• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Skrams

To a degree? This is the most blatant input reading I've ever encountered. It's shitty on rank 4 and only gets worse from there. Easily the worst fighting game AI of the past decade.
Sure, it's pretty blatant. I didn't really mean much to my word choice of, "to a degree." I'm just confirming with what I found to be undeniable proof that they read your inputs. I wish I had a screenshot too, but whatever.
I've been using Minmins dragon arm. You shield yourself and chargecit up and use the charged shot. It can break through grabs and blocks a lot of attacks. If you keep your distance you can whittle your opponent down.

It's not the most fun way to play, but I just want to unlock ranked and never touch Grand Prix again.

I use the dragon on her permacharged left arm for constant aggression. I'd recommend that if you're not doing it already.

So I try my first ranked match, with someone who's rank 4, and of course just as I'm about to win, he quits and I get nothing.

I cannot believe we are still getting fighting games with no penalty for rage quits. Street Fighter V's ranked mode was plagued with this shit for a long time and people complained about it non-stop until Capcom eventually fixed it.

Why on earth do devs still release games like this? It's only one match, but it really makes me not even feel like playing Ranked right now.

Did it not count as a win and you got coins? If so, weird. I figured it would be that way. I think I had opponents drop in the test punch and I got a win, but no idea how it is in the full game or ranked mode in particular.

So I try my first ranked match, with someone who's rank 4, and of course just as I'm about to win, he quits and I get nothing.

I cannot believe we are still getting fighting games with no penalty for rage quits. Street Fighter V's ranked mode was plagued with this shit for a long time and people complained about it non-stop until Capcom eventually fixed it.

Why on earth do devs still release games like this? It's only one match, but it really makes me not even feel like playing Ranked right now.

It blows my mind. It's like developers live in a weird bubble.

Dineren

Banned
Beat 4th level GP, played some ranked, and played a ton of party mode. I kind of wish there was a 1v1 unranked mode, but I've been enjoying myself anyway. It's too bad there is no spectating though.

I am a bit curious how long it will be until I hit a wall though. I am not big on experimenting so I've been using Sparky with Ribbon Girl and don't really want to change it up. I'm assuming this will eventually put me at a pretty big advantage against some of the arms with more utility.

DrDogg

Yeah. Lack of "casual" match really hurts. Hopefully that's one of the modes they add as DLC.

It's not doable if you try to play like you would against another player. I read your guide about cheesing it and that certainly makes it "easier," but still tedious as hell. It's terrible practice for online.

I'd definitely like to see a casual 1v1 match mode.

Level 7 I can play like I would against a skilled human player up until
Hedlok
. It's only then that I have to scale it back and just use single punches until I have Rush. But I get your point and it's valid.

Guess I can retract all those level 4 complaints. I had such a tough time with Master Mummy because I felt like I couldn't take a single hit without losing a big chunk of health.

Everyone after that first fight was a relative cake walk, even Hedlok didn't give me trouble. Just had to stay on him since he made no attempts to defend himself, but attacked constantly.

Formless

Even though the game has the same basic rock paper scissors the way the mechanics work are a lot different. The recovery for attacks is extremely high so you can't throw out attacks as easily. Side to side movement makes it even more important to fight conservatively.

I didn't play the demo and just bought the game. I lost to the first guy on difficulty 3. I need to practice a ton.

3 is pretty much this game's normal (at least I think) so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

This isn't the Smash Bros. difficulty scale.

But yeah, train or hang out in the party mode.

Yeah this game is severely lacking in SP content coming from Injustice 2. MP is fun, but I really hope they get those new content up quick.

Motion control is not as fun as I thought it would be :/

No way I can beat level 4 with it. But I manage to easily beat it with the regular control layout.

Jobbs

Banned
Does anyone who has played a fair amount prefer the motion controls? Why or why not?

I'm still just using motion because it's sort of fun, but I strongly suspect I'd be more competitive with the pro controller.

KingBroly

Banned
Uh...oh...okay...

Double KO against Headlok...cheap bastard hit me with his Super and I got 470 damage while I only needed 20. Cheap POS

Kudo

Didn't have much difficulties with clearing 4, lost one Skillshot and match against
Hedlok
, but I can definitely see where people are coming from.
I participated in each round during Testpunch so was more familiar with the game, can only imagine newcomers jumping to 4.

Hopefully in future they'll add more SP content and story to the game, enjoying it so far.

SalvaPot

Bought the game and the joy-cons but I don't have a Switch xD, a friend is coming over tomorrow and we are going to play it! So excited.

Riddler

Byte and Barq is kinda BS. I'm not saying he's OP or unfair but that dog is annoying as shit.

Yea don't know if it's been said but it's cheap how you can't even target him. Not saying unbeatable(don't think I lost yet to a human B&B player) but I'm sure it's a matter of time before he's top 3.

random25

Level 4 isn't so hard. A bit of game overs here and there but once you get the hang of it you can beat it.

Helps that Mechanica can take small hits without flinching against Hedlok.

Durden77

So when playin with a local friend online I keep having a problem where it's only letting one of us play sometimes.

Been playing the CPU ar work, forgot how much this game owns with people.

soultron

Banned
I cannot coordinate my own goddamned body enough to use the motion controls. Anyone else feel this way? Am I going to lose out on a lot by swapping to the Pro Controller?

So for those that have played online are there any characters that seem particularly weaker than others? I was thinking MM and Mechanica would be worse due to hitboxes.

ASaiyan

Banned
What's the highest rank anyone's seen/obtained so far? Do we have any idea what max is yet?

So far I'm at 7, but it's taken a few hours and a lot of sweat, lol.

maxcriden

Does anyone who has played a fair amount prefer the motion controls? Why or why not?

I'm still just using motion because it's sort of fun, but I strongly suspect I'd be more competitive with the pro controller.

I cannot coordinate my own goddamned body enough to use the motion controls. Anyone else feel this way? Am I going to lose out on a lot by swapping to the Pro Controller?

During the test punch I saw a lot of GAFers saying the button controls are better.

Damm, this game is hard.

In the testpunch I was always the one with the most points in the lobbys but some Level 4 computers kick my ass. Lol. Why can they always block my super while I can't do it the other way around?? ;_;

I briefly tried the pro controller for a match in one of the testpunches and I did terribly. I didn't find it at all intuitive and I've never tried it again since.

I think I'm doing alright with the motion controls. Cleared level 4 Grand Prix with only the final boss giving me any real trouble. Had some good wins online, etc.

I need to be able to properly direct and curve my punches and also spread my ARMS as wide as possible when going for a grab. The Pro Controller doesn't offer that as far as I know.

My biceps are also getting a nice workout so that's also a plus :D

EDIT: I should add that the main problem is keeping punches straight when I want them to be.

Damm, this game is hard.

In the testpunch I was always the one with the most points in the lobbys but some Level 4 computers kick my ass. Lol. Why can they always block my super while I can't do it the other way around?? ;_;

Either wait for them to commit to a punch before using your Rush Attack, or trigger it immediately when you land a hit.

Dineren

Banned
Can you hit Barq with regular attacks in ranked? I fought B&B a number of times in party mode and knocked him out with no problem, but I missed every punch (and it was a lot) in ranked and only got him with a rush attack.

3 is pretty much this game's normal (at least I think) so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

This isn't the Smash Bros. difficulty scale.

But yeah, train or hang out in the party mode.

Ah okay thanks. Yeah I'll keep at it. Mostly bought it to play local mp with people.

Top Bottom