• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Mandelbo

Is there a way to access that opening tutorial again? I somehow set my two joy cons to P1 and P2 and I ended up accidentally skipping that opening tutorial. Try as I might I couldn't get it to trigger again. I tried deleting the game and that didn't work. I had to make a second account to do the tutorial but it really bugs me that I can't ever do it on my main account.

You should be able to access it again from the main menu by going to Help -> Tips - the basics tutorial should be there. If it's not under Tips, it'll definitely be somewhere else under Help.

Raysoul

Is there a way to access that opening tutorial again? I somehow set my two joy cons to P1 and P2 and I ended up accidentally skipping that opening tutorial. Try as I might I couldn't get it to trigger again. I tried deleting the game and that didn't work. I had to make a second account to do the tutorial but it really bugs me that I can't ever do it on my main account.

It's under Versus->Training mode

Dineren

Banned
Decided to hop into GP level 4 first to unlock ranked and am regretting it. I did pretty well in the test punch, but this has been pretty brutal for me. I've come so close, but keep losing it at the last second. I'm just glad it lets you save your position and come back later.

loudbill

I haven't played online yet, but this game is SO GOOD. I didn't think it was going to be this complex, it really takes a lot of strategy. I knew i was going to like it, but damn i could barely put it down.

Its available in the Training Mode.

Holy shit, is everybody in GP Mr. Yabuki?! Lol, never gotten my ass kicked by a "low" level fighting game AI in a long while till now. Also did a sweet finisher just now! A bomb dropped from the sky so I punched it which caused it to bounce towards Ribbon girl who was coming forward after me. Did a 1-2 punch on her in quick succession which made her launch backwards right when the bomb exploded which finished the match! So dope.

DrDogg

I don't see how that doesn't raise the skill ceiling. If someone is using it properly, that level should look like "live" action beyblades. You also have another arm.

In a normal game you have to worry about movement, counter punching, timing your Rush attack so it's guaranteed, and only punching when it's safe to do so.

When playing on the skate park stage you don't have to worry anywhere near as much about movement, it's super easy to avoid most punches, counter punching doesn't really exist and happens more by random luck than skill, the Rush attack is almost completely nullified, and you can pretty much punch whenever you want because the board handles defense for you.

Not sure how you can think it raises the skill ceiling at all.

Tyeforce

Is it more cost effective to save up 200 to spend on the Long Timer in Get ARMS? Or is the value proportionate to what you spend for all three options (Short, Medium, and Long, for 30, 100, and 200 respectively)?

jdstorm

Banned
Is it more cost effective to save up 200 to spend on the Long Timer in Get ARMS? Or is the value proportionate to what you spend for all three options (Short, Medium, and Long, for 30, 100, and 200 respectively)?

The value is proportinate, but Long sessions give you a greater chance to get Clocks that boost the session length. Due to this they are better value.

Moondrop

Banned
My initial impression of the full game is that Twintelle is the best. Oh and it's lots of fun and the AI is merciless.

It seriously feels as if she has 5 abilities to everyone else's 2:
- She has better hovering and aerial maneuverability than Mechanica.
- She can charge while hovering like Mechanica.
- She has defense while in the air unlike Ribbon Girl.
- She has a more versatile defensive aura than Spring Man, as it activates in three easy ways to his picky one.
- She can air dodge twice in one jump. Just 'cuz.

In other news, I wasn't too impressed with Kid Cobra or Barq & Byte in my first attempts. I want to play more Helix but I've got to get him some new Arms first.

Help! Level 4 and drowning!

I was getting over 100 during the test punches, but this is brutal! I feel like I've been getting better, but that the computer gets better as I do.

Unicorn

Can you play with split joycons without motion in full game?

If you hold your hands still in your lap, you can.

Also it feels fucking nuts unlocking new arms and setting them in your set of 3 for a character after being so used to that 3 preset limit. Like, I fought a mechanica with a different arm than default and the whole world turned upside down.

I'm ready.

aO2B8gh.jpg

atr0cious

In a normal game you have to worry about movement, counter punching, timing your Rush attack so it's guaranteed, and only punching when it's safe to do so.

When playing on the skate park stage you don't have to worry anywhere near as much about movement, it's super easy to avoid most punches, counter punching doesn't really exist and happens more by random luck than skill, the Rush attack is almost completely nullified, and you can pretty much punch whenever you want because the board handles defense for you.

Not sure how you can think it raises the skill ceiling at all.
Because that seems more like just your experience. After I realized how the board worked, it was a lot easier to pressure and I moved more not less. And this is confusing, so you don't have to worry about movement, yet you can easily avoid punches via movement? And I don't use the rush attack right now, more worried about movement and character traits at the moment. I think you playing a small pool of decidedly average players (the press is notoriously bad at games) has affected how you approach the game.

Skrams

Got the game this morning. I've been playing it a majority of the day. I started off by beating lvl 4 in Grand Prix with Minmin. I lost some rounds, but only lost a match to a Springman at the 5th fight. I ended the whole thing with a clutch grab after wake up on the final boss when I had no health left.

Then played Ranked for a while. Getting into matches is super quick and great. I'm currently Rank 8. I also fought a twintelle for about 15 matches in the row. I got a match on her and then she instantly adapted. She got 2 matches on me, but then I learned ramram is Twintelle's bane. I murdered her the rest of the time with that. Very close matches, but I still ended up winning. If a twintelle likes to jump then they're going to get hit by my charged ramram. It also makes for easy super confirms. If you see a jump, just fucking go and you'll be good. So many matches ended with me whispering to myself, "jump," which is then followed by a super the moment she jumps. The mindgames are so good.

Just beat lvl 7 Grand Prix with Minmin a moment ago too. Not terribly hard, but still a bit difficult. It also helps that I don't feel like the AI can deal with dragon at all. I lost to the final boss about 5-6 times, but eventually learned that jumping and laser practically always gets a hit in. AI just can't deal.

Overall, enjoying the game a lot.

DrDogg

If you're good at the Arms Getter, spending 200 is the best value. When I say "good" I mean you're getting an average of at least 25 Arms per run at 200. If you're close to that, stick to 200. If you drop below 22 Arms on average, 30 is your best bet.

I don't mean to keep spamming my articles, but I've covered this very question so... https://www.primagames.com/games/arms/tips/arms-unlock-arms-fast-get-money-quickly-nintendo-switch

Scroll down to the Arms Getter options for a breakdown of which one is best for you.

Help! Level 4 and drowning!

I was getting over 100 during the test punches, but this is brutal! I feel like I've been getting better, but that the computer gets better as I do.

Don't attack first.

Byte and Barq AI on Skillshot

Ridiculously hard fight

Attack them with a charged punch before the next wave of targets. This knocks them down and makes it a lot easier to win. (Skillshot Tips article spam)

Renna Hazel

This would be a lot better if the left stick wasn't the block button. Really annoying that I can't change that. Otherwise, really fun game so far.

DrDogg

Because that seems more like just your experience. After I realized how the board worked, it was a lot easier to pressure and I moved more not less. And this is confusing, so you don't have to worry about movement, yet you can easily avoid punches via movement? And I don't use the rush attack right now, more worried about movement and character traits at the moment. I think you playing a small pool of decidedly average players (the press is notoriously bad at games) has affected how you approach the game.

So if one person is on the board and the other isn't, it's an easy win for the person on the board.

If both players are on boards the match is dumbed down to the simplest abilities. I say that you don't have to worry about movement because the board does it all for you. Normally you have to be precise with your movement because there's recovery on dashes and a good player will punish you if you mistime a dash or jump. On boards none of that matters. Move however you want and there's a high probability you'll avoid anything the opponent tries to hit you with.

You're not using the rush attack at all, yet you're saying I'm the one who lacks in experience? I didn't have a problem against the press because as you said, they're 99% terrible. It's against people of slightly higher skill where the huge limitations of skate park become clear. You don't need to know how movement works so long as you know to keep moving. You don't need to know how to hit-confirm a Rush attack, avoid punches, or any of that.

Skrams

About Snakeboarding

I find that stage to be fun when you're not focusing on winning, but overall the stage feels like a lot of luck. I don't really enjoy it in ranked since it's just chaos.

The fact a player can jump with the snakeboard and the snakeboard itself just seems to block a fucking lot of attacks? It's a bit of a pain to ever hit an enemy. Constant movement to dodge and constantly hitting the snakeboard with the ARMS.

Is Arms too complex for my 4 year olds?

Nah, as long as you just give them joycons and tell them to punch away then you'll be fine. Obviously they'll be unable to beat higher difficulties beyond 1 or 2, but they can fight each other to be more evenly matched.

B00TE

party match is so addicted...

one more game
one more game
one more game
one more game
one more game

Haha, yeah. It's been that way even in friend lobbies for me today.

So I'm loving the ARMS test. Feel like when I wanna play a quick game by myself that's what I'll be playing. Basically feels like a smaller party mode for a solo player.

jdstorm

Banned
Is Arms too complex for my 4 year olds?

A gaffer posted a video of his daughter of roughly the same age winning a match during the test punch. It should be fine. The motion controls are intuitive, grand prix mode is easy enough on level 1, and they will be able to play with each other. I'd say go for it.

Moondrop

Banned
I didn't know Spring Man can also get his defensive aura after a jump, my mistake. Similar tricky timing. Edit: And after the air dodge landing too. I've definitely underestimated him a bit.

Also was unaware Min Min could do a grounded backflip kick by dodging back. That could change a lot.

A gaffer posted a video of his daughter of roughly the same age winning a match during the test punch. It should be fine. The motion controls are intuitive, grand prix mode is easy enough on level 1, and they will be able to play with each other. I'd say go for it.

Thanks!

Blindy

Yeah I think I need the pro controller for this game. I like the workout the two joycons give but I don't feel like I am full control of my directional arm shots. I basically cheesed level 1 with timed throws.

Top Bottom