• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

atr0cious

So if one person is on the board and the other isn't, it's an easy win for the person on the board.

If both players are on boards the match is dumbed down to the simplest abilities. I say that you don't have to worry about movement because the board does it all for you. Normally you have to be precise with your movement because there's recovery on dashes and a good player will punish you if you mistime a dash or jump. On boards none of that matters. Move however you want and there's a high probability you'll avoid anything the opponent tries to hit you with.

You're not using the rush attack at all, yet you're saying I'm the one who lacks in experience? I didn't have a problem against the press because as you said, they're 99% terrible. It's against people of slightly higher skill where the huge limitations of skate park become clear. You don't need to know how movement works so long as you know to keep moving. You don't need to know how to hit-confirm a Rush attack, avoid punches, or any of that.
Really don't see how this is possible, when you're managing more on top of the usual. You don't even use motion controls, so your punch options are obviously limited compared to what I'm doing, which is apparent when you can only site hitting the boards as it that's the standard. Then you talk about counter punching not mattering because of the board, yet then you say you don't have to worry about precision. But if you were precise, wouldn't you be able to counter punch and be effective?I'm not using rush on purpose. I never said I was winning everything, like you can't stop implying. I'm simply talking about how I have taken to the map. But if all of your knowledge comes from playing folks who aren't even close to the mindset you are competitively, let alone skill wise, how can you know what you're saying is true?

oh god... the temptation... I don't need more joycon. I don't need more joycon....

Ah, I gotcha. For regular play, should be fine for kids that age though grand prix mode may be a little too tough. VS mode should be fine.

Thanks for the quick replies! Have a good weekend!

1upsuper

Are many of you having success with non-motion controls? I'm loving this so far but dual-wielding joy cons is not doing it for me, and the controller settings look awful. Guard and dash aren't on shoulders?...Why?

Camjo-Z

KiZjW2o_d.jpg

🤗🙃🙃

Those look better than I was expecting. I'm avoiding any new Joy-Cons until a set comes out for a game I'm really into though, because otherwise I know I'm just going to kick myself when they announce the next ones that are even cooler (it's already happening to me with the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller that looks way more awesome than the regular one!).

DrDogg

Really don't see how this is possible, when you're managing more on top of the usual. You don't even use motion controls, so your punch options are obviously limited compared to what I'm doing, which is apparent when you can only site hitting the boards as it that's the standard. Then you talk about counter punching not mattering because of the board, yet then you say you don't have to worry about precision. But if you were precise, wouldn't you be able to counter punch and be effective?I'm not using rush on purpose. I never said I was winning everything, like you can't stop implying. I'm simply talking about how I have taken to the map. But if all of your knowledge comes from playing folks who aren't even close to the mindset you are competitively, let alone skill wise, how can you know what you're saying is true?

I've already said many times that you're managing far less than normal. It doesn't matter if I'm using motion controls or not. I've fought against plenty of people who are and they can barely touch me.

It also doesn't matter who I'm playing if I'm having difficulty hitting people simply because they're on a board. That's the whole problem. Whether I've fighting someone good or someone average, it's still just as hard to hit them on the board.

The board makes it super easy to move, dodge and defend. Whether I'm good or bad at the game, that much is blatantly obvious.

In ranked matches I can destroy someone on a normal stage, then we shift to skate park and it's a struggle for either of us to land a hit. They're not doing anything different except standing on the board (which gives them a huge movement and defense boost).

Skrams

Are many of you having success with non-motion controls? I'm loving this so far but dual-wielding joy cons is not doing it for me, and the controller settings look awful. Guard and dash aren't on shoulders?...Why?

The pad controls are good. I'd also like to use the L/R for jump and dash, but I've gotten use to them being on the face buttons. Punches are on triggers so everything works out fine. I can't imagine using A/B for punches.

atr0cious

I've already said many times that you're managing far less than normal. It doesn't matter if I'm using motion controls or not. I've fought against plenty of people who are and they can barely touch me.

It also doesn't matter who I'm playing if I'm having difficulty hitting people simply because they're on a board. That's the whole problem. Whether I've fighting someone good or someone average, it's still just as hard to hit them on the board.

The board makes it super easy to move, dodge and defend. Whether I'm good or bad at the game, that much is blatantly obvious.

In ranked matches I can destroy someone on a normal stage, then we shift to skate park and it's a struggle for either of us to land a hit. They're not doing anything different except standing on the board (which gives them a huge movement and defense boost).
How can you say this and then say the skill ceiling is lowered? Like nothing you say reconciles with it lowering the skill ceiling. How does adding a board equal getting rid of skill? Didn't we just discuss the perception of depth issues when it comes to this game and some seeing a lack of it? Yet more movement options some how equals now.

DrDogg

How can you say this and then say the skill ceiling is lowered? Like nothing you say reconciles with it lowering the skill ceiling.

Because you can take a player who isn't good at movement, defense, attacking or landing a Rush, then toss him on a board and suddenly he's even with a much better player. Now all he has to do is flail around and hope a random hit lands with minimal concern for anything else. The lesser skilled player didn't get better, the skateboard lowered the higher skilled player down to his level so they're now evenly matched.

atr0cious

Because you can take a player who isn't good at movement, defense, attacking or landing a Rush, then toss him on a board and suddenly he's even with a much better player. Now all he has to do is flail around and hope a random hit lands with minimal concern for anything else. The lesser skilled player didn't get better, the skateboard lowered the higher skilled player down to his level so they're now evenly matched.
It's almost like you aren't as good as you think if the board is what's evening the playing field. Because with this logic, wouldn't you just be untouchable?

1upsuper

The pad controls are good. I'd also like to use the L/R for jump and dash, but I've gotten use to them being on the face buttons. Punches are on triggers so everything works out fine. I can't imagine using A/B for punches.

Thank you. I've got a pro controller so I'll give it a shot. I hope the controller mode doesn't lose out on too much of the tech of the motion controls. I just can't swing those around right now.

Say.. Would you guys be down for a guest character, like Dahlsim?

I would love that!

Ahh... just got my copy and bout to plug away at this all night! Anything I should know before I start?

EulaCapra

Is there an indicator online that tells players whether they're using motion controls?

Motion controls seems to only be fun against other motion controls users. Where going from moving to blocking is a constant struggle lol.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Party mode needs a 1v1 fight only option. The other match types are just annoying. Also streaks should only be counted towards or against in 1v1 fight. Oh my streak went down because I got fucked over in a multiman match? Ugh. I love the win x matches you only have x health for the next fight thing. But it would be so much better if 1v1 figbt was all thqt counted towards it. Plus when that goes in to a 2v2 match it's completely unfair on your teammate.

atr0cious

Is there an indicator online that tells players whether they're using motion controls?

Motion controls seems to only be fun against other motion controls users. Where going from moving to blocking is a constant struggle lol.
It's hard, but pay attention to your hands positions. Don't twist or thrust, just tilt the joycons towards each other. It takes getting used to, but it's worth it.

Crom

Man....Level 4 is kicking my ass. Took forever to get past the first fighter (Ribbon Girl)

I think I need to learn about charging punches.

I also can never block the computer when they get a super flurry. Any tips on blocking these?

Got to Hedlock level 4 in Grand Prix. I've won every other fight by getting a lead and then just running out the clock, Floyd Mayweather style. Actually have to know this guy out haha. Any tips for how to beat him?

Ogodei

The motion controls are a little chaotic for me, but i started grasping it when i switched to joypad.

I definitely like the basics of the gameplay, but it feels like a lot to keep track of right now, definitely closer to a traditional fighter than i've played in a long time.

Also seems odd that they went with gibberish language. For Splatoon it kind of makes sense, here they might as well have given everyone proper VA's (or at least the human-ish ones).

Added my FC to the spread sheet anyone can feel free to add me i also plan to pick up splatoon 2, pokken tournament, and monster hunter XX for those also importing. Oh yea and i own street fighter and mario kart.

The motion controls are a little chaotic for me, but i started grasping it when i switched to joypad.

I definitely like the basics of the gameplay, but it feels like a lot to keep track of right now, definitely closer to a traditional fighter than i've played in a long time.

Also seems odd that they went with gibberish language. For Splatoon it kind of makes sense, here they might as well have given everyone proper VA's (or at least the human-ish ones).
I agree. Especially for the announcer since he had a voice in all of the directs. Wish he voiced him in the game as well.

ngower

An hour or so into the game and I dropped motion controls for the Pro Controller. This game is more fun than I anticipated it being but my terrible ability in fighting games contines.

Top Bottom