• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Why would u buy a multiplayer game for a single player mode...

Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 have been a lot of fun. I love fighting games but I don't like playing them online. Either single player or couch mp with friends. Unfortunately with my schedule I'm usually playing by myself. Does that answer your question?

HyperHip

Is there any point in attacking first at all ? I could see if the Guard Break/chip actually mattered or something but there is literally no reason to throw the first punch.

Blunoise

Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 have been a lot of fun. I love fighting games but I don't like playing them online. Either single player or couch mp with friends. Unfortunately with my schedule I'm usually playing by myself. Does that answer your question?
Yes but should Also know that this game doesn't have a story mode like those games.

jdstorm

Banned

If you regularly have a party style Gaming night Arms would probably be worth it. Its pretty fun as a party game. If not, maybe wait until more DLC gets added, or you get a chance to try it out somewhere for an extended period of time.

Perineum

This game is trash in my opinion. Get over the art style, and the initial hour or so and you realize how poor it is in so many ways.

Awful lack of SP content.

Locked ranked behind bull shit AI that reads all your inputs and refuses to attack you forcing you to LUCK into a win if you ever get one. Seriously whoever designed the AI and locked ranked behind this level 4 horse shit needs to be shot.

Gameplay is only rewarding for defensive play.

Gameplay is basically rock paper scissors, and that's it.

Some characters are infinitely better than others.

Some arms are infinitely better to use than others.

---------

Throw away game. A Splatoon hit this is not.

Durden77

I find it funny how many people in here hate the AI. It's typical fighting game AI which is, and always will be, awful. Fighting games just simply aren't made for fighting AI.

LotusHD

Banned
This game is trash in my opinion. Get over the art style, and the initial hour or so and you realize how poor it is in so many ways.

Locked ranked behind bull shit AI that reads all your inputs and refuses to attack you forcing you to LUCK into a win if you ever get one. Seriously whoever designed the AI and locked ranked behind this level 4 horse shit needs to be shot.

---------

Very unnecessary...

Perineum

I find it funny how many people in here hate the AI. It's typical fighting game AI which is, and always will be, awful. Fighting games just simply aren't made for fighting AI.

*shrug* AI in Injustice 2 or Tekken 7 as of late aren't totally unfair like in this. On the hardest difficulty in IJ2 the final boss was the only "ugh" moment. Tekken 7 the AI feels like it is always back and forth when you get to the higher levels.

Here? You attacking is pointless. 100%. The AI throw is faster than yours, and after a throw they can almost immediately cancel into a punch again so heaven forbid you try to punish a throw they whiff into your own. AI automatically punishes you for blocking with a throw that feels faster than a normal one from a real human player.

I could go on and on, but the AI at level 4 is absurd and the very definition of awful game design.

---------

Why you so mad at video games?

jdstorm

Banned

---------

If you think level 4 AI is unfair, then you arent ready for a ranked mode where some players can defeat level 7 AI. Maybe try Grand Prix mode on an easier level with an OP character.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

---------

Git gud

And chill out

1upsuper

An hour or so into the game and I dropped motion controls for the Pro Controller. This game is more fun than I anticipated it being but my terrible ability in fighting games contines.

Yeah, I switched to pro controller and this is a lot better. Having lots of fun now.

Totakeke

Played Spring Man, went straight to level 4 grand prix, lost a couple of times to master mummy and mechanica but otherwise it wasn't that bad.. until Hedlok good god. Took him down after like 30 matches. Choosing the right arms definitely helped a lot.

molnizzle

I'm pretty sure level 7 Grand Prix volleyball CPU is doing shit that is literally impossible for a human to do with a controller.

Perineum

If you think level 4 AI is unfair, then you arent ready for a ranked mode where some players can defeat level 7 AI. Maybe try Grand Prix mode on an easier level with an OP character.

I can beat level 1, 2, and 3 without issues.

The jump to 4 is insane.

I don't get the "strat" to beat it I guess. I can stand around doing literally nothing myself but dodging and the AI will stand there not caring. Eventually it will throw something out to bait me into a situation where if I try to punish then I eat shit.

I'm calm gang---just done with this game and gave it permanently to my daughter. I'll mess with it with her in co op for casual shenanigans, but yeah this is just lame game design.

---------

If it's worth anything I went from not being able to land a punch at the beginning of the day on difficulty 4 to breezing through at the end of the day. I don't know how that is anything but skill improvement, certainly wouldn't be solely contributable to luck. I was also mindlessly playing while talking to my dad and wasn't playing defensive at all, I did really well. Maybe give it some more time and see if you catch on more.

I personally focused more on staying aerial and mobile and actually stayed pretty aggressive even against the final boss guy.

Zafir

True, but multiple wrongs don't make a right, so people will still complain. Especially when they force you to play it to unlock the ranked mode. Other fighting games you can totally ignore the single player if you wish.

Perineum

If it's worth anything I went from not being able to land a punch at the beginning of the day on difficulty 4 to breezing through at the end of the day. I don't know how that is anyrhing but skill improvement, certainly wouldn't be solely contributable to luck. I was also mindlessly playing while talking to my dad and wasn't playing defensive at all, I did really well. Maybe give it some more time and see if you catch on more.

On level 4 I got up to the match after the shoot the targets match. So match 4 ?

Spring Man on his stage refuses flat out to attack 99% of the time. He will let 15+ seconds of the timer go without doing shit. I try to throw? I get bopped. I try to do 1 hit into setting him up, I get bopped. I try to block to force him to do something, and he will insta throw me.

It's nuts. I am forced to be the offensive player here, but the game is giving me 0 opportunities to do just that. I try to be reactive to the AI, and it isn't having it.

I don't know what else I can learn or adapt to make it easier.

On level 4 I got up to the match after the shoot the targets match. So match 4 ?

Spring Man on his stage refuses flat out to attack 99% of the time. He will let 15+ seconds of the timer go without doing shit. I try to throw? I get bopped. I try to do 1 hit into setting him up, I get bopped. I try to block to force him to do something, and he will insta throw me.

It's nuts. I am forced to be the offensive player here, but the game is giving me 0 opportunities to do just that. I try to be reactive to the AI, and it isn't having it.

Maybe try approaching him and baiting him into a punch with dodge or jump.

Formless

If you only sent out one arm, you can still dodge his counter most of the time while your arm is in recovery

Zafir

You could try the mummy trick someone mentioned previously in the thread I guess. Keep guarding, and punish any throws that get chucked your way.

The game's AI is reading your button inputs and movement like any other fighting game. It's just ruthless here cuz unlike those other games you have to turtle a lot and make your shots count. The AI on higher difficulty is good at countering your every move. Almost too good.

Byte and Barq is kinda BS. I'm not saying he's OP or unfair but that dog is annoying as shit.

The kind of Barq and ByteI aspire to be!

Or I can give up after one day and call the game broken 😛

Are any of you playing with a shield for an arm? I've spent most of my playtimes today trying to work it into my Air B&B play. I'm kinda leaning how to throw it out there and then strike when the time is right. Interesting mechanic but one that's going to take some learning.

Zafir

The game's AI is reading your button inputs and movement like any other fighting game. It's just ruthless here cuz unlike those other games you have to turtle a lot and make your shots count. The AI on higher difficulty is good at countering your every move. Almost too good.

Not just that, but this game requires aiming to a certain extent too unlike other fighting games. The AI is always on target, you might not be. So it can be punishing.

Perineum

Maybe try approaching him and baiting him into a punch with dodge or jump.

If you only sent out one arm, you can still dodge his counter most of the time while your arm is in recovery

I wish I could upload people to see, and get input on what they feel I am doing wrong. I don't have a capture card to upload the Switch replay sadly.

If I get close though and try to bait with dodge and jumps---he does nothing. I can dodge 1000 times he doesn't care.

As for the one arm I send out, yes I try to automatically dodge and throw out my second, but it 9/10 times results in nothing. Either he dodges the second arm, they trade, or it whiffs.

I may come back to it later and try that Mummy trick. I genuinely feel real opponents would be a roll over in ranked compared to this though lol.

Grand Prix level 4 is fucking me up so much, I can't even fathom someone beating level 7. It doesn't seem physically possible. You can't make a single mistake.

I thought I was okay at the game, but I can't imagine ranked being harder than the AI here.

I wish I could upload people to see, and get input on what they feel I am doing wrong. I don't have a capture card to upload the Switch replay sadly.

If I get close though and try to bait with dodge and jumps---he does nothing. I can dodge 1000 times he doesn't care.

As for the one arm I send out, yes I try to automatically dodge and throw out my second, but it 9/10 times results in nothing. Either he dodges the second arm, they trade, or it whiffs.

I may come back to it later and try that Mummy trick. I genuinely feel real opponents would be a roll over in ranked compared to this though lol.

Hmm, I never ran into the problem you are describing.. that does sound extremely frustrating. Is it happening with multiple characters?

dvolovets

I'm playing as Kid Cobra and played through Lv. 4 Grand Prix right away without losing more than one match per encounter. Not sure where all the complaints about difficulty are coming from. It's challenging, but not unforgiving, especially if you've played fighting games before. I'm pretty bad at traditional fighting games like Street Fighter / Tekken, etc, and relatively decent at Smash Bros, for what it's worth...

I'm playing as Kid Cobra and played through Lv. 4 Grand Prix right away without losing more than one match per encounter. Not sure where all the complaints about difficulty are coming from. It's challenging, but not unforgiving.

I don't know, when I first started playing it felt impossible but I was able to catch on quickly enough. Did you play in the test punch at all? I feel like there is somewhat of a first day learning curve.

Yes but should Also know that this game doesn't have a story mode like those games.

I haven't read reviews but from listening to podcasts I was under the impression that it had some sort of campaign. I'll probably still get it because I'm interested in the game and I will get a chance to play split screen from time to time

Hell no. There's like, 1 game mode for single player. Maybe if they add something substantial later.

Hopefully they will add something

Perineum

Hmm, I never ran into the problem you are describing.. that does sound extremely frustrating. Is it happening with multiple characters?

Good call. I was only trying with Ninjara. I'll mix it up with a different character another time I try the game.

That's just my personality? It wasn't a PC sentence, but the guy who designed the AI in this game and then decided to lock ranked behind it needs to undergo serious pain. Prefer he get kicked in the nuts or shot in the knee. I didn't say he needs to die from the bullet.

I'll mix it up, and unlock some of the better arms for Mummy perhaps and try tomorrow on this. Stinks I'll lose my progress up to now though, but meh.

I'm playing as Kid Cobra and played through Lv. 4 Grand Prix right away without losing more than one match per encounter. Not sure where all the complaints about difficulty are coming from. It's challenging, but not unforgiving, especially if you've played fighting games before. I'm pretty bad at traditional fighting games like Street Fighter / Tekken, etc, and relatively decent at Smash Bros, for what it's worth...

Yeah it's challenging for me but not as terrible as it's being made out to be in some posts. I feel it's teaching me to tackle different situations differently.

RockmanBN

Level 7 Grand Prix sucks. Gotta be defensive at all costs with most of my damage being done by super attacks. Most matches end with time outs and thats where a majority of my wins come from. On round 11 and this is going to suck.

Not just that, but this game requires aiming to a certain extent too unlike other fighting games. The AI is always on target, you might not be. So it can be punishing.

"On target" is an understatement. The AI snipes you. Not only that but they sometimes know exactly where your gonna be and have you run directly into their punch.

dvolovets

I don't know, when I first started playing it felt impossible but I was able to catch on quickly enough. Did you play in the test punch at all? I feel like there is somewhat of a first day learning curve.

I played for maybe 30, 45 minutes during one of the Test Punch days. Definitely agree that there is a learning curve though!

KodaRuss

I dont have a problem beating really many of the characters but for some reason Spring Man just fucks my world up everytime. Trying to get through level 4

Top Bottom