• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Sober

Reason this won't happen: They have been very hesitant to interconnect the shows to this extent. While it certainly could start here, I wouldn't put money on it.
The only thing that honestly bothers me is how inelegant Flashpoint affects Arrow and how the show "shows" it other than "previously on Arrow and The Flash". If you missed it you basically are confused why baby Sara was replaced by John Jr.

It feels like a pretty pointless change unless they plan to address it head on instead of just being a background detail (especially considering Sara Diggle was pretty prominent as a plot device for the last season or two).

I think the start of this season goes to show that Arrow really benefits from not having OP metahumans/magicians thrown into the mix.

Ollie needs opponents that match his own abilities, and not completely dominate him (eg Darhk's force choke). Church was formidable, but not godly, and not beyond a good old fashioned ass-whooping.

Keeping things (sort of) grounded means that Ollie and the team can still take down the bad guys within their own means and not having to rely on magical artifacts and speedsters to get their job done.

Mirakuru Slade and Ragman power levels are okay though, since they aren't reality-altering powerful.

I don't think there is a problem having a OP villain be it metahumans/magicians.
The biggest problem with DD was that he was around for to long while being OP .
Having Ollie useless vs him for whole season until last 2 ep was a problem .
With Slade they did it right by having come in half way into the season .

Also ragman OP as fuck , he is in top 5 in the arrowverse depending on how magic works vs speedsters.
The dude took a nuke which is crazy lol .

ZeroX03

Banned
What stops Ragman from being too OP is that he doesn't seem to have much of a ruthless edge. That was what Oliver used to turn him in his introduction episode. He's basically a sweet, sad boy with powers he doesn't understand. Ragman could go around taking out hordes of enemies, but I doubt that would occur to him and nor is he one for dropping bodies the way Oliver does.

Comics Ragman is a lot harder and channels souls, but it doesn't seem Arrow's Rory is remotely aware of that. If they ever want to go full superhero with him he'll probably have to leave to carve out his own path or whatever excuse they need to put him on a bus.
A Shadowpact show with Constantine.

Joni

For the moment he looks like he can just toss people around. He needs to learn to do new things to become OP.

ZeroX03

Banned
For the moment he looks like he can just toss people around. He needs to learn to do new things to become OP.

He has enhanced strength, can move faster by grappling and is seemingly immune to most damage. If he just carried a gun and walked right up to villains and shot them he could get things done easily and they couldn't stop him. But again, probably wouldn't be in character for him.

Well nothing so far seem to hurt him so he can take it easy and toss people around.
If it ever get pass that stage he would need to leave the show lol.

Joni

He has enhanced strength, can move faster by grappling and is seemingly immune to most damage. If he just carried a gun and walked right up to villains and shot them he could get things done easily and they couldn't stop him. But again, probably wouldn't be in character for him.

Or something like suffocating his enemies.

Well nothing so far seem to hurt him so he can take it easy and toss people around. If it ever get pass that stage he would need to leave the show lol.

I'm thinking he won't last more than a season in any case. He'll go off defend Keystone or so.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I keep forgetting Ragman survived a direct hit from a nuke. That places him at at-least-Firestorm-levels in the universe.

Thankfully he's magic, so that also means he can be taken down with literal mumbo jumbo.

The only thing that honestly bothers me is how inelegant Flashpoint affects Arrow and how the show "shows" it other than "previously on Arrow and The Flash". If you missed it you basically are confused why baby Sara was replaced by John Jr.

It feels like a pretty pointless change unless they plan to address it head on instead of just being a background detail (especially considering Sara Diggle was pretty prominent as a plot device for the last season or two).

I do wonder if the change of Sara to Jon Jr. was to keep Flashpoint in the back of your head without it being burdensome to the story they're telling. Every time Diggle talks about his family and his son, I'm reminded of it. It would lend some credence to the idea that Prometheus may be a result of Dr. Alchemy and Flashpoint.

It could also be that they plan to make some changes to Diggle Jr., Future Arrow, on Legends, just the same though.

Either way, I do understand the balancing act they are attempting. It's kind of unprecedented to expect viewers to be watching 3 to 4 shows all at once and be keeping up with the stories and how they interconnect. They don't want to waste too much time having to explain other show's plots, so the quick recap in the beginning works for that.

I don't think there is a problem having a OP villain be it metahumans/magicians.
The biggest problem with DD was that he was around for to long while being OP .
Having Ollie useless vs him for whole season until last 2 ep was a problem .
With Slade they did it right by having come in half way into the season .
There's another key difference, though. With Slade, the Mirakuru made him unbeatable, so they plotted out a way to take away that advantage and just turn him into a tough opponent. With Darhk and Reiter, the idol made them unbeatable until they were just beatable, which was stupid.

If you take away the magic items, here's another example of it being done wrong: Ra's. In his first fight against Oliver, Ollie couldn't even touch him while he held back. Then suddenly, by the end of the season, they were on equal footing, with Ollie being a little better? That's nonsense, and the victory feels super hollow because he didn't earn it. It would have been equally--maybe more--satisfying had Barry just shown up and fucked him up with Speedforce. And they did the same shit with Zoom and Vandal Savage: they were flat out leagues ahead of everyone else in their first appearances, and then suddenly they weren't. Savage had it the worst, where in the beginning he easily curb stomped Green Arrow and Flash, and by the end of LoT season 1, he was getting bodied, solo, by Sara.

Again, this is why Merlyn was a good big bad in season 1. He was clearly better than Oliver, but he held back in their last fight because he thought of Ollie as a surrogate son, but he still won the fight. He only lost in the end because he got stabbed after he thought the fight was already over, and by season 2, we learned that that was his plan all along. That's what I'm hoping Prometheus will be like.

I actually really like that he's been making his kills off screen for now, so we can't even begin to gauge his abilities.

Ithil

With how fucking ripped Wild Dog is he's getting a huge disservice with that thing he calls a "suit".

Pretty obvious him, Artemis and Curtis will be getting proper suits later in the season, probably by the mid-season. They usually get them from the Flash team so wait for a crossover where they'll place their orders with Cisco.

Joni

They should ask Winn so Cisco doesn't have to do everything. Or whoever made the costume for Sara Black Canary.

Volimar

Ragman isn't actually immune to damage, the souls bound into the rags take the hits for him. If he runs out of souls he runs out of powers. Course, if he absorbed everyone in nuketown...

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Does this Ragman have that or did i miss a line.

I don't remember them mentioning the specifics of the suit.

From what I recall Rory's father just told him it was a family relic and to put it on to protect him from the nuclear bomb.

Tbh, if the suit can tank a nuke, it feels pretty fair to assume that it'll handle anything the criminal element of Star City can throw at it, no matter how it works out mechanically.

Joni

Tbh, if the suit can tank a nuke, it feels pretty fair to assume that it'll handle anything the criminal element of Star City can throw at it, no matter how it works out mechanically.
What if the nuke pumped up its power in the first place? So that a second nuke would negate it.

What if the nuke pumped up its power in the first place? So that a second nuke would negate it.

Wouldn't the second nuke just pump it up further? Like, he'd absorb all the souls destroyed by the nuke as it was going off and end up ahead... again. Unless they dragged him out to the middle of the desert and dropped an atom bomb on him, but again, that's not really a tool in the average Star City goon's repertoire. It's a bad place, but it's not like it's Gotham.

shingi70

Banned
Looking at the event castings and where they plan to go for the second half of the the season, I'm hoping next year's crossover takes some inspiration from Legends.

ZeroX03

Banned
Take your mind off things with a new Arrow tonight...

#5.06 "So It Begins"
Episode Promo
SINS OF THE FATHER — When Prometheus ups his killing spree, Oliver (Stephen Amell) searches for connections between the victims. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Curtis (Echo Kellum) discover the victims have a mysterious link to Oliver’s past and this new secret could upend his new team. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) has a heart-to-heart with Lance (Paul Blackthorne), and Felicity considers telling Malone (guest star Tyler Ritter) the truth about her work.
ar506b-0067b-209097.jpg

(image is a tiny spoiler I guess, but I think we need it)

Take your mind off things with a new Arrow tonight...

#5.06 "So It Begins"
Episode Promo

ar506b-0067b-209097.jpg

(image is a tiny spoiler I guess, but I think we need it)

Man Cisco really did a fine job on that helmet, it is leagues better than the last one.

Why they opted not to make him Guardian
and instead opted to make Jimmy Olsen it
and created Spartan I'm still not quite sure.

Top Bottom