• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Loz246789

Is there a list of all the characters different abilities?
I know that in game, if you look under help, tips and tricks(?), you can find some of the main differences, but I dunno if there are more subtle differences between characters.

EDIT: actually it might be extras, ignore me. Generally though, the help section is surprisingly helpful. So look there.

jorgejjvr

Code to add again for games

6188-0130-1440

Between my brother and I you'll probably see best Helix and best Master Mummy

The two under used characters

drac96

So, GAF, I enjoyed the fuck out of the test punch and felt very addicted. Is the final product worth it? I'd also like to be compelled by the single player content... I did read about how arms are unlocked across characters and I'm not sure I'm into that

If you're looking to be compelled by single player content I don't know if ARMS is going to do it for you. The main single player is essentially just an arcade mode with ten fights that becomes supremely frustrating at higher difficulties.

Other than that it's just online and playing the minigame to unlock arms.

Forkball

This game does an extremely poor job of telling you how to actually play. Training just tells you the controls. Then it directs you to try an insanely difficult single player mode. That's it, good luck, have fun. What does each arm do? Which can go up or down? It can burn an opponent? What does that mean? What are the character skills? What are the recommendation for each character and arm combos? What are some common combos and strategies? No? Basketball? Ok...

The controls are one of the biggest thing holding this game back. I've tried motion, I've tried the pro controller, I even tried to single joy con. None of them are ideal. All have their limitations. Many are saying that motion is the way the game was designed, and this may be true, but it still doesn't feel actually good to use. Yes, you can curve your punches better, but movement is still so cumbersome. The pro controller makes maneuvering fun, but your punches might as well just go nowhere. If this game wants to have a future, they need to nail the traditional controls for this game.

If you're looking to be compelled by single player content I don't know if ARMS is going to do it for you. The main single player is essentially just an arcade mode with ten fights that becomes supremely frustrating at higher difficulties.

Other than that it's just online and playing the minigame to unlock arms.
I can be satisfied by multiplayer content-- are there other game modes not in the test punch?

XaosWolf

I can see why fighting Lvl 4 Grand Prix is required for Ranked. Its a good hurdle to ensure you know more than just the basics before being dumped in a matchmaker.

I used Kid Cobra with the vertical tripleshot arm on the left and my Slamamander on the right. Love that combo!

Hedlok was surprisingly fun. He even managed to KO himself with his super. =P.

has anyone figured out how to get back to the tutorial when you boot up the game for the first time? I can't find or access it from the main menu.

Versus > Practice > Basics

DKL

As strange as this sounds, I'm not thoroughly convinced that snek park is bad lol

Like, you need to keep the opponent off the boards and the boards themselves allow you to have different attack patterns because of how they work (essentially, you can kinda go HAM since movement works differently than on foot since you're still mobile even after punching... so, the board vs. no board matchup is a blowup because snake board actually moves you enough in a side dash that you can avoid someone's punish).

The footsies on the board is kinda interesting once you realize you have to use the humps and momentum to get higher than the other board user.

But yeah, this might change once I see more stuff, but I'm not angry whenever the stage shows up since I enjoy the enhanced mobility and makes it feel like everyone has a gatling gun lol

Is there a list of all the characters different abilities?

I don't think there's a neatly compiled list in this OT, but I'll try it out:

Spring Man, the Bouncer:

Rebound: When Spring Man's Charge wears off, he is surrounded by a shockwave that deflects any non-laser punch near him. This includes grab attempts.

Bounce Back: When at or below 25% health, Spring Man's ARMS are permanently charged.

Ribbon Girl, the Airess:

High Notes: Ribbon Girl can jump three times in the air.

Album Drop: By holding Dash in midair, Ribbon Girl can almost instantly land with Charged ARMS.

Ninjara, the Student of Stealth:

Warp Jutsu: When Dashing, Ninjara temporarily vanishes, making him invulnerable until the Dash ends.

Block Ninjustu: When blocking, Ninjara automatically dashes away if he's hit.

Master Mummy, the Grim Creeper:

Undead and Unphased: Master Mummy does not flinch when hit with uncharged punches.

Cursed Bandages: When blocking, Master Mummy heals 10 HP repeatedly at a steadily increasing rate.

Min Min, the Ramen Bomber

Kung-Fu: When dashing forwards or backwards, Min Min unleashes a quick kick that can deflect an opponent's punch.

Dragon Power: By holding a Charge button down for an extended period of time or landing a grab, Min Min can supercharge her left ARM, making it larger and stronger.

Mechanica, the Scrapyard Scrapper:

Full Metal Body: Mechanica does not flinch when hit with uncharged punches.

Engage Thrusters: By holding Dash on the ground, Mechanica can greatly extend the length of her Dash. In addition, holding Jump allows her to slowly hover through the air a short distance.

Byte and Barq, the Clockwork Cops:

Good Boy, Barq: Byte fights with the AI-controlled Barq on his side. Barq generally follows Byte, and can Punch, Charge, and Jump. If punched, Barq is knocked out for a few seconds, but Byte loses no health.

Dog Springboard: By jumping on Barq, Byte can gain a super jump or simply bounce off his companion repeatedly. When bouncing, press Jump with good timing to super jump. In addition, jumping off Barq deflects nearby punches.

Kid Cobra, the Speed Demon:

Aerialist: Kid Cobra has slow ground movement and a lackluster ground Dash, but is very fast in the air.

Slither: When his ARMS are charged, Kid Cobra can chain together multiple, extremely fast dashes. These Slithers can also allow Kid Cobra to duck some punches.

Helix, the "Man" of Mystery:

Stretch: By holding Jump, Helix can extend his body upwards to comical lengths. He is grounded in one place while doing so, but can lean around to avoid punches. Helix's ARMS stay permanently charged while in Stretch Stance.

Squash: By dashing, Helix can melt into a small puddle. This allows him to dodge almost any punch or grab. Squash Stance can be extended by mashing Dash repeatedly.

Twintelle, the Silver Screen Queen:

Stage Presence: When charging her ARMS, Twintelle slows any incoming attacks to a halt.

Glamour: By holding Dash in midair, Twintelle can halt attacks, charge her ARMS, and change the direction of her airdash.

Max Brass, the Commish:

Man Up: By holding Charge for an extended period of time, Max Brass can buff his upper body, gaining super armor and light damage resistance. Getting hit with grabs and charged punches ends this buff.

Fighting Spirit: When Max Brass's charge ends, he is surrounded by a shockwave that deflects punches.

Champion's Aura: When at or below 25% health, Max Brass's ARMS are permanently charged and he permanently gains the Man Up buff.

(this is in fact, accurate. Brass has 3 abilities to everyone else's two.)

This game does an extremely poor job of telling you how to actually play. Training just tells you the controls. Then it directs you to try an insanely difficult single player mode. That's it, good luck, have fun. What does each arm do? Which can go up or down? It can burn an opponent? What does that mean? What are the character skills? What are the recommendation for each character and arm combos? What are some common combos and strategies? No? Basketball? Ok...

The controls are one of the biggest thing holding this game back. I've tried motion, I've tried the pro controller, I even tried to single joy con. None of them are ideal. All have their limitations. Many are saying that motion is the way the game was designed, and this may be true, but it still doesn't feel actually good to use. Yes, you can curve your punches better, but movement is still so cumbersome. The pro controller makes maneuvering fun, but your punches might as well just go nowhere. If this game wants to have a future, they need to nail the traditional controls for this game.

It's a bit unclear at times, yes. For your benefit though:

Info on different ARMS

info on characters

Crazyorloco

My Switch is being repaired by Nintendo :( it stopped turning on. I should have it monday.

For those with the game and like it...what do you like about it? Does it give you that addictive "one more game feeling".

Zedark

My Switch is being repaired by Nintendo :( it stopped turning on. I should have it monday.

For those with the game and like it...what do you like about it? Does it give you that addictive "one more game feeling".

It absolutely does. The tactics behind timing your punches, dodges and jumps, as well as taking care not to be too defensive otherwise the opponent will have the advantage when it comes to rush attacks (rush gauge charges up by punching) means there is so much variety in how each fight plays out, and that keeps each fight fun imo.

twisteh

My friend code is:

SW-7650-8454-9412

Can I get some adds / invites to a lobby? None of my friends are Nintendo fans so would be good to get some games with GAF. Having a lot of fun.

jorgejjvr

My friend code is:

SW-7650-8454-9412

Can I get some adds / invites to a lobby? None of my friends are Nintendo fans so would be good to get some games with GAF. Having a lot of fun.
Add me, I'll add you after this game

6188-0130-1440

Ps: we are also on the discord

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a bit unclear at times, yes. For your benefit though:

Info on different ARMS

info on characters
For the benefit of all. This is CRITICAL info. I haven't understood why I'd ever want to not use double Chakrams. Gonna read this through in full.

What I like most about it frankly is the completely unique control scheme and dexterity demanded by the motion controls, the act of playing it doesn't feel like any other fighting game, which makes me so against switching to other control options.

As far as the bold: Yes, that it has in spades.

mstevens

This game definitely has a huge learning curve. I thought I was feeling pretty good last night, but I am getting stomped this morning and feel more like rubbing my head and patting my stomach.

It feels very similar to the learning curve of dual analog stick aiming years and years ago.

Top Bottom