• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow/Flash spin-off titled 'Legends of Tomorrow', 13 Episode Season to air midseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Ignoring real life logistical reasons, why doesn't the time traveler pull the Flash out to help? Is The Flash too important in this current timeline?

anaron

qci7TEw.jpg

Joni

She got younger since she was on Grey's Anatomy, she doesn't like a 33 year old with three children.

Wiktor

Maybe the shorter episode order will boost the overall quality of this show a bit. I'm a fan of all the CW DC stuff but yeah, no denying it's uneven and repetitive. The schedule they have to make these in, though... You're just not gonna get something like Daredevil out of the pace of production and budget per episode.

I like shows that have full season orders. Make the whole thing more epic, allows for crazy standalone episodes and generally lets writers create richer plot that's painted on bigger canvas.
Whether you use it correctly or not is whole different matter.Some shows benefit from that significantly. Others wouldn't work with long orders

You mention Daredevil, but that's a terrible example. This is a show that would have benefited greatly from having it's order cut into 8-10 episodes, as they clearly didn't know how to fill all 13 hours.

Anyway, glad Legends of Tomorrow got picked up. Atom spin-off sounded like a bad idea, but throwing whole team and going for crazy epic world ending storyline made me get pretty hyped. Plus I hope it will air in the break. And that it will be so successful than in 2016 CW might put another DC show there too.

Supergirl...I have no clue what to think about it. Since it's from Flash/Arrow guys it's bound to be pretty good. But I never followed that character much. Will be in for at least half the season though. Plus if Flash can look this good on petite CW budget I'm kind of hyped what they will be able to pull on CBS.
Oh..and I hope they will pair it with Person of Interest. Dear CBS, it's time to stop pretending PoI isn't a genre show :)

Cheebo

Banned
I do wonder how they plan to incorporate Superman into this if at all since they have made it clear that Supergirl is indeed part of the Arrowverse continuity.

I do wonder how they plan to incorporate Superman into this if at all since they have made it clear that Supergirl is indeed part of the Arrowverse continuity.

It is one of those awkward things about expanding a TV universe where at a certain point you're like 'Wait, he exists too?'.

Like, if they're suggesting Superman and Supergirl have been trundling around this whole time that means the two have ignored a lot of shit going down. Lazy bastards.

Rymuth

I was afraid Captain Cold and Heatwave would be antagonists as I really like those duo (the actors)

A series about villains helping to save the world sounds really compelling.

Have Clock King on as a guest so we can get our Prison Break reunion.

Acidote

During the last two weeks I've watched every episode of Arrow as I was already watching The Flash and wanted to see what was it all about.

It better be more like The Flash because Arrow season 3 has been embarassing and I feel like John Barrowman is the only good actor in the whole show. I've never set my eyes on gaf's Arrow thread, maybe I should check how do they feel around there. Maybe they'll want to crucify me.

Magwik

Banned
During the last two weeks I've watched every episode of Arrow as I was already watching The Flash and wanted to see what was it all about.

It better be more like The Flash because Arrow season 3 has been embarassing and I feel like John Barrowman is the only good actor in the whole show. I've never set my eyes on gaf's Arrow thread, maybe I should check how do they feel around there. Maybe they'll want to crucify me.
It's Rory going back in time to assemble a team that includes Hawkgirl and a dead person to fight presemebly Vandal Savage
It's not going to take itself too seriously I'm sure

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love the premise of this show. Do we know if it's airing in the fall or a different season? Could be good to play during the winter break.

We won't. Arrow S1 started slowly but ended decently, S2 was excellent - as good as The Flash is - but S3 is straight up terrible.

Legends of Tomorrow |OT| The Magnificent... Eight? Nine?

NotTheGuyYouKill got got?

I guess he is the guy you kill after all.

Yep that would work perfectly. Obviously the show can use her for as long as it needs then just drop her back in the proper place so she can die.

Looks like although Berlanti and Kreisberg developed the show, the day to day will be handled by Ali Adler. People really shouldn't be worried that everyone will be jumping ship.

That's not perma worthy, he'll be back and posting extra to make up for all the time he's missed.

I can never be kept down.

I'm really worried about the special effects for this show. I don't see how they can have Ray as a main character when every scene of him flying around as the Atom in both Arrow and the Flash has looked pretty terrible. And on top of that, they're going to have a second flying character in Hawkgirl, and she'll have wings they'll have to animate.

Hopefully they prove me wrong like they did with the Flash.

Vice

Supergirl is usually the older cousin of Superman who got sent off to Earth to watch over him, but for whatever reason her spaceship got lost for 30ish year so she's a teen when Superman is in his 30s. They could have her be a 20-something who for to Earth recently while Superman is still a kid, but adopted by the Kents.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
13 episode season?

Holy shit.

o_O

Good.

I'm catching up with the latest 4 episodes or so of both Arrow and The Flash and it's very evident that the +20 episode formula doesn't work for this kind of show. The Flash is still surprisingly enjoyable, lighthearted and fresh, but Arrow... this season is running on fumes, as Discotheque said.

Wiktor

Good.

I'm catching up with the latest 4 episodes or so of both Arrow and The Flash and it's very evident that the +20 episode formula doesn't work for this kind of show. The Flash is still surprisingly enjoyable, lighthearted and fresh, but Arrow... this season is running on fumes, as Discotheque said.
I think 20+ episodes work better for this kind of shows.
13 episodes long Flash or Arrow season would suck so badly. It would make them feel small and would force the whole seasonal arc to be much simplier. Not to mention most of the emotional beats would lack the punch they had now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think 20+ episodes work better for this kind of shows.
13 episodes long Flash or Arrow season would suck so badly. It would make them feel small and would force the whole seasonal arc to be much simplier. Not to mention most of the emotional beats would lack the punch they had now.

It's all about the quality of the writers, and let's be sincere Arrow's has not been that great lately. Too much filler and silly twists that served little purpose. Meanwhile, The 100 is epic as heck and manages to keep a terrific pace with 13 to 16 episodes per season.

Shows with long seasons tend to go south really fast whenever writers start meandering. Arrow was fantastic when the plot was moving at full speed, but now that Deathstroke has been replaced with Ras... well (and I love me some Ras, mind you).

Wiktor

It's all about the quality of the writers, and let's be sincere Arrow's has not been that great lately. Too much filler and silly twists that served little purpose. Meanwhile, The 100 is epic as heck and manages to keep a terrific pace with 13 to 16 episodes per season.
it is about quality of writers. But 13 seasons need to be a lot simplier. No matter how good writers you have. A lot of Flash and Arrow fun comes from them being full on comicbook shows, throwing crazy villaind and self contained stories around. That won't work in 13 episodes. Such show, especially if it focuses on plot, and comicbook shows do, needs to be very focused, with very little deviations from the main arc and smaller number of characters.
If Flash would be 13 eps I think it would need to loose all the rogues and the firestorm, No crossovers either. Just few introductory eps and then straight into Reverse Flash's storyline. And I don't care how good the writers are. They wouldn't be able to make me care as much about Cisco or Wells himself in 13 episodes.

Also...13 episodes does not guarantee no filler or fast pace. Daredevil is perfect example of that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing wrong with keeping some rogues in the pantry for later seasons. The Flash is about to run out of them at this pace.

Wiktor

Nothing wrong with keeping some rogues in the pantry for later seasons. The Flash is about to run out of them at this pace.

We'll have to agree to disagree then :)
Personally I like all those comicbooks shows because of how crazy they get. I'm not expecting a AAA quality drama from them. This genre won't be able to achieve that no matter how few episodes a season has anyway. What I want is lots of crazy stuff thrown on screen, self contained stories alongside big long arcs that I can follow and discuss for 9 months straight and characters I grow to like through whole year.

This is what I love about superhero shows. In a lot of ways they've brought back the excitement and communities that previously were created by sf shows.

It;s not like there's drought of short season focused shows on the market. But shows that have strong serialized elements AND have 20+ episodes a season...those are pretty damn rare these days.

Did something ridiculous happen in the Arrow finale because I'm seeing how the hell they are going to explain Lotz's character still being alive.

Nope, nothing, well nothing involving Sara at least. Given time travel is involved, this could just be a Sara recruited from an earlier point in time, yet still after the events on the island. I'd guess we won't find out until the series launches though.

Flash Finale Speculation:
The promo shows
that Barry travels back in time to save his Mum. What if by doing so, his meddling with the timeline causes the events that lead Rip Hunter to assembling this team?
Perhaps these characters will make an appearance in the Flash finale?

styl3s

This sounds so awesome. Really does seem like an Avengers Forever type of setup (as predicted).

13 episodes seems a good length. Flash has been doing fine, but Arrow has really dragged.

Also, why did NotTheGuyYouKill get banned?
Honestly i wish the 13 episode order was the norm for channels like CW because 22-24 episodes absolutely kill the pacing in shows like Arrow and even Flash. As much i want more of Arrow/Flash i would rather have more condensed and focused stories.

Did something ridiculous happen in the Arrow finale because I'm seeing how the hell they are going to explain Lotz's character still being alive.

My guess will have to do with the Lazarus Pit. Maybe with Oliver acting like he was on Ra's side, he was able to get her to come back to life except with mixed results if she is the White Canary.

GulAtiCa

Nope, nothing, well nothing involving Sara at least. Given time travel is involved, this could just be a Sara recruited from an earlier point in time, yet still after the events on the island. I'd guess we won't find out until the series launches though.

Flash Finale Speculation:
The promo shows
that Barry travels back in time to save his Mum. What if by doing so, his meddling with the timeline causes the events that lead Rip Hunter to assembling this team? Perhaps these characters will make an appearance in the Flash finale?
Already been confirmed for Flash finale that
Hawkgirl and a few of her cast mates will be there.
so I'm guessing that Flash ends up doing something that causes some time issue.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Nice to see Caity was able to negotiate a costume she doesn't have to be cut out of in her contract.

Nice to see Caity was able to negotiate a costume she doesn't have to be cut out of in her contract.

I think the new costume looks great. Very fencer-esque.

Already been confirmed for Flash finale that
Hawkgirl and a few of her cast mates will be there.
so I'm guessing that Flash ends up doing something that causes some time issue.

I wasn't aware of this, but that's excellent news. I guess it will be Barry's
meddling with the timeline that creates the need for Rip Hunter's team.

Wiktor

Honestly i wish the 13 episode order was the norm for channels like CW because 22-24 episodes absolutely kill the pacing in shows like Arrow and even Flash. As much i want more of Arrow/Flash i would rather have more condensed and focused stories.

Damn..I'm happy that's not the case. Arrow and Flash would loose so much of good stuff on petite 13 seasons.

GulAtiCa

I'm not familiar with US TV schdules, when is midseason? Between seasons, like this time next year?

Usually Jan or Feb premier. iZombie was a midseason premier for example.

And for those that are enjoying it being 13 episodes, that doesn't mean future seasons will be that amount. We don't know their full plan yet, but if it's picked up as a full season, it could end up having a season 2 that is all 22/24/etc episodes long. Assuming this isn't a 1 thing event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom