• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

1upsuper

Ranked is brutal. I've just beat unlocked it and 3 matches in, not a single win. I didn't even win one bloody round - I was close, but my opponents always had the last laugh.

Still, the game is so much fun.

PS: Does this guy remind you guys of another VG character? From a Sony exclusive series.. I instantly thought of him the moment I saw this guy.

8srNtJM.jpg

Uh, Blasto?

Formless

Some things in general I've learned, from ragequitting level 4 Grand Prix yesterday after I couldn't beat the first match to only continuing like 4 times right now

- Try to use the normal boxing glove type arms to learn fundamentals
- Don't use the jump/dodge as your primary means of movement. Just walk and try to stay calm until something comes
- Throws are easily punished
- Tilting before you punch matters. You can do this to widen your throws pretty easily before you let the arms out.
- Watch where your opponent is going and tilt that way
- If your opponent is attacking from your right side, it's probably better to dodge to the right since their other arm will have less range
- Don't put yourself in the corner or against a wall
- Hitting a jumping target is hard, wait until the opopnent is about to hit the ground before attacking
- Only shoot one arm out unless you read a throw or can confirm a punch
- Charge whenever there's downtime
- You can move while one or even both arms are out, but much slower. Pay attention even after you've punched to see if you should dodge

DrDogg

So something more difficult lowers the skill ceiling, how does that work? I use the blorb and can arch my punch to hit them. The hardest part for me is getting used to the dismount as I like knocking folks off their board and hopping on theirs. After the first couple times, I looked forward to the map, especially as a Cobra main, cause it moves way faster than his standard dash. And this is after only a couple hours of learning the controls.

It's not more difficult at all. The board does all the movement and defensive work for you. If someone jumps while on the board the Blorb will just hit the board and bounce off unless the person you played just didn't jump or mistimed it.

Block. When the punch lands there's a sound and a blue light, that's when you dash.

I have no idea how to follow up once you've done it though.

You use it to give the opponent longer recovery on the attack. If you deflect/parry the punch falls to the ground immediately and will sit there for a moment. It works best against heavy Arms, but if you're close enough when you do it the opponent will have a very difficult time avoiding your follow up punch.

Tain

can someone tell me what the anti counter mission is supposed to teach me?

cuz it taught me that you're vulnerable when bouncing on the trampolines and it taught me how to timer scam

Someone help me understand what it was getting at.

Speely

Banned
God this game is fun. Grand Prix 4 is tough but in a good way. Waiting till my new router gets here to even try Ranked, which I should have opened tonight.

Twintelle has become my go-to, mostly because I like the Chillas so much. The slow effect is so helpful for setting up throws on fast enemies. I find myself throwing very little outside of this. Paying attention to my movement vs my opponent and throwing well-timed punches to build up rush seems to work best for me. I am basically Floyd Mayweather in this game since I passed rank 2 grand prix lol.

I will probably switch to Spring Man once I get around to opening up arms I like more for him. I feel like I charge my arms a lot through normal play, so his deflection ability would basically be a passive defensive bonus every once in a while.

This is all while trying to ween myself off Ribbon Girl. She is so strong, but I feel like her special ability will only be very useful vs less-skilled players.

Motion controls are so good. I am finally dialing them in. Nintendo done good.

Durden77

It's a lot more than just a damage boost. Once someone has Rush you basically can't attack them. If someone has Rush and the other player's health is low, it's almost a guaranteed win. It gives you full control of the match.

Yeah but that's why I don’t like it. It's way too simple and straightforward. It's just "you're superpowered now go nuts!!!". There's not much more to it than that at all. With what this game's going for, I get why they made it that way, but it's just....boring. I wish there was more to it.

Even if it was the same basic idea but each character got their own type of super attack animation or something that would at least be more exciting. The closest we get with that are Byte and Bark merging for their rush.

So I caved and bought it. I'm glad I did, really enjoying it. Hopefully this gets continued support like Splatoon did.

Really digging Ninjara. Love teleporting midair and chakramming right after

Speely

Banned
Went from losing about 15 matches in a row to finally winning then perfecting max brass... lol

Nice! I've had quite a few matches where I lose badly, get mad, and then follow the loss up with a perfect.

I feel like this game is good about teaching through normal matches much more so than through the actual "training." I've yet to lose twice to the same cpu opponent (aside from trying grand prix mode level 7 for shits and giggles. OMG.)

Nice! I've had quite a few matches where I lose badly, get mad, and then follow the loss up with a perfect.

I feel like this game is good about teaching through normal matches much more so than through the actual "training." I've yet to lose twice to the same cpu opponent (aside from trying grand prix mode level 7 for shits and giggles. OMG.)

Yea I felt like I would be stuck on fights until I learned to fight in a different way and experiment. Games really good about that.

Level 4 was pretty tough, I better start playing ranked before people start getting really good!

j-wood

How do you charge? Is it just block? I try that with the ninja guy and my gloves glow for a second then go back to normal super fast

I think I hate this game. Bought it today.

Controls are unresponsive and I'm not having fun playing online.

I think I'll probably sell it on Craigslist

Shame... I thought it would be fun.

How do you charge? Is it just block? I try that with the ninja guy and my gloves glow for a second then go back to normal super fast

Block, land from a jump, or hold dash or jump after dashing or jumping.

Twintelle and Mechanica can charge in the air by holding dash and jump, respectively.

13ruce

Banned
Lol my copy is fucking stolen by the postman.... Was excited to play all day:(

Getting a new one tommorow for free really happy with that webshop.

No kiddin the track and trace even states it's delivered but it's not and my neighboors don't have the package too.

Pretty sad luck but ohwell the webshop is sending a new one:)

Sometimes it does happen that games etc get stolen sice it is a pretty poular webshop here the postman will then tear a corner off and look if anything worthwhile he or she wants.

It's very rare tho and only the second time it happened in the 4-5 years i order games online. I filled a complaint at the post service tho so the same guy won't probably deliver it again.

Edit: the package shows wich webshop it is and sice it is a popular one it sometimes although very rarely happens.

DrDogg

is it just me or does that tether in 2 v 2 hinder both yours and your teammates movement?

Your movement is hindered and if one is thrown you both fall and take damage.

Hold block or dash and hold the dash button.

I think I hate this game. Bought it today.

Controls are unresponsive and I'm not having fun playing online.

I think I'll probably sell it on Craigslist

Shame... I thought it would be fun.

I can definitely understand some people not liking the game... but the controls are quite responsive in all regards (motion and traditional). If that's really your main complaint, you're doing something wrong.

Robiin

What character and arms have you tried or are you using? During the test punch I went for Minmin/RibbonGirl/Twintelle because I do much better with speed in general but when I got the full game I couldn't help but try Byte&Barq/Helix which I have been pretty terrible with.

I've stuck to Byte&Barq because I haven't really figured out the usefulness of the parry/jump off Barq mechanic at all (in general I don't know how to react after a successful parry) and I've been messing around with a shield in one hand and something faster in the other. Right now I'm trying to learn the ice boomerang.

So all of that taken together.....I fucking suck. 😂

But I want to see if I can ever get decent with it and start to beat down some of the more dodgy players.
I've mainly been using Spring Man and Ninjara with a combination of the three default arms. I tend to favour fast characters in fighters so Ninjara seemed like a good choice. Spring Man to learn the controls. I won't give up quite yet, but I suck way worse than I usually do in these games at the start.

jdstorm

Banned
I've mainly been using Spring Man and Ninjara with a combination of the three default arms. I tend to favour fast characters in fighters so Ninjara seemed like a good choice. Spring Man to learn the controls. I won't give up quite yet, but I suck way worse than I usually do in these games at the start.

Try Ribbon Girl. She's also a "beginner" character and she's one of the fastest in the game.

atr0cious

It's not more difficult at all. The board does all the movement and defensive work for you. If someone jumps while on the board the Blorb will just hit the board and bounce off unless the person you played just didn't jump or mistimed it.
I don't see how that doesn't raise the skill ceiling. If someone is using it properly, that level should look like "live" action beyblades. You also have another arm.

LProtag

I reluctantly have to admit I think I'm doing better with the pro controller than with motion controls, even if the controls feel more fun.

Stuck on the last bit of Grand Prix level 4 though. So close to unlocking ranked.

1upsuper

Is there a way to access that opening tutorial again? I somehow set my two joy cons to P1 and P2 and I ended up accidentally skipping that opening tutorial. Try as I might I couldn't get it to trigger again. I tried deleting the game and that didn't work. I had to make a second account to do the tutorial but it really bugs me that I can't ever do it on my main account.

Top Bottom