• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Totakeke

Can't get used to curving with the stick to be honest. It's not intuitive at all (for me) so in the heat of battle I don't aim properly.

Some ARMS are definitely easier to start with with less aiming required. Like Spring Man's Triblast and Boomerang. Triblast covers front/back and Boomerang covers left/right and they both curve prior to punch and cover good amount of area so you don't have to be as precise.

Using the boxing glove arms like Toaster that gives you a lot more precision all the way through is definitely a lot harder to start with.

zenspider

Does anybody actually use the Guardian as one of their main ARMS? I try it almost every time I get it in ARMS Test and I just can't figure out how to utilize it.

The swing places it out - you can try to catch players manuevering around it. Then you can swing again and curve like a traditional punch to punish something.

Seems like a strong ARM, but I only have it unlocked and Twintelle, and she loses her mobility and time-stop when it's out so I don't use it.

Peltz

The computer is kicking my ass like crazy. Wow. Kind of love it but it's also super frustrating. I'm playing on level 4 difficulty and am shocked at how elusive and cunnning the AI is.

I've been doing fine in GP lvl4, had to do a couple of rematches largely due to the ai completely healing themselves. However Twintelle in hoops is destroying me :/

yananana

I thought I'd wait until Splatoon 2 but as soon I saw a Switch at 339€ with ARMS at my local supermarket, couldn't pass on it. So here am I with the console and the game! 😄

Y5eVqSV.jpg

Can't wait to play all day (and night)!

chunk3rvd

Hedlok was definitely a difficulty spike in the journey to unlock ranked. Don't think I ever want to attempt L7. Doing pretty well in ranked so far though. Surprised me that some of the people I'm facing were able to get past Hedlok when I had so much trouble

Zedark

Just had a great time playing ranked matches: A number of strong opponents, and one match where I was down to a sliver of health and the opponent had like half left, and I managed to chip away his health to about 20%, and then with 3 seconds left he tries to hit me in a sideways jump, I dodge he leaves an opening for me tolaunch a rush attack, giving him a KO mere fractions of seconds before the timer ended! Felt pretty good after that, shame I forgot to capture a screenshot of the final blow.

This game really lives up to the hype created by the Testpunch imo. Grand Prix is challenging on the right difficulty setting, and the online play is seamless and loads of fun!

hollomat

Banned
Just beat Grand Prix on 4 to unlock ranked.

That battle with kid cobra was extremely annoying. He kept flying around the arena on that pad. Both fights went to the full time.

F34R

I'm more interested in unnecessarily spending $80 on the yellow joy cons vs buying the game lol. I might just do both.

Danneee

Just had my first local MP matches with a friend, damn this is fun. Easily up there with Bomberman and Mario Kart!
Can't wait to try it with four players.

dkeane

I haven't been following ARMS to learn all the tricks to winning.
Anyone have a good tutorial that's more in-depth than the one in the game?

Man, I am loving Byte and Barq! Barq is surprisingly helpful in Grand Prix, he actually killed Brass and Hedlok for me... I think B&B will prove effective in the hands of someone who can really learn Barq's AI patterns and myriad uses. Especially someone who can take advantage of Barq being untargetable.

Wait, people hate Snake Park? I thought it was pretty enjoyable! I actually like all the stages barring MAYBE Ribbon Ring. Even then, RR is growing on me!

I don't really get the Lvl 4 AI complaints. Yeah, they're challenging, but every time I got KO'd I could clearly see what I did wrong. By the end, I was going 2-0 with everyone. Max Brass didn't KO me even once! Ironically, Hoops took the most tries. Barq saved me there too by blocking Twintelle's grabs! I'm sure Lvl 7 cheats though; it is hard difficulty in a Nintendo game, after all. Heh.

By the way, is it just me, or does the AI have no idea how to use Helix properly?

ASIS

Anyone feel like the matches should be 120 seconds long instead of 99? The 21 seconds could make all the difference since in most of the time out matches we are usually left with a sliver of health. Just a thought.

Zedark

Anyone feel like the matches should be 120 seconds long instead of 99? The 21 seconds could make all the difference since in most of the time out matches we are usually left with a sliver of health. Just a thought.

I think 99 is enough. I've had a couple of matches where I was fighting an opponent and had to hurry because I had waited too long with a comeback. I like that the faster pace the 99 seconds bring discourages slow tactics, so I am completely fine with it.

Coda

I really suck at at this game. Can't get past match 5 (level 4 difficulty) and I've been trying since yesterday lol.
:(

You playing with motion controls? Personally I found that once I switched to playing with the Pro Controller I was a lot better at the game.

Cleared Grand Prix Level 4 and played a few ranked matches. Really fun. Is this game really punish heavy? My wins usually end up me waiting for the other player to get too aggressive and punish. I have a hard time initiating an attack.

TeegsD

It took me about 3.5 hours to finally make it through lvl 4 AI last night. I'm not thinking and spamming too much for my own good. Still cant properly block a grab and keep using my rush far too early. As others have said, lvl 4 was definitely hard, but once you understood the patterns it just became a game of not messing up and giving them opportunities. But fuck Spring Man, holy crap it took so long to beat him.

Really digging this game so far!

ASIS

I think 99 is enough. I've had a couple of matches where I was fighting an opponent and had to hurry because I had waited too long with a comeback. I like that the faster pace the 99 seconds bring discourages slow tactics, so I am completely fine with it.
On the other hand, whenever the timer goes below 10 seconds, I put all my energy into evading if I have more health than my opponent. There's not much they can do about it.

This wouldn't be a problem if the difference between our health is huge, but most of the time the match is 2 or 3 punches away from a KO.

I don't know, it's just a personal preference.

F34R

Screw it.. just ordered the game and the yellow j/c lol. I'm a sucker. I'll get the game Monday and j/c's Tuesday.

smokeyp

While Master Mummy is great for scrub busting, it feels like he gets eaten alive by anyone that knows what's going on in this game.

I end up switching to Twintelle for easy wins, but I always have this dirty, guilty feeling afterwards. haha

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Give Master Mummy a spinning lariat that reflects arms and grabs opponents. ty and godbless

Zedark

On the other hand, whenever the timer goes below 10 seconds, I put all my energy into evading if I have more health than my opponent. There's not much they can do about it.

This wouldn't be a problem if the difference between our health is huge, but most of the time the match is 2 or 3 punches away from a KO.

I don't know, it's just a personal preference.

Yeah, but I think that as time progresses, people will learn more tactics to catch a fleeing opponent (by curving their arms in the right manner), so I think that will not be a problem for very long. Both times probably make the game play out slightly different, so it is probably indeed a matter of preference.

Dr.Hadji

Right, so after some thought I've decided one thing needs to be done to MAJORLY improve the game. The timer. It needs to be gone. This is timer scam: The Game. You need to be forced to see a game out. Every match comes down to being defensive, avoiding moat attacks, gaining a slight advantage and then letting the timer see you through. And the person losing has to rush to try and get some attacks in, which obviously only leaves you open to counter. The timer is your worst enemy or best friend, and it's not good.

This game is a lot like Divekick in the style of matches, but Divekick is a 1 ko and first to 5 rounds so this aspect of footsies works for it. And the timer? In that game it's actually a really good and clever mechanic that come the end of a round becomes a battle for position. Because this game has a health meter they cant do anything like that, and in the end it's just the guy that's winning goes even more super defensive and lets the timer see them through. A lot of the time the majority of damage done in a fight it just from unavoidable rush attacks. And depending on the arms you have equipped you'll do different amount of damage with that so that's not even balanced.

I believe that without a timer and players forced to be a little more aggressive to see a win through it would be better for the game as a whole.

LOL! Day One Hot Takes. We hardly know how to play the game yet. Give it some time before starting to backseat game develope.

You playing with motion controls? Personally I found that once I switched to playing with the Pro Controller I was a lot better at the game.
I've been switching my controls to see what suits me best, and nothings working for me. Doesn't help that Ninjara keeps vanishing out of my range then gets a free throw or super.

molnizzle

I thought popping Rush was supposed to cancel any thrown punches from your enemy? B&B is still nailing me with the yellow missile thing and cancelling my Rush.

Nah, I like that the game acts like control option doesn't matter. I always felt like MK8 displaying if you used motion gave it a worse rep than it deserved.

I don't want to play against motion control players. They can easily block punches with other punches and then punish. That shit is insanely difficult with traditional controls because movement and punch curving is on the same stick. Motion controls have a clear advantage in this game.

El_bo_wawa

Neo Member
I don't post often here but started playing the game as soon as it was released.

I got wrecked in difficulty level 4 with spring man and decided to be patient and understand my mistakes (Committing too much is so wrong against the AI).

Well I think it paid off in the end because I ended up with two perfect on Hedlok.

Level 4 is becoming trivial now and I am looking forward harder difficulties.

Also people should not be afraid to play online as a lot of beginner have no clues what to do.

There is a small training section available in game with some useful setup (Counter Grab).

I have unlocked the freezing dragon and electric punch with ninjara and fights have really became a joke if my opponent let me zone the arena with the dragon arm (+ you can freeze and then do a charged punch if the timing is right).

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think I might dislike the Byte & Barq stage more than Snake Park.

While Master Mummy is great for scrub busting, it feels like he gets eaten alive by anyone that knows what's going on in this game.

I end up switching to Twintelle for easy wins, but I always have this dirty, guilty feeling afterwards. haha

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Give Master Mummy a spinning lariat that reflects arms and grabs opponents. ty and godbless
I'm maining t h I c c mummy myself, and yeah, fights against higher skilled people are an uphill battle. I win my ranked matches by keeping my distance, poking, and then healing. Most players just got straight for the grab, so I just time my jump and throw out a grab myself. Works 95% of the time lol

Top Bottom