• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Robiin

People speak about counter as if that's a specific attack. If so, what is it?

And the loading screen says something about charging punches, what is that and how do I do it?

I'm playing without having looked up anything beforehand, so I'm learning by playing. I've noticed charging up by holding block, but that puts me into some sort of Super mode which I've understood gives my character special attributes (different per character right?).

molnizzle

Holy crap at that Level 4 Hedlok, good luck beating him without some heavy arms. Never did I imagine Nintendo would be the one to implement a casual filter in a fighter.

Yeah. Ranked is a bloodbath from the get-go because everyone is already kinda good. lol

And the loading screen says something about charging punches, what is that and how do I do it?

I'm playing without having looked up anything beforehand, so I'm learning by playing. I've noticed charging up by holding block, but that puts me into some sort of Super mode which I've understood gives my character special attributes (different per character right?).

Different per arm. Some characters also gain the charge in different ways. Ribbon Girl gets charged after she jumps and lands on the ground, for example.

SuperSah

Banned

To charge you can do the following:

1) Hold a block

2) Hold dash (L) when dashing and it charges the arms

3) Hold dash (L) midair

43vsLKA.gif

vtmhQOJ.gif

Durden77

Hey could anyone WITHOUT a screen protector on their Switch answer me this question real quick?

You know there's the Switch's actual screen, and there's the little border around it. If you don't have a screen protector, if yoy run your nail from the border to the screen, is there a little divet between the screen and the border, or is it a smooth transition?

I'm asking because I "installed" a tempered glass screen protector a while ago on my Switch, but I freak out because I can't actually tell if it's on or not. I either installed it so well that it's seamless, or I didn't install it correctly and my poor Switch is naked.

Hey could anyone WITHOUT a screen protector on their Switch answer me this question real quick?

You know there's the Switch's actual screen, and there's the little border around it. If you don't have a screen protector, if yoy run your nail from the border to the screen, is there a little divet between the screen and the border, or is it a smooth transition?

I'm asking because I "installed" a tempered glass screen protector a while ago on my Switch, but I freak out because I can't actually tell if it's on or not. I either installed it so well that it's seamless, or I didn't install it correctly and my poor Switch is naked.

But...if you didn't put it on then wouldn't you, you know, still have it?

So after several hours with the game now (fudging love it) my only gripe thus far, is the way we set arms. As you know we have to preemptively choose 3. I wish there was a way to cycle through all the arms you collect before a fight.

I mean, i see kinda the point. Trying to choose 3 diverse enough arms before matches. But i thought it would be nice to choose from your whole inventory.

Like i said, minor gripe.

I got upto level 6 in Ranked online. Does anyone know how high ranked levels go? Just curious.

Only been playing as Mechanica. All the other characters look daunting but I'll need to start playing as them soon. This game is so damn fun. 200+ hours incoming by end of year. :O

Durden77

But...if you didn't put it on then wouldn't you, you know, still have it?

I know I sound crazy! It was a tempered glass screen protector that's little install had 2 layers. You put it on there and then peel off the top layer and the glass layer remains. But I'm worried I peeled off the whole thing or something.

I honestly just can't tell if the damn thing is on or not, never have lol. It freaks me out. There's some scratches on the screen and I can't tell!

random25

Holy shit it's already 2AM here lol. I've been fighting this dude named Hiroshi for hours. That was some fun rank battle. The only thing that stopped us is a rare comm error lol.

This game is an online crack.

Edit: dude added me as a friend. We're probably thinking the same thing about the matches.

Safros

I'm not really sure how anyone that's played the test punch is having trouble with GP level 4. Just beat it and it was surprisingly easy except for one double down I had with headlock. I was playing Min Min with the dragon and ram ram if that made any difference.

I know I sound crazy! It was a tempered glass screen protector that's little install had 2 layers. You put it on there and then peel off the top layer and the glass layer remains. But I'm worried I peeled off the whole thing or something.

I honestly just can't tell if the damn thing is on or not, never have lol. It freaks me out. There's some scratches on the screen and I can't tell!

The layer you peel off should be really flexible (I think) so you should be able to tell whether the protector is still attached. Also most of these protectors come with two. If yours did, just compare them.

ARMSGAF Friendcode Spreadsheet:

To facilitate the sharing of Switch friendcodes, I made a spreadsheet that you can get on by filling out a simple form. So only GAF member can can access the form, it is inside EMAIL tags at the beginning of this post AND at the top of the OP. Just hit quote then copy and paste the link to be taken to the form.

Here's the spreadsheet where all the data goes.

Have fun!
Added myself in as well. Still at work, so I'll add folks when I get home!

molnizzle

Are there any actual resources out there that show exactly how to make punches go where you want using the Pro controller? Like something that can explain it to me like I'm five. I'm about to break my fucking Switch over my knee.

I take it there's a secret way to get into LAN mode like with MK8D?
Debating trading 1-2 Switch and Mario Kart DX for this. Someone talk me into or away please.
Trade in 1-2 Switch but hold on to MK8D. That's one of those evergreen titles you should never get rid of.

ASIS

I'm not really sure how anyone that's played the test punch is having trouble with GP level 4. Just beat it and it was surprisingly easy except for one double down I had with headlock. I was playing Min Min with the dragon and ram ram if that made any difference.
Are you using pro controller or motion?

Also, give it Grand Prix a run and tell me how it goes.

Durden77

The layer you peel off should be really flexible (I think) so you should be able to tell whether the protector is still attached. Also most of these protectors come with two. If yours did, just compare them.

Well the thing is this was like months ago, back around when the Switch launched, so I don't remember. And it did come with another one, but I gave it to a friend because I figured mine was good.

Robiin

Any tips on how to deal with wakeups in this game? If I manage to knock down my opponent, my next move always whifs. I try to time it right, but if they roll left or right I will always miss?

Kebiinu

Banned
Been playing through Grand Prix at level 5 and its getting really fucking tough. Having trouble hitting Ninjara. But I think it's because I like getting up close, and that's where he strives in.

Xater

Are there any actual resources out there that show exactly how to make punches go where you want using the Pro controller? Like something that can explain it to me like I'm five. I'm about to break my fucking Switch over my knee.

You push the left stick into the dire toon you want the punch to go. It's not exactly rocket science.

Zafir

Yeesh.

I made the mistake of jumping straight into the game on level 4 Grand Prix. I figured it's fine since the middle, and usually the middle/normal difficulty is not too difficult!

I mean I did it, but I can't say it was that fun, lol.

molnizzle

Does this game not teach you how to aim punches?

Look, I understand how it's supposed to work. But my punches never seem to connect where I want them while my enemies can hit me no matter how I flip or dash around. It's extremely frustrating. I feel like I must be missing something that everybody else knows. That or this is truly the most random-ass fighting game of all time and it'll never competitive scene. My gut tells me it's probably the former. lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just got my ARMS controllers. It's not quite possible to sufficiently articulate how fucking cool they are. They look like a neon yellow highlight marker.

VB52rNx_d.jpg

E1IhCKM_d.jpg

heringer

So, how does people feel about the game so far? Worth the $60? I liked the testpunch, but wasn't sure about the longevity.

Just got my ARMS controllers. It's not quite possible to sufficiently articulate how fucking cool they are. They look like a neon yellow highlight marker.

VB52rNx_d.jpg

E1IhCKM_d.jpg

They really look gorgeous, congrats!

Look, I understand how it's supposed to work. But my punches never seem to connect where I want them while my enemies can hit me no matter how I flip or dash around. It's extremely frustrating. I feel like I must be missing something that everybody else knows. That or this is truly the most random-ass fighting game of all time and it'll never competitive scene. My gut tells me it's probably the former. lol

Nobody is good at a fighting game day 1.

JavyOO7

I beat lvl 4 grandprix... I did okay except for the final fight. Woof.

Now I'm lvl 5 grandprix in the first round against Byte/Barq as Springman and well... its like a brand new game. And I'm getting rekt. Golly. /sad

Top Bottom