• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh please, please make another season. I really liked this one and they had to really wrestle to make it happen. Imagine how good it could be if everyone is actually free to film at the same time.

R5mo0SH.gif

Also, a reminder from Mitch's AMA about a season 5:

For the 5th season, it would DEFINITELY be about the family all together. That was always the design. The idea was originally to have them even together LESS for Season 4 - it really was going to be basically 9 stories (like the Salinger collection) that had nothing to do with one another, and just showed everybody's life, so that everybody's life could get to a point of peril, and then the family could truly have no choice but to get back together for the next iteration.

Bonus pic:

Is it just me or is Ann looking hotter?

d6sDB5j.jpg

OnPoint

http://i.imgur.com/R5mo0SH.gif[/IMG

Also, a reminder from Mitch's AMA about a season 5:

For the 5th season, it would DEFINITELY be about the family all together. That was always the design. The idea was originally to have them even together LESS for Season 4 - it really was going to be basically 9 stories (like the Salinger collection) that had nothing to do with one another, and just showed everybody's life, so that everybody's life could get to a point of peril, and then the family could truly have no choice but to get back together for the next iteration.

Bonus pic:

Is it just me or is Ann looking hotter?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/d6sDB5j.jpg

God damn it Maeby...

Hnnnnn...

EulaCapra

Just finished the new season a couple of days ago. I'm not ready to watch it all again, but wow... Let's never do this type of storytelling ever again. Back to ensemble with you!

+I still laughed
+Dat gay sex!
+Lucille is still the best around
+Kristin Wiig was perfect
+Jokes and motifs keep recurring
+Getaway Getaway
+Everything comes together in the end
-College/dorm voting. Dear god, just end. You weren't funny to begin with.
-George Senior's episodes were incredibly weak. Weakest ever for me.
-Go away, Seth Rogen
-Tobias/David Cross looks like he's going through the motions. I don't see a game Tobias.
-Buster/Tony Hale is gone for much too long.
-Maybe too much emphasis on recurring gags and motifs.
-Everything comes together in the end...like a whirlwind

Cons Infinite:
-Jesus, let's SNIP SNIP some scenes and dragging parts shall we?
-What was that? I can't hear you. I THINK YOU SHOULD TURN DOWN THE VOLUME BECAUSE THE CAST IS SPEAKING AND PROBABLY SAYING SOMETHING FUNNY BUT I MISSED IT BECAUSE THE NARRATOR IS TALKING OVER THEM AND THERE'S MUSIC PLAYING OVER THE SCENE. I still can't... What was that? Her?

y2dvd

In the perfect world, the entire cast will be able to dedicate the necessary time to shoot season 5 together the way it had been for season 1-3. I'm sure they have listened to criticism on how some scenes dragged and to make pacing tighter.

(mat)

I agree that the background music felt out of place. Made some scenes less naturally awkward, like it should be, and more of a big sign that says "THIS GOOFY MUSIC WE'RE PLAYING IS SO YOU KNOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE AWKWARD." Don't insult my intelligence like that.

Other than that, I loved this. Obviously if I had a choice, I'd pick the old style of Arrested Development, but since this is the only way they could do it, great job. I, along with everyone else in the entire world everywhere, really want to see a proper season after this. I hope it happens.

Also: This season didn't really click for me until the first Tobias episode. Priceless.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What exactly does Seth Rogen do that is bad?

I agree that he was probably miscast as young George Senior but he is a perfectly hilarious comedian.

I think the main complaint is that he's really only good as one character. If he tries to go beyond his comfort zone the results are bad. Hence George Senior.

I don't have a problem with him in the good comedies he is in, but he doesn't need to try to branch out because he will fail.

I think the main complaint is that he's really only good as one character. If he tries to go beyond his comfort zone the results are bad. Hence George Senior.

I don't have a problem with him in the good comedies he is in, but he doesn't need to try to branch out because he will fail.

Isn't that the point of branching out? Yeah you could fail but that shouldn't keep you from trying.

Anyway it wasn't his decision to put him in, he tried out for it probably and they thought he was the best.

Even though I don't think he makes that great of a George Senior I did enjoy him in the BabyTock scene.

kehs

Banned
I'm watching shock and aww....this is the second time Michael and George Michael fell for the same girl. Lol.

Ethics teacher.

Iceman

No ring.

I saw the (season one) pilot for the billionth time the other day and it just clicked with me that the fox losing his foot might be the first foreshadowing of buster's seal attack/hand loss. I think i'm so late to this realization because lucille calls it "his little foot" and i never connected it to a "hand".

Anybody else on board with this one, or am i overreaching again? It hit me like an anvil this time for some reason.

i bring this up because i was reminded of ms. Barely - her "brutally cutting off the criminal's hand" line was previously the earliest foreshadowing i had ever noticed.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
What exactly does Seth Rogen do that is bad?

I agree that he was probably miscast as young George Senior but he is a perfectly hilarious comedian.

Phew I'm glad you asked, because I'd like to try to write it out.

He plays the same character. That's it. A lot easier than I expected.

Pineapple Express, Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman, Knocked Up, Funny People, it's all the same dude. His character is the exact same in all those movies. They may be good movies, but most of them aren't because of him, and some of them are in spite of him.

He's the Vince Vaughn of stoners. Need a wise cracking, smooth talking asshole? Go for Vince Vaughn. Need a stoner? Go for Seth Rogen. That's the one and only part he can act, as well as he does that one role (because it's just him in real life lol)

I'm all for him writing and producing, I've enjoyed all the movies he's made. But from the way people praise Freaks & Geeks I wonder if that wasn't the pinnacle of his acting career.

AND THAT'S WHY, we don't hire Seth Rogen to play George Sr.

Arkos

I'm watching shock and aww....this is the second time Michael and George Michael fell for the same girl. Lol.

Ethics teacher.

Holy cow never thought of that. I also realized that Michael did finally go to Phoenix to stay (the University :p).

I think I was on at least my second watch through of the original run before I got Maeby's name's joke. "It's your cousin, Maeby." Right over my head.

Some of the most obvious jokes can be the easiest to overlook.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Isn't that the point of branching out? Yeah you could fail but that shouldn't keep you from trying.

Anyway it wasn't his decision to put him in, he tried out for it probably and they thought he was the best.

Even though I don't think he makes that great of a George Senior I did enjoy him in the BabyTock scene.

I don't take the "well at least he tried" attitude with huge movies and shows. You're supposed to be trying behind the scenes, not on camera.

He would have never been cast if he wasn't "Seth Rogan". If this was one of his first roles they never would have even considered him. I agree that it's not his fault that he's on the show, casting should have figured out that was a bad idea, but he still does a horrible job any time he is not playing the same character.

Phew I'm glad you asked, because I'd like to try to write it out.

He plays the same character. That's it. A lot easier than I expected.

Pineapple Express, Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman, Knocked Up, Funny People, it's all the same dude. His character is the exact same in all those movies. They may be good movies, but most of them aren't because of him, and some of them are in spite of him.

He's the Vince Vaughn of stoners. Need a wise cracking, smooth talking asshole? Go for Vince Vaughn. Need a stoner? Go for Seth Rogen. That's the one and only part he can act, as well as he does that one role (because it's just him in real life lol)

I'm all for him writing and producing, I've enjoyed all the movies he's made. But from the way people praise Freaks & Geeks I wonder if that wasn't the pinnacle of his acting career.

AND THAT'S WHY, we don't hire Seth Rogen to play George Sr.
Watch Observe & Report.

Arkos

^^^ hahaha everyone is making hand jokes but that one crosses the line

Watch Observe & Report.

Coincidentally Anna Faris also bugs the hell out of me as an actress, for kind of the same reasons? Don't know if serious or not, but it'd take some convincing for me to watch this movie

UrbanRats

So i finally watched all 3 seasons of the show, for the first time.
Finished with season 3 just yesterday.

Holy shit was this intense and funny.
I read S4 is not quite on par, unfortunately?

Anyway, right now i'm gonna watch Always Sunny (another one i've seen mentioned a lot) and then i'll probably try and give S4 a shot.

Anyhow, this has to be one of the most quotable shows i've ever seen, i can see why its gifs flooded GAF (and the internet at large).

I quit Season 4 from the start of Tobias story 2,

I saw the return of the Heroin Addict who loves butter and I said ''I quit'

I hate all the new characters, and hate the fact that Buster has been missing in action for like 4 episodes in a row

this is not Arrested Development

I hate all the new characters, and hate the fact that Buster has been missing in action for like 4 episodes in a row

Have to disagree. Season 4 was great, and by giving up now you're going to miss out on some great late season 4 episodes. It all comes together.

Have to disagree. Season 4 was great, and by giving up now you're going to miss out on some great late season 4 episodes. It all comes together.

if the season takes that long to be ''good'' than its 1st half is already crap does not = good

I understand that everything intertwines but it is uninteresting the way it is done and there is too much emphasis on the ''side'' character that are way unfunnier than the original side characters.

The face blind guy, the butter eating heroin addict, Ron Howard's daughter, the sweat lodge staff. = unfunny side characters

OnPoint

I dislike that character a lot, but the season really does come together.

if the season takes that long to be ''good'' than its 1st half is already crap does not = good

I understand that everything intertwines but it is uninteresting the way it is done and there is too much emphasis on the ''side'' character that are way unfunnier than the original side characters.

The face blind guy, the butter eating heroin addict, Ron Howard's daughter, the sweat lodge staff. = unfunny side characters

While I agree it's a bummer it took it a while to get going, you're really doing yourself a disservice skipping the excellent final episodes of the season. Your choice of course.

Hell, Gob 2 might be a top 5 Arrested Development episode for me out of all 4 seasons. Oh and Buster's episode is very good.

The show was not designed like the other seasons, to expect the same thing from this season is setting yourself up for disappointment. It's not even like other television. I'm not sure if an anthology show with overarching plot lines even exists. I know of novels that are a bit more similar. Plus rewatching the season enriches all the episodes. It's kind of hard to explain but the season is so intricately designed that it rewards the astute viewer even more than previous seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom