• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DrDogg

I agree that playing against the CPU is not fun. Too bad ranked is locked and there's no 1v1 in unranked mode.

This game is so disappointing on all fronts. Maybe in six months with updates it will be good, but if you're on the fence now, stay away.

No offense, but accessing ranked likely won't help you if you don't like fighting the AI. Most of the good players in ranked will make you suffer far more than the AI on level 4 difficulty.

I've gotten Perfects on people and had some players just give up toward the end of a match. Not rage quitting, they just stop moving because they know they can't win. In fact, 90% of the matches I've lost (I haven't lost much), it was so laggy that I'd think I evaded a punch just to get smacked in the face... and I still won a few matches despite the lag.

Bottom line, if you don't like this game because of "cheap" AI and ranked being locked behind Grand Prix (which I agree is dumb), then you either need to get better or just move on. Things won't be any easier in 6 months.

Uhm, first many people already defeated level 4 AI. It's hard, but not that hard. It is simple as countering the AI's punches.

Motion controls has better control on the trajectory and grab range. You can watch the video of the exibition fight between the Champ of the ARMS invitational and the producer Mr. yabuki. Mr. yabuki moves effortless.

That invitational was a joke. Zerk was the best player there, but I fought a good number of people in the second Test Punch that were far better than him. Yabuki knew what he was doing, but nothing he did was impressive aside from his stage bounce combo into Rush... which while fun to watch, really wasn't optimal if you examine the situation.

hamchan

Default Ribbon Girl with shocky gloves seems really amazing to me.

Very easy to get charge because you just have to jump and if you get a hit with the charged shocky gloves you stun the enemy and then that seems like a guaranteed follow up throw every time. Which all up is 230 damage in one go.

Went like on a 10+ win streak in ranked just doing that.

Speely

Banned
Hey ARMSGAF. How does everyone feel about motion vs traditional now that we have had some time to really play the game?

DKL

Hey ARMSGAF. How does everyone feel about motion vs traditional now that we have had some time to really play the game?

My opinion hasn't really changed.

If your execution is good enough, go with motion.

(like, if you can consistently guard cancel your dashes perfectly, then by all means go with this scheme... I'm not saying it's not possible, but I am saying that it's very very hard relative to the other option)

If not, I would highly recommend going with traditional.

But, at the end of the day, just choose what works for you I guess.

There's like maybe one or two options that's different between both schemes, but most players won't even know what this is since they haven't explored both enough lol

I prefer using traditional controls but there are clear advantages and disadvantages to both.

Motion controls seem to give you more controls over your punches and throws, but (for me at least) its difficult to to get precise movement.

Traditional controls let you move exactly as you want, but you can't widen your throw range. The biggest problem is that guard is done by clicking in the thumbstick which makes the thumb tire after a few matches.

The game really needs remapping options

Forkball

No offense, but accessing ranked likely won't help you if you don't like fighting the AI. Most of the good players in ranked will make you suffer far more than the AI on level 4 difficulty.

Bottom line, if you don't like this game because of "cheap" AI and ranked being locked behind Grand Prix (which I agree is dumb), then you either need to get better or just move on. Things won't be any easier in 6 months
The AI does things people simply can't. Losing to an human player, while frustrating of course, still allows me to learn from them and of course some people are just better. No shame in getting stomped against someone who is just that good. But the AI has so many perfect counters, blocks, and dodges that it becomes an exercise in trying to trick it than learning how to play the game. I've played a lot of fighting games so I'm aware of input reading and general BS, but I feel ARMS takes it to another level.

I'm don't want to keep complaining, so I won't post here again until I unlock ranked mode and have a few matches in there. But beyond my thoughts on the AI, I expected more from this game. The one on one fighting is fun. There is a solid foundation here. But locking ranked mode, having no casual 1v1, most party mode games being a cluster, acquiring arms being slow and largely random, flaws in all control schemes, being unable to map buttons... the core fun idea is swamped by poor decisions.

Speely

Banned

(like, if you can consistently guard cancel your dashes perfectly, then by all means go with this scheme... I'm not saying it's not possible, but I am saying that it's very very hard relative to the other option)

There's like maybe one or two options that's different between both schemes, but most players won't even know what this is since they haven't explored both enough lol

I prefer using traditional controls but there are clear advantages and disadvantages to both.

Motion controls seem to give you more controls over your punches and throws, but (for me at least) its difficult to to get precise movement.

Traditional controls let you move exactly as you want, but you can't widen your throw range. The biggest problem is that guard is done by clicking in the thumbstick which makes the thumb tire after a few matches.

The game really needs remapping options

Yeah I pretty much agree with both of you. I like motion controls, but it has been tricky to lock in fluid, natural movement. At the same time I find that I don't have as many on-the-fly options in traditional.

Btw, WOW players have gotten better since the Testpunch! I used to raise an eyebrow when I lost. Now I just shrug lol.

Jumped straight into level 4.
Not sure what people fussing about if they played the test punch....
DCg5rDZUwAANznO

jts

...hate me...
I'm really feeling it now. No longer aimlessly flailing arms. Actually merking noobs for fun.

So glad this game exists.

Raysoul

That invitational was a joke. Zerk was the best player there, but I fought a good number of people in the second Test Punch that were far better than him. Yabuki knew what he was doing, but nothing he did was impressive aside from his stage bounce combo into Rush... which while fun to watch, really wasn't optimal if you examine the situation.

Zerk is ok, but Yabuki is damn good. His movement is on point, evading left and right. He also knows how to utilize Twintelle's slow which most of the online players just spam it. Of course there are better people than him right now, but I am responding to a person who dismisses motion controls, which Yabuki used on the match.

Speely

Banned
Zerk is ok, but Yabuki is damn good. His movement is on point, evading left and right. He also knows how to utilize Twintelle's slow which most of the online players just spam it. Of course there are better people than him right now, but I am responding to a person who dismisses motion controls, which Yabuki used on the match.

Yeah, watching Yabuki play at the end of the Treehouse stream just reinforced this. He is a patient, solid player who actually reads his opponent.

I guess that's easier when you were there from day one.

I would like to see him try level 7 Grand Prix. We should make a petition.

ggx2ac

I have.

First, mapping Guard to the Left Stick button really sucks. There were so many times I could have blocked a Rush in ranked matches but instead dashed because of how unintuitive it is. So motion controls are better with regards to blocking.

Motion controls are still better with regards to punches because I can independently throw punches in different directions very quickly.

I can't act as fast with Pro Controller unless I was aiming the same direction in the first place, it's not too bad at the moment since enemies jump so much that I have to throw the second punch later to make sure it hits them where they land.

The only advantage the Pro Controller has with movement is when moving back specifically, that's it. It's hard to move back with motion controls without throwing a punch.

The situation with the above refers to Min Min, she can do her kick that deflects a punch if you press Back + Dash, it's hard to pull off quickly with motion controls because you may end up throwing a punch.

That's the only advantage the Pro Controller has, motion controls still work find for movement in all other directions including moving back, it's just if you want to deflect attacks with Min Min it's a little more difficult.

Raysoul

The AI does things people simply can't. Losing to an human player, while frustrating of course, still allows me to learn from them and of course some people are just better. No shame in getting stomped against someone who is just that good. But the AI has so many perfect counters, blocks, and dodges that it becomes an exercise in trying to trick it than learning how to play the game. I've played a lot of fighting games so I'm aware of input reading and general BS, but I feel ARMS takes it to another level.

I'm don't want to keep complaining, so I won't post here again until I unlock ranked mode and have a few matches in there. But beyond my thoughts on the AI, I expected more from this game. The one on one fighting is fun. There is a solid foundation here. But locking ranked mode, having no casual 1v1, most party mode games being a cluster, acquiring arms being slow and largely random, flaws in all control schemes, being unable to map buttons... the core fun idea is swamped by poor decisions.

I don't know how to put this on better words, but maybe you are not that good, or you don't have the patience of a fighting gamer? The game just got out, there is no shame in admitting that. To be good, you must first admit that you have flaws. I'm not a top tier fighting gamer, but I got through level 4.

Has anyone outside Japan Vs someone from Japan yet? just wanting to know if they region locked the matchmaking.
Party Mode is for all regions.

Ranked Matches are regional and seem very strict for what i' ve seen from videos. Strict because connection quality and player level are given high priority. An when i say regional i mean regional even within a big contry like US, it "SEEMS" from my perspective. Good decision on ARMS team.

I'm don't want to keep complaining, so I won't post here again until I unlock ranked mode and have a few matches in there. But beyond my thoughts on the AI, I expected more from this game. The one on one fighting is fun. There is a solid foundation here. But locking ranked mode, having no casual 1v1, most party mode games being a cluster, acquiring arms being slow and largely random, flaws in all control schemes, being unable to map buttons... the core idea is fun but swamped by poor decisions.
Actually the controls are very well thought out for balancing purposes between the different control methods, of course the are some things that could be better. But i won't point then out again because i' ve done it several times in the past. However i will say this again:

ARMS can't allow full control remaps like you request. Doing so will degrade the viability of a control scheme to the point of irrelevance. The game seems to me a clear passion project with motion controls in mind with the concesion of button controls to both accomodate the Switch portable mode and alieante as few people as possible.

Which only benefits people who live in countries that have large userbases, i.e. US.

I'm not expecting that many people to still be playing ranked mode after six months with regards to where I live.

Edit: This is why having the option to choose regions would be nice.
They striked the correct balance since they do offer chocie to some degree.

Party for people everywhere. You' ll have an easier time to find someone to play with.

Now, the game is being advertised as mostly a motion control game so far.

Lag in matches + Motion Controls = Disaster for the game's reputation.

Some people critisize and unfairly classify the game controls without giving it a fair shake or even understanding them. Imagine these guys having ranked matches with a doze of lag throwed in.

Players that go for ranked are the ones that have the inclination to be more dedicated towards the game. So it increases your chances to find a dedicated group around your region even some time after the games release.

Also People in small contries have the chance of better connections due to proximity.

So again, the ARMS team logic to handle the World vs Regional matchmaking is sound for now.

ggx2ac

Party Mode is for all regions.

Ranked Matches are regional and seem very strict for what i' ve seen from videos. Strict because connection quality and player level are given high priority. An when i say regional i mean regional even within a big contry like US, it "SEEMS" from my perspective. Good decision on ARMS team.

Which only benefits people who live in countries that have large userbases, i.e. US.

I'm not expecting that many people to still be playing ranked mode after six months with regards to where I live.

Edit: This is why having the option to choose regions would be nice.

Moondrop

Banned
Do we have mod approval to start dropping "git gud" in this thread? ;)

Personally I can only beat level 4 with Twintelle using standard arms so far. I can get to the final boss with Mechanica but take too much punishment.

But I kind of love that there's a discrete hurdle to enter Ranked. This game has a chance to make us all better at fighting games; let it.

can someone tell me what the anti counter mission is supposed to teach me?

cuz it taught me that you're vulnerable when bouncing on the trampolines and it taught me how to timer scam

Someone help me understand what it was getting at.

I am a bit perplexed as well and can't said I've ever had my ass truly handed to me during a game's training mode before. There's more to this than I expected and that's an exciting thought but I also feel like I can't really begin playing the game until I understand what the goal is here and can beat Twintelle in this context consistently, which I'm not even close to being able to do. Surprised to only see one other posting about this.

I think the purpose is to teach you how to beat DrDogg, i.e. someone who never makes the first move. Presumably the most advanced training as it's last.

Seems like you have to make the first move (likely unsuccessful), avoid her counter, then land a follow-up somehow. I can beat her by punishing with a super and then mirroring, but that's all I got. If you just treat it as a fight, it's way harder than level 4.

jts

...hate me...
Was recovering from a 4-8 in Hoops into a 7-8 into a last second on the buzzer grab, only for it to hit the rim and bounce off 😣

Bullshit.

jts

...hate me...
In this 1v1v1 this guy was keep coming for me while I just wanted to get rid of the other guy on +3 50% handicap. By the end of it, the timer was running out and the +3 guy was the HP leader (not by much) so I try a last ditch effort to get him but the other guy went to KO me in the last instant when that just gave the +3 guy a sure win.

That was the most aggravated I've been in ARMS, thankfully there isn't a chat in the game or it would get ugly 🤣

Also thankfully, that guy going for me got drawn in 1v1 vs me right after that. Finished his whole career!

Chauzu

I'm surprised at how hard many have for lvl 4 GP. I wasn't exactly lighting the world up in the Testpunches but I beat it losing just a few times before Hedlok, which naturally took a few tries of its own.

Biske

I'm surprised at how hard many have for lvl 4 GP. I wasn't exactly lighting the world up in the Testpunches but I beat it losing just a few times before Hedlok, which naturally took a few tries of its own.

Its just too fucking hard for your first entry into it. You think ah 4 should be pretty basic, pretty normal kinda breezy... nooooooope.

I tried with Byte and Barq and I just couldn't fucking beat springman. I'm playing Twintelle to cheese it, but still a fucking challenge

Top Bottom