• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Nabs

Legends really that good ? Heard this a couple of times already. Only watched the two first episodes of season 1 and dropped it after - just didnt seem like it would be worth the investment.

Season 1 was rough until the last stretch of episodes, but Season 2 has been awesome.

LotusHD

Banned
Legends really that good ? Heard this a couple of times already. Only watched the two first episodes of season 1 and dropped it after - just didnt seem like it would be worth the investment.

The first season isn't completely awful, but it's mainly that the next season stepped up in a big way. Cast (including the main villains) is arguably the best in the Arrowverse now that got rid of the weak links from S1, and the show just takes itself far less seriously, which is great. They're just these lovable idiots that I like to see do shit every week.

It's Syfy tier. Reminds me heavily of Dark Matter/Killjoys/The Librarians/Warehouse 13. It knows the premise is goofy and this season, it's begun to lean into it. Light genre stuff.

The cast is remarkably solid this season and what helps is they have a clear motivation and clear villains with actual speaking lines, which puts it above the rest of the CW DC shows.

It's Syfy tier. Reminds me heavily of Dark Matter/Killjoys/The Librarians/Warehouse 13. It knows the premise is goofy and this season, it's begun to lean into it. Light genre stuff.

The cast is remarkably solid this season and what helps is they have a clear motivation and clear villains with actual speaking lines, which puts it above the rest of the CW DC shows.
Good way to put it. Legends knows it is a ridiculous comic book show and just dives head first into it. It isn't trying to be anything deep or meaningful, it is just supposed to be a comic book brought to life, stupid stuff and all. And bless it for that.

Good way to put it. Legends knows it is a ridiculous comic book show and just dives head first into it. It isn't trying to be anything deep or meaningful, it is just supposed to be a comic book brought to life, stupid stuff and all. And bless it for that.

Yeah. The other shows, especially Flash and Supergirl, are dramas with superhero trappings. Arrow probably leans a bit more into being this crime drama-esque thing, but otherwise drama is the point.

Legends tried that in Season 1, realized it didn't work, and now they go from place to place, put on cheesy period costumes, and punch people. Pure popcorn.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Alright guys thanks for the impressions - this sounds pretty cool and entertaining. The whole Vandal Savage plot in S1 just sounded stupid to me after a while....so im assume the new villains are more interesting.

Doesnt seem like i have to watch S1 at all...will give the S2 a go down the line once it wraps up and i have more time.

PS. I missed White Canary anyway...lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
She has some of the best story lines in s1 even.

Eh....dont make me wanna watch the whole S1 of the show lol. Was great to see her again during the Alien Invasion cross-over episodes.

Curtis either needs a haircut or they need to show or mention him having invented a device that braids his hair within seconds or else I'm just going to keep on thinking that everyone waits around for while he gets ready.

https://twitter.com/EchoK/status/826893834764161024

Arrow continues its good run. Definitely the superhero show I'm enjoying he most out of the CW 4. I'm way behind on supergirl though and way way behind on legends.

Oregano

Alright guys thanks for the impressions - this sounds pretty cool and entertaining. The whole Vandal Savage plot in S1 just sounded stupid to me after a while....so im assume the new villains are more interesting.

Doesnt seem like i have to watch S1 at all...will give the S2 a go down the line once it wraps up and i have more time.

PS. I missed White Canary anyway...lol.
They actually threw shade at Season 1 in one of the recent episodes, specifically at Savage.

Sephzilla

They should have kept the no power thing a secret then.

My guess is that he's going to make some dramatic stand against Prometheus even with weakened rags because he's going to have some epiphany that he's still a hero even without the rags. And then Prometheus is going to off him easily.

Wild Dog just seems to obvious to kill off

jrush64

Banned
I still dont feel like Prometheus is as compelling of a villain as Deathstroke was, which is basically the only flaw I can find with this season, but yeah, this season is so damn good.

Deathstroke had a bigger history with Oliver than Prometheus has as we saw him go evil on the island so I guess it's different.

Joni

My guess is that he's going to make some dramatic stand against Prometheus even with weakened rags because he's going to have some epiphany that he's still a hero even without the rags. And then Prometheus is going to off him easily.

Wild Dog just seems to obvious to kill off
That would still work. He just needs to claim his powers are back. Or maybe they generate slowly.

ZeroX03

Banned
Prometheus isn't the same kind of physical or personal threat as Slade. That's probably his shortcoming. He seems roughly Merlyn tier, but after Ra's and Darhk the power creep would've been nuts. And the personal history is one sided on Prometheus' part. Tying stuff back to season one is the best way to make Prometheus seem like he's existed in perpetuity.

His strongest plays have been psychological. It's a shame Oliver doesn't have a second mother to kill, just a wild dog to get put down.

Da-Kid

Ragman again tanking a nuke again just makes it more jarring that he got instantly punched out by Prometheus.
Pretty much. I guess the writers really don't think about that shit.

Anyways, I guess taking a nuke used all the rags power and now he's going somewhere for them to regain their mystical power.

Sephzilla

Ragman kind of did need a nerf, though. He's broken-tier compared to the rest of the team.

That and maybe the Ragman CGI got a little pricey

ZeroX03

Banned
Every meta/mystic person in the Arrowverse only has their powers working when they're paying attention. See: the hundred times Barry has been blind sided.

carlsojo

Prometheus isn't the same kind of physical or personal threat as Slade. That's probably his shortcoming. He seems roughly Merlyn tier, but after Ra's and Darhk the power creep would've been nuts. And the personal history is one sided on Prometheus' part. Tying stuff back to season one is the best way to make Prometheus seem like he's existed in perpetuity.

His strongest plays have been psychological. It's a shame Oliver doesn't have a second mother to kill, just a wild dog to get put down.

His thing is basically he's incredibly well-prepared and has time to set things up. It's only when he's surprised that the cracks show (like when Tobias Church brought in that armored dude to take him on).

WedgeX

Banned
Caught up last night. Wild Dog has finally, completely, won me over. I hope that Rag Man eventually moves over to Legends. Happy with how Canary IV is coming along. Oliver doing things the right way compared to Felicity and John was refreshing. I do hope that the seasons ends with Oliver choosing to go after the rich again rather than random bank robbers. That shit is already insured by the FDIC!

And I guess the reporter and her investigator have to die now.

I think they are purposefully leading Prometheus to seem like hes not the Deathstroke level only to pull the rug out from under us late into the season with him killing off a major character or two (and hopefully a surprise one, IE not Ragman/Wild Dog) and bringing Oliver to his lowest point, only for him to rise again at the very end. I STILL don't entirely believe Prometheus is a character we don't know about since we have yet to see him without a mask on and it just feels like they are hiding something and that they discovered his identity to easily.

Would be a really interesting twist if it was actually Talia and not just someone she trained like Oliver. We know Talia trained Oliver now and helped him create the 'Hood' character but we don't really understand WHY as of yet which makes me think that there is more to her then meets the eye... Perhaps its just setup for the next season but we'll see.

It's good that Ragman has been taken out of the equation for the time being. It would suck to see him either not using his powers or getting Worfed over and over.

They need to just get rid of Curtis. He provides nothing to the team, since he doesn't contribute to fights, and his tech prowess doesn't match Felicity's. He also isn't funny or likable at all. That said, though, I think Wild Dog is going to be the one who bites it, since his role is completely redundant with Diggle back.

Description for March 1st episode - Fighting Fire with Fire

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-spoilers-fighting-fire-with-fire-description/
VIGILANTE ATTACKS MAYOR QUEEN — Oliver (Stephen Amell) faces his biggest challenge yet as mayor. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) continues down her dark path with Helix. After Vigilante attacks Oliver while he’s acting as the mayor, Diggle (David Ramsey) leads the team in a mission to stop Vigilante once and for all. Michael Schultz directed the episode written by Speed Weed + Ben Sokolowski (#515). Original airdate 3/1/2017.

Joni

Description for March 1st episode - Fighting Fire with Fire

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-spoilers-fighting-fire-with-fire-description/
VIGILANTE ATTACKS MAYOR QUEEN — Oliver (Stephen Amell) faces his biggest challenge yet as mayor. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) continues down her dark path with Helix. After Vigilante attacks Oliver while he’s acting as the mayor, Diggle (David Ramsey) leads the team in a mission to stop Vigilante once and for all. Michael Schultz directed the episode written by Speed Weed + Ben Sokolowski (#515). Original airdate 3/1/2017.
News Headlines, Mayor queen first mayor to survive attack without the green Arrow. Does Arrow hate Billionaire Queen?

Skux

I'm all caught up now and the show is as strong as ever.

I really like Dinah, she's a straight talker. Same with Wild Dog. They both want to help and will take no bullshit in doing so.

So good to see Lance back, and being teamed up with Wild Dog of all people.

I like that cast members taking breaks feels organic and the show isn't forcing them into meaningless scenes for the sake of it. Lance took a break and that was fine, he was in rehab. Thea is currently away and that's fine, she doesn't have an arc. Ragman is going away and that's fine, he was satisfyingly written off and his final heroic moment was like a bookend to his origin, and also served to close off Diggle's arc. And that gives other characters like Dinah the screen time to develop.

If the choice is between wild dog and diggle then I absolutely choose wild dog to stay in the team

Dingle has gotten pretty boring. Plus he's had 5 seasons.

MartyStu

I am convinced that the reporter lady exists solely to ensure that any perceived romantic tension between Dinah and Olie remain at a minimal for the time being.

Is it awful that with Vampire Diaries finally being over, all I can dream of is a Justice League Dark-esque show with Matt Ryan's Constantine, Ragman, etc?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is it awful that with Vampire Diaries finally being over, all I can dream of is a Justice League Dark-esque show with Matt Ryan's Constantine, Ragman, etc?

No Zatanna, no sale. I need either Swamp Thing or Zatanna to get excited about any Justice League Dark adjacent project.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Now that we're past the halfway point and opinion has turned, I decided to go check out the first few pages for perspective. We've come a long way.

I also found this prediction I made early on:

Wild dog: will be dead by mid-season.
Artemis: will grow disillusioned and join this season's big bad.

I was half right!

No Zatanna, no sale. I need either Swamp Thing or Zatanna to get excited about any Justice League Dark adjacent project.

This.
Though it better be
1377842-zatanna_hughes.png

and not bland New52 Zatanna.

I'd sort of been thinking about this for a while. I would use the name Shadowpact, from a short-lived comic with a similar premise. Swamp Thing would probably be relegated to recurring guest status, because he'd be hard to budget as a regular.

The roster I'd thought of for a potential Arrowverse magic team show was:

Zatanna
Constantine
Ragman
Deadman
Raven
Zauriel
Jason Blood /Etrigan

Top Bottom