• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

molnizzle

This is probably the biggest bullshit aspect about the game.

The biggest bullshit aspect of the game is the idea of ARM loadouts in the first place. It's possible to have the "wrong" loadout for a specific opponent. That's... not good.

I have to head out, but I'll be back on tomorrow (maybe later tonight), but a good way to test it is to change characters. If you're just as evasive, then I'd say it's lag.

As it stands, I basically just gave up fighting you. You're spamming light attacks which should be easily counter punched, but every time you have both Arms out and I counter punch (at close range even) you just move away like it's nothing.

No other character can do that aside from Ribbon Girl in the air. So either Helix is the most evasive character in the game, or there's lag between us. I assume you're in the US, are you east coast by chance?

That said, you do use the Poppers well, but you could see (when I wasn't frustrated) that you leave yourself open a lot. Even with all the evasion we'll assume Helix has, I counter punched you quite a bit.

You know... now that I think about. The one time you didn't use dual Poppers you had far more recovery, or at least it was much easier to hit you. Maybe the Poppers just have less recovery than every other Arm in the game? That could be what's going on as well.

This makes me *really* wish the training mode was better so I could easily get to the bottom of this. Really frustrating...

I'm not nearly as evasive with others. Feel free to add me and 1v1 me any time.i fully realize how open I am and that I'm not playing as I should but I do what I do because his evasiveness is able to get me out of most situations. With Helix it doesn't matter whether I attack first or not or with both arms because I am certain I'll mostly get out of it successfully. If I played anyone else I would not nearly be as reckless. I would reckon he's indeed the most evasive. U.S. East coast, yes. The poppers might play a role. Considering his mobility options and the fact that most of the time I'm not directly clashing with arms as helix but rathe rusing my mobility to get a direct line of sight, I figured the fastest arms in the game would go well to just travel the distance as fast as possible.

Biske

the disparity between mobile characters and the few that aren't as mobile is really fucking stupid..

is there no way to curve the arm up or down? can't do shit against hyper mobile people as master mummy when they are able to jump and dash 2-3 times while I am still throwing out 1 punch

You can for sure curve some arms up and down, with motion controls.

I've learned to curve punches side ways very easily, but I cant manage to to up or down.

ASIS

The biggest bullshit aspect of the game is the idea of ARM loadouts in the first place. It's possible to have the "wrong" loadout for a specific opponent. That's... not good.

Nah, choosing different ARMS make sense and choosing your load out is a huge part of the game. Having ARMS that are objectively better means that an experienced player will have an inherent advantage... That's not good.

You can for sure curve some arms up and down, with motion controls.

I've learned to curve punches side ways very easily, but I cant manage to to up or down.

Wait, what? How?

Also, if it can be done by motion then for sure it can be done with traditional as well.

molnizzle

Nah, choosing different ARMS make sense and choosing your load out is a huge part of the game. Having ARMS that are objectively better means that an experienced player will have an inherent advantage... That's not good.

I don't like the idea that the 3 ARMS I've chosen might not have any way to counter the 3 ARMS my opponent chose. That's shit. Each character should be locked to 3 ARMS and the game should be balanced so that they're able to adapt to any situation with those 3 ARMS.

Biske

Wait, what? How?

Also, if it can be done by motion then for sure it can be done with traditional as well.

It depends on the ARM, but I do it all the time with Thunderbird. You just hook your hand up.

ASIS

I don't like the idea that the 3 ARMS I've chosen might not have any way to counter the 3 ARMS my opponent chose. That's shit. Each character should be locked to 3 ARMS and the game should be balanced so that they're able to adapt to any situation with those 3 ARMS.

So far it seems you can get away with any ARMS configuration, You have to knowledgeable about them so you know how to act. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where my ARMS are what made me lose. It's usually just the fact that I suck lol.
It depends on the ARM, but I do it all the time with Thunderbird. You just hook your hand up.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Yukinari

I feel like most players are gonna unlock the ice/electric weapon of their choice and always have at least one equipped because i dont see why youd use anything else.

Any tips for surviving level 4? I'm using mechanica and getting whooped lol. She has a lot of armor but her arms get blown up pretty easily. Getting the curve down is a little troublesome though on regular controls for the joycons

atr0cious

Yeah there's either some lag or Helix is broken.
The few games we were in there, we could see lag. Played a ribbon Girl and their attacks were hitting as they threw.
I think this can be argued as what the intentions are, much like splatoon. Not having the proper arm to choose freely from in the first place for the matchup is the sin.

Yukinari

Electric weapons are the slowest versions and it seems ice isn't all that good either

Having the chance to open up a fast character like Ninjara with a stun or slow to get a free grab or rush attack is pretty helpful.

And both arms dont have to be elemental, they supplement another arm.

Moondrop

Banned
Just went on near unstoppable tear with Kid Cobra through Grand Prix lvl 4, only dropping two early rounds as I got my feel. Not sure if the dash is that amazing, or just knowing that you need to stay ground-bound helped me play more fundamentally.

Lore note: when fighting Helix with Kid Cobra, Biff said that the Arms gene is "naturally occurring in 1 in 100,000." Seems a little high- didn't get the screenshot in time.

13ruce

Banned
Woah unlocking ranked mode was actualy kinda tense Hedlock is a kewl ai enemy.

Don't come close because he will punish u lol.

The few games we were in there, we could see lag. Played a ribbon Girl and their attacks were hitting as they threw.

I think this can be argued as what the intentions are, much like splatoon. Not having the proper arm to choose freely from in the first place for the matchup is the sin.

Admittedly there was someone from the U.K. In the lobby and they had very noticeable lag but I wa shots and no other person was noticeably lagging.

HyperHip

Man unlocking arms is turning out to be a chore and a half, Really wish there was a cheat code to unlock all this crap. Hate collecting crap in a fighting game of all things, especially when it's gameplay related.

Anyone that's curious want to add me so you can properly go 1v1 against my Helix and assess the situation? I'm actually interested in hearing more thoughts and deductions.

Bog

Junior Ace
Grand Prix 4 was fine until they threw Skill shot in there, which is a boring pile of horseshit. And of course they score 1000+ points higher.

Ozium

Man unlocking arms is turning out to be a chore and a half, Really wish there was a cheat code to unlock all this crap. Hate collecting crap in a fighting game of all things, especially when it's gameplay related.

The way it was pitched seemed like you would spend 30 credits to play the game to get a chance at grabbing a few.. The way it really works is 30 credits gives you enough time to get 2 tops...

Speely

Banned
So I am pretty good at fighting but I suck at target practice on higher difficulties. I fucking hate that mode. Remove pls.

Bought this game, but I don't know if I like it🙁. Can't get pass the cop n the damn dog. Can't buy new arms, cuz I don't have enough.. cash. Been playing twintelle. Oh what to do!?

Blindy

Am I the only person who found Max Brass harder on Level 4 with Byte & Barq than Headloc? I beat Headloc on my 2nd try, took a couple of tries with Brass.

Only reason I lost on Headloc 1st time is because he lucked out with the explosive items and special chargeup to help him.

I wish the AI of Barq was better, the dog hit Headloc on my 2nd try when he was completely stunned because of the stun bomb and it didn't allow me to throw to do more damage. Why?

atr0cious

Anyone that's curious want to add me so you can properly go 1v1 against my Helix and assess the situation? I'm actually interested in hearing more thoughts and deductions.
Your Helix made my friends laugh. They're trading in USF2 for ARMS soon and will probably be in the lobbies a little after that. After we left, we just went and practiced evading with motion controls. Will see you again tomorrow, especially if you're around in the morning, I've got to get ready for midnight shift now.

ASIS

Bought this game, but I don't know if I like it��. Can't get pass the cop n the damn dog. Can't buy new arms, cuz I don't have enough.. cash. Been playing twintelle. Oh what to do!?

Lower the difficulty, and maybe start with grip/handheld/ pro controller. Also, choose gloved ARMS so you get a better understanding.

Finally, don't be scared to get a whooping cause that's all part of the learning process. Enjoy your losses as much as your wins.
Am I the only person who found Max Brass harder on Level 4 with Byte & Barq than Headloc? I beat Headloc on my 2nd try, took a couple of tries with Brass.

Only reason I lost on Headloc 1st time is because he lucked out with the explosive items and special chargeup to help him.

I wish the AI of Barq was better, the dog hit Headloc on my 2nd try when he was completely stunned because of the stun bomb and it didn't allow me to throw to do more damage. Why?

Some characters have a harder time than others it seems. I struggled a bit with Spring Man but breezed through level 4 with Min Min.

Your Helix made my friends laugh. They're trading in USF2 for ARMS soon and will probably be in the lobbies a little after that. After we left, we just went and practiced evading with motion controls. Will see you again tomorrow, especially if you're around in the morning, I've got to get ready for midnight shift now.

How did I make them laugh? Did I win or lose against you?

Busaiku

I beat Mr. Yabuki!
img_20170617_2016328tsge.jpg

img_20170617_201627a0szy.jpg
I know it's not him.

Top Bottom