• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

AdanVC

Just got my ARMS controllers. It's not quite possible to sufficiently articulate how fucking cool they are. They look like a neon yellow highlight marker.

VB52rNx_d.jpg

E1IhCKM_d.jpg

Oh lala, so classy! Put the Nintendo Switch logo on the corner and this could be a nice ad for the console. Looks so good.

So, how does people feel about the game so far? Worth the $60? I liked the testpunch, but wasn't sure about the longevity.

They really look gorgeous, congrats!

If youre not gonna play online a ton there really isnt that much in the game right now (depending on whats added in patches)

ARMSGAF Friendcode Spreadsheet:

To facilitate the sharing of Switch friendcodes, I made a spreadsheet that you can get on by filling out a simple form. So only GAF member can can access the form, it is inside EMAIL tags at the beginning of this post AND at the top of the OP. Just hit quote then copy and paste the link to be taken to the form.

Here's the spreadsheet where all the data goes.

Have fun!

Added myself.

BashNasty

Nobody is good at a fighting game day 1.

Seems like a lot of people are better at a fighting game day 1 than me.

I played a ton of party matches last night and didn't win a single one. I was very frustrated and tilted by the time I turned off the console.

I think a huge problem for me is the controls aren't exactly how I want them. I want to jump with the B button, not the X button. I want to curve my right-hand punches with the right analogue stick, not the left. I don't want to push down the left stick to block, let me use the L or R button for that. I want to be able to play with detached JoyCons as regular controllers, not motion controllers. I like this game a lot, it has all that Nintendo polish and charm that I expect, but it also has that weird Nintendo frustration of not letting you set your controls how you like. I'm literally constantly trying to curve my right punches with the right analog stick, and I rarely block because pushing down on the left stick to block doesn't feel right to me. Jumping feels off because Nintendo is the only company that ever sets the top face button to jump, everyone else understands that it's supposed to be the bottom face button.

So, am I crazy in thinking this game is insanely hard or am I just missing something? I'm playing on Grand Prix level 3 and getting destroyed on the first match.

Durden77

Man the Switch needs an instant way to reach controller options no matter what controller you're using. I'm playing at work with 1 joycon, and have to put it to sleep sometimes because of work lol. Everytime I wake it, it reads my 1 joycon as being vertical and in seperated mode, so I have to get the other joy con for the confirm button, go to the controller settings in the home menu and press the shoulder buttons on my single joycon to change it back to single horizontal mode every time.

Is there anyway around this? Definitely one thing that annoys me with the Switch sometimes, although usually it's not too big of an issue.

deoee

So, am I crazy in thinking this game is insanely hard or am I just missing something? I'm playing on Grand Prix level 3 and getting destroyed on the first match.

It's super hard but it really depends on your loadout and who you're against.

As Ribbon Girl I had massive problems against Springman but nuked Twintelle on my first try.

Lkr

i missed out on test punch. is there any demo on the eShop? would love to at least play this once before dropping $60

KodaRuss

Just got my ARMS controllers. It's not quite possible to sufficiently articulate how fucking cool they are. They look like a neon yellow highlight marker.

VB52rNx_d.jpg

E1IhCKM_d.jpg

Awesome, mine are coming in tomorrow. For some reason I thought the yellow joy cons still can with the black wrist strap part? Both pieces are yellow or did you buy the yellow wrist straps?

Just left Gamestop to pick up one of the Joy Con Chargers and the employees there seemed pretty excited with Arms as they had already played it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Got it. Played through single player with a couple characters. Played some online. It's fun I guess. More skill to it than might appear. Sort of Punch-Out meets Virtual On.

However, as of now I'd say $60 is just WAY too high for this. Just greedy pricing from Nintendo knowing their Switch audience is starving for content. I'd rent or wait for a sale.

wowzors

I started playing as helix and I suck so much ass in this game, I don't even know how to get better, I feel like I'm just flailing around and hooking my punches never seems to work.

Pastry

Banned
I much prefer actively participating in your unlocks like in ARMS versus MK8 where it just kind of happens as you collect coins. Even if it's just you clicking a button to spend your stuff it's much more satisfying.

Haines

Banned
Got to play a bit before work. Felt great. Cant wait to dig in and learn its depth.

Def taking portable mode for my breaks hehe

Any inkling of doubt that this is worth full price is gone now. That Nintendo polish. So much stuff we didn't get to see in the Testpunch.

I love Kid Cobra's stage. Battling atop Beyblades is the best.

Tusk

Got my game a couple hours ago. Beat level 4 with hardly any problem. Only had issue with Ninjara and Twintelle. I love that people think of Ninjara players as the throw spammers already, and the Ninjara AI actually throw spams too. All it did was teleport throw rush, over and over. Had to cheese him in the end.

I ended up just going to Grand Prix 1, which I fucking hate, but I'm stuck at a Skillshot match. Are you not supposed to win this? I'm really confused, because I was ahead by over 200 points, but then my opponent just got a 300 point boost out of nowhere and won in the last minute. I assume you're suppose to win since I keep getting a rematch screen after I lose but it doesn't make any sense.

Soul Lab

Any inkling of doubt that this is worth full price is gone now. That Nintendo polish. So much stuff we didn't get to see in the Testpunch.

yea. the polish is insane. and the game will just get better from here on. ARMS and Splatoon 2 are one mighty combo

Imur

I just started so no wonder I am not good at this, but it seems really hard to aim the punches precisely with motion control. Or does it depend on the Charakter? I play with the girl who punches with her hair - would be understandable if she can't aim like this.

Soul Lab

I ended up just going to Grand Prix 1, which I fucking hate, but I'm stuck at a Skillshot match. Are you not supposed to win this? I'm really confused, because I was ahead by over 200 points, but then my opponent just got a 300 point boost out of nowhere and won in the last minute. I assume you're suppose to win since I keep getting a rematch screen after I lose but it doesn't make any sense.

You have to hit multiple targets at once.
best case scenario is a 1-2 punch where both arms hit multiple targets plus your enemy at the end. such combos give bonus points

Xater

Sure it's polished, but I still think it's thin for the asking price. 40 bucks would have been a much better look.

Got it. Played through single player with a couple characters. Played some online. It's fun I guess. More skill to it than might appear. Sort of Punch-Out meets Virtual On.

However, as of now I'd say $60 is just WAY too high for this. Just greedy pricing from Nintendo knowing their Switch audience is starving for content. I'd rent or wait for a sale.

This is not too high imo. There are mini games as well (Basketball, Volleyball, Targets). In a world where Street Fighter V was 69,99 at launch I'm not complaining about this price for Arms.

deoee

As you smash targets you build a multiplier. When you hit your oponent afterwards you get massive points

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome, mine are coming in tomorrow. For some reason I thought the yellow joy cons still can with the black wrist strap part? Both pieces are yellow or did you buy the yellow wrist straps?

Just left Gamestop to pick up one of the Joy Con Chargers and the employees there seemed pretty excited with Arms as they had already played it.

Yeah they come with black clips. Bought the yellow ones separately, fiver each. OCD and all that.

ASIS

I just started so no wonder I am not good at this, but it seems really hard to aim the punches precisely with motion control. Or does it depend on the Charakter? I play with the girl who punches with her hair - would be understandable if she can't aim like this.
If you are just starting use the gloves. Once you get the hang of it then use other arms.

DrDogg

yea. the polish is insane. and the game will just get better from here on. ARMS and Splatoon 2 are one mighty combo

Using an Arm with multiple hits works really well, but yeah you need to hit as many targets as you can with a single punch. That gives you the multiplier.

You can also hit the opponent to disable them (with a charged punch or throw).

Top Bottom