• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Ryan_

How on earth can you KO Ribbon girl in the advanced training mode? I can't even hit her once, let alone KO her before the time runs out.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I'm just starting to figure out how you're supposed to play Helix. Hmm. Interesting. I'm imagining the guy I was just playing was getting real pissed off at his inability to hit me. Need to figure out what the best arms are for him though.

Skrams

Had some really fun matches with a guy named EDC. We were both Min Min and it started as me stomping him with double ramram. Eventually he swapped to double ramrams as well. We probably put in maybe 20 matches or more since I assume he wanted to figure out how to adapt to them. Near the end it was pretty back and forth with me taking a game then him taking a game. It was pretty fun. I think we both have a better feel of how to deal with boomerang style weapons now. From what I gather dodging back is the best bet if you can't deflect the boomerang with another boomerang. They're pretty annoying weapons to still deal with, but it's manageable. Also Min Min's well timed charge kick is good for it. There's also arms like the dragon I could of swapped to for an easier time with pegging him in the face, but I kept to ramram the whole time out of a sense of honor or something.

The one thing I really enjoy ramram for though is that whenever someone jumps you can instaconfirm a super if they're close enough. You might be able to do this with regular punches too, but I just know that the ramram is super fast to do it.

Also I'm rank 10 now. I wonder how far this goes. I imagine 50 or something crazy.

mohuerta

Stupid dog, you make me look bad
My_Great_Capture_Screenshot_2017-06-16_19-48-03.png

My_Great_Capture_Screenshot_2017-06-16_19-51-34.png

Huh, I thought the joycons charged on a docked switch or is the switch being fully charged itself preventing such things.

This console itself manages to puzzle me with automatic power on when turning the dock off, I just want to recharge for more arms!

Huh, I thought the joycons charged on a docked switch or is the switch being fully charged itself preventing such things.

This console itself manages to puzzle me with automatic power on when turning the dock off, I just want to recharge for more arms!

They do charge on a docked switch.

Will Max Brass ever be a playable character?

Edit: never mind I see it's their July DLC for the game.

Had some really fun matches with a guy named EDC. We were both Min Min and it started as me stomping him with double ramram. Eventually he swapped to double ramrams as well. We probably put in maybe 20 matches or more since I assume he wanted to figure out how to adapt to them. Near the end it was pretty back and forth with me taking a game then him taking a game. It was pretty fun. I think we both have a better feel of how to deal with boomerang style weapons now. From what I gather dodging back is the best bet if you can't deflect the boomerang with another boomerang. They're pretty annoying weapons to still deal with, but it's manageable. Also Min Min's well timed charge kick is good for it. There's also arms like the dragon I could of swapped to for an easier time with pegging him in the face, but I kept to ramram the whole time out of a sense of honor or something.

The one thing I really enjoy ramram for though is that whenever someone jumps you can instaconfirm a super if they're close enough. You might be able to do this with regular punches too, but I just know that the ramram is super fast to do it.

Also I'm rank 10 now. I wonder how far this goes. I imagine 50 or something crazy.

Yeah, double ramrams are the best, especially if you chose to dance around your opponent.

Timeaisis

You hit the punch button, the dragon launches in the direction you punch, and once it shoots the laser you can move your beam from left to right or right to left.

It's really, really annoying. But nothing is more annoying than DNA Man with dual Dragon Fists. It's borderline broken.

Isn't she supposed to have some charge special with it, though?

Biske

Training is in the Versus menu.

Ah, intuitive as hell.

I'm practicing with standard controls. Its all okay, except for the fucking shield. What the fuck

Heh they call this training.

"Dont let Ninjara grab you"

Oh thanks for the tip. Where is the training in that?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuck just slogged through grandprix 4 what a ball ache. Hedlok can fuck off same with that robot dog.

That wasn't fun

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adore ribbon girl and love playing with her.

Only level 2 ranked. Played a lot for fun after that and unlocked 15 arms

Any Germans/Europeans who want to play tomorrow? Always happy about a PM with your FC :D

Biske

This training is worthless. Its dog shit. Its basically just shitty grand prix style matches. Like.. what does it say about your training, when I cant win a fucking training match. Jesus christ.

This training is worthless. Its dog shit. Its basically just shitty grand prix style matches. Like.. what does it say about your training, when I cant win a fucking training match. Jesus christ.

lol yeh, I really like the game but there are so many ways they can improve the overall experience.

Biske

Idk the grab spam one seems like a pretty good way to figure out how to combat that particular problem. The rest of the modes are whatever really.

But it doesn't instruct you.

I already know "try not to let Ninjara grab you"

Training is supposed to train me how to fucking do it.

If you take someone like me, who has problems getting grab spammed over and over, the training isn't "this guy is going to grab you over and over, figure it out, I dunno fuck it"

KodaRuss

God damnit I hate Springman. I lose to him in ever ranked match and always have trouble with him in the Grand Prix. It feels like his hit box is too small and I always get hit full tilt on his special. Every fucking time.

Maybe I just suck

If you take someone like me, who has problems getting grab spammed over and over, the training isn't "this guy is going to grab you over and over, figure it out, I dunno fuck it"

I mean, what do you want it to tell you to do? Dodge? Lol. it does tell you to punch the grabs away which is the only esoteric way to deal with the problem really. Dodging out of the way should be obvious.

Kyuur

Suddenly getting a bunch of online connection errors in ranked. Dunno if my net is just being dumb or what. :(

Been playing Mechanica -- she's lots of fun and I haven't seen anyone playing her so far (just a metric fuckton of Kid Cobras to be honest). Hammer is god.

Shahadan

It doesn't instruct you aside from a single instruction because that's all there is to it lol
They just provide a match where the situation is repeatedly in front of you

Like the one with Mechanica. She keeps jumping all match and they tell you to attack when she's landing, because that's all there is to it. It just requires practice.

Biske

I mean, what do you want it to tell you to do? Dodge? Lol. it does tell you to punch the grabs away which is the only esoteric way to deal with the problem really. Dodging out of the way should be obvious.

Yes.

I want it to pause and prompt me like "hey idiot, this is the fucking moment you need to punch, this is the moment you need to dodge" "okay again"

"okay we will do it again but faster"

"okay this time I'm not going to prompt you, you are on your own"

You don't teach a person to drive by saying "get in the car and drive!"

"Wanna fly a plane? Well fuck just do it!"

"Go on get in the ring with Tyson, don't let him hit you!" said your worthless trainer after giving you no training.

But the series of training things before that does tell you how to dodge and stuff? I don't know. I don't think it's a great training mode, shit like Guilty Gear had should be the standard, but it's not exactly throwing you to the sharks with no preparation.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm not feeling ranked mode at all. I played 3 matches and all people did was turtle in the corner or run. Every round ended by running out the clock

Biske

But the series of training things before that does tell you how to dodge and stuff? I don't know. I don't think it's a great training mode, shit like Guilty Gear had should be the standard, but it's not exactly throwing you to the sharks with no preparation.

They do the bare minimum to qualify as not doing that. But thats what they do.

Might as well say: dont get knocked out.

Enjoy your training.

That plus the controls having a jillion ways to punch but only one to shield, dumb as hell.

Regular controls are much more precise, totally ruin the fun and spirit of the game, but you have to shield like an asshole, dunno how you folks do it lol.

TeegsD

Did we get any info about the Spectator Mode dlc? Will we be able to watch the other matches in our party mode lobbies. That's what I want the most.

Camjo-Z

My #1 request for this game is to have the option to change the button mapping for guard. Master Mummy is really fun to play but he's so guard heavy and my thumb can't take the abuse of having to click that stick so often. Just let me swap the buttons for guard and rush attack and we're golden.

no i will NOT switch to motion controls

LProtag

Finally got Coolerang unlocked on Min Min.

People are not prepared to deal with the Coolerang dragon arm. It feels unfair at times. I was winning tons of matches at 25% health.

Biske

Of course, trying to complete ultra pro super hard mode, aka grand prix level 5, doesn't help with the games frustration.

There are periods where I love this game and hate it at the same time. The mechanics are just so unlike anything else, and the training mode just throws you into it, that it's hard to know what I'm doing at times.

However, it will be a good challenge to get really good at this. Ninjara traning was driving me crazy yesterday, and today I finally beat it.

I feel that 99 seconds is not enough in a match to even remotely understand what the fuck I am doing with either motion controls or buttons. So:

I did Versus match vs. CPU - infinite health and infinite time. Easy CPU to start. You can fuck around as much as you want there. Level 3 CPU was giving me a good challenge.

Still can't decide if I love or hate this game, but I do enjoy challenges. I suspect the bullshit online players will be beatable once people understand these weird ass mechanics.

DrDogg

Any footage of someone beating level 7 GP yet?

Because NO WAY.

Seriously - this seems completely impossible.

Level 5 brass almost made me give up... i dont know if anyone could do grand prix as level6 lol

Video - Beating
Max Brass and Hedlok
on level 7.

Because if you position yourself correctly then the opponent can't hit barq so that becomes a non factor. You can't target barq, the only time you can hit him is if you are trying to hit Byte and Barq is in the way. You get a free charge punch on the extra hop or you can choose to double jump out of it. I'm not saying that they are as mobile as a ribbon girl or ninjaru, but to say that they lack mobility is just wrong.

I mean B&B can move, but compare their movement to the rest of the cast. The only characters that have worse movement than B&B are Master Mummy, Spring Man and maybe Helix. So more than half the cast has better movement.

Does anyone know how you do it with button controls?

It's an advanced technique. You have to hold the stick in one direction, attack with the Arm on that side (so left Arm if you're holding the stick left), then IMMEDIATELY move the stick in the other direction and attack with the other Arm.

So... Hold Left > Attack with left Arm > Immediately hold right and attack with right Arm.

It works better with slower heavy Arms, so if you want to get this technique down I'd recommend starting with the Megaton or Blorbs. It's not easy, and you'll never be as capable with it as a motion control user, but it can be done.

DrDogg

Ok so how the hell do you defend against the popper thing

It has a really wide hit box (wider than almost any other Arm), and it's one of the fastest Arms. However, it's also a light Arm. If you take a medium weight Arm you can just interrupt both hits of the Popper.

You can also block both attacks, immediately dash forward for the parry, then go in during the longer recovery time.

Top Bottom