• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

For those concerned about the show going political, they said if 22 episodes were candy, this would be the 1 vegetable. So it sounds like this is a once a season kind of deal.

Also it's well within Green Arrow's comic purview and Oliver's the mayor. He has to get at least a little political.

Im fine with them but this specific issue I didn't trust Arrow to handle well.
I was fearing the hypocrite Oliver and Huntress type thing.

But it worked.

Absolutely wonderful. Those Wild Dog flashbacks had me shook. I thought they were leading to him getting killed off by the end of the episode.

Crisis averted.

For those concerned about the show going political, they said if 22 episodes were candy, this would be the 1 vegetable. So it sounds like this is a once a season kind of deal.

Also it's well within Green Arrow's comic purview and Oliver's the mayor. He has to get at least a little political.

for those concerned about the show being political they should work on not being a dumbass.

dude is the mayor, he should try to do his job from time to time outside of having a terrible statue built to honor laurel

And here I was.....longing for Dolph before the start of this episode...who would've thought it would turn out to be one of the best Arrow episodes.

As I said, I thought the episode before was pure garbage that made almost zero sense. But, this episode. Fucking great. Finally, Oliver a Mayor is treated seriously and people start acting logically. For once, we get a problem that Oliver as Arrow cannot solve but actually requires him to step up and be the Mayor he was fucking elected to be. Now, the politics were a bit like an after school special but I'll take it over the nothing we usually get.

If this episode is a "vegetable" then fill my plate up with more vegetables, candy is rotten and shouldn't be consumed in large quantities. This was an episode with a strong theme, strong characterizations complete with flashbacks that were actually relevant to the theme of the episode, and a plot where characters acted logically to the actions that played out. I would only ding the actual politics for playing it too close with the "both sides" dynamic. Just take a damn stance. But, still better than anything we usually get.

Another good one in what might be Arrow's strongest season in a shocking turnaround if it keeps up. It got a little too "after school special" as said before but Oliver Queen should be more political anyway.

Skunkers

I'm surprised so many people like this episode, I don't really like it when a show that hasn't really had any sort of political message just goes and shoves one in your face for one episode, even if it's one I agree with, like in this episode.
I did like having Wild Dog's backstory in this episode.

A good episode on the whole but I felt like I was being beaten to an inch of my life with its themes. The writers tried very hard to make their agenda sound natural from the characters (both Curtis and Rene's positions make perfectly good sense) but it still felt jarring. Definitely happy Wild Dog stayed alive and has his own arc now. Was disappointed his flashbacks weren't more extensive and hard-hitting. They felt distanced.

Kinda glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. It was still a good episode overall, but I definitely caught that vibe of when I was a kid watching an episode of my favorite cartoon... and all of the characters just turn to the camera and say "let's take a moment to talk about global warming..." or whatever. Still a great episode, and this season has been nothing but hot fire, but it was slightly jarring.

I think the only reason people may have found the episode weird was due to the fact that it was on the nose, but tbh, to do an episode like this you kinda have to.

Two things that stick out:

1. The 2D cityscape in the office shots lol

2. The signs at the vigil "Justice for victims" "GONE but not forgotten". Lololol at least put some effort

THEY DIDN'T KILL GOATDOG, VICTORY

sirap

Damn when did DC comic book shows become the realest TV shows on air? Respect to Legends and Arrow for tackling these issues.

jb1234

Kinda glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. It was still a good episode overall, but I definitely caught that vibe of when I was a kid watching an episode of my favorite cartoon... and all of the characters just turn to the camera and say "let's take a moment to talk about global warming..." or whatever. Still a great episode, and this season has been nothing but hot fire, but it was slightly jarring.

Another moment that made me giggle was the conversation about how no one talking to each other is maybe what's wrong with the country, an argument that came across as massively reductive. I suppose it's a credit to everyone involved that the episode still came off fairly well, despite the sledgehammer writing. Oh, and Oliver's gun control bill, which we learn absolutely nothing about but it seems to be some miracle cure? That's television for you, I guess.

MartyStu

I think the only reason people may have found the episode weird was due to the fact that it was on the nose, but tbh, to do an episode like this you kinda have to.

Yeah. There is never a good way to handled a topic with real world significance without being soapboxy. Or at least appearing so to a large part of your audience.

It is pretty much the nature of the beast.

It probably would have been better if they'd actually shared what was in that magic resolution that would make everyone happy. "Hey, we wrote the perfect compromise." And then we don't know what they think that is.

jb1234

It probably would have been better if they'd actually shared what was in that magic resolution that would make everyone happy. "Hey, we wrote the perfect compromise." And then we don't know what they think that is.

That struck me more as something that the writers knew they could never explain convincingly so they didn't bother.

ZeroX03

Banned

From Guggenheim:
And if you're wondering just what kind of middle ground was reached by the new gun control regulations, don't expect a detailed answer.

”We left that intentionally vague," Guggenheim explains. ”My first gig in the business was on a show called The Practice. [Creator David E. Kelley] always said, ‘I'm not interested in the verdict. I'm just interested in both sides in the case having equal arguments.' Very intentionally, we didn't want to provide [an] answer to the problem of gun violence. We wanted to leave that open to the audience as almost like a Rorschach test."

Side note: I loved The Practice. Boston Legal was even better. Which Arrow/Flash's Andrew Kreisberg wrote on!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why hasn't Shatner appeared anywhere in the Arrowverse yet?

Dude watches Flash and everything.

Bluth54

Yeah this sort of thing can be done well (Star Trek has done it pretty well a lot of times) but it just felt like they were beating the message over my head and just felt so out of place with the rest of the show.

And yeah I think describing it as a kid's cartoon where they just turn to you and talk to you is pretty spot on.

Dryk

I liked that Rene keeping a gun in the home and trying to be a hero is what got his wife killed, just like in real life.

Xenoboy

Damn, that end with Reneé had me misty-eyed.
I feel like the CW DC shows are becoming more political. When's Flash gonna tackle that?

That struck me more as something that the writers knew they could never explain convincingly so they didn't bother.
From Guggenheim:

Side note: I loved The Practice. Boston Legal was even better. Which Arrow/Flash's Andrew Kreisberg wrote on!
I get it (I also really liked The Practice), but I also think the writers would have been better off taking a stand here, especially when the episode even goes out of its way to call out Oliver for not having an opinion one way or another.

As is, the episode just seems to meander off and highlight that a compromise solution is impossible. The problem is that, instead of outright saying so, it just pretends a solution exists (again, while showing us that it doesn't) and then slaps us in the face even more by implying that it's so trivial that it needs not even be explained.

Joni

Damn, that end with Reneé had me misty-eyed.
I feel like the CW DC shows are becoming more political. When's Flash gonna tackle that?

It feels a bit problematic to find the right topic for The Flash. Sexism in modern society is easy for Supergirl, Sexism and racism through time is a perfect fit for Legends, gun violence and vigilantism fits with Arrow.

Xenoboy

It feels a bit problematic to find the right topic for The Flash. Sexism in modern society is easy for Supergirl, Sexism and racism through time is a perfect fit for Legends, gun violence and vigilantism fits with Arrow.

Animal abuse?

Maybe they could take out some time one episode to have the team discuss the need for critical thinking to Barry to teach us all a lesson :p

From Guggenheim:

I get it (I also really liked The Practice), but I also think the writers would have been better off taking a stand here, especially when the episode even goes out of its way to call out Oliver for not having an opinion one way or another.

As is, the episode just seems to meander off and highlight that a compromise solution is impossible. The problem is that, instead of outright saying so, it just pretends a solution exists (again, while showing us that it doesn't) and then slaps us in the face even more by implying that it's so trivial that it needs not even be explained.

Like I already said, the "both sides" bullshit doesn't fly with me, that kind of crap is the reason Trump got elected. If your going to go political then have the courage to take a fucking stand otherwise what exactly is the point of doing such an episode? I really liked the episode but if all their "political" episodes are going to be "both sides" bullshit then they should just stick to making candy.

carlsojo

Like I already said, the "both sides" bullshit doesn't fly with me, that kind of crap is the reason Trump got elected. If your going to go political then have the courage to take a fucking stand otherwise what exactly is the point of doing such an episode? I really liked the episode but if all their "political" episodes are going to be "both sides" bullshit then they should just stick to making candy.

oh relax

There wasn't a both sides to the episode at all.

More than one argument was brought up but it wasn't like anyone pro-gun was seen in the right and even the councilwoman was seen as obstructive and could potentially be brought back to screw with Mayor Oliver. Oliver clearly leaned Gun regulation and the show mostly did too as everyone who was pro-gun(besides Dinah) was seen as almost irresponsible or bureaucratic. The thing is, you just heard arguments from every side. That's it.

The Bill or whatever itself was gun regulation period. The episode knew where it stood, it just let you hear all of the arguments first.

There wasn't a both sides to the episode at all.

More than one argument was brought up but it wasn't like anyone pro-gun was seen in the right and even the councilwoman was seen as obstructive and could potentially be brought back to screw with Mayor Oliver. Oliver clearly leaned Gun regulation and the show mostly did too as everyone who was pro-gun(besides Dinah) was seen as almost irresponsible or bureaucratic. The thing is, you just heard arguments from every side. That's it.

The Bill or whatever itself was gun regulation period. The episode knew where it stood, it just let you hear all of the arguments first.

No it didn't. It cleanly presented both sides and while at times seemed to favor increased gun regulation, backed off to show the other side. Dinah was pro-gun. Councilwoman was pro-gun and the show did not present her as evil, just someone standing for what she believed in. And, WildDog was pro-gun. Nobody changes their opinions by the end of the episode. Even WildDog's backstory suggests that if he had his gun on him like he wanted then his wife wouldn't have died, and that without the gun in his home he and his daughter might be dead.

At the end, Oliver comes up with a compromise. What is this magic compromise that compliments both sides? Ssshhh, you don't need to know, all you need to know is that both sides are happy with it. The episode was as clear of a "both sides" type of deal as it could be. FFS the episode even insinuates that the reason the way the world is the way it is, is because both sides don't talk anymore. Not that, you know, one side is literally racist, Nazis.

Top Bottom