• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Jazzem

Ranked is brutal. I've just beat unlocked it and 3 matches in, not a single win. I didn't even win one bloody round - I was close, but my opponents always had the last laugh.

Still, the game is so much fun.

PS: Does this guy remind you guys of another VG character? From a Sony exclusive series.. I instantly thought of him the moment I saw this guy.

8srNtJM.jpg

I thought you meant Blasto at first :p

Blasto_Coverart.png

That being a Qwark of the Captain variety you're thinking of?

Mikke

This game is so much fun. Playing ranked mostly.
I have only one problem with the game, and that's forcing you to play the mini games during the grand prix. I had no problems with the fights on Lvl 4 but for the love of me couldn't get past the target disc mini game. I finally just gave up and started from the beginning, and luckily it gave me the other two mini games that time. That was so frustrating that I am kind of afraid to go back and play the grand prix on a higher level.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Holding my hands up like I'm in a boxing stance makes aiming and curving punches so much more intuitive and natural. So much easier to guide the Arms exactly where you want them. Like, it feels so good sticking Max Brass right in the face with my Toaster or sniping out one of his arms by aiming punches to that side then taking advantage of that opening. I always drop my hands and get lazy and just hurl out junk punches after a while though lol.

Also, need to train myself to not jump so damn much. I've been knocked out so many times because I jumped while the opponent had a rush and they just picked me off on the landing.

Having a surprising amount of fun with Grand Prix. Went through a lvl 4 with Kid Cobra without too much trouble but had to stop for the night on a lvl 4 run with Spring Man because Hedlok kept working me over. I think fatigue got the best of me. Also, spent about an hour on ARMS Test with Helix which is an awesome way to familiarize yourself with different characters and ARMS combinations. Beating 1v100 with Ribbon Girl was a major "fuck yeah, I'm awesome" moment too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Started playing this last night and got wrecked on grand prix level 4. Dropped down to level 2, got a better feel for things and beat it, unlocked a new ARMS that helped immensely, and then blasted through level 4 difficulty and unlocked ranked with little problems, apart from having to replay the Headlok fight 2-3 times because he'd always end up winning with little life left.

I guess everything has a purpose, but some of the ARMS attachments you can use just feel completely useless.

Glix

LOVING the game. Playing through GP with each toon.

Big issue is I need to remap block to A or B (I only punch with the shoulders). Besides that I am in heaven.

Thoraxes

I got an extra 10% off birthday coupon from Best Buy...

Since it doesn't stack with GCU, i'm seriously debating getting those yellow joycon, heh. I'm going to need a second pair anyways, so this may do it.

Wait. Is there no way to remove the camera controls during a replay for clean screen shots? C'mon Nintendo...

If you wait like 10 sec or so the ui disappears and you can take a clean screen shot.

Just woke up and during sleep it seems I made a few new neuron connections. But when gaf starts playing together I'm sure they will have as well so I'll get my ass beat again 😂

Blunoise

Zerk was very annoying to watch. He was shit. And a sore winner to boot. Treated it like it was some grand competition. Come on, no disrespect to the game as an eSports title, but it's not even out yet, so it's basically a promotional event.

He didn't even shake hands with the competitor.

Loved watching Mr. yabuki own that guy straight away. Small time douche.

Edit: Oops, my apologies, he did shake hands.

Dude chill, zerk was great and gave us a good show, donn hate because he was just having fun and is real competitive

nikos

So I had absolutely no interest in this game until I played the testfire. I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

Should I pick it up? I'm a fan of fighting/competitive games.

Also, when two players are playing online via split-screen, can one use two Joy-Cons in a grip and the other a Pro controller?

Blunoise

So I had absolutely no interest in this game until I played the testfire. I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

Also, when two players are playing online via split-screen, can one use two Joy-Cons in a grip and the other a Pro controller?
You answered your questions, so don't ask for others opinions buy it lol.And yes to your second question

Pastry

Banned

I think it's a blast and a good complement to a lot of other games. Really easy to pop in and play some online matches quickly. It'll be fun switching between a Splatoon 2 and this.

Currently Lv 3 in ranked mode. Now I'm trying Lv5 Grand Prix and I have to say it's a very good training. Mechanica tho... me and Barq can't beat that human piece of garbage.

JJShadow

Getting this for my kids how do you unlock more arms?

You earn coins just for playing. When you get +30 coins, you can enter a Skillshot minigame where you have to knock out any gift boxes that appear on screen. The more gift boxes you knock out, the more arms you unlock (which arms you unlock is based on RNG)

Pastry

Banned
You earn coins just for playing. When you get +30 coins, you can enter a Skillshot minigame where you have to knock out any gift boxes that appear on screen. The more gift boxes you knock out, the more arms you unlock (which arms you unlock is based on RNG)

I think the first ARM you unlock is always for the character you choose to use for the getter game. The subsequent arms all seem to be completely random.

I think the first ARM you unlock is always for the character you choose to use for the getter game. The subsequent arms all seem to be completely random.
Nice thanks guys!

DKL

You can use whatever setup you want.

That said, having played enough, not only are throws from certain distances not reactable, but I don't think it's physically possible to actually throw break because the startup of a punch is slower than a well-placed throw, which makes hyper aggressive play like I was doing last night pretty possible.

People really need to get used to keeping opponent's out of a certain distance since the mixup can get really strong: as I thought, it is definitely possible to punish people's wakeup option if you guess correctly (and you can limit the options of someone in the corner and whatever).

Also, Twintelle's witch time really bugs me since it feels like she can go into it right away from positions she shouldn't be able to lol

(and my Mechanica was omega free since I didn't have tools to overcome the durability matchup in a way that worked for me >_>)

Really like arms that travel in an arc given that they cover general dash options really well, so I guess I'm going with Min Min until I can arms getter her stuff with another character...

(and dragon arm is great, though I get too caught up with always trying to full charge, but setting this up is harder than it seems lol)

Pejo

How's Barq and Byte? The answer to this question is going to determine if I buy the game or not.

DKL

How's Barq and Byte? The answer to this question is going to determine if I buy the game or not.

Dog broke my throw at one point last night.

I raged.

(also, the trampoline function of dog seems really nice since height advantage can really mess with an opponent's lock-on)

They are my main and I'm doing fairly well with them. Jumping on Barq is easy and shakes things up for the opponents, becuase it deflates attacks. Of course if you keep doing it you're going to be punished by a hammer or a well timed punch. Byte's basic punches are already good but now I've unlocked the Chakram and that feels even better.
The problem is that overall it's a bit of a slow character, so you have to learn how to parry. Note that I'm not a competitive player so I don't know how they will end up in a tier list. Maybe Byte isn't even that slow and I'm just making things up. All I know is that my little Barq managed to KILL a pair of opponents with his cute punch, and he has a habit of protecting me from grabs.

Durden77

80% of the time I threw punches with ninjara they either missed completely or were dodged and countered, so I spent the majority of my time waiting for them to commit and going for grabs. Took me about an hour to get to
hedlok
on level 4 Grand Prix the and now I've given up for the time being as he's kicking my ass.

So the seekie is just not that good? It doesn't seem very reliable. I'm using Byte and Bark and it's just so meh.

Crash331

So, as someone on the fence about this game, what do you guys think? I played the Testpunch and loved the actual gameplay, but I was scared the full game would just be the testpunch over and over. It was fun, bit the same 4 min gameplay loop times infinity isn't worth $60 to me.

So the seekie is just not that good? It doesn't seem very reliable. I'm using Byte and Bark and it's just so meh.
I've had pretty good success using it. You have to try to keep your distance though, or else it won't be as efficient.

The only thing is that I find that the Seekie results in laying out the opponent more than stunning them, which is usually my intent when using electric based arms. Thunderbird seems more viable in that category, unless your up against a heavy like Mecha or Master Mummy, in which case the Seekie will stun just as well.

Did Grand Prix in the early hours of this morning in tabletop mode. I thought I had set it to level 3 but turns out it was only on 2.

Kinda nervous about trying level 4 now.

Top Bottom