• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Kurdel

Banned
This game has so much style, I am loving it so far!

I wish the yellow joycon loooked like the yellow in all the Arms menus.

Durden77

That is probably a result of the game detecting you move the joy-cons separately and thinking you are trying to use motions, so unfortunately your only solution is probably using the grip or learning to keep your hands still.

Damn. I'm at work and trying to sneaky play, and seperated joy cons are really the only way I can.

I wish there was a way to turn off the motion controls entirely for people that prefer the seperate joycons to the grip. Honestly this game's biggest flaw for me is that it needs more control options. Yeah you can play with a lot of different types of controllers, but not being able to remap buttons or turn of motion is stupid.

Speaking of controls, has anyone tried single joycon yet? Is i manageable? I have a friend coming over tonight and that's our only option. I hate that they have rush mapped to the shoulder button and not the punches. If only I could REMAP *COUGH*.

Forkball

Ninjara is fucking impossible. He has absurdly fast grab spam and can dodge consecutive basic punches like it's nothing. The AI is complete BS. Even if you're patient and try to find openings, it doesn't matter because the AI always has the perfect counter.

Coda

This game has so much style, I am loving it so far!

I wish the yellow joycon loooked like the yellow in all the Arms menus.

I just bought a set and they sometimes do look like the yellow in the logo in certain dim areas, they only look very neon when you are up close or in bright light.

Chauzu

Damn. I'm at work and trying to sneaky play, and seperated joy cons are really the only way I can.

I wish there was a way to turn off the motion controls entirely for people that prefer the seperate joycons to the grip. Honestly this game's biggest flaw for me is that it needs more control options. Yeah you can play with a lot of different types of controllers, but not being able to remap buttons or turn of motion is stupid.

Speaking of controls, has anyone tried single joycon yet? Is i manageable? I have a friend coming over tonight and that's our only option. I hate that they have rush mapped to the shoulder button and not the punches. If only I could REMAP *COUGH*.

Single joycon is suprisingly good. I prefer it to handheld mode (probs because I am motion control only and my muscle memory gets weird holding two joycons without it.)

Durden77

Single joycon is suprisingly good. I prefer it to handheld mode (probs because I am motion control only and my muscle memory gets weird holding two joycons without it.)

Good to hear. Actually I guess I could use that set up here at work. I'll give it a shot.

These ranked matches are already getting intense. Don't know how I survived this.

DCdP-X_VwAEXcS-

kingbean

This got a good single player component? I don't think I'll be playing this with motion controls but I might play some 2 player with friends.

DjRalford

After going away and coming back beat
hedlok
on the 4th try, unlocked ranked now and won 4/6 fights. Good fun.

One ranked battle we were 1-1 and both flurries with a slither of health, managed to evade theirs and land on the dodge for the W.

RedBoot

Grabbed the game, but struck out looking for the yellow joycons everywhere I checked. Ordered them off Best Buy's website, though I'll have to wait til next week for them.

I think that's a good sign that the Switch is doing well, Nintendo is selling out of $80 controllers. And they'll do it again next month when Splatoon comes out. :p

Coda

Grabbed the game, but struck out looking for the yellow joycons everywhere I checked. Ordered them off Best Buy's website, though I'll have to wait til next week for them.

I think that's a good sign that the Switch is doing well, Nintendo is selling out of $80 controllers. And they'll do it again next month when Splatoon comes out. :p

Yeah I went to Gamestop about 20 minutes after they opened and got the only spare set of neon yellow joycons, I was hyped.

DjRalford

Yeah their financial report is gonna be stellar, and with the console proving very popular so far it should get some decent support.

Hopped into training for a bit to try out Byte & Barq (I rather like the nickname somebody else gave him in one of the earlier threads: Air B&B) and Kid Cobra. I don't have the hang for Kid Cobra at all, although it was good practice to test him against the punch/grab training stages since his uncharged sidestep is so painfully slow. The Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara training stages (advanced punching, punch defence, and grab defence, respectively) are all a good workout for any new setup.

Compared to my performance the Testpunch, I've been surprised so far as just how much that single exhibition match with Zerk and Mr. Yabuki changed my approach: much less jumping, a lot more agile side-stepping, and usually holding a glove in reserve for defence. I'm playing more defensively overall, and yes, I managed to pull off the trampoline combo on Spring Man's stage.

My ambition from the start was to clear Grand Prix 4 with the entire roster before proceeding to the ranked multiplayer. I've cleared it once so far (with my Testpunch main-main, Min Min) and found it pretty well tuned to my skill level: dropped a few rounds here and there but didn't have too much trouble so long as I stayed precise and light on my feet. In single-player it matters to observe your opponent's arms and counter-pick accordingly (whereas if I recall, this information is masked against other players—you don't see their final selection until you lock in). And at this rank the CPU will block every rush if it is in position to block, which taught me to find and exploit the openings more consistently.

Hedlok required three attempts, as I choked on the first two best-of-threes with only one or two hits to go; got too impatient with trying to take him down even though there isn't a timer like there is against Hedlok in Party Mode. He's tuned quite a bit differently in single-player (at Rank 4, anyway): hardly any grabs, and the six arms don't make much of an impact besides amplifying his damage output. Poking with Min Min's Dragon beam did most of the work for me.

This was all with motion controls, from start to finish my preferred way to play. Haven't obtained any arms yet beyond the default set, but I'll probably have to by the time I get to characters like Helix where the default loadout may be a little too special-purpose to get me through a Grand Prix level that is pushing me already.

Masked Man

I said wow
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought
Hedlok Lv.4
was a bunch of unfair garbage. I don't think I'll bother exploring the higher difficulties for quite some time.

DjRalford

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought
Hedlok Lv.4
was a bunch of unfair garbage. I don't think I'll bother exploring the higher difficulties for quite some time.

It's not garbage just needs a more patient approach, remember there's no timer so no rush.

I feel like a scrub using evade and grab so often online but it's more reliable than just punching in 80% of the rounds I've played so far.

I just did it, haven't played the testpunches before I finished the Grand Prix in ~1,5h >_>
My arms are heavy

There's vomit on your sweater already.

I cannot wait for work to be done today so I can play this. I was very tempted to bring the switch with me today but I want to play with motion controls and it would be too hard to be discrete in my office.

Soon....

RockmanBN

Anyone having trouble on 7? Can barely get a hit and rely on using supers once they throw a punch. Am only getting done with time outs.

By the way, this is one game where Nintendo isn't kidding around with the wrist strap warning. I never had any problems with Wiimotes slipping back in the day, but I definitely had a round of V-ball intense enough that a Joy-Con slipped from my grip. Partly it's that this is a game that may get you sweating.

Should I always wait and go for the long timer when it comes to the mini game to aquire new arms? What's the best option to maximize money per ARMS spent?

chunk3rvd

Anyone know if you can play split control without motion? Only played in handheld so far

Also, I really suck at the target game. Just can't get my head round it. Was always a guaranteed L for me in the test fire too

DrDogg

If you guys think
Hedlock level 4
is hard, wait until you play level 7. I seriously had to come up with super cheap strats to win and it was still difficult. It's the definition of cheap AI.

If you guys think
Hedlock level 4
is hard, wait until you play level 7. I seriously had to come up with super cheap strats to win and it was still difficult. It's the definition of cheap AI.
Well don't leave us in the dark, DrDogg! How'd you do it?

MGrant

Headlok's not too bad until he gets his super and a free 450 damage off of fucking any move you make. Punk-ass motherfucker. He went down, though.

Byte and Barq are annoying as hell because there's no reliable anti-air, so he can just springboard off that goddamn dog with impunity. I haven't tried all the arms, though.

Camjo-Z

Holy crap at that Level 4 Hedlok, good luck beating him without some heavy arms. Never did I imagine Nintendo would be the one to implement a casual filter in a fighter.

Top Bottom