• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Another good one. 4 for 4. Felicity and Ragman bonding over last year's nuke going off was refreshing. They didn't draw it out and they were both being reasonable.

Loving Church. I know he isn't season long villain material, but he's a great antagonist for the new team. And Oliver was totally waiting for an entrance line, same way Malcolm Merlyn does it.

Just caught up to the season so far. Wow, the upswing is so noticeable. Went from the worst berlanti-verse show to the best for sure.

few thoughts:
- action took a step up, still some hilarious stunt double shots in here but overall some episodes are the best action i've seen in the show since season 1. back when this show used to be consistent with it on a regular basis
- Oliver is getting shit done again, so refreshing just seeing him work in his element again without all the constant questions and bickering
- flashbacks aren't boring, i'm enjoying it. haven't felt the need to skip this story at all, and with Dolph coming in soon enough it will only get better.
- dropping Olicity (or any relationship) drama works wonders for this, keep that CW fuckery away as long as you can please.
- ragman is overpowered god damn, liking the character too tbh.
- the DA looks/talks so much like a bootleg Christian Bale, it's hard to shake. but it kinda adds to his charisma a lot too, definitely the best new castmember they've added I think.
- Mr. Terrific mask looks trash, sometimes you don't gotta be so faithful to the comics brehs. not when this is what you get for it.
- Cody Rhodes was so dope. Maybe it's my wrestling bias speaking but i just loved him in here. He had the look and delivered the lines well, I think he's the best villain of the week Arrow has ever had. bring him back again one day.
- Church is a dope villain, just no-nonsense villainy.

Would be a nice dynamic change. Surprised one of the shows hasn't bitten that bullet yet. It does dramatically changes things though.

Arrow is the only show you can really do it on so far. I don't think Flash really gains anything from Barry going "I am Ironman".

Ollie though? Hoo boy...

Dereck

Blondey?

iOSyFmu.png

This dude Wild Dog outchea being wild as fuck

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow is the only show you can really do it on so far. I don't think Flash really gains anything from Barry going "I am Ironman".

Ollie though? Hoo boy...

In the comics, he (Wally) had to deal with his city not wanting him around because he was an insurance risk. He had a celebrity status he didn't quite know what to do with. Villains knew who he was and would occasionally target friends and family. Wasn't a huge change, just changed the energy in interactions. Imagine Barry showing up as The Flash and not having to vibrate his face and make a big heroic show and just be himself instead.

It'd be cool as fuck if Barry and Oliver could be the public face of heroism in the universe. The eventuality has to be some kind of public Justice Society.

In the comics, he (Wally) had to deal with his city not wanting him around because he was an insurance risk. He had a celebrity status he didn't quite know what to do with. Villains knew who he was and would occasionally target friends and family. Wasn't a huge change, just changed the energy in interactions. Imagine Barry showing up as The Flash and not having to vibrate his face and make a big heroic show and just be himself instead.

It'd be cool as fuck if Barry and Oliver could be the public face of heroism in the universe. The eventuality has to be some kind of public Justice Society.

Why not a Justice....League?

Da-Kid

Ragman really has no business being on team Arrow since he can pretty much solo them all, including Oliver without even moving.

I don't know why Curtis is in the field. He's a fucking tech guy, not a brawler. He should be behind scenes with Felicity building tech for Oliver to use.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Curtis needs to put two and two together and realize he's not a brawler and to use tech in the field.

Yeah, he needs to play to his strengths and start augmenting his field performance with technology.

I have a feeling they'll get to that after awhile. Wild Dog is the only one in the group that has his super hero identity down pat. Artemis just got her bow.

Xanathus

One huge immersion breaker with this season is how Church isn't already in custody or dead. He's just an ordinary gangster, Oliver has defeated an ex-League of Assassin member, a powered international mercenary with an army, Ra's al Ghul, and the leader of a secret organization who has magical powers. By in-show logic he should just be a one episode villain.

ZeroX03

Banned
One huge immersion breaker with this season is how Church isn't already in custody or dead. He's just an ordinary gangster, Oliver has defeated an ex-League of Assassin member, a powered international mercenary with an army, Ra's al Ghul, and the leader of a secret organization who has magical powers. By in-show logic he should just be a one episode villain.

You should probably never watch The Flash

Altairre

Man, do I have to start watching Arrow again? I dropped it halfway through season 4 and was pretty satisfied with that decision but Flash hasn't really found its stride and now I see all the positive reactions here. How bad is the second half of the last season?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, do I have to start watching Arrow again? I dropped it halfway through season 4 and was pretty satisfied with that decision but Flash hasn't really found its stride and now I see all the positive reactions here. How bad is the second half of the last season?

The back half of the back half of season 4 is actually pretty good. There's some clunkers, for sure.

If you feel like it's going to be a problem, just start with the latest season. You won't really be missing anything they won't recap quickly for you.

don't bother with season 4 it's by and large a piece of crap, might be best watching the s4 finale though to get caught up on what we're left with in season 5.

latest season is fire though, definitely get on these last 4 episodes.

I skipped nearly the entire 4th season and I'm enjoying season 5 just fine. Don't bother catching up, just go to S05E01.

morningbus

The problem with season 4 is the lows are even lower than season 3 IMO.
So while i don't think it that bad some parts really are trash .

I'd personally argue it a little differently. I think Season 3 had higher highs than Season 4, but Season 4 never gets as low as Season 3.

Didn't be just get owned by Prometheus last week? Or was that the week prior? Guy has healing factor for sure.

morningbus

Speaking of... I hope they don't kill Church off. I'd love for Team Arrow to break him, destroy his empire, but have him escape.

Then have him come back next season "leveled up." Maybe even get one of those Vixen Totems the CW Seed series is covering at the moment.

Altairre

Thanks guys I'll get back to season 4 then because I can't skip shit when I watch a series. It's either all or nothing and I made it through the shitshow that was season 3 after all. At least Darhk is charismatic and fun to watch even when they use him poorly. The Olicity drama can fuck off though. That's probably the worst thing in all these shows. Whenever they establish a relationship there has to be conflict all the time. They can't just say "yo these two are together now, let's get on with the plot", at least for a while. Just calm the fuck down. At least then there is a chance that the conflict means something when it eventually happens.

Jonogunn

So church predicted that the cops would put his bomb right by the wall in the evidence locker? That's some dark knight joker-esque planning right there.

Also I like how they kill the two cops instantly but they leave detective lance and the PR guy alone to run away lol. Poor cop. He's been working a long career there and is an honest cop.

All in all great season and I'm so happy the quality is back in this show. It was my favorite of the cw DC Shows and was sad to see it to go crap.

What I like most is that this season doesn't feel like it has the villain of the week routine so far (that all shows NEED to stop doing!!). Can't say the same for the flash though. It's definitely had a rough start to the season.

Thanks guys I'll get back to season 4 then because I can't skip shit when I watch a series. It's either all or nothing and I made it through the shitshow that was season 3 after all. At least Darhk is charismatic and fun to watch even when they use him poorly. The Olicity drama can fuck off though. That's probably the worst thing in all these shows. Whenever they establish a relationship there has to be conflict all the time. They can't just say "yo these two are together now, let's get on with the plot", at least for a while. Just calm the fuck down. At least then there is a chance that the conflict means something when it eventually happens.

Honestly the first half of the season did this....and then the crossover happened...

We can blame Barry for that.....

Top Bottom