• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Chauzu

I thought popping Rush was supposed to cancel any thrown punches from your enemy? B&B is still nailing me with the yellow missile thing and cancelling my Rush.

I don't want to play against motion control players. They can easily block punches with other punches and then punish. That shit is insanely difficult with traditional controls because movement and punch curving is on the same stick. Motion controls have a clear advantage in this game.

I'm only motion control so others would need to give their views on that but yes having less control of both punches is one of the tradeoffs for normal controls. The accuracy with the curve is greater tho, with motion you can always fail something simple as not curving a punch.

FaintDeftone

Unlocking ranked mode by beating Grand Prix at difficulty 4 or higher is kind of bullshit. I really feel like it isn't necessary to unlock it this way. I understand Nintendo wants players to get the feel of higher level play before you jump in but I haven't experienced an online fighter that's half as cheap as the AI can be. Given, I won't spend much time in Ranked anyway since Party Mode is MUCH more fun, but it's still annoying.

Doorman

I thought popping Rush was supposed to cancel any thrown punches from your enemy? B&B is still nailing me with the yellow missile thing and cancelling my Rush.

I don't want to play against motion control players. They can easily block punches with other punches and then punish. That shit is insanely difficult with traditional controls because movement and punch curving is on the same stick. Motion controls have a clear advantage in this game.

Rush doesn't negate all punches, it emits a little shockwave of sorts that will deflect anything that was particularly nearby you. It's possible that the Seekie was still out of range when you activated rush but curved around to hit just afterward.

KingBroly

Banned
Byte and Barq has to have the 2nd most annoying AI. That damn dog, man. They should have less health because of it.

Is there a Tackling Dummy mode?

Chauzu

Unlocking ranked mode by beating Grand Prix at difficulty 4 or higher is kind of bullshit. I really feel like it isn't necessary to unlock it this way. I understand Nintendo wants players to get the feel of higher level play before you jump in but I haven't experienced an online fighter that's half as cheap as the AI can be. Given, I won't spend much time in Ranked anyway since Party Mode is MUCH more fun, but it's still annoying.

To be honest I've faced some rank 1 people who are so bad I can't imagine they even beat level 4, and they just get a real beating in ranked. I can understand they wanted some barrier to access ranked, espescially since they used the same approach in Splatoon, and ARMS is sharing the same model in access to content.

molnizzle

To be honest I've faced some rank 1 people who are so bad I can't imagine they even beat level 4, and they just get a real beating in ranked. I can understand they wanted some barrier to access ranked, espescially since they used the same approach in Splatoon, and ARMS is sharing the same model in access to content.

It sucks though because there's no way for players to start playing 1v1 online without beating ranked 4, and to beat ranked 4 you have to at least be competent at the game. There's no way to just jump online and play with other scrubs in 1v1 without items. That's a major flaw imo.

LProtag

It sucks though because there's no way for players to start playing 1v1 online without beating ranked 4, and to beat ranked 4 you have to at least be competent at the game. There's no way to just jump online and play with other scrubs in 1v1 without items. That's a major flaw imo.

Party Mode is essentially scrubland, if that's what you're looking for. No 2 out of 3 matches though.

KingBroly

Banned
Difficulty summary so far, IMO
1-2: pretty easy
3: A little harder, but fun
4: MURDEROUS HELL

I need to find a way to grind Coins. There's not a lot of videos on youtube for ARMS yet

Chauzu

To be honest, compared to Smash, items in ARMS are actually decent even if you play competetively casual. They add some strategy to matches and encourages risk taking to get an advantage. I do agree the game lacks options in general tho, as expected from the Mario Kart team.

Dragon arms worked on fucking Headlock lol. After 2 hours of using Megawatt and Ramram, Dragon arms won it in two matches... Now goodbye grand prix!!!!!!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Agreed.

I'd already played the testpunch a lot so I was already at a certain level anyway. First thing I did in this game was go straight to lvl4 grand prix and I only lost 1 match which was against Hedlok. So for me it's not that big a deal and it means I was facing appropriate opponents in ranked from the off. But I definitely see the issue for people new to the game. Noobs should be able to play ranked against other noobs.

FaintDeftone

As for the controls, I feel like both methods have trade-offs.

Motion controls are much easier to curve and control your punches, but harder to maneuver around.

Physical controls are more accurate and tighter with moving around the arena and dodging, but getting those punches where you want them is harder since everything is tied to one stick.

Honestly, I prefer the physical controls since movement is much more important than punch placement in my mind, but it still sucks that there is a trade-off to begin with.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it's definitely flawed.

gunstarhero

Before I spend some in game currency on in the Get Arms shop, what does "Timer" mean? I see short, med and long - but I was expecting to see different arms. A little confused.

molnizzle

As for the controls, I feel like both methods have trade-offs.

Motion controls are much easier to curve and control your punches, but harder to maneuver around.

Physical controls are more accurate and tighter with moving around the arena and dodging, but getting those punches where you want them is harder since everything is tied to one stick.

Honestly, I prefer the physical controls since movement is much more important than punch placement in my mind, but it still sucks that there is a trade-off to begin with.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it's definitely flawed.

Thing is, the difficulty of movement with motion controls is something that can be overcome. Through practice you can eventually become more accurate with your movements. You can "git gud" at motion controls with enough time and effort.

With traditional controls, you're never going to be able to independently control the curve of each arm. It's impossible. There's no getting around it. You've only got one stick.

In the long run, motion controls are an advantage.

zenspider

So you think motion controls are better and don't use them? Huh.

Already I can see myself growing to hate the rush mechanic, well I already figured this during the test punch but it's more apparent now.

Now to figure out what type of arms I like, which elements work for me (and what they actually all do), which character skill suits me and what type of control I should push on with....well I'm lost.

Biske

Before I spend some in game currency on in the Get Arms shop, what does "Timer" mean? I see short, med and long - but I was expecting to see different arms. A little confused.

To get arms you play the skill shot game. You chose how much time you will have.

In my experience, save up at least for medium.

I usually got 1 arm in the short.

But have been getting 4-5 in medium.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Level 4 Grand Prix was not that much of a problem. I lost once or twice...until that final fight. I'm still not done with that.

Using the pro controller I really love the game. I'm flying as ribbon girl. It's awesome

Yukinari

You also wont learn shit because any difficulty above 4 means the AI will read your attacks and you eventually have to figure out how to cheese them.

Fighting a real person is a whole different experience so you gain very little from doing grand prix aside from coins. The AI is also inconsistent. I beat level 5 and breezed through it except the fight with Max Brass. He was harder than any fight in my session, even harder than hedlock.

Oh yeah and no button remapping is asinine in a fighting game.

I'm fine with people preferring normal controls, but I do find it funny one of the most common complaints is blocking. 10 hours+ played now and never failed an intended block. If anything, angling punches is the more challenging part, even if I feel I keep improving.

Also, does anyone else here love the Cracker arm? Does good damage and it's the only arm I feel I can reliably hit when predicting my opponent's movement.

I *really* love the traditional non-motion controls. That said, I'm a fighting game guy and i'm surprised by how well this plays. However, I have a wife who is NOT a gamer and I would love her to try the game. I"m going to need to do the motion controls and get good at them so I can show her how something works consistently. Does anyone know how to get back to the training that the game throws at you when you first boot it up? I've not been able to find it in the menu and that tutorial seems like the best way to goof around in the game learning the motion controls without penalty or weird side games.

Totakeke

It will go through any punch, but if a punch is landing as you perform a rush the rush will be cancelled.

I think it's more like if a throw is about to hit you, it will cancel it. But if it's not quite yet hitting you, and that could be due to lag, you will get thrown after you activate rush. I don't believe it cancels punches because you can choose to rush and just block. It's your punches that get stronger and cancel the opposing punches. But they still have to connect to cancel.

Level 4 Grand Prix was not that much of a problem. I lost once or twice...until that final fight. I'm still not done with that.

Using the pro controller I really love the game. I'm flying as ribbon girl. It's awesome

This fight is REALLY pissing me off.

Edit: WTF both times I had gotten him down to no life left but I can't land a final punch on him. Fuck.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This game is really good. I can't believe I almost didn't buy it. It's REALLY hard, though.

My first online match was a double KO. Those probably happen often in this.

Totakeke

Why can't I change the colour of my character? I'm pressing the left stick, holding it down, moving it, nothing is happening :(

If you press down on your left analog stick, and then tilt left/right and you're not actually changing characters, you can then press A to select a different color. If you tilt left/right normally without pressing the stick down, you will move to the next character, if you did it right, you won't be moving on your select.

Oregano

It's fine 80% of the time but then AI seemingly decides it needs to teach you a lesson.

I'm not the best at fighting games but this is just brutal.

buttdiver

Played some ranked mode today. Felt pretty good fighting and beating a rank 5 and 4 but then got my shit pushed in by the next 3 rank 2's. Now I'm so tilted I have to step away from the game a bit. Fuk some tactics like running away with long distance electric shots like Mechanica.

saturnine

Playing well with Kid Cobra feels so good. Didn't expect to like him that much. Seems he's quite popular, along with B&B.

Surprised by the low amount of Twintelle players though, with all the noise there was around her. Mechanica/Helix/Master Mummy are really rare too.

A.J.

Banned
Min Min's dragons seem really good on Ribbon Girl and Twintelle's stages since the obstruction makes it easier to keep your opponent at a distance.

molnizzle

If you had 4 controllers, though...

Can you even do the training match with 4 players though? And if so, wouldn't you then need to beat 3 opponents to net the amount of coins you'd normally get for beating the same opponent twice in 2 different matches?

Biske

Playing well with Kid Cobra feels so good. Didn't expect to like him that much. Seems he's quite popular, along with B&B.

Surprised by the low amount of Twintelle players though, with all the noise there was around her. Mechanica/Helix/Master Mummy are really rare too.

I've been swapping between Twintelle, Byte and Barq and Mechanica.

Twintelle feels the best for me and I feel I utilize her abilities well. But playing any other character and realizing I don't have the witch time dodge/charge is rough. Specially as I'm not a natural blocker and prefer to just move and punch.

Perineum

I beat rank 4 grand prix last night thanks to the tips here. Really I just did all time outs. Dodged everything or the AI and I stared each other down until like 30 seconds later it threw out one throw that I counter throwed to keep the life lead till the end.

The final boss I was worried about since there is no timing him out, but I won it on my first try by just doing a lot of jump throws.

The world of ranked is mine lol.

KingBroly

Banned
Can you even do the training match with 4 players though? And if so, wouldn't you then need to beat 3 opponents to net the amount of coins you'd normally get for beating the same opponent twice in 2 different matches?

Like Smash, you have 1v1v1v1 in Arms, so you could probably just double up on 2 separate controllers then pair it down to 1 after that. It'd probably take 50-60 seconds, though instead of the 20 he's proposing there.

Top Bottom