• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

It going to be interesting if they let the world know.
Guess he will have to fully stop killing or get some sort of pardon .
Also him still being rich would help since i don't know how long they going to keep him the mayor .

MartyStu

nuCanary don't give a fuck. I actually love her for that.

Also, Felicity taking initiative is great. She is feeling more and more like her own person and not just an appendage.

Here's where I'm seeing the pieces land by the end of the season:

Adrian is both Vigilante and Prometheus. He plans to destroy Oliver as Prometheus and replace him as Vigilante. He may or may not also be under the direction of Talia.

Wild Dog isn't making it out of this season alive.

Oliver will be outed going into March hiatus, and will spend the rest of the season as a fugitive. He will be pardoned and deputized, either by the SCPD or Argus at the end of the season. but will not get to stay Mayor.

Lance will become Mayor, and Thea will stay on as part of his staff.

Team Arrow at the end of the season will be Green Arrow, Black Canary, Spartan, and a leveled up Mr. Terrific.

Still not sure on how Felicity's arc plays out. She either remains part of the team or goes full villain.

MartyStu

Adrian is both Vigilante and Prometheus. He plans to destroy Oliver as Prometheus and replace him as Vigilante. He may or may not also be under the direction of Talia.

Oliver will be outed going into March hiatus, and will spend the rest of the season as a fugitive. He will be pardoned and deputized, either by the SCPD or Argus at the end of the season. but will not get to stay Mayor.

Team Arrow at the end of the season will be Green Arrow, Black Canary, Spartan, and a leveled up Mr. Terrific.

Still not sure on how Felicity's arc plays out. She either remains part of the team or goes full villain.

I am not going to lie: Felicity as an anti-hero or villain completely separate from the team sounds absolutely fantastic.

There is no way Felicity going to be any sort of villain lol .
What she doing most likely going to bite them in the ass.
Also after 5 years having Oliver go on the run for even more than a ep just feel like been there done that .

I am not going to lie: Felicity as an anti-hero or villain completely separate from the team sounds absolutely fantastic.

Felicity already antihero in a lots of ways and it look like she going more down that road.

Now that i was thinking about it .
Every year we had some sort of storyline for Oliver identity.
They trying to be different this year and at least it don't effect storyline much \ have a lot of drama around it .

Sober

It's cleaning up the Diggle plot which was always kind of nothing. Really it's got nothing to do with Prometheus, but it doesn't feel like filler like Flash even if it won't push the main story forward. It's good like that. Plays into the show's history too.
I guess it is "filler" in that sense but to be honest if it was pure filler it would've been a bad episode. Again like you said, lots of history for the show to pull from, even just taking into account Team Arrow visiting Russia.

One thing I love about the season is they are going full on with Oliver's actual inner conflict on trying to be a better person, leader, hero vs. now having Talia also teaching Oliver how to become the monster he begins the show as. It is exactly what I wanted from S5 and it's doing it so well even on an episode like this.

I feel the greatest advancement of this season is having characters act like adults and cut though the melodrama. You have Dinah calling Ollie out on his shit. The Chesthair and Wild Dog interaction would've gone poorly last season, but now they resolve it rationally. Prometheus tricks Ollie into killing the cop BF, and Felicity forgives him instantly. Like, that's the same character who got out of her wheelchair and left last season.

Oh, and Wild Dog.

I liked the episode but anyone else think it's weird how fast Dinah got integrated into the group? They barely even know her.

Also Felicity taking note of Oliver and Dinahs alone time...yeah that's going to happen. Surprised Felicity is so cool about it.

I liked the episode but anyone else think it's weird how fast Dinah got integrated into the group? They barely even know her.

Also Felicity taking note of Oliver and Dinahs alone time...yeah that's going to happen. Surprised Felicity is so cool about it.

Because she's more than likely over the whole Ollie and her thing.

Because she's more than likely over the whole Ollie and her thing.

84803-Man-of-Steel-Superman-screamin-mdLM.gif

They can't kill the Wild Dog. Felicity will fall, but it will come back to bite them.

I mean, Oliver just killed her serious boyfriend. I think she's a bit more focused on that than if Oliver is banging anyone.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ollie can't catch a break with women, it's just L after L, not even Barry can catch up to Ollie in that department.

What? Oliver's bagged like 15 women throughout the course of the series. Barry is at 2. Yeah sure a few turned out to be evil, but dating is a numbers game, it's bound to happen.

What? Oliver's bagged like 15 women throughout the course of the series. Barry is at 2. Yeah sure a few turned out to be evil, but dating is a numbers game, it's bound to happen.
Who cares how many women he's had sex with.

Ollie's women keep leaving him, die, are crazy, turn evil, or are secretly betraying him. I'll never forget the episode he got ganged up on by his baby momma and his ex and when Felicity walked out of a chair and pretty much left him on the alter.

Barry has nothing compared to Ollie's bullshit, and he's currently in an actual "stable" relationship.

MartyStu

Well not completely integrated. Felicity's little side op specifically excluded her because she was not yet comfortable with her.

And besides, I think the writers trust us enough to fill in the blanks.

jb1234

I'll be pissed off if they kill Wild Dog. I've grown to really like him.

(Curtis can go, though and I never especially grew to care about Rory so I don't mind that he's leaving, at least for now.)

Wild Dog cemented himself as my favorite after the cheeseburger scene last episode. He's isn't at "heart and soul" of the show like Joe is for Flash but I won't accept Wild Dog dying.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hmm. This was the first episode that stumbled a bit for me. It wasn't outright bad like I thought the last episode of The Flash was, just rushed in spots. I liked Wild Dog and Lance bouncing off each other. Sad to see Ragman go, but after containing a nuclear blast they have to bench him for awhile so the team isn't so overpowered.

Ragman could have his own series more focused in "magic" chars once constantin seems that is done.

Actually we have:

-Arrow: street level heroes/villains

-Flash : metahumans heroes/villains

-Supergirl: Aliens heroes/villains

-Legends of tomorrow: Time & Space heroes/villains

We have space for "magic" level heroes/villains.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ragman could have his own series more focused in "magic" chars once constantin seems that is done.

Actually we have:

-Arrow: street level heroes/villains

-Flash : metahumans heroes/villains

-Supergirl: Aliens heroes/villains

-Legends of tomorrow: Time & Space heroes/villains

We have space for "magic" level heroes/villains.

Doubtful unfortunately.

Supernatural-season-8-cover.jpg

Constantine being on CW Seed ensures they've got their fill. We already might have Black Lightning coming into a crowded lineup. I'd love a Magical DC show, Shadowpact or whatever, but it's unlikely.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Next season's Legends of Tomorrow will have them going up against a rival team assembled by the U.S. government, the Legends of America, with members picked for their ability to counteract the team.

RagGod vs. Firestorm
Huntress vs. White Canary
Killer Frost vs. Heatwave
The concept of a clear, solid, undeniable win vs. the Atom

You know, I starting to think people are forgetting the idea of Dramatic irony even in ridiculous cases. That's not the sentiment here of course, because we have fun with silly plot lines but elsewhere its there.

Yeah Reporter Chick is really obvious to us, but Oliver really doesn't have trust issues. He just does things.

Fantastic episode? I guess we just have different standards:

-The Mayor of a major American city is simply allowed to travel to Russia for reasons. Nobody questions this and the State Department thinks it's just fine.
-Said Mayor is publicly seen at Russian airport and greeted with a punch in the face by a known Russian Bratva leader. They then proceed to converse in plain sight.
-American General is able to hijack a nuke and escape custody in America and travel to Russia.
-Government agencies, including the covert ARGUS, have no jurisdiction to stop an American General from selling an American Nuclear Bomb to foreign terrorists?
-Magic Rags are capable of containing a nuclear blast and resulting radiation.
-"You've gone too far," speeches from Oliver when a nuclear weapon is in play. Jack Bauer can you put these chumps in check?
-Flashback that has no ties thematically to the main plot.
-Diggle doesn't kill General because...

Nah, that was a pretty terrible and inconsequential episode. The only highlights to me were the interactions between Det. Chesthair and Wild Dog which the episode had trouble finding a spot for.

Mayoral visits to sister cities are very much a thing

To countries that are detrimental to the interest of the United States without input from the State Department or Executive Branch and all arranged within an hour? And, also without any input by said "sister city" or larger government? When Oliver comes back home and the press are like did you meet with the mayor of [insert Russian sister city name]? What did you discuss? What is he going to say? Explain to us why you wasted tax payer dollars to charter a sudden flight to Russia when our city is in dire need of an economic boost and is in the midst of attacks by a serial killer.

ZeroX03

Banned
To countries that are detrimental to the interest of the United States without input from the State Department or Executive Branch and all arranged within an hour? And, also without any input by said "sister city" or larger government? When Oliver comes back home and the press are like did you meet with the mayor of [insert Russian sister city name]? What did you discuss? What is he going to say?

Arrow doesn't exist in the real world and has a different political climate. I don't hold it to the same standards, and it's ridiculous if you do. Nothing in this episode is out of the ordinary for the reality Arrow has established over five seasons. Also...

-Magic Rags are capable of containing a nuclear blast and resulting radiation.

Yes. He's withstood a nuclear blast and gunshots and bombs before.

Arrow doesn't exist in the real world and has a different political climate. I don't hold it to the same standards, and it's ridiculous if you do.

Except when it decides it suddenly does? Remind me again where did Diggle serve? Fictional stories should make sense, just because a show is a comic book show doesn't dissolve it from having to adhere to any sort of consistent logic. The truly great shows are able to think about and provide explanations to these scenarios that further enrich the show, its world, and its characters.

That's like their whole deal though. It's literally his origin story.

And yet, they stopped working after doing the one function they were made for. I'm not questioning the existence of magic rags I'm lamenting the sheer laziness of such a convenient solution to the core problem.
"This nuke is gonna go off!
"Don't worry, my magic rags can stop it."
"Yay! We're all saved."
"It worked, unfortunately my rags don't work anymore. Sad face."

Where is the tension in such a scene with such a Deus Ex Machina?

ZeroX03

Banned
Except when it decides it suddenly does? Remind me again where did Diggle serve? Fictional stories should make sense, just because a show is a comic book show doesn't dissolve it from having to adhere to any sort of consistent logic. The truly great shows are able to think about and provide explanations to these scenarios that further enrich the show, its world, and its characters.

We just met the President three episodes ago on Legends. It sure ain't Trump. Everything that happened in this episode was within the reality that Arrow has crafted over many years, and suddenly you're faulting it for not playing by the rules of the real world. It does have a consistent logic, it's just not the same as reality.

And yet, the stopped working after doing the one function they were made for.

It tracks very much with his comic powers. He's exhausted his souls.

We just met the President three episodes ago on Legends. It sure ain't Trump. Everything that happened in this episode was within the reality that Arrow has crafted over many years, and suddenly you're faulting it for not playing by the rules of the real world. It does have a consistent logic, it's just not the same as reality.

You mean the President before or after the alien invasion? Because I saw the President of the United States get vaporized by an alien force and no one batted an eye or gave a flying fuck. Is that the consistent logic you are talking about? Please, let's not even bring up the alien plot line because it made my brain hurt.

ZeroX03

Banned
You mean the President before or after the alien invasion? Because I saw the President of the United States get vaporized by an alien force and no one batted an eye or gave a flying fuck. Is that the consistent logic you are talking about? Please, let's not even bring up the alien plot line because it made my brain hurt.

Yes, the President died. And like three Star City mayors have died in five years. Politicians drop like flies in this world. They're actually very consistent about people not caring. It seems your brain is hurting because you can't divorce reality with Arrow. Arrow is a world where politicians are disposable and politics do not mirror reality, there's a lot more leeway. This has been the case since season two if not season one. Not a new thing.

Siegcram

And yet, they stopped working after doing the one function they were made for. I'm not questioning the existence of magic rags I'm lamenting the sheer laziness of such a convenient solution to the core problem.
"This nuke is gonna go off!
"Don't worry, my magic rags can stop it."
"Yay! We're all saved."
"It worked, unfortunately my rags don't work anymore. Sad face."

Where is the tension in such a scene with such a Deus Ex Machina?
That's exactly the opposite of a Deus Ex Machina. It's doing the one thing it has been explicitly established it can do.

And comic heroes exhausting their powers is something that constantly happens. The X-Men lose their powers on a weekly basis.

It's really easy to nitpick the writing of the CW shows but you couldn't have picked worse examples.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Hahaha. Yeah, they really didn't address that at all. Nobody even reacted to it.

Something that bothered me a little in this episode was Diggle explaining that aliens are real to Dinah. Doesn't everyone know that after the massive alien attack on every major city? It's just a little joke but it's pretty clear the crossovers are inconsequential.

Yes, the President died. And like three Star City mayors have died in five years. Politicians drop like flies in this world. They're actually very consistent about people not caring. It seems your brain is hurting because you can't divorce reality with Arrow. Arrow is a world where politicians are disposable and politics do not mirror reality, there's a lot more leeway. This has been the case since season two if not season one. Not a new thing.

In Star City, maybe, you know because that's why it's such a big deal there and why no one wants to visit the city. In regards to the rest of the country that has not been shown to be the case. The President being vaporized by an alien force would be a pretty BIG fucking deal no matter what Earth you live on. Also, since when are we supposed to divorce reality when watching any fictional show. With that metric nothing could be criticized because such a fictional show doesn't "mirror reality," why should we bother criticizing a character's reaction to a situation or emotional event when "it's not reality?"

Lord of the Rings exists in a completely fictional world and yet the people that inhabit the world act like normal humans in our own world and react to the events that occur within their world with the appropriate behavior and emotion. Also, the politics of that world very much echoes real world historical medieval politics. If Arrow is so divorced from the reality of our world such that a Mayor can do anything he wants and go wherever he wants then what exactly is the purpose of making him Mayor? Why should we care?

ZeroX03

Banned
In Star City, maybe. You know because that's why it's such a big deal there and why no one wants to visit the city. In regards to the rest of the country that has not been shown to be the case. The President being vaporized by an alien force would be a pretty BIG fucking deal no matter what Earth you live on. Also, since when are we supposed to divorce reality when watching any fictional show. With that metric nothing could be criticized because such a fictional show doesn't "mirror reality," why should we bother criticizing a character's reaction to a situation or emotional event when "it's not reality?"

Lord of the Rings exists in a completely fictional world and yet the people that inhabit the world act like normal humans in our own world and react to the events that occur within their world with the appropriate behavior and emotion. Also, the politics of that world very much echoes real world historical medieval politics. If Arrow is so divorced from the reality of our world such that a Mayor can do anything he wants and go wherever he wants then what exactly is the purpose of making him Mayor? Why should we care?

Ah you know what, I'm not even going to bother. You're going way to hard into something that's really meaningless. Sorry if it gets you worked up, I don't think it's really an issue for anyone else and as far as I'm concerned tracks with the show's internal logic. Arrow is definitely not the show for you if something like this is an issue. I'll just default to this:

It's really easy to nitpick the writing of the CW shows but you couldn't have picked worse examples.

Ah you know what, I'm not even going to bother. You're going way to hard into something that's really meaningless. Sorry if it gets you worked up, I don't think it's really an issue for anyone else and as far as I'm concerned tracks with the show's internal logic. Arrow is definitely not the show for you if something like this is an issue. I'll just default to this:

I'm sorry I expect the bare minimum of internal consistency and logic when watching a fictional show. The reason "The Dark Knight" worked so well is because it made you believe that a figure like Batman could exist in that world. Arrow makes no damn sense and routinely screws with its own logic to do something "cool."

Joni

They don't care about dead presidents in Legends of Tomorrow or The Flash either. So it is not a Star City issue.

Aside from that, I assume that if you have access to an organisation like ARGUS, you get to fly to Russia without any problems. If a CIA connected mayor in the real US wants to fly to another state, he probably has enough connections.

It is also a post-nuke world. Russia nuked the US by being hacked. It probably dropped any tensions towards the US at that moment to avoid being taken out. Like in Failsafe.

I seriously can't believe

is my season MVP at this point. Honestly might be the character im enjoying most in the entire CWverse as of the last 3-4 episodes.

I laughed when his inclusion first came out.

Top Bottom