Single player content is just playing grand Prix with any character and then going to unlock more arms. You can also do versus cpu or another player. If the game let you freely access the mini games that would be nice, but yeah, very very light on single player stuff.
You can access minigames freely. Just put some target practice running for my kid.

Soul Lab

man with this game and Splatoon 2 I''d be good for the rest of the year.
Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 though...
One heck of a year

Edit: forgot Mario Rabbids... damn

I'm really on the fence of buying ARMS. It seems such fun to play, but on the other hand I'm afraid it'll get stale pretty fast.

Loz246789

I DID IT
I BEAT RANK 4
And all I had to do was abandon my main and stick to spring man, and retry a LOT of matches... Worth it.

LegendX48

(Potential Grand Prix spoiler?) Oh wow, seems like
hedlok
doesn't appear on lower difficulties. Just beat it on 2 and he didn't show up.

UberTag

I'm really on the fence of buying ARMS. It seems such fun to play, but on the other hand I'm afraid it'll get stale pretty fast.
No harm in waiting a couple weeks for a GAF read on whether the novelty has worn out and whether staleness has set in.
Let the community reach a consensus and weigh your purchase decision on that.

Everyone's still in "try out the shiny new toy" mode right now.

Shahadan

They did some amazing work on animation, shame you rarely can catch them. The faces and body language when you're hit or sent flying are great

DKL

Having played with the discord group, online is incredibly good... host migration, good connectivity, minimal loading etc.

I still can't believe that this is working better in day 1 than current day SFV and T7 >__>

Gradivus

Are the newly bought arms only unlocked on a single account? I'm playing party mode on the same screen as my friend, but he can't seem to use any new arms at all even thou I've unlocked about 20 of them :(

Today it's been a bad day online. Many people constantly spamming jump+punch, then grab and I have to say that sometimes it worked well against me. I found a Ribbon Girl using those pop punches, I couldn't even touch her.
Once I again, just like in Smash Bros and Steeet Fighter, I find myself using the main character pretty well (Mario, Ryu, Spring Man) but I would love to use another character. I'm training a lot with Byte & Barq right now.

Another thing: Twintelle's witch time is confusing to me, I don't understand when I should use it. Hoping for some youtube video to help me train hard.

JJShadow

I love crushing those throw-spammers with Ribbon Girl. Just jump, wait for their grab headed towards your expected landing site and then BAM! Air-jump and charged Slapamander in their face

One heck of a year

Yeah, Switch's first year is so damn good. I already pre-ordered all of them, wallet am cry

Cleared a rank 3 GP as my first play on the full version. I used Byte & Bark and in the end resorted to dual electro seekers to stun and then grab. Seemed really cheap against the CPU on this difficulty but it was fun.

fuck you robots you shouldn't be able to dunk

robots shouldn't dunk

especially not robot cops, fuck you

do5Wu3c.gif

ggx2ac

That wasn't too hard beating Rank 4 on first go.

Sure, I lost a few matches especially with Hedlok. Didn't really seem as hard as the Gamexplain people were saying.

Jintor

what the fuck fucking dunking this asshole just randomly exploded me and I got dunked? and half the time I dunk this asshole and he bounces off the fucking board? fuck you robot cop, you god damn clockwork pig

Robiin

Hmm - I'm having trouble with this anti-grab tutorial. Need tips.

I'm still getting used to the controls. I feel like I should stay at long range to make reacting to the grab easier, but then I can't hit back with a punch after deflecting his arm.

Is the only way to avoid a grab with advantage timing a punch? Grabbing back (basically ending the exchange in a standstill) seems to leave neither with advantage which seems ridiculous.

You can't jump over or dash away from a grab right?

I've played a bit of Street Fighter (like maybe 25 hours in total) before but there I just teched throws. And in Smash Bros I can work around grabs with spacing and quick attacks. In this game I just get overwhelmed.

Keep in mind I've played maybe 20 minutes in total :D

jdstorm

Banned
Hmm - I'm having trouble with this anti-grab tutorial. Need tips.

I'm still getting used to the controls. I feel like I should stay at long range to make reacting to the grab easier, but then I can't hit back with a punch after deflecting his arm.

Is the only way to avoid a grab with advantage timing a punch? Grabbing back (basically ending the exchange in a standstill) seems to leave neither with advantage which seems ridiculous.

You can't jump over or dash away from a grab right?

You can dodge grabs with movement. Its just hard. Keeping distance helps since it gives you more time to react to the attempt.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn this game is great

can you only earn money in party mode and grand prix? does ranked not give you coins?

One heck of a year

it's such a stacked year. mk8d, arms, splatoon2 for online mp. zelda, odyssey, xcom for sp. what a damn year 1.

Chauzu

I'm rank 5 in ranked now. I lose more than I win, mostly because I leave games vs obviously lesser skilled opponents but keep fighting the better ones. Hell, I even played vs a gafer that I lost 8 times in a row against and we had a nice chat afterwards. He also helped me discover that I might be a good fit for Twintelle so I am labbing her a bit atm. Just need to farm coins so I can get more arms to try stuff out.

So what's the consensus? Motion controls or pro? I was bummed that they never showed the players during the E3 event using the joycons. And I only played it with controller during the one test punch I played.

Robiin

You can dodge grabs with movement. Its just hard. Keeping distance helps since it gives you more time to react to the attempt.
Thanks, just beat it.

The game doesn't track which training games you've cleared right? Seems weird.

Anyway, what's the best way ou people have found to deal with rapid punches during rush? Best to hold block or try to move around them?

JJShadow

So what's the consensus? Motion controls or pro? I was bummed that they never showed the players during the E3 event using the joycons. And I only played it with controller during the one test punch I played.

Based on my experience, motion controls are much more fun and it's how the game is intended to be played, but pro/traditional controls are much more precise and you'll play better in general

Motion controls > Party Match
Pro > Ranked

ngower

I'm in the same boat. My rationale in buying is that Nintendo games tend to hold their value fairly well so I can just trade it in towards Splatoon 2 and get most of my money back.

[EDIT] I went to place an order for store pickup at Best Buy and it says "Available Today!" then only allows pick up options for tomorrow. Is this just because the stores aren't open yet? Seems weird.

Top Bottom