• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Ugh I really wanted to like using the motion controls, but I just play better with the pro, I hate myself.

I don't think I've been beaten by Bark n Byte online yet, he must be a tough character to master.

Yeah, B&B are kinda tricky. I'm not too good with em yet, but I can tell Barq will probably be hated if folks start mastering his presence and abilities. Especially the super-high jump Byte can get off of Barq; it essentially negates the "I have the high ground" moments common in Ninja College and Ramen Bowl.

Moondrop

Banned
Helix is interesting in that his ARMS work very well with a sedentary "never leave Stretch Stance" playstyle, but not so much if he tries to get mobile. I don't think his ARMS would work very well with anybody else barring MAYBE Master Mummy.
Yeah, you can perfect the lvl 1 Grand Prix opponents (and get 2 coins per round) in perma-stretch stance. Amusing but then you don't get to duck.

And agreed, I want to see Mummy with shield. But lots of people like dragon arms (not me personally), and blorb is growing on me (unlocked for Mechanica, let's see how it trolls).

I played a really good Helix player earlier and he basically avoided all my punches by ducking. He didn't use any of the starting arms for him though. On that note, is there a way to aim your arms high or low? Playing him was really frustrating.
A few arms can, most notably blorb can shift the arc high/low and birds can pick between up/down and down/up.

Takat

Beat level 3 with Mummy, wasn't easy. I don't even want to think of level 7, but I do think choosing the right arms makes a difference.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Some ARMS can be curved up and down, but not all. Who are you playing as primarily? A Squashed Helix can be hit more easily from the air, and his low stance makes it difficult for him to do anything about it other than throw out a Guardian if he has one.
Ribbon Girl is my main. I use her standard yelllow sparky arm on the left and the boomerang arm type that freezes opponents on the right. The one I think Kid Cobra has as one of his starters. Sorry I dont remember names of arms.

Seriously fuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk Hedlock! I just lost about 9 matches in a row to him and I was about to rage the fuck out but I remembered I was a 33 year old man. I gently put down my controller and went for a walk with my dog lol.

Nightii

Banned
Ribbon Girl is my main. I use her standard yelllow sparky arm on the left and the boomerang arm type that freezes opponents on the right. The one I think Kid Cobra has as one of his starters. Sorry I dont remember names of arms.
Sparky and Coolerang, it's ok, it's barely been two days since it came out, and there is no real reason to learn the names lol.

I want the Coolerang on Spring Man so badly...

I don't understand how anyone plays this game without an analog stick. Like, how are you consistently moving around how you want with speed and accuracy?

Ask Kosuke Yabuki. He didn't seem to have a problem!

That's what I thought before I played the game. But in reality it's the mechanics that make this game. .

All the more reason I prefer motion controls. I can't curve punches, punch in individual directions, or spread my grab as wide as possible with traditional controls.

Tsunamo

I'm really enjoying this but I really hope the updates are frequent or considerable. Singleplayer content is pretty barebones and the more difficult AI doesn't makeup for it for me, multiplayer is a blast though and it's such a shame ranked is locked behind beating level 4 singleplayer.

Between Overwatch, Mario Kart 8 (and probably Splatoon 2 next month) being my usual short burst multiplayer games I find myself wondering if I should refund this. I really really want a reason to keep it, but I need to know that they'll be adding content that'll make me feel like my purchase is more worth it.

Played with motion controls I was fucking terrible using those but I've been told it's the best way to play and to be fair it was fun. Just really really difficult to aim and all that.
Some people mentioned stances, are there stances in this game?

Hmm. I'm sorry to say I don't know if those can curve up or down. I believe the Sparky can curve vertically SLIGHTLY, but I'm entirely unsure about the Coolerang. Some notable ARMS that can curve up and down are the Blorb, Homie/Seekie, Megaton/Megavolt (slowly), Phoenix/Thunderbird, and (I believe) Parasol. Please take my advice with a grain of salt though, I am by no means an expert, I've just spent a good bit of time with the Warmup Exploit back in the Testpunch.

Played with motion controls I was fucking terrible using those but I've been told it's the best way to play and to be fair it was fun. Just really really difficult to aim and all that.

Well, the only stances I've been referring to are Helix's Stretch Stance and Squash Stance. I don't think they have official names, but those seem to be universally understood names in my experience thus far.

Also, regarding Squashed Helix, I believe Barq's punch can hit him even while ducking, but I'm not entirely certain.

If you have a pro controller play a couple rounds to get a hang of the game itself then go back to motion. Thats what I did and ended up playing way better.

How come Barq doesn't get a title belt in the grand prix?

Yeah, he deserved it in my case, he KO'd Brass and Hedlok! In both scenarios, Byte was peeling his face off the floor. Which brings me to one of my favorite details regarding the Clockwork Cops: Byte quietly narrating every action he does. "Hop. Stand Up. Charging Energy. Blocking. Dash."

drac96

I know it's early, but man are the characters with more movement options a pain to fight. Going against Ribbon Girl and Ninjara in ranked makes me feel like I should just give up.

It really helps that 9/10 people I fight pick Ninjara.

StayDead

Well I just managed to get up to a +3 bonus in a party game! I was doing really well unlike ranked before.

This is so much fun.

Finally got 200 coins to go into the arms getter and got the Autocanon for my girl Mechanica, going to use those with the electric ones she has for some sextuple arms.

I know it's early, but man are the characters with more movement options a pain to fight. Going against Ribbon Girl and Ninjara in ranked makes me feel like I should just give up.

It really helps that 9/10 people I fight pick Ninjara.

Anyone who's played me knows that you haven't felt fear until you've seen a good helix

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I just wish there wasn't a 50% failute rate in combination with ~1XX ms delay when trying to block with motion control :(...

Also, is my joycon and/or bodily motion function broken since 1/5 punches truly feel like they curve to the opposite direction that I want?

Fun game though, hope I can overcome these without forgoing motion controls.

giphy.gif

Kyzon

I love when people have two slaps or slams or one of each as Helix because when he's a puddle you literally CANNOT touch him, I'm not joking, not a single angle will reach him

You can hit him with vertical slaps I believe.

Also, I'm gonna try to beat 7, but I literally have to play Ninjara so I don't fight him. That teleport gives him free grabs on my super

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I've given it enough time to know for sure I REALLY don't enjoy this game. With either control scheme. Returning it today.

Also, is my joycon and/or bodily motion function broken since 1/5 punches truly feel like they curve to the opposite direction that I want?

Fun game though, hope I can overcome these without forgoing motion controls.

I have this issue at times. I have to train myself to hold the Joycon exactly as shown with the thumbs up grip (perfectly straight and upright) when punching or else they will curve.

Pay attention to your hands.

I noticed you can save scum your way to victory in Grand Prix. If you save and quit out of a match, it saves the win and loss results against your current opponent. I used it to beat Headlock on level 4. After beating him one round and losing the next. That way I didnt have to start all over.

So, GAF, I enjoyed the fuck out of the test punch and felt very addicted. Is the final product worth it? I'd also like to be compelled by the single player content... I did read about how arms are unlocked across characters and I'm not sure I'm into that

Top Bottom