• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

molnizzle

Like Smash, you have 1v1v1v1 in Arms, so you could probably just double up on 2 separate controllers then pair it down to 1 after that. It'd probably take 50-60 seconds, though instead of the 20 he's proposing there.

I know there's 1v1v1v1 in normal battle, just wondering about training mode. I have a Pro controller and an 8bitdo so technically I could do it if it was available. Just wondering if it would actually be faster.

ngower

Would it be against ToS to create a poll thread asking what control method people prefer (and why) for this game? Genuinely curious to see where people are falling into line.

Not even gonna lie I just beat Hedlok and I feel that I did it because he didn't use the hammer arms on me for two of the 3 rounds we played each other. Those hammers just kept wrecking me every single time.

phanphare

Banned
it's funny when the testpunches were happening I was getting kind of bored of party mode wanting to try out everything else

now that the game is out party mode is the mode I'm gravitating to most

TeegsD

My absolute favorite thing to do is to finally take the lead with <8 seconds left and play keep away the rest of the round. Sooooo good

Had this game pre-ordered for months and freaking BestBuy failed me on release day delivery. Delivery date has been changed to Monday. First world problems and all, but I'm really tempted to buy another copy just for this weekend. Am I crazy or should I just wait it out?

ngower

Had this game pre-ordered for months and freaking BestBuy failed me on release day delivery. Delivery date has been changed to Monday. First world problems and all, but I'm really tempted to buy another copy just for this weekend. Am I crazy or should I just wait it out?

If you can get a copy easily just buy it then when BB order comes in use that copy to return the other.

Heavy arms are nice way of mitigating Hedlok's shenanigans when you first start off. But definitely keep your distance when possible. Triblast is useful as well.

cljVhfz.gif

Why don't you guys just perfect Headlok like I did?
Sure why not?

yh4YopSl.jpg

Which only benefits people who live in countries that have large userbases, i.e. US.

I'm not expecting that many people to still be playing ranked mode after six months with regards to where I live.

Edit: This is why having the option to choose regions would be nice.
Where are you located?

The game isn't locked by country if that's what you're thinking btw.

ngower

So, what's the verdict GAF? Everyone enjoying this game?

Consensus seems to be that there's plenty of fun to be had, motion controls are tight but keypad controls make it harder to curve punches, the AI is pretty challenging inasumuch as it is in need of some tweaks to limit how cheap it can be, people are frustrated that ranked online is locked behind said cheap AI but seem to have fun when they face people who don't spam throws, there seems to be a little lacking in the single-player department, and some people crave amiibo. Overall the 7.5/8 reviews for the game seem a fair assessment.

This seems like a game that you can definitely enjoy now, but I think it may not be fully realized until the end of the summer or into the fall when more updates, DLC and tweaks are out.

This seems like a game that you can definitely enjoy now, but I think it may not be fully realized until the end of the summer or into the fall when more updates, DLC and tweaks are out.

This & the fear of breaking my tv or switch because of the AI is preventing me from buying it today.

Really tempting but for once, Gaffers saved me some money I think.

ngower

This & the fear of breaking my tv or switch because of the AI is preventing me from buying it today.

Really tempting but for once, Gaffers saved me some money I think.

Full disclosure: I'm just playing it until Splatoon 2 comes out at which point it's shelved until the updates come out. I just needed something to play and while I enjoyed NieR, it was a bit too heady after a long day at work.

[EDIT] I'll add that it seems like a game that would be a pho king blast at parties, but I don't have any friends so I don't know what that's like.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hmm? I'm curious: what don't you like about Buster Beach?

It feels like it limits movement which, apparently, is a key to my success because I'm trying my 5th rum through of the GP and I'm stuck on Byte and Barq worse than I got stuck in Hedlock in my other playthroughs. I might suck with Twintelle, maybe, but this stage just seems so damn cramped.

So, what's the verdict GAF? Everyone enjoying this game?
Controls are good (with some nitpicks), SP content is barebones, AI cheeses extensively on higher difficulties, people who just want to play ranked right away seem upset.

Viable MP tactics still seem unknown, despite assertions to the contrary

Full disclosure: I'm just playing it until Splatoon 2 comes out at which point it's shelved until the updates come out. I just needed something to play and while I enjoyed NieR, it was a bit too heady after a long day at work.

That was another fear I had. buying a 80 dollar game now and in a few weeks shelved because of splatoon 2 (which I am planning to buy).

Off topic but really looking forward to Splatoon 2 as I never played the first one.

It feels like it limits movement which, apparently, is a key to my success because I'm trying my 5th rum through of the GP and I'm stuck on Byte and Barq worse than I got stuck in Hedlock in my other playthroughs. I might suck with Twintelle, maybe, but this stage just seems so damn cramped.

Ah, I see. It is a bit cramped, I suppose. It worked in my favor when I fought Master Mummy as B&B, we cornered MM rather quickly, which seemed to panic his AI a bit.

I think my favorite thing so far was seeing AI Twintelle use her Stage Presence to slow one of my grabs to a halt, only to have no escape plan and get dunked anyway.

Moondrop

Banned
Helix testing:

I'm starting to see the concept behind Helix's starting arms against low-level AI. Shield can actually block throws and force movement, and you can toss out a dragon or blorb where they're headed. And the shield pairs well with Helix's stationary position while stretched.

Makes sense, but in practice all three arms hang out there forever, limiting your movement and preventing blocking. And none are good for quickly interrupting a throw. Haven't yet scored any new arms for him.

I also have a suspicion that Helix is more suited to joycons than pro controller.

Fun fact 1: I unlocked the shield on Ribbon Girl and it totally cripples your movement. She can't fastfall with it out and her jumps have a stilted animation.

Fun fact 2: You can bounce your throws with double blorbs.

Helix testing:

I'm starting to see the concept behind Helix's starting arms against low-level AI. Shield can actually block throws and force movement, and you can toss out a dragon or blorb where they're headed. And the shield pairs well with Helix's stationary position while stretched.

Makes sense, but in practice all three arms hang out there forever, limiting your movement and preventing blocking. And none are good for quickly interrupting a throw. Haven't yet scored any new arms for him.

I also have a suspicion that Helix is more suited to joycons than pro controller.

Fun fact 1: I unlocked the shield on Ribbon Girl and it totally cripples your movement. She can't fastfall with it out and her jumps have a stilted animation.

Helix is interesting in that his ARMS work very well with a sedentary "never leave Stretch Stance" playstyle, but not so much if he tries to get mobile. I don't think his ARMS would work very well with anybody else barring MAYBE Master Mummy.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Helix testing:

I played a really good Helix player earlier and he basically avoided all my punches by ducking. He didn't use any of the starting arms for him though. On that note, is there a way to aim your arms high or low? Playing him was really frustrating.

heringer

Enjoying the game, but I wish you could use other button than press the analog stick to defend. Also, moving around with motion controls are just not precise enough. Game doesn't have a perfect control scheme, which is a shame. Would be easy to solve by allowing control customization.

Oh well, I just unlocked ranked. Will go online for the first time later today. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i cant understand how anyone plays this game without motion control. to me it IS the game.

I played a really good Helix player earlier and he basically avoided all my punches by ducking. He didn't use any of the starting arms for him though. On that note, is there a way to aim your arms high or low? Playing him was really frustrating.

Some ARMS can be curved up and down, but not all. Who are you playing as primarily? A Squashed Helix can be hit more easily from the air, and his low stance makes it difficult for him to do anything about it other than throw out a Guardian if he has one.

Biske

I don't understand how anyone plays this game without an analog stick. Like, how are you consistently moving around how you want with speed and accuracy?

You just tilt.

Can't lie, seems like some psycho shit to play this game with out motion controls.

It's ARMS, with ya arms!!! Ya nuts

JonnyKong

Ugh I really wanted to like using the motion controls, but I just play better with the pro, I hate myself.

I don't think I've been beaten by Bark n Byte online yet, he must be a tough character to master.

Top Bottom