• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Robiin

Why do people grab someone mid-grab in 1v1v1? Why do they want to stop someone from inflicting damage on an opponent? What is their end game?
I have done that a few times just to see what happens. People are still learning the mechanics man, let them experiment, it's day two (day one for many). :)

It would suck if I'm only winning because a character is broken. I tried him out because he seemed to be hard to master and nobody played him, and I just figured I was good or at least decent

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Had fun in the GAF lobby but I think 0-15 is where I tap out.

I need a fucking drink now.

molnizzle

Yeah, not sure how much more of this I'm gonna play. I play games for fun, not to be constantly miserable. Really regretting this purchase.

ngower

I've caught myself revering to some colorful language I don't think I've used since middle school anytime I beat a particularly challenging or cheap-feeling AI enemy...what the hell has this game turned me into?

atr0cious

It would suck if I'm only winning because a character is broken. I tried him out because he seemed to be hard to master and nobody played him, and I just figured I was good or at least decent
Sorry for crashing your party. Wanted to play coop, but it took like 3 games before I realized it was the 1v1 lobby.

Robiin

Yeah, not sure how much more of this I'm gonna play. I play games for fun, not to be constantly miserable. Really regretting this purchase.
This is me right now, but I'm gonna put in some effort. I'm just a slow learner, that's all. No natural talent for fighting games at all.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Did you like my Helix? Forgive me for the perfect ><

I felt like those poppy arms were always in my face! That was my first time online since the testpunch and I was not ready for that sort of pressure.

I have done that a few times just to see what happens. People are still learning the mechanics man, let them experiment, it's day two (day one for many). :)
There were enough test punches to figure this stuff out already!!

(I'm just salty because people keep doing it to me, lmao)

Why do people grab someone mid-grab in 1v1v1? Why do they want to stop someone from inflicting damage on an opponent? What is their end game?
It's basically the perfect time, isn't it? Guy A is/has already taken damage and will most likely try to dodge when Guy B is grabbed by Guy C, minimizing Guy C (preferably you) from being hurt. It's best to wait til Guy B has thrown most his punches into Guy A for maximum effect ofc ;)

Robiin

This isn't a normal fighting game. In normal fighting games you can understand why you're failing and work at it.
I mean when you learn the mechanics fully you will be able to understand why you are losing. There seems to be an "answer" to most options, even though I don't really like how rewarding defensive/reactive play seem to be.

DrDogg

Like I said I'm not doing anything different. I'm feeling no lag and those I've played with constantly haven't said I've been laggy.

Half the lag in this game you don't see. There's no slow down or anything you can clearly see. That's only when the lag is *really* bad.

heringer

This is me right now, but I'm gonna put in some effort. I'm just a slow learner, that's all. No natural talent for fighting games at all.

What exactly is frustrating you guys? CPU? Online? What difficulty are you playing? Motion or standard controls?

This game is great for beginners in fighting games because it does away with complex combos and inputs to focus on mind game and movement/positioning. Since I suck at fighting games, I'm enjoying this.

molnizzle

I mean when you learn the mechanics fully you will be able to understand why you are losing. There seems to be an "answer" to most options, even though I don't really like how rewarding defensive/reactive play seem to be.

I'm just dumb then, because as far as I can tell some characters are just impossible to hit. Ribbon Girl and Helix for example. Nothing I do can hit those characters while they seem to be able to snipe me from anywhere.

The problem is the aiming. That shouldn't even be a thing. This game should be 100% timing based.

What exactly is frustrating you guys? CPU? Online? What difficulty are you playing? Motion or standard controls?

This game is great for beginners in fighting games because it does away with complex combos and inputs to focus on mind game and movement/positioning. Since I suck at fighting games, I'm enjoying this.

Online, and rank 7 CPU grand prix.

DrDogg

Don't attack as much as he said. You got a perfect on me ;_;

If you're playing Spring Man don't jump unless you're evading something and can immediately counter punch. I caught you there because there's recovery on your jump as you're landing. You didn't need to jump, but when you did you gave me the opening to hit you.

hatchx

Banned
I'm really getting my ass whooped. Tried the motion controls and the gamepad and nothing is really clicking for me.

Who is the best all-around beginner fighter + arm combo?

It's basically the perfect time, isn't it? Guy A is/has already taken damage and will most likely try to dodge when Guy B is grabbed by Guy C, minimizing Guy C (preferably you) from being hurt. It's best to wait til Guy B has thrown most his punches into Guy A for maximum effect ofc ;)
Please don't encourage such behaviour with logic.

Checked what Helix can do during recovery and yeah, he has multiple options to slip away. If he's stretching he can jump out of the way even in the middle of throwing punches, same for crouching.

Which is...silly in this game.

Robiin

I'm just playing party mode and figuring stuff out as I go. For me I just need to put more effort into learning to identify situations and options. I've barely scratched the surface with the characters and different arm combinations :) Just trying to learn fundamentals with basic mid punch and curve arms. I played through all the training tutorials at least.

I only just got used to keeping my arms charged.

Checked what Helix can do during recovery and yeah, he has multiple options to slip away. If he's stretching he can jump out of the way even in the middle of throwing punches, same for crouching.

Which is...silly in this game.

If both or one arm is stretched he can't jump away as effectively

ASIS

If you're playing Spring Man don't jump unless you're evading something and can immediately counter punch. I caught you there because there's recovery on your jump as you're landing. You didn't need to jump, but when you did you gave me the opening to hit you.

I see. Thank you for your tips.

I'll beat you one day, I must!

Biske

I feel like lag plays a significant role in this game a lot of the time.

The nature of the game make lag have a big big impact, splatoon you miss a shot due to lag, it sucks, but its alright, there are tons of shots.

Here, my grab goes through you and you take advantage of that and ruin me... super noticeable.

I punch through your rush? or grab through it like a ghost? suuuuuuucks for you. (done this quite a few times)

The easiest way to understand the mechanics? In grand prix, when the computer dodges and anticipates everything as soon as you do it. :p

I dropped down to level 3, and even then some fights are ridiculous. I'd rather get rekt in a gaf lobby.

If both or one arm is stretched he can't jump away as effectively
That's the same for every character actually, you have a window to jump and evade with just one arm thrown, but Helix has that window with both arms thrown and a good, functional jump with just one.

It makes him REALLY hard to punish.

EDIT: Nah, he can just jump away even with both arms thrown as long as he's stretching lol.

DrDogg

I have to head out, but I'll be back on tomorrow (maybe later tonight), but a good way to test it is to change characters. If you're just as evasive, then I'd say it's lag.

As it stands, I basically just gave up fighting you. You're spamming light attacks which should be easily counter punched, but every time you have both Arms out and I counter punch (at close range even) you just move away like it's nothing.

No other character can do that aside from Ribbon Girl in the air. So either Helix is the most evasive character in the game, or there's lag between us. I assume you're in the US, are you east coast by chance?

That said, you do use the Poppers well, but you could see (when I wasn't frustrated) that you leave yourself open a lot. Even with all the evasion we'll assume Helix has, I counter punched you quite a bit.

You know... now that I think about. The one time you didn't use dual Poppers you had far more recovery, or at least it was much easier to hit you. Maybe the Poppers just have less recovery than every other Arm in the game? That could be what's going on as well.

This makes me *really* wish the training mode was better so I could easily get to the bottom of this. Really frustrating...

thedan001

Having fun in GAF lobby since yesterday

So much salt, lol. I know Gore gets the mechanics down well from all the games I've played, it's really hard to find moments to punish him from my experience.

de_reddy

Neo Member
I've had some fun with the game today, but sometimes the singleplayer has me raging, only playing against kitana or jade in mk3 has made me so pissed.

I've decided to stick to motion controls and after a few hours it finally feels I'm getting the hang of it. When all goes well there's nothing like this game. Mostly playing in tabletop mode which is amazing.

DrDogg

Just because you lost to a player that's very good with a character, doesn't make him automatically broken. Specially 1 day intro the release of the game.

Please don't confuse me with someone who is just a sore loser. I would rather lose because that's how you learn and get better at the game. Winning all the time doesn't teach me anything.

I know when characters have recovery and I can attack. I even went into "training mode" with Helix pre-release just to test his evasion and I got hit more often than not as I was testing things. So when I played Gore and he evades basically everything, I'm going to call that into question.

Lag is the easy answer, but if it's not lag then I want to know what it is so I can figure out what Helix's evasive options are and how to beat it. If this isn't a lag issue, the character is easily the most evasive in the game. Since this game is 90% evasion, that makes him borderline broken, day 1 or not.

Starting off a three way match in the middle of the ninja academy/stairs stage...

ZxyBCV.gif

Man, fuck whoever did the AI for this game. Assholes.

I like that the "training" stages gradually devolve into "face off against this AI programmed for maximum accuracy and evade while spamming their quirk"
I LEARNED NOTHING!

Ozium

the disparity between mobile characters and the few that aren't as mobile is really fucking stupid..

is there no way to curve the arm up or down? can't do shit against hyper mobile people as master mummy when they are able to jump and dash 2-3 times while I am still throwing out 1 punch

Yukinari

Jeez, makes me not really want to jump into ranked until I have the Plus ARMS I need, lol

Considering you cant have the option to turn them off its gonna affect party mode as well. Really reminds me of how mario kart always had some extra stat bullshit to take into consideration.

Luigi87

Considering you cant have the option to turn them off its gonna affect party mode as well. Really reminds me of how mario kart always had some extra stat bullshit to take into consideration.

It is really dumb.
I love this game, but having something like that implemented isn't a smart decision competitive wise. Having to unlock each ARM is fine, but having to do it twice to specifically get the +10 dmg modifier is poor.

Edit: I should add it wouldn't be as bad, if it weren't also for the fact that unlocking ARMS is via RNG.

Top Bottom