• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

PKrockin

I'm getting a Switch soon and am wondering something. If I'm playing this game and use the detached joycons for motion controls in undocked mode, what does the screen rest on? Do I have to find something to prop it up with?

Totakeke

I'm getting a Switch soon and am wondering something. If I'm playing this game and use the detached joycons for motion controls in undocked mode, what does the screen rest on? Do I have to find something to prop it up with?

There's a kickstand at the back of your switch.

tried the game with motion controls. The blocking was just too imprecise to me and seemed to work only half the time.

Tried normal controls and the game improved 1000 percent. In more traditional controls, the game does exactly what I want it to do with great timing and precision. With motion controls, I felt like it could go 50/50 whether i'm at fault in a match, or the hardware.

molnizzle

tried the game with motion controls. The blocking was just too imprecise to me and seemed to work only half the time.

Tried normal controls and the game improved 1000 percent. In more traditional controls, the game does exactly what I want it to do with great timing and precision. With motion controls, I felt like it could go 50/50 whether i'm at fault in a match, or the hardware.

I kinda feel the opposite. I like the ease of movement with traditional controls, but my punches whiff waaaay more often. Motion controls are so much more precise for aiming. I often lose matches because I whiff punishes and then get punished myself. Very frustrating.

Chauzu

I'm fine with people preferring normal controls, but I do find it funny one of the most common complaints is blocking. 10 hours+ played now and never failed an intended block. If anything, angling punches is the more challenging part, even if I feel I keep improving.

Also, does anyone else here love the Cracker arm? Does good damage and it's the only arm I feel I can reliably hit when predicting my opponent's movement.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
great, now ARMS will have the same discussions like splatoon?

just play with whatever controller settings you like the most people :D!

some will be better with and some will be better without motion controls

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So I try my first ranked match, with someone who's rank 4, and of course just as I'm about to win, he quits and I get nothing.

I cannot believe we are still getting fighting games with no penalty for rage quits. Street Fighter V's ranked mode was plagued with this shit for a long time and people complained about it non-stop until Capcom eventually fixed it.

Why on earth do devs still release games like this? It's only one match, but it really makes me not even feel like playing Ranked right now.

For Honor implemented one this week.
Took 4 months of people hounding them for it.

Works pretty well though.
10 min matchmaking band for rage quitters.

Forkball

Someone please tell me how the fuck to beat Ninjara as Mechanica. My grab just goea through him and he dodges my ult multiple times in one session.

LegendX48

it ain't quite the same. Splatoon used motion to supplement the controls, with ARMS its either or not both which is kind of a shame. Standard controls have an advantage with movement and blocking but motion has the advantage with punches and curving them mid trajectory.

it ain't quite the same. Splatoon used motion to supplement the controls, with ARMS its either or not both which is kind of a shame. Standard controls have an advantage with movement and blocking but motion has the advantage with punches and curving them mid trajectory.

...and the ability to create a much wider grab spread.

What are the chances of Skatepark getting banned at tournaments?

I'm not too fond of the Ramen Bowl either.

Tain

innnteresting about the grab spread, didn't realize that was possible. Still probably sticking with traditional controls.

The game started clicking and I got Ranked mode unlocked. That'll be for tomorrow!

It's my impression that it's impossible to turn motion controls off except by using that stupid grip. I'm actually livid over this after trying to play with my friend, I've only got 1 pro controller. I might never actually play this game now.

jdstorm

Banned
Someone please tell me how the fuck to beat Ninjara as Mechanica. My grab just goea through him and he dodges my ult multiple times in one session.

Use the arm that shoots out 3 projectiles. It gives you a wider hit box and because it returns quickly it doesnt peanalise you much when you miss. You can use curved punches/wide punches to force Ninjara to dodge in a specific direction/plane and then punish him when he first appears post dodge.

In general you dont want to grab all that much unless it is a wide open opportunity.

Hylian7

Played a bit, did Grand Prix on level 4 with Twintelle. It was more challenging than I expected, but I pulled through.

I played some ranked matches, I love that you can queue while playing GP or Versus. I played 3 ranked matches and won 2, next win will definitely get me out of snail rank.

Overall I love the game so far, as I expected I would during the test punch. However it does kind of lack in single player content. I think the game is generally worth it if you want to play online, or have friends to play with locally, be it the same Switch or not.

Also I am team traditional controls. The motion controls work great and all, but the tactile feedback of the buttons just can't be best.

Played a bit, did Grand Prix on level 4 with Twintelle. It was more challenging than I expected, but I pulled through.

I played some ranked matches, I love that you can queue while playing GP or Versus. I played 3 ranked matches and won 2, next win will definitely get me out of snail rank.

Overall I love the game so far, as I expected I would during the test punch. However it does kind of lack in single player content. I think the game is generally worth it if you want to play online, or have friends to play with locally, be it the same Switch or not.

Really? I joined in as a snail to give it a go and it put me against rank 6 guys. I fought like two or three of them and I beat them each time, they never really wanted to do a rematch. Each win was like a new rank essentially lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
can someone tell me what the anti counter mission is supposed to teach me?

cuz it taught me that you're vulnerable when bouncing on the trampolines and it taught me how to timer scam

Someone help me understand what it was getting at.
I am a bit perplexed as well and can't said I've ever had my ass truly handed to me during a game's training mode before. There's more to this than I expected and that's an exciting thought but I also feel like I can't really begin playing the game until I understand what the goal is here and can beat Twintelle in this context consistently, which I'm not even close to being able to do. Surprised to only see one other posting about this.

JambiBum

As a B&B player, I hate any stage with elevation changes because it makes jumping on Barq pretty difficult because of the way he moves. It's especially annoying on the stairs stage and the bowl one. The other stages with elevation changes are manageable but those two cause me the most problems. Being able to properly bounce on Barq is such a huge factor in how well you can do that when you can't it becomes a struggle to win.

DrDogg

So for those that have played online are there any characters that seem particularly weaker than others? I was thinking MM and Mechanica would be worse due to hitboxes.

I think Byte & Barq are weak. They just lack mobility.

I guess I should qualify that I'm talking about every character with their default ARMS. I don't want to grind more than necessary so I want to beat Grand Prix with every character on rank 7 before I start to grind for coins.

Playing as Spring-Man against Byte and Barq in round 8... I'm calling BS that you can win that fight the same way you would against another human. That shit is impossible. Died probably 50 times on this fight alone.

I can do it with Twintelle. Spring Man is my secondary, so I could probably do it with him as well.

Can Mummy not dash to the side to get out of the way in time? Or jump?

Dashing out of throws is not the ideal way to avoid them. They have a deceptive hit box. It's best to punch them if they're anywhere near you.

Fumpster

Man, the AI is kicking my ass in this. I can't even hit the Ribbon Girl that's part of that dodging mission. Meanwhile, I win about 80% of my online matches.

Seems to be a common sentiment, but yeah.

tribal24

Banned
Yeah so I'm finally playing this game is defiantly like sfv in content no denying it. Game play is good though always negates content for me. I started playing as ribbon girl that triple jump though!!. Also do the arms have differences in how much damage each take, or do they all take the same damage with different gimmicks? Doesn't look like there's much difference in damage to me.

Vinci

Danish
Okay, I'm going to very candidly state the following: My brain does not want to understand this game. It does not want to curve punches using the same means as moving my character's body. I've never come across a game that actively forced me to 'rub my head and pat my tummy', and I'm not used to being so stymied by any sort of hand-eye coordination exercise.

At any rate, I'm going to keep trying in the days ahead. Just whining a bit, finding myself in very unfamiliar territory gaming-wise.

tribal24

Banned
Okay, I'm going to very candidly state the following: My brain does not want to understand this game. It does not want to curve punches using the same means as moving my character's body. I've never come across a game that actively forced me to 'rub my head and pat my tummy', and I'm not used to being so stymied by any sort of hand-eye coordination exercise.

At any rate, I'm going to keep trying in the days ahead. Just whining a bit, finding myself in very unfamiliar territory gaming-wise.

I suguest the slapamanders as they are longer and I notice they tend to curve more like a bit of homing compared to the other I played with so far. Are you using controller or motion?

So make your friend use it and you use your pro controller?

I mean I'll play it by myself later, and I'm not horribly opposed to motion controls, just right now I'm upset over it because I'm in the middle of installing hardwood flooring /stairs by myself. What I definitely don't want to use after moving thousands of pounds of lumber and nailing / manual labor for hours is motion controls.
Being slightly hyperbolic because I'm annoyed.

Vinci

Danish
I suguest the slapamanders as they are longer and I notice they tend to curve more like a bit of homing compared to the other I played with so far. Are you using controller or motion?

I've been limiting myself to the standard, more straight-line punching arms to get a hang for the overall mechanics. During the Testpunch, I typically would use slapamanders and the like, but always suspected I leaned on them more than I should and wanted to master the mechanics.

As for controller method, I'm using motion. Long term, I suspect traditional controls will put their users at a disadvantage, so I don't want to become reliant on them.

Unicorn

double fist the triple-hitting nerf fist. jump/hover and just spam it. beat 2 cheesy Ninjara's in ranked just now. They got salty and resorted to air dodge throw spam and the double nerfies stuffed it hard. Final match he tried to do the same to me, but I had other things to do thanks to mechanica boosters I still won out.

schopaia

I can beat level 1, 2, and 3 without issues.

The jump to 4 is insane.

I don't get the "strat" to beat it I guess. I can stand around doing literally nothing myself but dodging and the AI will stand there not caring. Eventually it will throw something out to bait me into a situation where if I try to punish then I eat shit.

I'm calm gang---just done with this game and gave it permanently to my daughter. I'll mess with it with her in co op for casual shenanigans, but yeah this is just lame game design.

Very childish response. I'll admit I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster with this game today but I'm certain it will take a few sessions before I'm willing to call it "lame game design". It's a pretty novel execution of a well worn concept, and DAY ONE won't be enough of a window to fairly evaluate it.

I will say that slo-mo replay mode is absolutely stunning if you're into character and effects animation.

JambiBum

I think Byte & Barq are weak. They just lack mobility.
I'm rank 7 as B&B so I don't think they are weak at all. The mobility comes from using barq correctly which most other B&B players don't seem to do. The only time I have a problem with mobility are on stages with large elevation changes because it makes it pretty difficult to properly jump on barq. The only time I really lose is on stages where I can't properly use him.

tribal24

Banned
I've been limiting myself to the standard, more straight-line punching arms to get a hang for the overall mechanics. During the Testpunch, I typically would use slapamanders and the like, but always suspected I leaned on them more than I should and wanted to master the mechanics.

As for controller method, I'm using motion. Long term, I suspect traditional controls will put their users at a disadvantage, so I don't want to become reliant on them.

For me there perfect and I'm equipping both slapamanders as I know I can't keep up wits straught lines, I'm making it up with the dodging lol but I'm also using the traditional controls as I'm not about that motion controller life.

Vinci

Danish
For me there perfect and I'm equipping both slapamanders as I know I can't keep up wits straught lines, I'm making it up with the dodging lol but I'm also using the traditional controls as I'm not about that motion controller life.

Understood, and I may go the traditional controls route eventually if I cannot get my brain to accommodate the motion controls.

My suspicion that they'll eventually become disadvantaged versus motion controls is based on the weaknesses of the two approaches: As far as I know, the biggest issue with motion controls is that they are perceived as 'not precise enough', while traditional controls cannot curve each individual punch as motion controls can.

The difference between these two weaknesses is that one will eventually be overcome, while the other is a strict limitation. People WILL become very, very precise with motion controls in time. At that point, the ability to uniquely control the curve of each arm will become insurmountable.

That said, those people may very well not include me. Heh.

Very childish response. I'll admit I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster with this game today but I'm certain it will take a few sessions before I'm willing to call it "lame game design". It's a pretty novel execution of a well worn concept, and DAY ONE won't be enough of a window to fairly evaluate it.

I will say that slo-mo replay mode is absolutely stunning if you're into character and effects animation.

Yes! I'm all about the slow mo replays... Especially since I'll be animating something starting next week I thought it was cool to see the frames 😁

Skrams

Got I think 22, 22, and 24 arms each with 3 long timers. I could of gotten 25 on the last one but whatever.

I can't believe the top dev score is 30,780 for that mode. My high score is 9510 or something. I mean, I know I'm not getting the full combo potential, but 30k is kind of nuts.

Pastry

Banned
As a B&B player, I hate any stage with elevation changes because it makes jumping on Barq pretty difficult because of the way he moves. It's especially annoying on the stairs stage and the bowl one. The other stages with elevation changes are manageable but those two cause me the most problems. Being able to properly bounce on Barq is such a huge factor in how well you can do that when you can't it becomes a struggle to win.

Yup, I think I'm going to stick with B&B as my main but the elevation can make it kind of a pain to jump on Barq sometimes.

DrDogg

Right, but the poster claimed he could not do that because the grabs were coming from the air.

Oh sorry. You jump first then punch. If they're too close then that's basically a guaranteed throw unless you read it and moved or punched preemptively, but if you jump as you attack you can usually land an interrupt.

I'm rank 7 as B&B so I don't think they are weak at all. The mobility comes from using barq correctly which most other B&B players don't seem to do. The only time I have a problem with mobility are on stages with large elevation changes because it makes it pretty difficult to properly jump on barq. The only time I really lose is on stages where I can't properly use him.

How are you mobile? You have an average dash and a slow-ish jump speed. At best you can jump on Barq, but one punch and he's out for almost 10 seconds.

Got I think 22, 22, and 24 arms each with 3 long timers. I could of gotten 25 on the last one but whatever.

I can't believe the top dev score is 30,780 for that mode. My high score is 9510 or something. I mean, I know I'm not getting the full combo potential, but 30k is kind of nuts.

After you collect all of the Arms and upgrades you get a lot more extended time.

Top Bottom