• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Zen Aku

Can Ollie maybe spend an arc hanging around Star Labs? Put some sense into them?

Barry: "Oliver! When did you get here? How did you get in?"
Oliver: "The front door was wide open and there were instructions written on it saying which elevator to take to get down here... What the hell is going on with your security."

*Before Oliver leave*

Oliver: "I also have Felicity upgraded your security system and for the love of God. Close the door."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The only reason he managed to make it out of those seasons is through the sheer strength of Barrowman.

Yep. It's all the actor's charisma and the occasional audience wink when they would acknowledge how Malcolm pops out of the shadows at the perfect moment.

The thing that was good about Merlyn was that his life didn't revolve around Oliver. He had his own stuff to do, and Oliver was just in his way.

Of course, seasons 3 and 4 went ahead and reversed that.

LionPride

Banned
I wonder when will people realize that Season 4 of Arrow is literally just Season 2 without Manu Bennett, and Season 2 is actually pretty ass if you take out Manu Bennett's Slade development. Like that season is pretty stupid.

Sölf

I finally catched up with all Arrowverse shows. And damn, Arrow is still the best this season and it's been as good as S1 and S2. At first I didn't like the Adrian = Prometheus reveal, because it was just so obvious somehow. But now, after this episode. Oh boy, he is a damn good villain. Definitly up there with Merlyn and Slade.

Zen Aku

Felicity let CIsco upgrade security at their end. I wouldn't trust her.

Well that's where Felicity fucked up. Cisco is a great inventor and he's useful like 90% of the time. I trust him to beef up everyone weapons and armors but why the hell would you ever trust him with security?

I'm pretty damn sure Barrowman only broke into the Arrow bunker AFTER Cisco got his hands on to it.

I wonder when will people realize that Season 4 of Arrow is literally just Season 2 without Manu Bennett, and Season 2 is actually pretty ass if you take out Manu Bennett's Slade development. Like that season is pretty stupid.

Season 1 was the only good one tbh until Season 5 which is the best cw dc has ever been overall imo

Season 2 had some awesome twists and reveals. Especially Slade showing up in star city. But man there's a lot of crap in that season. And the action took a step down as well

Btw this was peak Malcolm Merlyn. Dude sounded like William Defoe. Lmao the Tommy actor gets shook too

https://youtu.be/ShH8EewhsGM

Joni

Slade makes season 2 great. Manu made even his Hobbit scenes great. He even made us forget why he was attacking Oliver.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think Merlyn was fine in S3, but he was no fun as Darhk's whipping boy in S4. The villains have a much better team dynamic in Legends.

Merlyn also had less screen time than most of the other villains in his debut season because he doesn't do anything until episode 9 and was still fleeting after that. It helps he didn't outstay his welcome in a single season like Darhk or Zoom.

How good Chase is will come down to whether they stick the landing with him, which has been one of Arrow's weaker points. I think S1 might still have had the best season finale. S2 Slade is just a rage monster, S3 and S4 just became dumb fist fights with magical opponents. If Chase can drop a few more bodies of people close to Oliver, get a great send off and force Oliver to go public? Yeah he'll be right behind me.

As much as I grew to hate Merlyn, he still had one of the first real "oh fuck" moments
giphy.gif

I take issue with that statement.

It also lacked Sara Lance.

As much as I grew to hate Merlyn, he still had one of the first real "oh fuck" moments
giphy.gif

Yeah. It's easy to forget about it in light of how much of a plot tumor he turned into, but Merlyn was unbelievably badass in S1. Like, motherfucker won. Not just all the times he rekt Ollie one on one, his plan went through! He destroyed the Glades! Straight up unprecedented.

LotusHD

Banned
Will always be awkward when someone reminds me that he's walking around all free and shit despite being responsible for 300+ deaths.

Dysun

I think this is my favorite season of Arrow thus far. Really good stuff all around, and hammyness of Prometheus is just right

I think Merlyn was fine in S3, but he was no fun as Darhk's whipping boy in S4. The villains have a much better team dynamic in Legends.

Merlyn also had less screen time than most of the other villains in his debut season because he doesn't do anything until episode 9 and was still fleeting after that. It helps he didn't outstay his welcome in a single season like Darhk or Zoom.

How good Chase is will come down to whether they stick the landing with him, which has been one of Arrow's weaker points. I think S1 might still have had the best season finale. S2 Slade is just a rage monster, S3 and S4 just became dumb fist fights with magical opponents. If Chase can drop a few more bodies of people close to Oliver, get a great send off and force Oliver to go public? Yeah he'll be right behind me.
I think the problem with Slade, Darhk, and especially Ra's (and Zoom) is that when they appear, they are so far and beyond better than Oliver (and Barry) that it's ludicrous to believe that Oliver could suddenly best them in battle by season's end.

Merlyn is at least shown to be just a bit better than Ollie, and he doesn't even lose their final match, really. Prometheus is also already known to be a slightly worse fighter, so it wouldn't be a stretch when Ollie beats him. Talia would be the wildcard here. Hopefully they won't do some nonsense like have Ollie fight her and Adrian at the same time.

caliph95

I think the problem with Slade, Darhk, and especially Ra's (and Zoom) is that when they appear, they are so far and beyond better than Oliver (and Barry) that it's ludicrous to believe that Oliver could suddenly best them in battle by season's end.

Merlyn is at least shown to be just a bit better than Ollie, and he doesn't even lose their final match, really. Prometheus is also already known to be a slightly worse fighter, so it wouldn't be a stretch when Ollie beats him. Talia would be the wildcard here. Hopefully they won't do some nonsense like have Ollie fight her and Adrian at the same time.
Also bs excuses
Oliver beaten Ra just because
Dahrk through the power of friendship or optimism or what ever
Barry beaten Zoom because Speed Force and speed remnat

ZeroX03

Banned

The final fight against Ra's will never cease to piss me off. There should be no way Oliver could beat Ra's. He didn't earn it. Nothing in that season suddenly made him a far better fighter. Ra's is more often than not an intellectual villain, Oliver should've won through brains not brawn but it just had to be a big old fight.

And Darhk was like magic can't beat love or teamwork or speed force or some shit.

Merlyn lost because Oliver had to fuck himself up to do it (that survive flashback was excellent) and he still 'won' in that his undertaking was still successful. I think Slade was fair. Oliver had enough growth since his first island fight and Slade that when he lost the mirakuru it felt like Oliver could take him on.

Yeah. A lot of shows have problems with unearned victories (like Sara suddenly being able to solo Vandal Savage or Leonardo being able to take out Super Shredder), but Ra's was worse than all of them. In their first fight, Oliver couldn't even land a single hit while Ra's was holding back any toying with him, and then suddenly, he can win an all-out fight? Say what?

caliph95

Yeah. A lot of shows have problems with unearned victories (like Sara suddenly being able to solo Vandal Savage or Leonardo being able to take out Super Shredder), but Ra's was worse than all of them. In their first fight, Oliver couldn't even land a single hit while Ra's was holding back any toying with him, and then suddenly, he can win an all-out fight? Say what?
Vandal Savage was just dumb in general in one scene he can somehow catch Barry of guard and easily kill the Hawks then Sarah can suddenly keep up with him and basically became a scrub to the legends

Season 1 was the only good one tbh until Season 5 which is the best cw dc has ever been overall imo

Season 2 had some awesome twists and reveals. Especially Slade showing up in star city. But man there's a lot of crap in that season. And the action took a step down as well

Btw this was peak Malcolm Merlyn. Dude sounded like William Defoe. Lmao the Tommy actor gets shook too

https://youtu.be/ShH8EewhsGM

That was the best fucking scene from S1 lol.

Zen Aku

There's always the Vigilante reveal.

I hop that's not Roy. At least not this Earth Roy. Actually I'm pretty surprised with all the shit Barry have done. Beside Laurel, none of the other Earth doppelganger showed up yet. It would open a whole can of crazy if Vigilante is someone from another Earth that turned evil because of circumstances.

I would legit freak out if Vigilante is another Earth's Oliver. Where he was trained with firearms instead of bow and arrows.

Also I think by now I've come to understand that Green Arrow is basically Ash Ketchum. He'll get completely overpowered in the beginning only to go on and beat the Elite Four at the end and still remain on the same level as the next season villain. He beat Ra's al Ghul. You would think he can basically stomp anyone that's not a meta by now.

Roy was Roy. I miss his flippy ass
vbVgtiQ.gif

bring your angsty, flippy ass back Roy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any reason why

Time force

Also I think by now I come to understand that Green Arrow is basically Ash Ketchum. He'll get completely overpowered in the beginning only to go on and beat the Elite Four at the end and still remain on the same level as the next season villain. He beat Ra's al Ghul. You would think he can basically stomp anyone that's not a meta by now.

But Ash has never won one for the land

Oliver beat Reverse Flash so......

Crossover force

They've actually been pretty good at showing him consistently better than most opponents this season. Having team mates to job for him helps.

Zen Aku

But Ash has never won one for the land

They've actually been pretty good at showing him consistently better than most opponents this season. Having team mates to job for him helps.

Yeah but it's always funny how Ash is still an unknown kid even though anyone who search up his name sohuld find that the dude been consistently finished at the top of every tournaments. He ain't the Patriots but he's still Packers level.

I still feel like he should have finished Tobias Church in 1 episode. I know, it wouldn't make a good story.

Speaking of jobbers, I'm still not 100% fond of Curtis. It's like he's just there... he could disappear for 3 episodes and I wouldn't even notice. Bring back Flip-Ass and Ragman.

carlsojo

I hate how much this show changes us Oliver's team with some characters disappearing only to be immediately replaced. They spent a ton of time building up Roy knowing that his actor would be leaving.

They didn't know he was leaving. From what I understood he just decided not to renew his contact and peace out.

Joni

They understressed the training they had, and they should have thrown a line in there on how Ras is getting older. They talked very little about how he could no longer use the healing fountain.

Yeah, Oliver decisively beating Ra's was bullshit and that and his effortlessly taking down Malcolm has made his fights with everyone else inconsistent if not outright stupid in a way that IMO is worse than the Flash.

Is it bad that I want Roy back? I miss his angsty ass. Reminds me of what Jason Todd would be like.

I miss his flips. It's been a long time since I had something to turn into a GIF.

Top Bottom